HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Official Maple Leafs Trade Proposal Thread.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:17 AM
LTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML Rebuild View Post

Tomas Kaberle

Karl Alzner
Michael Nylander
2010 1st Round Pick
This trade is actually fair for both teams.

Quote:
From the Caps POV it works because Nylander is unnecessary especially at 4.85mil. Kaberle and Green would be a force on the PP along with AO, Semin, etc.
Quote:
From the Leafs POV it's iffy. The value of the returns are fair but Alzner wouldn't cover that #1 we're looking for and leave us with this:

Alzner Kommy
Beauch Schenn

Can that top four produce enough long term to nullify the need for an offensive #1? I would lean towards no.

The one year remaining on Nylander isn't problem but it would take away the chance of Bozak cracking the top two. Supposedly he's terrible on the wing.

The 1st would be fine at 20+ in 2010.
Could Burke then parlay those two assets off to another team to acquire that forward? Quite possibly.

The Hawks could really use an Alzner type while we could ask for one or two of that newly signed group. That could clear around 3mil for the Hawks and it's a youth for youth deal.

EDIT: The deal from Chicago:

David Bolland(3mil) + Troy Brouwer (1mil)
for
1st (wash) + Alzner (875K)

Hawks Savings:3.125mil

Bolland and Brouwer would allow us to move a few top six vets to other teams for youth/picks.

Last edited by LTL: 07-19-2009 at 12:30 AM.
LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Inigo Montoya

Alzner does have the mobility so it could be possible for his offensive game to further develop. In terms of my trade proposal, I believe a low-level prospect should be added to the trade due to the fact that we are taking on Nylander's salary and therefore are doing them a favour.

Karl Alzner
Joel Broda
Michael Nylander
2010 1st Round Pick

Tomas Kaberle

I'm sure we could then move Nylander at the trade deadline to acquire a prospect or a pick as I am sure a playoff team that suits his style of play would be interested in his services.

Inigo Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 12:34 AM
LTL

Quote:
Alzner does have the mobility so it could be possible for his offensive game to further develop. In terms of my trade proposal, I believe a low-level prospect should be added to the trade due to the fact that we are taking on Nylander's salary and therefore are doing them a favour.

Karl Alzner
Joel Broda
Michael Nylander
2010 1st Round Pick

Tomas Kaberle

I'm sure we could then move Nylander at the trade deadline to acquire a prospect or a pick as I am sure a playoff team that suits his style of play would be interested in his services.
If it were a longer term I might agree but only having the one year it's not that much of a favour. Overall though I'm a fan of that deal if we're able to parlay those assets elsewhere. Those are the perfect returns for those teams above the cap.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
This trade is actually fair for both teams.

Could Burke then parlay those two assets off to another team to acquire that forward? Quite possibly.

The Hawks could really use an Alzner type while we could ask for one or two of that newly signed group. That could clear around 3mil for the Hawks and it's a youth for youth deal.

EDIT: The deal from Chicago:

David Bolland(3mil) + Troy Brouwer (1mil)
for
1st (wash) + Alzner (875K)

Hawks Savings:3.125mil

Bolland and Brouwer would allow us to move a few top six vets to other teams for youth/picks.
Were giving up a top prospect and a first round pick for a grinder who hasn't shown he can produce even when playing with Toews and a second line centre? I would rather keep those two assets.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:39 AM
LTL

Quote:
Were giving up a top prospect and a first round pick for a grinder who hasn't shown he can produce even when playing with Toews and a second line centre? I would rather keep those two assets.
I guess the difference is both our views on the worth of Alzner.

It's those types of creative deals I'm expecting from a Burke though. Shuffling assets in a youth for youth deal is something we should be looking into.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Inigo Montoya

Quote:
I guess the difference is both our views on the worth of Alzner.
It's those types of creative deals I'm expecting from a Burke though. Shuffling assets in a youth for youth deal is something we should be looking into.
Very True.
I view him as a defenseman with good mobility that can still develop an offensive game due to the fact he is still only 20 years old. If not, he is a solid penalty killer with good mobility to move the puck out of the zone.

