HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not give PA parenteau a shot?

Old
07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Is it true his defense is subpar?
Byers'? Or Parenteau's? I'm going to assume you mean Paretneau...

Yes, the knock against P.A. has always been his defense. But he made a lot of progress in that department last season, and it eventually earned him a permanent spot on the Pack's second PK unit (with Moore, behind Ouellette/Owens and ahead of Anismov/Dupont).

He's never going to be suitable for a checking role in the NHL, but IMHO his defensive liabilities are overrated at this point. They're certainly not significant enough to keep him out of the NHL on their own.

Next to Lisin, Parenteau is Blair Betts.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Wait, are you suggesting Parenteau is some kind of soft finesse player?
Not at all. I'm suggesting Parenteau wouldn't be tough to play against at the NHL level, not to mention his lacking defensive abilities. He's more "feisty" than tough.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Byers'? Or Parenteau's? I'm going to assume you mean Paretneau...

Yes, the knock against P.A. has always been his defense. But he made a lot of progress in that department last season, and it eventually earned him a permanent spot on the Pack's second PK unit (with Moore, behind Ouellette/Owens and ahead of Anismov/Dupont).

He's never going to be suitable for a checking role in the NHL, but IMHO his defensive liabilities are overrated at this point. They're certainly not significant enough to keep him out of the NHL on their own.

Next to Lisin, Parenteau is Blair Betts.
So what kind of success would he have on AA's line with lets say Avery on their wing?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Not at all. I'm suggesting Parenteau wouldn't be tough to play against at the NHL level, not to mention his lacking defensive abilities. He's more "feisty" than tough.
So are Callahan and Higgins. Kotalik and Lisin are neither, but there's still a perception they can fit into Tortorella's system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
So what kind of success would he have on AA's line with lets say Avery on their wing?
None. Because that's how much success they had together in the Hartford last season.

That combo needs a big-bodied mule like Byers or Dupont to do the hard work along the boards and then crash the net and wait for the magic to happen.

Old
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Remembering Parenteau's preseason action last season, he looked like a star who could set up and direct a power play. The problem is, he looked like an AHL star. Unfortunately Parenteau is one of those players who may be able to pot 15 goals 40 points on the season in the NHL, but will never get the chance because he is not suited for the 3rd line and is not quite good enough for the second. I would not be at all surprised if that is the case here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
D713B

Quote:
So are Callahan and Higgins. Kotalik and Lisin are neither, but there's still a perception they can fit into Tortorella's system...
Callahan and Higgins bring much more to the table than PA. Kotalik is a proven NHL PP player with a big body and Lisin is 23 and oozes offensive abilities in a large frame. I don't know that Lisin is a lock with his defensive liabilities but comparing Callahan, Higgins and Kotalik to PA is absurd. Sorry Squish.

Feisty was only an adjective I used to describe PA because you apparently thought that I believed he was some finesse player. The others bring more to the table.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
squishy

Quote:
Callahan and Higgins bring much more to the table than PA. Kotalik is a proven NHL PP player with a big body and Lisin is 23 and oozes offensive abilities in a large frame. I don't know that Lisin is a lock with his defensive liabilities but comparing Callahan, Higgins and Kotalik to PA is absurd. Sorry Squish.

Feisty was only an adjective I used to describe PA because you apparently thought that I believed he was some finesse player. The others bring more to the table.
Of course they bring more to the table than PA, that's why they're in the NHL already. But you said he wasn't tough to play against and didn't fit the this new and improved "tougher to play against" Tortorella mold. My point, though I did a crap job of making it, was that he can be a feisty little ***** who absolutely can be a pain in the ass to play against.

I'll accept the argument that he's not fast enough or dynamic enough or defensively reliable enough to play in the NHL. But dismissing him because of this vague "he doesn't fit in Torts new tougher to play against system" is silly, imho.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Of course they bring more to the table than PA, that's why they're in the NHL already. But you said he wasn't tough to play against and didn't fit the this new and improved "tougher to play against" Tortorella mold. My point, though I did a crap job of making it, was that he can be a feisty little ***** who absolutely can be a pain in the ass to play against.

I'll accept the argument that he's not fast enough or dynamic enough or defensively reliable enough to play in the NHL. But dismissing him because of this vague "he doesn't fit in Torts new tougher to play against system" is silly, imho.
Agreed. He doesn't strike me as an NHL player because, frankly, he's not that good.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
D713B

Quote:
But dismissing him because of this vague "he doesn't fit in Torts new tougher to play against system" is silly, imho.
Frankly I didn't feel like writing an essay on why PA, a career AHL'er, will probably not make the NHL roster especially under Torts. And yes I believe saying PA wouldn't be "tough" to play against at the NHL level is enough if anyone has done anything aside from look at his stats at the AHL level. Also I mentioned his defensive shortcomings more than once. I'm not sure why you picked my post to single out, especially thinking that anyone would describe PA as a finesse player. That would most likely come from someone solely checking his stature and statistics.

Last edited by D713B: 07-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
squishy

Quote:
Frankly I didn't feel like writing an essay on why PA, a career AHL'er, will probably not make the NHL roster especially under Torts. And yes I believe saying PA wouldn't be "tough" to play against at the NHL level is enough if anyone has done anything aside from look at his stats at the AHL level. Also I mentioned his defensive shortcomings more than once. I'm not sure why you picked my post to single out, especially thinking that anyone would describe PA as a finesse player. That would most likely come from someone solely checking his stature and statistics.
The whole "we have to be tougher to play against" cliche bugs me to begin with (because it's a cliche, not because I don't think we need to be tougher to play against) and when I saw your dismissal of Parenteau based upon it, I responded. It wasn't meant to be personal, so please don't take it as some sort of attack or like I'm singling you out personally. I didn't agree with what I read, so I replied, that's all.