HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What has Sather's worst move been so far?

View Poll Results: What has Sather's worst move been so far?
Signing Kotalik for three years/$3 mil per 57 22.35%
Signing Gaborik for five years/$7.5 mil per 18 7.06%
Letting Orr go and signing Brashear for $1.4 mil 67 26.27%
Not re-signing Betts (presumably) 16 6.27%
Not re-signing Sjostrom 2 0.78%
Not re-signing Mara 9 3.53%
Trading Gomez--I'll miss that goofball! 3 1.18%
Trading Korpikoski for Lisin 7 2.75%
Signing Tyler Arnason 22 8.63%
Not offering Zherdev more than $3.25 mil 13 5.10%
Paying Callahan $2.3 mil 1 0.39%
Not locking Higgins up for longer 11 4.31%
Sather has done no wrong. 25 9.80%
Other 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The writing has been on the wall in regards to Zherdev for some time now.

I think it makes perfect sense to scoop up a 20 goal scorer that has a history of playing well with Drury when its becoming more and more clear that Zherdev wont be in a Ranger uniform next season.
I just don't see Kotalik as a suitable alternative to Zherdev, no matter how enigmatic the kid is.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agree with this, but after letting it simmer for a couple of weeks, I can't really fuss too much about the extra $400K per year he cost us.
I'm actually the opposite. I'm less concerned about the player now than I am about the money, or at least I will be when that extra half-Mil comes back to haunt the team.

You've got to assume that someone, maybe Burke, was bidding against Sather for his services. We could argue all day about whether or not he's a guy you overpay for, but I wouldn't.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
HAPPY HOUR

No secret that Orr was one of my favorite players and I despise Huggy Bear with a passion but.... I do believe that Brashear is better on the forecheck, and I do believe he brings one thing that I like to see occasionaly with tough guys. That one thing is the ability to initiate confrontation as opposed to what seems like Orrs comfort zone of retaliating when a teamate is wronged. I"d like to see the Rangers get in the face of other teams early in the game a get the juices going, the crowd going, and let the other team know that they are in for a tough ,nasty game..

All in all the I believe Glenn has had a great summer. I've watched a lot of Kotalik over the last few years and I think you will be pleasently suprised at just how good this guy is... Consistency is an issue yes, but this guy has nice skills inside the blueline and on penalty shots he is lights out..!

OT: The Redden signing still burns my ass though...

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 07-20-2009 at 11:03 AM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I just don't see Kotalik as a suitable alternative to Zherdev, no matter how enigmatic the kid is.
I understand that from a production standpoint, but these things happen. Zherdev will give you 55-60 points, but hes also a flake that treats the NHL as "just a job," and it often shows.

Im certainly not expecting Kotalik to be a replacement to Zherdev, but if he can give you 20 goals, 20-25 assists and be automatic in the shootout, for about a million dollars less than Zherdev, I dont think thats a terrible alternative at all.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Celestial Black

1. Kotalik
2. Arnason
3. Brash
4. Possibly not signing Z.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
HoosierDaddy

Signing Kotalik to the CAP space formerly assigned to Z, and not dealing with Z before backing himself into a corner go hand-in-hand. You sign Z you don't need Kotalik. I think the difference in the award to Z will be around $400k-$500k, the extra amount going to Huggy Bear. All these signing together constitute a circle jerk. Also don't like that Dubi's contract hasn't been resolved. Liked the Gabby signing, even if risky.

I just know someone will say that Kotalik was signed with Naslunds CAP hit, but to me it's all the same pot.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I understand that from a production standpoint, but these things happen. Zherdev will give you 55-60 points, but hes also a flake that treats the NHL as "just a job," and it often shows.

Im certainly not expecting Kotalik to be a replacement to Zherdev, but if he can give you 20 goals, 20-25 assists and be automatic in the shootout, for about a million dollars less than Zherdev, I dont think thats a terrible alternative at all.
Kotalik doesn't bring anything more than Zherdev does. Both are good in the shootout and both are prone to taking too many nights off. Kotalik isn't exactly Mr. Consistency or Dr. Determination.

You certainly will save ~$1M this year, but you're now stuck with $3M on the books next year, and the year after that. Not something you'd have to deal with when talking about Zherdev.

Old
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Kotalik doesn't bring anything more than Zherdev does. Both are good in the shootout and both are prone to taking too many nights off. Kotalik isn't exactly Mr. Consistency or Dr. Determination.

You certainly will save ~$1M this year, but you're now stuck with $3M on the books next year, and the year after that. Not something you'd have to deal with when talking about Zherdev.
The Rangers brass seemingly has a problem with Zherdev that goes beyond his inconsistent production. I think his recent "the NHL is just a job" quote gives you a ton of insight into the type of person he is. I see a lot of comments about how Sather should've dealt with the Z situation before handing Kotalik 3-9. In reality, I think the Zherdev situation was settled months ago, and he was never going to be wearing a Rangers jersey in 2009-2010.

With that said, I think you have to seperate the Kotalik and Zherdev situations. Im not too crazy about the 3 years, but I would have been much more upset if Zherdev left and Sather did nothing at all.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:30 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
As for the options, I think solely signing Brashear was the worst move. It was correct to let Orr walk, but not to fill that spot up with garbage. The days of the enforcers are over.
THIS.

I'm not going to dump on the Kotalik deal till I see what he brings. Lots of people dumped on Rucinsky when we got him, but I thought he played well for us.

I know what Brashear brings and it ain't worth what he's being paid.

I

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
The Rangers brass seemingly has a problem with Zherdev that goes beyond his inconsistent production. I think his recent "the NHL is just a job" quote gives you a ton of insight into the type of person he is. I see a lot of comments about how Sather should've dealt with the Z situation before handing Kotalik 3-9. In reality, I think the Zherdev situation was settled months ago, and he was never going to be wearing a Rangers jersey in 2009-2010.

With that said, I think you have to seperate the Kotalik and Zherdev situations. Im not too crazy about the 3 years, but I would have been much more upset if Zherdev left and Sather did nothing at all.
I'm by no means Zherdev's biggest fan, I supported bringing him back if we couldn't find a suitable upgrade to replace him. Perhaps Kotalik is Naslund's replacement and Gaborik is a replacement for Zherdev. It all depends on how you look at it.

I just dislike the way the team is assembled and disassembled each year. It seems this year's team is more of a hodgepodge than in years past and I'm not sure I see it working.

Old
07-20-2009, 11:55 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

I didn't know Kotalik is more similar to Zherdev than the opposite. If both players lack determination, aren't consistant, and take many a night off, then i certainly change my vote.

Even if there is no one else out there, Sather should have known that Tortorella is not going to play guys like this. Worst thing that happens is we lose Tyutin. Because we still have 3 important RFA's to sign. One this year, and two defensmen next year. And even if the Kotalik signing has no effect on taking care of Dubinsky, Girardi and Staal, the extra cap space may of come in handy down the road.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
satrabyk

I dont mind any of the signings this offseason, however letting guys like Antro, Betts, Sjo and Orr go, i dont think was smartest things, however only time will tell what the outcomes will be.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Theon
Fear the Beard

I didn't mind Slats letting Orr go but I still hate the Brashear signing. Since that is not an option, I choose the Korpedo trade. He got signed for what 700K? Instead we got another Zherdev.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:29 PM
chosen

Picking a worst move by Sather is akin to picking the worst seats to have on a crashing airplane.

His worst move for the franchise was signing here.

His second worst, and most telling as to what an idiot he is, was signing Trottier as a coach and citing as a reason that Trottier doesn't know how to use a computer.

