HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bad Pick, More Or Jess

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2004, 07:23 AM
  #1
KING
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Bad Pick, More Or Jess

http://nypost.com/sports/rangers/22196.htm

KING is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 07:37 AM
  #2
Tommy Udo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Jeez, everyone knew this kid was a bit of a risk when he was drafted.

Liked the info on Hugh but could do without Brooks' melodrama.

Tommy Udo is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 07:39 AM
  #3
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
I don't like Jessimen and was very disappointed when they drafted him. I wish him the best...but my guts screams BUST. That's jus my opinion, so please keep the flaming to a minimal.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 07:50 AM
  #4
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Everone knew that Jessiman was a very risky pick. Probably the riskiest in the first round. A lot of us questioned the pick, but still see the upside. In what was the strongest draft in 25 years, Jessiman will either be one of the top powerforwards in the league or one of the biggest 1st round busts ever (think Daigle). We were all hoping for Phanuef, but once he got taken, you just knew that Jessiman would be the pick. Guess they got tired of hearing how we have no prospects w/ size up front and decided to draft the biggest project out there.
While I would not have picked him, I do see the possibilities. The thing is that Hugh must be given time and patience. Hartford is not the answer for him next year. He needs at least another year of college and THEN at least one full year in the AHL. After that, we all know that powerforwards develop more slowly. So I think that IF Hugh is not a bust, he is still 2-3 years away from being on the big team and a few more after that until he can begin making an impact.
But make no mistake about it, rush the kid now, and the chances of him becoming a bust are so much greater.

True Blue is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 07:59 AM
  #5
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Everone knew that Jessiman was a very risky pick. Probably the riskiest in the first round. A lot of us questioned the pick, but still see the upside. In what was the strongest draft in 25 years, Jessiman will either be one of the top powerforwards in the league or one of the biggest 1st round busts ever (think Daigle). We were all hoping for Phanuef, but once he got taken, you just knew that Jessiman would be the pick. Guess they got tired of hearing how we have no prospects w/ size up front and decided to draft the biggest project out there.
While I would not have picked him, I do see the possibilities. The thing is that Hugh must be given time and patience. Hartford is not the answer for him next year. He needs at least another year of college and THEN at least one full year in the AHL. After that, we all know that powerforwards develop more slowly. So I think that IF Hugh is not a bust, he is still 2-3 years away from being on the big team and a few more after that until he can begin making an impact.
But make no mistake about it, rush the kid now, and the chances of him becoming a bust are so much greater.
Excellent post. I definitely have my fingers crossed for him. Given this teams penchent for drafting career 4th liners and minor leaguers...you can't help being nervous when they go out and pick a project as large as Jessimen. You know at some point the organization will drop this egg...

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 08:20 AM
  #6
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Everone knew that Jessiman was a very risky pick. Probably the riskiest in the first round. A lot of us questioned the pick, but still see the upside. In what was the strongest draft in 25 years, Jessiman will either be one of the top powerforwards in the league or one of the biggest 1st round busts ever (think Daigle). We were all hoping for Phanuef, but once he got taken, you just knew that Jessiman would be the pick. Guess they got tired of hearing how we have no prospects w/ size up front and decided to draft the biggest project out there.
While I would not have picked him, I do see the possibilities. The thing is that Hugh must be given time and patience. Hartford is not the answer for him next year. He needs at least another year of college and THEN at least one full year in the AHL. After that, we all know that powerforwards develop more slowly. So I think that IF Hugh is not a bust, he is still 2-3 years away from being on the big team and a few more after that until he can begin making an impact.
But make no mistake about it, rush the kid now, and the chances of him becoming a bust are so much greater.
Good post. I too can do without the Brooks melodrama and it is too early to write the kid off.

However, this team was not/is not in a position to take a risk with that pick. Parise was more of a sure thing (and it sounds like the Rangers really liked him) than Jessiman is/was. It seems to me that Sather and Co. liked Jessiman as much for the fact that he was born in NYC and a Ranger fan as much as what he might become. And that is not the way to draft. If the Rangers had a core, were a lock playoff team for the past few seasons, were a Cup contender, had prospects who were ready to step in, then it might make sense to take a chance. But that was not the case. It was an excellent draft and the Rangers needed to make sure that they get a guy they know will play for them one day. It can't be said about Jessiman at this point.

Of course, hindsight is20/20.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 08:23 AM
  #7
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
My GOD, this guy is one year removed from being drafted and he's being labeled a bust? Anyone that labels him a bust knows nothing about developing players, especially power forwards. Brooks has nothing else to write about so he writes this C%ap.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 08:27 AM
  #8
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Brooks has nothing else to write about so he writes this C%ap.
That is the biggest thing to take away from this article.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 08:33 AM
  #9
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
My GOD, this guy is one year removed from being drafted and he's being labeled a bust? Anyone that labels him a bust knows nothing about developing players, especially power forwards. Brooks has nothing else to write about so he writes this C%ap.

No one here is labeling him anything other than what he is: a Huge PROJECT. If Jessimen were packaaged with Lundmark + ??? for the #1 overall, I wouldn't bat an eye at it. Of course, I'm not say it's the right move to make, or that everyone should agree...that's just what I would do.

As SBOB said, Jessiman was the wrong pick for the wrong franchise.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:04 AM
  #10
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think HJ will be fine. Btw, there is NO WAY that Parise is 5'11". I was standing right next to him last night, and I thought he was shorter (maybe as tall) as I am, and I'm not even 5'10".

Forechecker is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:10 AM
  #11
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
I think HJ will be fine. Btw, there is NO WAY that Parise is 5'11". I was standing right next to him last night, and I thought he was shorter (maybe as tall) as I am, and I'm not even 5'10".

Sounds like we missed out on getting Mike York, Part II. Oh no!

jas is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:19 AM
  #12
Pooh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
was Hugh one of the oldest players picked in the first round?

Pooh is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:22 AM
  #13
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
for years and years people screamed and yelled about how the rangers always drafted 'smurfs' when their biggest need was a power forward and then the finally draft a potential power forward and people complain that we didn't take the 'smurf'...does anyone else see irony in that?

don't get me wrong, i think parise is a damn good player, but i have absolutely no doubt that if we picked him people would be saying 'great another undersized player'

NYR469 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:27 AM
  #14
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
HJ is the classic high risk/high reward type of pick where as Zach was a much safer pick and will be a very good player and to me being we're in the situation we're in I'd have taken the safer selection.

JR#9* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:44 AM
  #15
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
a misleading article by larry brooks, what a surprise... the guy can write the best articles any given day but he just wants to be a major cynic all the time...

in the hall is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:53 AM
  #16
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
HJ is the classic high risk/high reward type of pick where as Zach was a much safer pick and will be a very good player and to me being we're in the situation we're in I'd have taken the safer selection.
I have more faith that this orgainzation better suited than in the past to develop a player like Jessiman. On their own draft board, they had Jessiman as the fourth best player in the draft - behind Staal, Zherdev and Phanuef. This team has six picks to get a player like Parise. I don't have a problem grabbing Jessiman.

jas is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:03 AM
  #17
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I have more faith that this orgainzation better suited than in the past to develop a player like Jessiman. On their own draft board, they had Jessiman as the fourth best player in the draft - behind Staal, Zherdev and Phanuef. This team has six picks to get a player like Parise. I don't have a problem grabbing Jessiman.
Parise was and is the better player and has great upside with more of a chance to fulfill his potential. I had a problem and still do with taking Jessiman ahead of Parise. JMHO. That said, I think Jessiman was a decent pick, he has great potential and that's what he was drafted for. Now hopefully he doesn't bust.

AJ1982 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
  #18
vbox81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
I personally have no problem with the draft of Jessiman - as a poster sayed earlier, power forwards do tend to have a longer development period (Bertuzzi is a recent classic, though typing his name pains me).

Side note: Though this might seem pretty obvious to me, Larry Brooks just might have some kind of personal vendetta against Sather. Most of what he's written in the recently has been venemous op/ed type of articles, trying to malign anything to do with the Sather regime. If he writes an article about Ted Green, that'll be the clincher...

vbox81 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:12 AM
  #19
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
Parise was and is the better player and has great upside with more of a chance to fulfill his potential. I had a problem and still do with taking Jessiman ahead of Parise. JMHO. That said, I think Jessiman was a decent pick, he has great potential and that's what he was drafted for. Now hopefully he doesn't bust.

My biggest point is this franchise is not in the position where they have the luxury of rolling the dice on a pick (anymore than any pick is). This team, before the Crazy Slats Blowout Sale, had no real core of prospects to speak of. This team could not/ can not afford to have Jessiman not pan out.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
  #20
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
I personally have no problem with the draft of Jessiman - as a poster sayed earlier, power forwards do tend to have a longer development period (Bertuzzi is a recent classic, though typing his name pains me).

Side note: Though this might seem pretty obvious to me, Larry Brooks just might have some kind of personal vendetta against Sather. Most of what he's written in the recently has been venemous op/ed type of articles, trying to malign anything to do with the Sather regime. If he writes an article about Ted Green, that'll be the clincher...

How can you not be out to blast Slats ways of running the NYR's over the last 4 yrs as a beat writer that follows the team????

The guys arrogance has amazingly gone up while his results have gone down even worse then what they were his last few years in Edm!!!

JR#9* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:01 AM
  #21
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
My biggest point is this franchise is not in the position where they have the luxury of rolling the dice on a pick (anymore than any pick is). This team, before the Crazy Slats Blowout Sale, had no real core of prospects to speak of. This team could not/ can not afford to have Jessiman not pan out.
I disagree, due to the Crazy Slats Blowout Sale (as you most aptly put it). Taking Jessiman was more of a risk last year than it is now, due to the arrival of prospects. The Rangers now have nine picks in the first two rounds of each of the next two drafts. The have greatly upgraded their depth at defense - Pock, Liffiton, Kondratiev and Rachunek, to go along with Tyutin, Baranka, Taylor and Potter. They have improved their depth at forward - Balej, Betts, Umberger, Immonen, Moore, Kozak, Helminen and Kozak added to Murray, Lundmark, Dawes, Ortmeyer. If anything, a home run pick with top line ability IS needed. For my liking, Parise sounds a lot like a York/Gomez type of player. Jessiman, OTOH, sounds like a player with home run capability, which is what is lacking in the organization. Yes, patience is greatly needed. And, this organization in the past, has not been conducive to development. However, a player like Tyutin shows me that a change is coming. I would have agreed that last was not a great time to take a chance on such a wild card. I think circumstances have changed.

jas is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
  #22
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
This was my Pre-Draft analysis a few days before last years draft:


Ok folks, draft time is upon us & I’m here to point out some potential Ranger picks.
This years draftee’s are a well talked about bunch, and with good reason. The first round should produce many future NHL’ers. But which ones will be at the #12 pick, if the Rangers are still there. I can’t see a deal being struck to move up, but crazier things have happened. Moving back may make some sense, but when all is said & done, I’m betting that we keep the pick to use it on the following (assuming Staal, Horton, Coburn, Suter, Vanek, Zherdev, Michalek, Fleury are all taken by our pick):

1)Dion Phaneuf – D – 6’2,205 – Red Deer(WHL) – He’s big, he’s solid defensively, & he has better than average puck skills. When it comes down to it, this guy just flat out scares opponents with his nasty, aggressive play. That being said, I would be shocked to still see him on the board at #12. In fact, if he’s still up there at #10, I wouldn’t bet against Sather dealing something to the Habs to insure we get Dion & not Booby & the Flyers at #11. Again, looks like he’ll be gone by 12.

2)Hugh Jessiman – RW- 6’4,205 – Dartmouth(ECAC) – Speaking of big players…the HUGE Specimen! As a freshman in the ECAC this year, he took command inside opponents blueline with his huge reach & surprising stickhandling. For a big guy, he moves quite fluidly. Of course, he was responsible for Dartmouths offensive production, so he rarely threw his body around, so some scouts see him as not utilizing his size. But they said the same about Todd Bertuzzi, so the subjects debatable. However, since making the jump from a noncompetitive high school league to Division 1, he hasn’t displayed good defensive play in his own zone. That will come in time, he’s a bright kid, and has the enthusiasm to learn/progress. A Ranger fan, but we won’t hold it against him.

3)Ryan Getlaf – C/W – 6’3,200 – Calgary(WHL) – Tough customer who brings attitude & muscle into every hit. He goes to the net hard & isn’t shy in the corners, he finishes his checks. The offensive output (29-39-68 in 70 games) is not mindblowing, but he does have some decent skills, so he may just need some time to hone them. A leader on & off the ice. Born in Regina, hometown of Ranger’s draft pick Garth Murray. Both of them on the same line would be ferocious. Ryan can play all 3 forward positions & was a mainstay on the Calgary PP & PK(6 shorties on the year).

4)Zach Parise – C – 5’11,187 – North Dakota(WCHA) – Though not huge by today’s NHL standards, Parise scores points & finds ways to work through the opponents hard hits. He’s not big, but has a solid frame & would likely play in the NHL at 6’0,195-200. A true playmaker & absolute gamebreaker on the PP.

5)Ryan Kesler – C/W – 6’2,200 – Ohio State(CCHA) – An excellent two way player, he was named best player of the tournament in the World under 18’s last August, helping the USA capture the Gold medal(proven winner). Ryan caught fire at the WJC’s in December & played in every situation for a very good Ohio State team. Not flashy, but his skills are sneaky & he’ll go to the net with no fear. Probably will play pro as a Winger, but is a good faceoff man, and like Getzlaf is a good penalty killer.


Yes, i think as an organization Parise would've been the safe pick. I've now seen Jessiman play 4 games since the start of his Freshman year and i still feel he's a keeper, but one that will take at least 4 more years of learning, growing, and adapting into the Pro game.


Last edited by Bluenote13: 03-31-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:58 AM
  #23
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'd rather have Hugh Jessiman at 22-23 yrs old for ten years than ZP at 20 with the potential of ZP getting "ruined" in the pros. The conservative style of the Devs will give ZP the time to mature (if he needs it). HJ is going to be a force for us, a real Leclair type, but as was said before, on a much longer timetable.

Forechecker is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:59 AM
  #24
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
This is just typical irresponsible Larry Brooks reporting. So Pariswe is at the NHL level already. Big freakin' deal. Jessiman would be too if he wanted to leave school. Getting there is nothing, what you do when you get there is what counts. So Parise's grand total of one game is enough to declare Parise a better pick? Whatever. Larry Brooks is a moron. Remember the year he wrote that the Rangers MUST take the opportunity to sign Jeremy Roenick and give up the five first rounders necessary to do it? Yeah, Larry, you'd make a heck of a GM. That way the Flyers would be worrying about whether or not we were going to finish in the lottery and if THEY were going to move up to grab Ovechkin. Disregard this garbage.

SML is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
  #25
RANGER#11
Registered User
 
RANGER#11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, New York
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
I had the chance to see him play a couple times this year and although I agree he is still a work in progress (which is what he should be at this stage) he played well and I was very impressed how well he played both ends of the ice. The big proulblem was he had to guys on him most of the time and man do they like to hit the big guy on the ice which he most sure was. My family and myself had the opertuneity after the game to speak with him. And I know it means nothing to his on ice performance but he is a great guy. He came out of the locker room with duck taped ice packs on and signed all kinds of RANGER things for my kids and had a nice chat with my wife and I.His mom was also there and also talked with us as a matter of fact she was the one that went in to the locker room to get him. His mother is the one that told us is pushing him in to staying in school. I think he would sign now if not for her. I realy like this kid.

RANGER#11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.