HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top 10 All-time Defensemen

Old
11-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Axxellien

vCash: 500
yawnin somemore

..Bob 2nd Goalie Goldham & Doug Diesel Mohns should have been inducted ages ago & i can most certainly make a strong case for all of the above

Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:02 AM
pluppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxellien View Post
..Bob 2nd Goalie Goldham & Doug Diesel Mohns should have been inducted ages ago & i can most certainly make a strong case for all of the above
and as TDMM said, what does that have to do with the top 10 defencemen of all time list?

pluppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:02 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Other than the possibility of Lidstrom over Blake, a year that he did finish as first team all star at least, there is no year that Lidstrom should have won the Norris that he didn't. Your edit had little to do with Lidstrom's main competition being Bourque's earlier competition except generally past their peaks. That said Lidstrom definitely could have made second team in either 96 or 97.
Not saying he should've won more Norrises or ASTs just saying he would've got more consideration and possibly votes if he was recognised for what he did earlier.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Lidstrom has always been one of my favorite players, but some of these comparisons to Orr are making me not even want to get into this thread.

Anyways, I do not have time to read and respond to everything, but I will jump in on the end here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Not saying he should've won more Norrises or ASTs just saying he would've got more consideration and possibly votes if he was recognised for what he did earlier.
He was recognized early. This romanticizing of how Lidstrom was overlooked early is a bit misleading. Lidstrom was immediately noticed when he entered the league.

Lidstrom was not yet the perfect machine he would later become on defense early in his career. He made more mistakes and was not as good offensively. His passive "Bend, don't break" style was less effective before pads became much larger and goaltending styles changed. Konstantinov on the other hand always was a bit more solid defensively during that first score of years before the game evolved.

I have been in this argument countless times, and watched him evolve over the years, and nobody is ever going to convince me he was as good in his first 5 years as he became in the late 90's.

In his first season, 80 games, 60 points, he was ranked 8th among all defensemen in voting and was runner up for the Calder to Pavel Bure(Whom many argued he should have beaten). But who was beating him in voted that he should have been considered over in voting?

Leetch and Bourque hit #1 and #2. Housley was #3 and granted, he was sad defensively, but he lead his team in scoring that year by over 20 points, and outscored a not so perfect defensively Lidstrom by 26 points. Stevens scored 59 points in 11 less games than lidstrom, and while Stevens was not yet the defensive beast he would later become, he was still more of a force in that department. Macinnis also was a great two way player and scored 77 points. Murphy less so, but still very good and scored 77 points and Chelios was in his prime. A beast defensively with near the same amount of points.

In his second year, Lidstrom regressed a bit.

In 93-94, Lidstrom scored 56 points and was improving defensively and got his first Norris vote. But again, who should he be getting votes over? Top 3 for the norris were Bourque, Stevens and Macinnis, all who deserved to be there. Following them were Zubov, Leetch and Chelios. Zubov is the weakest of the 3, but he outscored Lidstrom by 33 points.

In 94-95, Lidstrom did not have a noteworthy regular season.

In 95-96, the top 3 were solid(Chelios, Bourque, Leetch), and he had no case to be above them although he had a great year and was ever improving. The 4th spot was split between Lidstrom and 2 of his teammates. Again, Konstantinov was a beast and this argument will go on forever, but I think he was the better Dman that year(I made a post once detailing how Konstantinov's points were severely limited by his lack of PP time due to Coffey/Lidstrom). You can make a case for Lidstrom over Coffey I suppose.

In 96-97, yes I agree you can make a case for Lidstrom over a few of those who were voted in above him as Lidstrom was coming into his own defensively. But those players had compelling cases that year as well. At this point, the game was evolving in a way that perfectly complimented Lidstrom's game.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxellien View Post
..Not a word or mention of Fern Flaman, Leo Boivin, Bob Goldham, Marcel Pronovost. Doug Mohns, Allan Stanley...Bill Quackenbush..
Because this isn't a Top 100 All-time Defensemen thread.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Lidstrom has always been one of my favorite players, but some of these comparisons to Orr are making me not even want to get into this thread.

Anyways, I do not have time to read and respond to everything, but I will jump in on the end here.

He was recognized early. This romanticizing of how Lidstrom was overlooked early is a bit misleading. Lidstrom was immediately noticed when he entered the league.

Lidstrom was not yet the perfect machine he would later become on defense early in his career. He made more mistakes and was not as good offensively. His passive "Bend, don't break" style was less effective before pads became much larger and goaltending styles changed. Konstantinov on the other hand always was a bit more solid defensively during that first score of years before the game evolved.

I have been in this argument countless times, and watched him evolve over the years, and nobody is ever going to convince me he was as good in his first 5 years as he became in the late 90's.

In his first season, 80 games, 60 points, he was ranked 8th among all defensemen in voting and was runner up for the Calder to Pavel Bure(Whom many argued he should have beaten). But who was beating him in voted that he should have been considered over in voting?

Leetch and Bourque hit #1 and #2. Housley was #3 and granted, he was sad defensively, but he lead his team in scoring that year by over 20 points, and outscored a not so perfect defensively Lidstrom by 26 points. Stevens scored 59 points in 11 less games than lidstrom, and while Stevens was not yet the defensive beast he would later become, he was still more of a force in that department. Macinnis also was a great two way player and scored 77 points. Murphy less so, but still very good and scored 77 points and Chelios was in his prime. A beast defensively with near the same amount of points.

In his second year, Lidstrom regressed a bit.

In 93-94, Lidstrom scored 56 points and was improving defensively and got his first Norris vote. But again, who should he be getting votes over? Top 3 for the norris were Bourque, Stevens and Macinnis, all who deserved to be there. Following them were Zubov, Leetch and Chelios. Zubov is the weakest of the 3, but he outscored Lidstrom by 33 points.

In 94-95, Lidstrom did not have a noteworthy regular season.

In 95-96, the top 3 were solid(Chelios, Bourque, Leetch), and he had no case to be above them although he had a great year and was ever improving. The 4th spot was split between Lidstrom and 2 of his teammates. Again, Konstantinov was a beast and this argument will go on forever, but I think he was the better Dman that year(I made a post once detailing how Konstantinov's points were severely limited by his lack of PP time due to Coffey/Lidstrom). You can make a case for Lidstrom over Coffey I suppose.

In 96-97, yes I agree you can make a case for Lidstrom over a few of those who were voted in above him as Lidstrom was coming into his own defensively. But those players had compelling cases that year as well. At this point, the game was evolving in a way that perfectly complimented Lidstrom's game.
Yes, I agree that Konstantinov was better defensively and Coffey offensively but who of them were better all-around? Lidström.

You can make a case for Lidström from the '96 season.

Only arguement from me is that Leetch wasn't solid in the top 3 in '96. Sure he produced very well offensively but his defensive skills were lacking.

Old
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Fredrik_71

It often takes time for a swedish player to adjust to the NHL. Our system at home with bigger rinks and a more static less physical game produces players that are solid but needs acclimatization. There are lots of examples of this. I think Lids is a prime example of a player that needed this time to find his style in the NHL.

The finns on the other hand as a group are much more NHL ready (but are in a slump on a national level).

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

A bit late to the party, but here's my list anyways:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Doug Harvey
3. Eddie Shore
4. Raymond Bourque
5. Nicklas Lidstrom
6. Denis Potvin
7. Red Kelly
8. Larry Robinson
9. Brad Park
10a. Chris Chelios
10b. Viacheslav Fetisov

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Yes, I agree that Konstantinov was better defensively and Coffey offensively but who of them were better all-around? Lidström.

You can make a case for Lidström from the '96 season.

Only arguement from me is that Leetch wasn't solid in the top 3 in '96. Sure he produced very well offensively but his defensive skills were lacking.
You're trying to give the impression that Leetch was poor defensively and that quite simply was not the case.
His offensive abilities were obviously greater than his defensive but he was no slouch either, he was still above average.
He was also more physical than he gets credit for, even had a penchant for delivering a big hit from time to time.
We're not talking about a Coffey here and especially not a Housley.

People can scream bias and crap all they want imo but the reality is imo that Lidstrom got recognized and rewarded pretty close to what he deserved.
Trying to make his competition look worse than they were makes you no better than the people that do the same for Lidstrom.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:04 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
You're trying to give the impression that Leetch was poor defensively and that quite simply was not the case.
His offensive abilities were obviously greater than his defensive but he was no slouch either, he was still above average.
He was also more physical than he gets credit for, even had a penchant for delivering a big hit from time to time.
We're not talking about a Coffey here and especially not a Housley.

People can scream bias and crap all they want imo but the reality is imo that Lidstrom got recognized and rewarded pretty close to what he deserved.
Trying to make his competition look worse than they were makes you no better than the people that do the same for Lidstrom.
All I said is that he wasn't a solid top 3. Not that he was worthless. I know he could play physically and throw a big hit. In '96 Leetch werent far above average defensively.

Old
11-22-2010, 06:06 AM
lazerbullet

I don't want to start a new thread. So here we go.

After seeing such a strong start from Lidström... I wonder how would some extra hardware impact his ranking in all-time list.
Another Norris?
Maybe another Cup?
Another Conn Smythe?
All three?

Most of the people slot Lidström between Bourque and Potvin. There are people, who consider Potvin to be better. In my eyes another strong season (even without any hardware) should put Lidström easily ahead of Potvin. To pass Bourque is bit trickier. But if he wins them all? Is it enough? I have feeling... yes!

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
ushvinder

king clancy and earl siebert always get shafted in these lists, thier credentials would suggest they are just as good as chelios.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:47 AM
overg

Any of those things is probably going to get him the majority of votes over Potvin, to the extent he doesn't already have them. As for Bourque, here's how I would predict things would wash out:

A Hart would bump him over Bourque for most.

Another Conn Smythe would do it for some, and might get him neck and neck with Bourque.

Another Norris would pick him up some more support, but he'd still be behind Bourque for the majority.

Another Cup would pick him up a smattering of votes.

A Lady Byng probably wouldn't change anything.

A combination Norris and Conn Smythe and he probably goes slightly ahead of Bourque.

Once again, just predicting what would happen to his ranking around here. It's obviously highly unlikely he wins a Hart, and I wouldn't dream of calling a Stanley Cup winner or Conn Smythe recipient in November. So if I had to guess based on where we stand today, I'd say Nik might pull in one more Norris and firmly establish himself between Bourque and Potvin on most lists. So I don't expect a lot of opinions to change.

The one other thing that could move him would be to be in Norris contention for another few years.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote