HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*IF* We Were To Trade A Player, Whom Should It Be?

Old
07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
*IF* We Were To Trade A Player, Whom Should It Be?

As we've been hearing for some time now, the task of re-signing Toews, Kane, and Keith next off-season is going to be challenging. No matter the cost, we can be confident that the organization is going to get these integral parts of our core taken care of. This is the major assumption this post is based on.

However, this necessary task is going to come at a price. Some are going to leave as either RFA's or as UFA's. The possibility also exists that a trade will be necessary to get us under the cap for the 2010/11 season. The question being proposed here is: IF a trade were to be made, whom should the Hawks let go?

The Blackhawks' notable free agents for next season (aside from the big three)are as follows with their respective cap numbers:

RFA's

RW - Jack Skille (1,275,000)
D - Niklas Hjalmarsson (643,333)
D - Jordan Hendry (625,000)

Arbitration Elgible RFA's
LW - Andrew Ladd (1,550,000)

UFA's

C - John Madden (2,750,000)
LW - Ben Eager (965,000)
RW/C - Adam Burish (712,500)
C - Colin Fraser (700,000)
D - Aaron Johnson (540,000)

For a second let's assume none of these players were to re-sign. This is the roster we would have under contract for the 2011-2012 season:

Sharp - Toews - Kane
Byfuglien - Bolland - Hossa
Brouwer -Kopecky - Versteeg
x - x - x

Keith - Seabrook
Campbell - Barker
x - x

Huet
Crawford

Of the remaining free agents for next off-season, I would say the two priority guys are Andrew Ladd and Niklas Hjalmarsson. Ladd's two-way play and top-6 minutes cannot immediately be replaced within the organization. Dustin Byfuglien would be a step down both offensively and defensively. Being an RFA, he would likely command a contract similar, if not identical to Byfuglien's(3 yrs./$9 mil.). Hjalmarsson is a cheap, important cog as well. He deserves a raise but likely not much of one. He'll command a contract somewhere in the range of 1.5 mil per year, if that. Both Ladd and Hjalmarsson should and will be kept if the Hawks want to sustain their success.

Then, the second tier guys that would be nice to re-sign but aren't essential to our success are Ben Eager, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser, Aaron Johnson, and Jordan Hendry in that order. Of this group Jordan Hendry is an RFA, and the rest are UFA's. More likely than not, Burish, Fraser, and Johnson will test the FA waters while Eager and Hendry remain Hawks. Hendry will stay because he is an RFA, he will be cheap, and he will likely see bottom pairing minutes if re-signed. Eager will be kept because he brings a necessary tough element, he is relatively cheap, and he is a fan favorite.

At this point, it's necessary to talk about Jack Skille. Some like him, but most hate him. Personally, i'm indifferent. I am in agreement with most people on the idea that Skille will never be a top-6 forward on the Blackhawks. He's not much of a playmaker at all. He really lacks offensive awareness, and his shot isn't nearly as impressive as it was touted during his draft year. His shooting percentage proves that to be true. If .093% doesn't cut it versus AHL goalies, he doesn't stand much of a chance on our top-6. His skating is good, and his defensive play is adequate. He wouldn't be a bad player on our bottom-6, but we have cheaper options. His value is likely at its highest now. If we can him ship him out for Josh Harding or Jonathan Bernier straight up, i'd take either of those deals in a heartbeat. If not, this is his year to show why we drafted him so high or to get shipped out. Look for him to take the next step in his game by the All-Star break, or he will be dealt to the highest bidder. Either way, I don't see him fitting into our plans for 2010/11. Jack Skille should be moved ASAP while he still has decent value around the league.

With Ladd, Hjalmarsson, Eager, and Hendry re-signed, that would leave us with two open roster spots, one wing and one center.

This is where our prospects get a chance to shine. I see a few guys with a decent shot of making the 2010/11 roster. Those guys include but are not limited to:

RW/C - Akim Aliu
LW/C - Kyle Beach
RW - Igor Makarov
LW - Billy Sweatt
C - Jacob Dowell
D - Shawn Lalonde

The overwhelming amount of our depth in our farm system lies on the wings, specifically right wing. Aliu, Beach, and Makarov, and Sweatt all flash the potential to be top-6 players. Sweatt is a notch below the other three, but if he continues to work on his hands at Colorado College, he could very well be a top-6 forward. They'll have to earn their chops on the bottom-6 first though, and they should have no problem doing so because they all can play a two-way game. Dowell is already an excellent defensive center and figures to fit nicely in the 3rd line center role sooner rather than later.

The main point to understand here is the great top-end depth we have on the wings. We have 3 players who can realistically become good, if not great two-way players and score around 60-80 points in their prime. This fact, in my opinion, makes Kris Versteeg expendable.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a big Versteeg fan. He's dynamite on offense. He's a good playmaker and he can score. Defensively he's adequate, but he definitely lacks a physical presence. He's not a complete liability like Pat Kane, but I definitely rank him next to Kane in terms of defensive ability on our team. Aliu, Beach, and Makarov all have similar, if not higher offensive upside. They all have better size and can bring a more physical presence which we are in need of. Anything we can do to improve our defense without severely hampering our offense is a smart move. I would be confident with either three of these guys replacing Versteeg in the 2010/11 season. Of course the main reason for this move is his cap number. It's hard to warrant $3 million a year for Versteeg. It's to merit Byfuglien's salary as well. However in Byfuglien's defense, our team is lacking in the physicality department where it isn't in goal scoring. If it weren't for the offer sheet blunder, Versteeg likely would've been signed for substantially less money or let go via an offer sheet. That debacle is past, and we have Versteeg signed to a contract. By trading him we can free up some cap space, get a few good prospects, and give our own prospects a chance to play.

When all is said and done, I am thinking our 2010/11 roster looks something like this:

Sharp - Toews - Kane
Ladd - Bolland - Hossa
Byfuglien - Aliu - Makarov
Eager - Kopecky - Brouwer

Keith - Seabrook
Campbell - Barker
Hjalmarsson - Hendry

Huet
Crawford (Hopefully Harding/Bernier)

What do you guys think?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Sean Avery*

I seriously like the strength of that 3rd line... skill + size = a stereotypical 4th line on steroids.

I don't think we can afford to lose Barker right now unless anyone has faith in Sopel. I wouldn't mind seeing Steeger go, I could also part with Sharp.

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 09:47 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
I seriously like the strength of that 3rd line... skill + size = a stereotypical 4th line on steroids.

I don't think we can afford to lose Barker right now unless anyone has faith in Sopel. I wouldn't mind seeing Steeger go, I could also part with Sharp.
Hah. I completely forgot about Sopel. It's been set in my mind for a while that he will be either buried in Rockford or traded. I don't see him factoring into our future plans at all.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:29 PM
kingsofLA

With Quick coming in and playing like he did last year and I certainly think he could do it again this up coming year...I think it is going to make Jonathan Bernier expandable especially the likes of Martin Jones and Jeff Zatkoff coming through the pipelines. Now, I know my fellow kings fans won't say he is availabe because of the position he was drafted in, being a first rounder and all, anyways

do you guys see a kyle beach for bernier as possible because i see him as a perfect line mate for schenn on our second line in the near future

curious on what u guys think, thanks

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofLA View Post
With Quick coming in and playing like he did last year and I certainly think he could do it again this up coming year...I think it is going to make Jonathan Bernier expandable especially the likes of Martin Jones and Jeff Zatkoff coming through the pipelines. Now, I know my fellow kings fans won't say he is availabe because of the position he was drafted in, being a first rounder and all, anyways

do you guys see a kyle beach for bernier as possible because i see him as a perfect line mate for schenn on our second line in the near future

IMO I'd want to keep Beach... he has way too much potential and is underrated by many in my eyes.

Old
07-18-2009, 11:05 PM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
IMO I'd want to keep Beach... he has way too much potential and is underrated by many in my eyes.
beach certainly has a lot of potential and I think Lombardi knows that, the rumor with the Tuebert pick from last years draft was that he wanted to use it on Kyle Beach, but you guys ended up picking him, a pick before us and so right after the selection the kings brass got together to get ready for another trade which up we ended up switching 1st rounders + something else with buffalo

Old
07-18-2009, 11:19 PM
caliamad

Ducks fan here.

First off, I come in peace. I don't mean to hijack the the thread, but I figured this would be an appropriate place to gauge interest in a proposal.

From what I read, the hawks are focused on the following:

1) Win Cup next year
2) Have concerns about re-signing RFAs, Toews, Kane, Kieth next year
3) Have Concerns about Huet getting the job done come playoff time next year

Given, I wanted to see what interest there might be in the following proposal:

Barker +
Niemi

Hiller
Depth defenseman (Festerling, Brookbank, Mikkelson, Salcido)... take your pick

Note: Hiller and Brookbank, Salcido are UFAs next year. Festerling is a RFA and Mikkelson has 1 year left on his deal (2 way contract, ~600 k base, 200k bonuses he'd unlikely make).

Thanks in advance.

