HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What has Sather's worst move been so far?

View Poll Results: What has Sather's worst move been so far?
Signing Kotalik for three years/$3 mil per 57 22.35%
Signing Gaborik for five years/$7.5 mil per 18 7.06%
Letting Orr go and signing Brashear for $1.4 mil 67 26.27%
Not re-signing Betts (presumably) 16 6.27%
Not re-signing Sjostrom 2 0.78%
Not re-signing Mara 9 3.53%
Trading Gomez--I'll miss that goofball! 3 1.18%
Trading Korpikoski for Lisin 7 2.75%
Signing Tyler Arnason 22 8.63%
Not offering Zherdev more than $3.25 mil 13 5.10%
Paying Callahan $2.3 mil 1 0.39%
Not locking Higgins up for longer 11 4.31%
Sather has done no wrong. 25 9.80%
Other 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2009, 12:33 AM
deke and score

vCash: 500
What has Sather's worst move been so far?

The offseason isn't quite over yet, but what do you think has been the worst move up until this point?

deke and score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Tyler Arnason. Not much has been wrong.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:53 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I would have preferred he locked Higgins up for a couple more years, but overall a strong offseason imo.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Ola

Since getting Avery from LA I have a hard time comming up with a move that Slats have made that have not proven to be awful the last couple of years...

...so I wanna wait untill passing a judgement on these moves. Odds are that they are all equally bad.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sathers had a great summer so far....now to fleece some other team for their 1st line center

07-20-2009, 01:14 AM
17futurecap

Wish he would have locked up Higgins for a little longer, but Sather has done a great job. It just seems that Higgins will have a much better year this year under Torts playing in front of his family as well as hopefully being injury free. He already seems like a guy we will all like because of his hard play, and hopefully becomes a Garden favorite.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Voted for trading Korpi away. And I only slightly dislike the move, which is a testament to a very strong off-season thus far.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Kotalik, by far.

Not 100% pleased with the Higgins signing and Callahan deal, but in the context of what they would want/agent would want, it's hard to really be upset about it.

Holding out on deciding about Zherdev until I see what happens. If they let him walk and get nothing, by far the worst thing that happened this offseason.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:24 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Easily the signing of Kotalik. Really wasn't necessary, I don't think he helps the PP as much as some ppl think, and even strength this guy's an average 3rd liner.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:14 AM
darko

Kotalik deal for me. 3 mill isn't too bad but 3 years makes it a horrible deal. I get a feeling that our 3rd ine may look something like Kotalik-AA-Lisin. Geting Kotalik may mean Grachev doesnt make the team...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:10 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Tyler Arnason. Not much has been wrong.
Whats wrong about an AHL signing?

Agree though not much has been wrong. Very good offseason for Slats so far.

The not giving Higgins a longer contract makes no sense, how do we know Sather didnt want to? Maybe Higgins would only except a one year deal? Maybe thats how Sather got him for so cheap?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Chimp

It's hard to tell, but the Gaborik signing is a huge gamble. Either it's a brilliant move, or it's a terrible move. I'm in favour of taking the chance, because we don't have many options with our pathetic offense, but it can be five years of facepalming while Gaborik is paid $7.5m to eat popcorn in the stands.

As for the options, I think solely signing Brashear was the worst move. It was correct to let Orr walk, but not to fill that spot up with garbage. The days of the enforcers are over.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Ace2008

letting sjostrom walk for nothing for sure...basically wasting the 6th overall pick in the 2004 draft that landed alvares montoya for nothing

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 06:06 AM
beastly115

How about we see how the whole Kotalik/Zherdev situation plays out first? Everyone hates the Kotalik signing now but if Zherdev gets awarded too much and/if we can't afford him, we'll be glad we got him.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 06:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

3 years is not a long contract. Sather gets in trouble with the 6 and 7 year deals. Gomez,Redden and Kasparaitis. The Nylander signing was a short term deal.3 years which became 2 years after the lockout took away a season. Both sides declined their options. Greg de Vries was a 4 year deal and Sather moved him after barely 1 season.Aaron Ward-2 years. Matt Cullen-4 years. Even Rozsival's 4 year deal is structured in way to move him after the 2nd season. Giving career borderline NHLers such as Patrick Rissmiller and Aaron Voros three year contracts was stupid. Kotalik is a NHL player.