I could however see Chicago being interested in a guy like Mike Van Ryn or Garnet Exelby. I think we could get a decent forward prospect for one of those players.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:56 AM
LTL

Quote:
Very True.
I view him as a defenseman with good mobility that has can still develop an offensive game due to the fact he is still only 20 years old. If not, he is a solid penalty killer with good mobility to move the puck out of the zone.

I could however see Chicago being interested in a guy like Mike Van Ryn or Garnet Exelby. I think we could get a decent forward prospect for one of those players.
Something is definitely possible between these two teams. We both have an abundance of the other teams needs.

Would they take Finger is the question? We'll have to receive 3-4mil more then Fingers 3.5 to make it worth their while.

I really see some potential in that Bolland kid.

Old
07-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Something is definitely possible between these two teams. We both have an abundance of the other teams needs.

Would they take Finger is the question? We'll have to receive 3-4mil more then Fingers 3.5 to make it worth their while.

I really see some potential in that Bolland kid
Definitley. The kid has a great shot and throws the body around a lot even though he isn't overly large.If a trade were to happen with Chicago, I would assume Bolland would be on Burke's list.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya: 07-19-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
scdn

Ian White
for
Mason Raymond
3rd rd pick

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm curious to read some speculation from Leafs fans on Matt Stajan, his availability, and what type of return might be expected in a trade. This isn't really a proposal, but I thought I might just give this a go, here, rather than start a whole new thread on the subject, considering it's just purely speculative.

Do you think he could be available for picks and prospects, or would Burke almost definitely be looking for NHLers? Could he go on his own, or would he most likely be part of a package? Is there any chance he's traded before camp, or is he most likely a deadline candidate? Or will he be shopped, at all?

I know the Leafs have been loading up on young guys, but they were also so active in bringing in veterens, as well, so I don't really know what to make of the situation.

Also, I know that there is probably no real way of knowing, but you guys are the ones who pay closest attention to the Leafs, so I'm just looking to read some "expert" speculation.

Reason I ask, is that I think he'd be a good fit in Phoenix, but the Coyotes aren't in a position to be giving up NHL players, right now. I'm thinking Calgary's first(which we got in the Jokinen trade) might be our best "futures" type of asset that we'd actually be willing to move in a trade for an NHLer. Obviously guys like Ekman-Larsson, Chris Brown, Boedker, Tikhonov, Turris, Ross, Mueller, Summers, Hanzal, MacLean, Porter, Ahnelov, ect. probably aren't available. Clearly Phoenix needs to compete sooner than later, but really, our youth is all we have. Which is why I think that if we're going to see Phoenix make some moves, they're probably going to be involving 2010 and 2011 draft picks. We've got some extra picks in both drafts(Calgary's 2010 1st and Philly's 2011 2nd), and would probably be more willing to part with some potential young talent that is further away that what we have in our current pool.

I know there's a good chance that Toronto isn't looking for that kind of return. Which is fine. I'm sure there are other teams looking at moving comparable players for assets that don't count against the cap. I just figured I ask about Stajan, too.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm curious to read some speculation from Leafs fans on Matt Stajan, his availability, and what type of return might be expected in a trade. This isn't really a proposal, but I thought I might just give this a go, here, rather than start a whole new thread on the subject, considering it's just purely speculative.

Do you think he could be available for picks and prospects, or would Burke almost definitely be looking for NHLers? Could he go on his own, or would he most likely be part of a package? Is there any chance he's traded before camp, or is he most likely a deadline candidate? Or will he be shopped, at all?

I know the Leafs have been loading up on young guys, but they were also so active in bringing in veterens, as well, so I don't really know what to make of the situation.

Also, I know that there is probably no real way of knowing, but you guys are the ones who pay closest attention to the Leafs, so I'm just looking to read some "expert" speculation.

Reason I ask, is that I think he'd be a good fit in Phoenix, but the Coyotes aren't in a position to be giving up NHL players, right now. I'm thinking Calgary's first(which we got in the Jokinen trade) might be our best "futures" type of asset that we'd actually be willing to move in a trade for an NHLer. Obviously guys like Ekman-Larsson, Chris Brown, Boedker, Tikhonov, Turris, Ross, Mueller, Summers, Hanzal, MacLean, Porter, Ahnelov, ect. probably aren't available. Clearly Phoenix needs to compete sooner than later, but really, our youth is all we have. Which is why I think that if we're going to see Phoenix make some moves, they're probably going to be involving 2010 and 2011 draft picks. We've got some extra picks in both drafts(Calgary's 2010 1st and Philly's 2011 2nd), and would probably be more willing to part with some potential young talent that is further away that what we have in our current pool.

I know there's a good chance that Toronto isn't looking for that kind of return. Which is fine. I'm sure there are other teams looking at moving comparable players for assets that don't count against the cap. I just figured I ask about Stajan, too.
Do you think Phoenix is in a position to take on more salaries?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Do you think Phoenix is in a position to take on more salaries?
The speculation is that our budget is 44 million...

1.Shane Doan 4,550,000
2.Scottie Upshall 2,500,000 <--------Probably less(still RFA)
3.Matthew Lombardi 2,350,000
4.Petr Prucha 1,100,000
5.Vernon Fiddler 1,100,000
6.Mikkel Boedker 875,000
7.Viktor Tikhonov 875,000
8.Peter Mueller 850,000
9.Martin Hanzal 850,000
10.***GOON*** *750,000* <--------Probably less(our GM has said he will add a tough guy, though)
11.Lauri Korpikoski 650,000

1.Ed Jovanovski 6,000,000
2.Jim Vandermeer 2,300,000
3.Adrian Aucoin 2,250,000
4.Kurt Sauer 1,750,000
5.Zbynek Michalek 1,500,000
6.Keith Yandle 1,100,000
7.Sami Lepisto 550,000

1.Ilya Bryzgalov 4,250,000
2.Jason LaBarbera 1,000,000

=37.15M in actual dollars (cap-hit is higher due to ELC bonuses likely to be un-earned)

(assumes that Turris is in the AHL, Winnik is AHL or moved, and that we can somehow manage to move Fedoruk and Hale who will make a combined 1.775M, next year).

D and G are set.
So, that would leave at least 6.85 million that we can spend on two forwards.

That said, the team IS in bankruptcy and is obviously not in a position to be taking salary dumps, but we can afford to add a couple of fairly compensated players that will actually help the team win.

Old
07-20-2009, 02:58 AM
weems

Quote:
The speculation is that our budget is 44 million...

1.Shane Doan 4,550,000
2.Scottie Upshall 2,500,000 <--------Probably less(still RFA)
3.Matthew Lombardi 2,350,000
4.Petr Prucha 1,100,000
5.Vernon Fiddler 1,100,000
6.Mikkel Boedker 875,000
7.Viktor Tikhonov 875,000
8.Peter Mueller 850,000
9.Martin Hanzal 850,000
10.***GOON*** *750,000* <--------Probably less(our GM has said he will add a tough guy, though)
11.Lauri Korpikoski 650,000

1.Ed Jovanovski 6,000,000
2.Jim Vandermeer 2,300,000
3.Adrian Aucoin 2,250,000
4.Kurt Sauer 1,750,000
5.Zbynek Michalek 1,500,000
6.Keith Yandle 1,100,000
7.Sami Lepisto 550,000

1.Ilya Bryzgalov 4,250,000
2.Jason LaBarbera 1,000,000

=37.15M in actual dollars (cap-hit is higher due to ELC bonuses likely to be un-earned)

(assumes that Turris is in the AHL, Winnik is AHL or moved, and that we can somehow manage to move Fedoruk and Hale who will make a combined 1.775M, next year).

D and G are set.
So, that would leave at least 6.85 million that we can spend on two forwards.

That said, the team IS in bankruptcy and is obviously not in a position to be taking salary dumps, but we can afford to add a couple of fairly compensated players that will actually help the team win.
How about Stajan and Ian White for Keith Yandle and Calgary's 2010 first rounder ?

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:33 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Kaberle for Alzner, Nylander, and 1st? No way we'd get that return. They would want to get rid of Mikey due to his cap. Getting Kaberle in return saves them like only .5 mil. Also, I think your SERIOUSLY underrating Alzner. He would probably be our second best prospect behind Kadri. Drafted 3 drafts ago at # 5. 2 years ago he reaped a significant number of major awards for his play in junior. Last year he performed to what realistic expectations were. The guy will probably end of being a #2 dman with good but not great offence, good defence, and physicality.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:19 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
How about Stajan and Ian White for Keith Yandle and Calgary's 2010 first rounder ?
Not something I'd be interested in, personally. Yandle's upside is too great. Last season, at only twenty two, he lead all Coyotes defensemen in points per game. He'd have easily outscored even Jovanovski if our head coach had even the slightest idea about how to do his job properly. Two years before that, Yandle was an AHL All-Star(in his first AHL season), and the year before that, he was named CHL defenseman of the year(in his first CHL season). He just signed a contract worth only 2.4 million over the next two years(1.2 per). He might be our highest scoring defenseman in that span. That's just too valuable for a broke team to give up.

Last edited by rt: 07-20-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old
07-20-2009, 04:21 AM
weems

Quote:
Not something I'd be interested in, personally. Yandle's upside is too great. Last season, at only twenty two, he lead all Coyotes defensemen in points per game. He'd have easily outscored even Jovanovski if our head coach had even the slightest idea about how to do his job properly. The year before that Yandle was an AHL All-Star, and the year before that he was named CHL defenseman of the year. He just signed a contract worth only 2.4 million over the next two years. He might be our highest scoring defenseman in that span. That's just too valuable for a broke team to give up.
Ya I agree that would be favoring the Leafs. Im a Yandle fan and in your earlier post you didnt mention him as a player that was untouchable so I thought he might be available thru trade.

Would you deal Calgarys first straight up for Stajan?

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:06 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Ya I agree that would be favoring the Leafs. Im a Yandle fan and in your earlier post you didnt mention him as a player that was untouchable so I thought he might be available thru trade.

Would you deal Calgarys first straight up for Stajan?
Thats a bit much IMO.

Maybe Calagaryy's first, and Pheonixes 3rd for Ian White and Matt Stajan.

Matt Stajan is worth a 35-40 spot IMO. Calgary will be around 25th overall, give or take a few. Ian while has similar value to Stajan. IMO probably a little more... (30 range).

So Maybe Calgary's 24th Overall Pick (Just a guess), and Pheonix's 70th Overall Pick (Just a guess) for Stajan and White.???

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
bobermay

The latest rumour with the Leafs is with Sharp... But San Jose is also Interested in a trade:

How about a three way??? Why not???

To Chicago: Alexei Ponikarovsky, Ian White, Future 2nd from Toronto
To San Jose: Matt Stajan, Patrick Sharp, Lee Stempniak, Jordan Hendry
To Toronto: Patrick Marleau, Jonathon Cheechoo, Dustin Byfuglien

Toronto Loses:
Ponikarovsky
White
Stajan
Stempniak
Future 2nd
=7.205 Mil in Salary

Toronto Gains:
Marleau
Cheechoo
Byfuglien
=12.3 mil

Total Salary Difference:5.095 Mil in Salary Taken on.

San Jose Loses:
Patrick Marleau
Jonathon Cheechoo
= 9.3 Mil in Salary

San Jose Gains:
Matt Stajan
Patrick Sharp
Lee Stempniak
Jordan Hendry
=8.775

San Jose still loses .525 Mil in Salary

Chicago Gains:
Ponikarovsky
Ian White
Future 2nd
=2.905 Mil in Salary

Chicago Loses:
Patrick Sharp
Dustin Byfuglien
Jordan Hendry
= 7.525 Mil in Salary

Chicago Loses 4.62 Mil in Salary

Thoughts?

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Cool Hand Luke
My Name is Jonas

To Washington:
Kaberle

To Toronto:
Nylander
John Carlson
1st 2010

I think Carlson is more likely a return. I feel like that's a good thing, as he is the future offensive defender we would be looking for to replace Kaberle in a few years. 76 points in 59 games playing on the London Knights blue line, as well as 22 points in 15 playoff games last year. He's big, American (which I'm sure Burke likes), and has played with Kadri before.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Budsfan

Wow a lot of trades and some make sense and some just out there...LOL

So here's one, that I thought up and I will undoubtedly, get flamed for but.....

To Ottawa
Thomas Kaberle 4.25 mill cap hit
Jason Blake 4.00 " " "

To Toronto
Dany Heatley 7.50 mill cap hit

Difference .750 Mill

Reason for trade we get a number 1 left winger 28 yrs. old and signed for 5 yrs. and still young enough to be a building block going forward.

Ottawa gets out of his trade demand and gets a Premier puck moving defenceman and a LW that still puts up pretty fair numbers.

I would like to keep Kaberle, I think he is a very good "D" but we need a player like Heatley to build around but if Kabs isn't traded. I will be just as happy to hang onto him.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Wow a lot of trades and some make sense and some just out there...LOL

So here's one, that I thought up and I will undoubtedly, get flamed for but.....

To Ottawa
Thomas Kaberle 4.25 mill cap hit
Jason Blake 4.00 " " "

To Toronto
Dany Heatley 7.50 mill cap hit

Difference .750 Mill

Reason for trade we get a number 1 left winger 28 yrs. old and signed for 5 yrs. and still young enough to be a building block going forward.

Ottawa gets out of his trade demand and gets a Premier puck moving defenceman and a LW that still puts up pretty fair numbers.

I would like to keep Kaberle, I think he is a very good "D" but we need a player like Heatley to build around but if Kabs isn't traded. I will be just as happy to hang onto him.

Have you not the word 'character' in your dictionary?

I wouldn't take Heatley if he was on a free transfer.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
8.Peter Mueller 850,000
9.Martin Hanzal 850,000

The two players that would interest the Leafs, future centers with top 6 potential.

I think Burke would have more interest in the American player, so would probably offer more.

If you want a top pairing defender something could probably be worked out with two main assets being Kaberle and Mueller. Kaberle's is 4.25 for the next two seasons. Not sure exactly, but Burke wants Bluechipper / 1st. line (potential), pick and depth player for Kaberle.

Kaberle, Stajan

for

Mueller, Summers, 1st.

If you want a 6'4", 220 lbs., forward who'll score 20+, goals and be good defensively along with quiet leadership (but like Stajan is UFA after this season), Ponikarovsky seems to play well with anyone you line him up beside (2.5 cash, 2.1 cap). Hanzal + for Poni and Stajan?

Hanzal, 2nd.

for

Ponikarovsky, Stajan

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.

Last edited by ULF_55: 07-20-2009 at 09:02 AM.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Have you not the word 'character' in your dictionary?

I wouldn't take Heatley if he was on a free transfer.
I agree his Character is in Question and he has a history of problems but Blake also had a history of similar problems and is, or was, a Royal pain in the dressing room and he is not going to be part of this team going forward.

My biggest concern with Heatley is his NTC and if things did go sour, could we trade him and get a good return but there is no doubting his skill and scoring ability.

The trade however, is probably never going to even be considered, Burke has already stated, he doesn't like players, that make trade demands in the media, so it is, just for conversation.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Zeeker17

What do you guys think it would take to get Clutterbuck?

Zeeker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
DJIncognito

Excelby and Stempniak for Radulov

DJIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote