HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SHOULD the rangers sign zherdev??

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

vCash: 500
SHOULD the rangers sign zherdev??

Do you guys think it is worth it to sign zherdev?
Everyone complains about how lazy he is, but he led the team in points last season. He has a lot of potential, and maybe Torts will wake him up and push him harder. If he can stop taking that 10 mph shot from the blueline and start getting closer to the net I think he can be a 30-35 goal scorer

Discuss whether the rangers should sign him...=O
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
NYR Viper

No. I like him, but for that he wants and considering his attitude I would pass and give that money to someone else. However, they better get value back for him through a trade ASAP.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
NYR2007

instead of the title saying "should the rangers sign zherdev" it should say "How Could the rangers afford Zherdev "

We can't afford him, but i would want him instead of Kotalik... even if it is 750k more

Old
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
coolbean04

It's not as easy as that.

1. How much will he get?
2. What value can we get if we traded him?

If we can get something really valuable for him, I rather trade him. For some reason, I think Sather can pull off a nice trade involving Zherdev.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Well what teams are even interested in zherdev
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
D713B

We'll have to see what the arbiter awards him first. Until then the jury is out. However if he fits into our cap situation I see no reason not to bring him back. We would have a very competitive team with him in our group of forwards.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Yes. He's a valuable player. At the very least, he's a second liner, maybe a first liner. Either sign him to play or to trade, but either way, you don't dump a 24 year old top-6 winger.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
He was our best offensive player while playing mediocre compared to his potential. We had a terrible offensive coach and then a headcase. We overpay guys like Roszival, Redden, Drury, and now KOTALIK and we bank on an injury prone Gaborik to be the core of our offense. I would not get rid of Zherdev. I don't care if he refuses to skate on the ice he is our next best offensive player by far behind Gabo.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
He was our best offensive player while playing mediocre compared to his potential. We had a terrible offensive coach and then a headcase. We overpay guys like Roszival, Redden, Drury, and now KOTALIK and we bank on an injury prone Gaborik to be the core of our offense. I would not get rid of Zherdev. I don't care if he refuses to skate on the ice he is our next best offensive player by far behind Gabo.
I agree he is a top 6 offensive player but I don't think he's our 2nd best offensive player. I belive top 4-6 but no our 2nd
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
pld459666

I'd like to re-sign him.

If we can fit him, to me it's a no-brainer.

He has talent and playing opposite Gaborik could be a deadly combination offensively. Defensively as well, but that's why we have defenceman and centers.

Having a line that can be dangerous each and every game is something we haven't had since Straka-Nylander-Jagr and we remember the havoc they caused for opposing teams.

But, if we can trade him and one of our surplus of defensive prospects (McDonagh) for a legit play making center then I am all for that.

While I like the McDonagh kid, I do not for one second believe he was traded for to keep but rather use to acquire Heatley and when that went south Gabby was plan B. I still feel that if we can get the center this team so desperately needs, McD is a goner

Old
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
FOXHOUND*

This couldnt have been discussed further in the other Zherdev thread we already have?

NO they should not sign him unless it's a sign and trade.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Yes, absolutely. Trade him, if nothing else. Letting him walk would be a colossal waste. Poor asset management to the extreme...

Old
07-20-2009, 08:39 PM
eco's bones

My cutoff for Zherdev to keep him would be $3.5--not a cent more. That's been complicated by the Kotalik signing. Keeping Zherdev at even $3.5 now means moving a substanital contract (for instance Kotalik after we've just signed him (?), Rozsival--not Dubinsky, not Callahan)--and keeping him at the $3.5 depends now on who would get moved and for what. I think he's playing somewhere else whether we move him or walk away from his contract.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Celestial Black

Should have signed him and not Kotalik.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
HockeyBurd*

He's a 20 goal, 60 point player. Of course you sign him. There's no question about that. The only question is whether you keep him or trade him. Their cap situation suggests they would have to trade him or make another considerable move.

It would be very surprising to see him still on the team with them constantly talking about a #1 center, PP QB, more moves etc.

Whatever the talk about him not having trade value is bogus. As long as his award isn't over 4 million, he has trade value. He's a 24 year old second line 20-25 goal, 55-60 point player regularly at minimum with talent and (perceived) upside. Personally I think he has hit his ceiling. But there's always that next GM who sees all the potential.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Please use one of the many other Zherdev threads.