The reason the ducks are considering this:

1) we bet the farm on Jiggy, like Huet, we can't move that contract, but we think Jiggy will bounce back

2) Are defense is questionable. Niedermayer, Whitney, Wiz, Boynton, Brookbank and a prospect/kids are leading the way. This gets scarier when you consider Niedermayer, Brookbank, and Boynton are all UFAs next year, and likely gone/retiring.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 11:21 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofLA View Post

You don't think Skille for Bernier straight up would be fair value? They are both underachieving high 1st round draft picks. Maybe a change of scenery would do them both good. We'll even sweeten the deal. How about Skille + Brouwer for Bernier and a 3rd?

Old
07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Ducks fan here.

First off, I come in peace. I don't mean to hijack the the thread, but I figured this would be an appropriate place to gauge interest in a proposal.

From what I read, the hawks are focused on the following:

1) Win Cup next year
2) Have concerns about re-signing RFAs, Toews, Kane, Kieth next year
3) Have Concerns about Huet getting the job done come playoff time next year

Given, I wanted to see what interest there might be in the following proposal:

Barker +
Niemi

Hiller
Depth defenseman (Festerling, Brookbank, Mikkelson, Salcido)... take your pick

Note: Hiller and Brookbank, Salcido are UFAs next year. Festerling is a RFA and Mikkelson has 1 year left on his deal (2 way contract, ~600 k base, 200k bonuses he'd unlikely make).

Thanks in advance.

The reason the ducks are considering this:

1) we bet the farm on Jiggy, like Huet, we can't move that contract, but we think Jiggy will bounce back

2) Are defense is questionable. Niedermayer, Whitney, Wiz, Boynton, Brookbank and a prospect/kids are leading the way. This gets scarier when you consider Niedermayer, Brookbank, and Boynton are all UFAs next year, and likely gone/retiring.
Every team's top goal should be to "WIN CUP NEXT/THIS YEAR". Only way we take Hiller is if Huet is off the books... if Huet is already gone, I'll take this deal in a heartbeat.

Old
07-18-2009, 11:25 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Ducks fan here.

I understand where you're coming from. This thread is intended to be amongst Hawks' fans to determine which player would be the best to move. There's a thread in the Trade Proposals and Free Agency forum that is full of Hawks proposals. As for your trade, Barker is off limits. You'll have an easier time proposing a trade with Campbell, Huet, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Brouwer, and even Sharp rather than Barker.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:40 AM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
You don't think Skille for Bernier straight up would be fair value? They are both underachieving high 1st round draft picks. Maybe a change of scenery would do them both good. We'll even sweeten the deal. How about Skille + Brouwer for Bernier and a 3rd?
In terms of value, I won't comment on something I don't know because I have no idea of Skilles' development. It's like when people write about Jack Johnson, but anyways.
Now Bernier surely is no Roy, but the dude is pretty damn good. Stats' wise he posted a 2.40 gaa on the youngest ahl team or close to. The reason why Bernier wasn't with the big club all last year, cause management wanted to slowly develope their prized goaltender. I think they wanted to give him atleast 2 years of ahl experience and last year being his 1st. With their last goalie who busted for that, who was Jamie Storr, they do not want to make the mistake twice.

while the counter proposal looks good, i don't think brouwer would get lombardi interest as much as would as Beach would because of their sky high potential of bernier and beach

Old
07-19-2009, 02:27 AM
yellowtree

I would like to have Hiller in our team, he is able to replace Huet if necessary. As a D-man, i would take Brookbank.

yellowtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post

When all is said and done, I am thinking our 2010/11 roster looks something like this:

Sharp 3.9 - Toews 5.25 - Kane 5.25
Ladd 2.5 - Bolland 3.3 - Hossa 5.3
Byfuglien 3.0 - Aliu .875 - Makarov .875
Eager 1.0 - Kopecky 1.2 - Brouwer 1.0

Keith 5.25 - Seabrook 3.5
Campbell 7.1 - Barker 3.0
Hjalmarsson 1.5 - Hendry .750

Huet 5.625
Crawford 1 Mil (Hopefully Harding/Bernier)

What do you guys think?
Doesnt fit, we would be roughfully 5mil over the cap.

We might have to actually do what Pierre Mcguire said with this roster, throw Huet in the minors.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
Doesnt fit, we would be roughfully 5mil over the cap.

We might have to actually do what Pierre Mcguire said with this roster, throw Huet in the minors.
Pierre McGuire is a ****ing idiot for saying that, really. Did Huet **** his wife or something? Pierre has always had some bad **** to say about Huet, and that's the lowest he's gone.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote