HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mark Messier

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 04:59 PM
LeetchForever2

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LeetchForever2 Send a message via AIM to LeetchForever2 Send a message via MSN to LeetchForever2 Send a message via Yahoo to LeetchForever2
Mark Messier

I'm awfully torn on which way to look at Messier right now. So, as Ranger fans if he plays his last home game at MSG this year and your before warned, do you see him getting booed at all? He pulled a lot of crap towards the end of the season that I for one wouldn't give him an ounce of respect for, but I suppose the good outweighed the bad over the course of the years.

So.. Respect, or not?

Old
03-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Fletch

I actually think...

there are few fans who would boo him. I don't recall him being booed, and I don't think he will be booed. And it's not his fault that the coaching staff played him 18-20 minutes per game, nor is it his fault that the GM paid him $x million per game.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Edge

I'd give him a standing ovation.

The man can still play hockey and frankly he did it better than most people on this team this year.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:44 PM
in the hall

i dislike him now but i'll love him the second he retires

Old
03-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

The man can still play hockey and frankly he did it better than most people on this team this year.

the fact is messier was one of the best rangers this year. he didn't quit on this team unlike a lot of guys

Old
03-30-2004, 07:10 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchForever2
I'm awfully torn on which way to look at Messier right now. So, as Ranger fans if he plays his last home game at MSG this year and your before warned, do you see him getting booed at all? He pulled a lot of crap towards the end of the season that I for one wouldn't give him an ounce of respect for, but I suppose the good outweighed the bad over the course of the years.

So.. Respect, or not?
No offense, but if he announces he's retiring and you boo, you're nuts. He is a top 5 player of all time, brought us the cup, and has done nothing but work his ass off for this team and the city of NY. Don't want to get back into the previous post form a while ago debating this same topic (for like 17 pages), but like him or not, he is owed that amount of respect ...

Old
03-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
whether you like the man right now or not, he is a legend. he deserves every ounce of respect if he does retire. i hope anyone that boos him gets beat up outside of MSG later that night.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

Those are my feelings too. So many people have been on his back this year because he didn't retire and because he plays so many minutes, but look at what he did. And these people treated Richter and Leetch the same way too. It just irritates me.

If Mess decides to come back next year I won't complain. Who are any of us to tell him when he should retire? I just hope that if he does come back he doesn't take away from the kids, because now we actually have some lol.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

So.. Respect, or not?
I've been to quite a few Ranger games since Leetch was traded and I haven't heard anyone boo Messier. Not when he touches the puck, not when his name is announced, not when his picture is shown on the gardenvision. In fact, when his name is announced (for example for an assist), there are cheers.

Anyone who even considers booing Messier tomorrow--whether he plays or not, announces his retirement or not or whatever-- is, as far as I'm concerned, a cretin who knows very little about hockey.

(just had to use one of these new smilies)

PS: Messier can play for my team for as long as he feels he can.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I've been to quite a few Ranger games since Leetch was traded and I haven't heard anyone boo Messier. Not when he touches the puck, not when his name is announced, not when his picture is shown on the gardenvision. In fact, when his name is announced (for example for an assist), there are cheers.

Anyone who even considers booing Messier tomorrow--whether he plays or not, announces his retirement or not or whatever-- is, as far as I'm concerned, a cretin who knows very little about hockey.

(just had to use one of these new smilies)

PS: Messier can play for my team for as long as he feels he can.
Two months ago, I would have disagreed. But I'm with you Brooklyn. Tomorrow should be all about Messier and he should be viewed as one of the better Rangers to have ever played the game. And I'll be there cheering him!

Old
03-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Dear Lord, if one cannot show respect to without question one of the very best of all-time on what may very be his last night in the NHL, one is an ingrate.

Messier is an imperfect human being, an imperfect athlete. Big deal. He's the #1 reason it's not 64 years and counting without a Cup in NYC. Despite diminished skills, he's played with enthusiasum and heart until the very end (as opposed to Jagr, who's loafing was highlighted on tonight's TSN broadcast of the game). And, he was the elixer, the grit, of arguably the greatest team of all-time.

And yet a few would even consider booing him Wednesday night?

Truly sad.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:22 AM
in the hall

i will never boo messier, i just can not stand him... like i said i dislike him now but i'll love him the second he is retired because thats when the past counts

Old
03-31-2004, 11:11 AM
moosemessier

the man had a nice year at the age of 43. he does care. one reason enough for him to keep playing - he LOVES the game. always has and always will.

he feels partly responsible for takingon this team and guaranteeing playoffs. he probably will come back. i feel there is more of a chance for them to make playoffs next year than this year (i know hindsight). last nights game was horrid.

i would like messier to retire when HE is ready and not brooks and others. how is he hurting this team? he isnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
i will never boo messier, i just can not stand him... like i said i dislike him now but i'll love him the second he is retired because thats when the past counts

Old
03-31-2004, 11:35 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:

So.. Respect, or not?
In my humble opinion he is one of the greatest RANGERS ever. And deserves respect.

Closed Thread