Chris Higgins had a brutal season. What is he going negotiate off of? Lets see how he performs in front of his friends and family before giving him a long term deal. Some guys have a tough time playing so close to home.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Blueblood 2

His worst moves haven't taken place yet. Even thinking about Jovocop or that $8million Dallas Star makes me shiver. If they were free agents it would be questionable but giving up assets? Please Glen, go fishing now.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I went with Kotalik, though it's not a terrible deal. It's also the only move so far that I really question.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I had to go with Sather has done no wrong. I was extremely critical of him last season when our offensive problems were as clear as day back in July/August/September of 2008, but this offseason has been a success.

The only thing that you can maybe question is the Kotalik, but with Nik "The NHL is just a job" Zherdev seemingly on his way out, I dont think you're going to get much better for 3 million per season, and the 3 years always him to play with Drury until his contract expires. Cant kill that signing.

Overall, good job Glen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Kotalik. I still don't understand it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:42 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Arnason. Waste of roster space.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The writing has been on the wall in regards to Zherdev for some time now.

I think it makes perfect sense to scoop up a 20 goal scorer that has a history of playing well with Drury when its becoming more and more clear that Zherdev wont be in a Ranger uniform next season.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Arnason. Waste of roster space.
Arnason will be in the AHL, or perhaps a healthy scratch most nights with the big club. Depth move.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Couldn't care less that Orr is gone, but not a Brashear fan at any price. A 2 year, $2.8M contract officially boggled my mind. Literally flushing much needed cap space down the toilet IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Couldn't care less that Orr is gone, but not a Brashear fan at any price. A 2 year, $2.8M contract officially boggled my mind. Literally flushing much needed cap space down the toilet IMO.
Agree with this, but after letting it simmer for a couple of weeks, I can't really fuss too much about the extra $400K per year he cost us. I'm one of the guys who thinks that the enforcer is pretty much on the way out, so I would've preffered giving this spot to a guy like Byers or Dupont (or someone similar on the open market), but if you think you need a goon, at least this deal is better than Orr's and Brashear can play (a little) better than Orr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I went with Kotalik, though it's not a terrible deal. It's also the only move so far that I really question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Here's where my vote went. And I agree with nyr2k2 and RB that the contract itself isn't really terrible - 3 years at $3MM per year is pretty much the going rate for a 30 year old consistent 20 goal scorer who is also one of the top 3 performers in the history of the shootout. What's bad about it are the ramifications it has on the rest of the roster.

1) If you don't sign Kotalik you can take Zherdev's contract, win or lose the arbitration case. And I'm sorry, but Zherdev at $4MM or even $4.5MM (for one year, don't forget) is still way better than Kotalik at $3MM.

2) I realize that Kotalik might have come off the market if we hadn't signed him when we did (although then again, maybe he wouldn't have - there are still a couple of name brand wingers out there), but by signing him before dealing with the Zherdev situation, it appears that Slats has severely hamstrung himself when it comes to at least getting something of value for Nik.

3) If we were looking at $5.5MM-$7MM in cap space (depending on what happens with Dubi and which players fill out the last two spots on the D) instead of the $2.5MM-$4MM we currently have, you'd have a lot more room to go after other top line players with teams like Boston and Ottawa that are cap strapped.

4) I just don't think the team is all that well constructed with Kotalik. We're now way deep on guys who naturally slot as 2nd or 3rd line RW and way thin on guys who play LW. And we have no one who naturally slots in at 1st line LW.

Hey, the summer is not over and if Slats somehow gets a couple of decent prospects or picks in return for Zherdev and if Kotalik and/or Lisin fills the void on the top line LW (or if Slats acquires another top line LW), then all is forgiven. But right now, the Kotalik move is really standing out to me as the one major goof in an otherwise excellent offseason.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
mullichicken25

i'm gonig to wait until "Losing Zherdev and getting nothing in return" is on there....

if that happens i'll be livid..otherwise it seems to have been a solid offseason

I do hate the brashear signing though....

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote