HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #1

View Poll Results: Who's the Rangers' top prospect?
Ryan McDonagh 8 4.26%
Bobby Sanguinetti 1 0.53%
Michael Del Zotto 5 2.66%
Chris Kreider 0 0%
Artem Anisimov 98 52.13%
Evgeny Grachev 76 40.43%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Harrison Ford

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No "h", my friend.
Spehlling, bleh.

Old
07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
What is this based on? 80 points in 60 games isn't that spectacular for a 19 year old. If he got that many points 2 years ago, then I'd have agreed with you. Even if he did it in his pre-draft year, I could see a potential argument for it. But in the post-draft year, future stars must get 100 points+.

Do you remember our old prospect Bob Maudie? He had 101 points as a 19 year old and never went anywhere, being unable to establish himself even in the AHL.

His linemate was Hnat Dominechelli who had 148 points (12 points than his linemate Jerome Iginla), but also became a minor leaguer.

I get that stats aren't everything, but elite talent should be able to get 100 points in juniors as a 19 year old.
Who says that if drafted you must get 100+pts in juniors to be elite? I want sources.

Old
07-18-2009, 06:21 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
What is this based on? 80 points in 60 games isn't that spectacular for a 19 year old. If he got that many points 2 years ago, then I'd have agreed with you. Even if he did it in his pre-draft year, I could see a potential argument for it. But in the post-draft year, future stars must get 100 points+.

Do you remember our old prospect Bob Maudie? He had 101 points as a 19 year old and never went anywhere, being unable to establish himself even in the AHL.

His linemate was Hnat Dominechelli who had 148 points (12 points than his linemate Jerome Iginla), but also became a minor leaguer.

I get that stats aren't everything, but elite talent should be able to get 100 points in juniors as a 19 year old.
He was 18 for most of the season and only one player in the O (John Tavares) broke 100 points last year.

IF he was in the Q, he would have broken 100 with ease.

Old
07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
jniklast

Quote:

yeah or ryan getzlaf who even two years after his draft managed 54 points in 51 games

such players can obviously never become stars...

Old
07-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Based on ceiling I go with Grachev.

Based on certainty I go with Anisimov.

Since this is "top" prospect, which I delineate from "best" prospect, I'm gonna go with Grachev.

By the way, how cool is it that, on a team whose strength is considered it's D prospects, our top two guys seem to both be forwards?

Old
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
E-Train

AA, add Stepan

Last season was Grachev's 18 year old season. He won't be 20 until next February!

Old
07-18-2009, 07:20 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

AA

Add Stepan

Old
07-18-2009, 07:21 PM
dank

AA

Add Stepan

Old
07-18-2009, 08:35 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
AA. Add Gilroy.

Old
07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
darko

AA for me but Grachev is also a good choice. It's not a bad thing when there is a debate for your No1 prospect...

Old
07-18-2009, 09:02 PM
gravytrain6t

MDZ and Sangs - I hope Sather keeps both.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:02 PM
squishy

As if anyone has to ask who I'd vote #1.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
As if anyone has to ask who I'd vote #1.
sanguinetti?

Old
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Grachev.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
sanguinetti?
You'll be surprised how high I vote for him. He really came along in the second half of the season.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Based on ceiling I go with Grachev.

Based on certainty I go with Anisimov.

Since this is "top" prospect, which I delineate from "best" prospect, I'm gonna go with Grachev.

By the way, how cool is it that, on a team whose strength is considered it's D prospects, our top two guys seem to both be forwards?

Yeah, I still don't know what we are supposed to be basing our selections on. Is it who will will become a better player, or who is the safer pick?

Kind of like the poll for best forward in the other forum. What is the definition of best forward? Is a guy who scores 40 goals a season and adds 30 helpers a better or worse forward than someone who nets 30 goals and adds 50 assists each year?

Old
07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Salvage21

Artie. Add Stepan(obviously).

Old
07-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, I still don't know what we are supposed to be basing our selections on. Is it who will will become a better player, or who is the safer pick?
I think it's a balance. I kind of see Anisimov's ceiling as a 2nd line player and Grachev's as a first. But Anisimov is ready to play in the big leagues, although not fulfilling his potential quite yet. Given the fact that there are probably about half as many legitimate first line players as "top 6" players in the league, that makes Grachev's potential substantially more significant to me than Anisimov's readiness. We'll see. I could be crazy.

Anisimov is my #2, though.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Kind of like the poll for best forward in the other forum. What is the definition of best forward? Is a guy who scores 40 goals a season and adds 30 helpers a better or worse forward than someone who nets 30 goals and adds 50 assists each year?
I've been advocating--for over a year!--for us to agree on some sort of criteria for voting. Should we focus mainly on upside? Or on how likely someone is to make it? Filling an organizational need? Etc. Personally, I try to weigh each equally.

But no one else ever showed any interest.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Should we focus mainly on upside? Or on how likely someone is to make it? Filling an organizational need?

Organisational need shouldnt play a part. When I vote I look at the combination of upside and risk factor (RF by a slightest margin). For instance AA is closer but he has marginal 1st / 2nd line potential. Grachev or the other hand has legit 1st line potential but is still a year or away from making any impact.

JMO

Old
07-19-2009, 12:36 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I think it's a balance. I kind of see Anisimov's ceiling as a 2nd line player and Grachev's as a first. But Anisimov is ready to play in the big leagues, although not fulfilling his potential quite yet. Given the fact that there are probably about half as many legitimate first line players as "top 6" players in the league, that makes Grachev's potential substantially more significant to me than Anisimov's readiness. We'll see. I could be crazy.

Anisimov is my #2, though.
I agree. That's why I went with Grachev.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
yeah or ryan getzlaf who even two years after his draft managed 54 points in 51 games

such players can obviously never become stars...
I never said that they can't be stars, don't change things around.

I said that you can't expect them to be stars. Luc Robitaille was drafted in the 11 round, but that doesn't mean that we can now expect all late round picks to become Hall of Famers.

The expectation that Grachev will be at least a first liner and maybe an All Star is based on nothing. I'd say second line is more like it. If he does better than second line, than he overachieved.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Organisational need shouldnt play a part. When I vote I look at the combination of upside and risk factor (RF by a slightest margin). For instance AA is closer but he has marginal 1st / 2nd line potential. Grachev or the other hand has legit 1st line potential but is still a year or away from making any impact.

JMO
I absolutely agree with you. I was just listing the most common criteria I hear used by posters here for ranking prospects.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:41 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've been advocating--for over a year!--for us to agree on some sort of criteria for voting. Should we focus mainly on upside? Or on how likely someone is to make it? Filling an organizational need? Etc. Personally, I try to weigh each equally.

But no one else ever showed any interest.
Well I for one apologize about missing your cause. If everyone is using a different standard I don't really see the point of even voting in these polls.

As for what I think it should be...these are prospect polls. By definition, prospects are not sure things. So to me it's all on upside. Assuming each guy becomes the best they can be...at the end of the day who is better?

Old
07-19-2009, 01:48 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I really don't get why so few people like Sang. So what if his preseason wasn't great last year? The kid finshed his junior career with over ppg, scoring almost as much as Grachev just did, but he did it as a defenseman.

His rookie year the AHL was great. He had over half a point per game and really improved as the year wore on. In the playoffs, while facing tougher opposition (only 3 lines play and they work harder on defense, and the goalie is never the backup), he had 5 points in 6 games, almost ppg.

Sang is vastly underrated here. I think he will make the team this upcoming year. I think he will be an excellent defenseman for us dithin 2 years.

I would bet that he will not be ranked in the top 5 by the voters, but I promise you that when all is said and done, he will be in the top 3, and maybe even the best NHLer among our group of prospects.

I would not rank him as our #1 prospect, but he is certainly much better than most people here give him credit for.
Who is hating on Sangs? He is certainly one of our top prospects. I think many people kind of saw MDZ as our more shiny, newer toy and that certainly knocked him down a bit. But you are right, he could fall just out of our top 5.

Closed Thread