For this particular off-season, it will end up being signing Gaborik long term.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Gaborik, Kotalik, and Brashear - anyone who complains about these signings absolutely has a right to question them. But to me, its just more spoiled NY sports fans. There was/is a need for these players, our GM went out and got them.

I hate Sather, but to say these were his worst moves is a bit overkill. The way I see it, a lot of fans still haven't gotten over past Sather moves, and I'm not excluding myself from that.

Ever forward.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
why does everyone look at Kotalik as Zherdev's replacement

was the PP crap last year?.........yep, so this guy helps

Drury has not been great as a Ranger. Oh yea Kotalik is his former winger

its a good move bringing him in for the overall TEAM

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:02 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
3 years is not a long contract. Sather gets in trouble with the 6 and 7 year deals.
The problem I have with Kotalik getting 3 years is that we will need that money next year. The only contracts coming off the books next year are Higgins, Staal and Girardi. Maybe we trade Girardi next year and bring up a kid, but do we let Higgins walk?

I would have rather given Kotalik 4 mil for 1 year, then use that 4 mil next year to re-sign Staal and Girardi.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
why does everyone look at Kotalik as Zherdev's replacement

was the PP crap last year?.........yep, so this guy helps

Drury has not been great as a Ranger. Oh yea Kotalik is his former winger

its a good move bringing him in for the overall TEAM
Because the signing of Kotalik meant we no longer have enough money to sign Zherdev. Zherdev will most likely be traded.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
NYRSchrute217

Would've liked to re-sign Mara.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because the signing of Kotalik meant we no longer have enough money to sign Zherdev. Zherdev will most likely be traded.
Not positive, but maybe they think the signing will also help out Drury because they played together in Buffalo. And they'll be leaving the Rangers together as well. I presume.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Gaborik, Kotalik, and Brashear - anyone who complains about these signings absolutely has a right to question them. But to me, its just more spoiled NY sports fans. There was/is a need for these players, our GM went out and got them.

I hate Sather, but to say these were his worst moves is a bit overkill. The way I see it, a lot of fans still haven't gotten over past Sather moves, and I'm not excluding myself from that.

Ever forward.
Let's revist this when Gaborik goess down for his yearly injury or set of injuries.

Hey, maybe he won't get hurt but even if he doesn't he has never shown himself to be anything more than an 80 point player, certainly nothing to sneeze at, but he has never come close to how good he can look over a short timeframe.

I would never invest major bucks, longterm, on a player who can't stay on the ice. I hope I'm wrong and that Sather and the Rangers get unbelievably lucky.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I went with the Orr option because it made the least sense. Why let Orr walk to replace him with Brashear at a higher amount?

I would have preferred to see Higgins signed for longer though Higgins may not have wanted that. Kotalik seems to be in preparation to losing Zherdev. Gaborik is too much comparing with everyone else who signed this year, though it now gives the Rangers an elite talent. For the low amounts that Sjo and Mara signed, it seems silly to not keep them, though I understand the desire to change the personnel. It's too soon to tell on Lisin for Korpeedo.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Let's revist this when Gaborik goess down for his yearly injury or set of injuries.

Hey, maybe he won't get hurt but even if he doesn't he has never shown himself to be anything more than an 80 point player, certainly nothing to sneeze at, but he has never come close to how good he can look over a short timeframe.

I would never invest major bucks, longterm, on a player who can't stay on the ice. I hope I'm wrong and that Sather and the Rangers get unbelievably lucky.
That's fair, but he did pay for the Wild his entire career. He also never played with anyone nearly as skilled as him, so you can say he earned every one of those points. If he can put up 80 points on this team I would be thrilled. The injury thing is troublesome though, because if he gets injured for any extended amount of time we're as good as screwed. Gomez wasn't the greatest player in the world, but he was extremely durable. As was Jagr

I don't think Sather has done anything that screams stupid yet, although obviously the Kotalik signing does raise a lot of questions.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I would ♥ the 2 Niks back.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Surprising that the Arnason signing has engendered so much dislike. He's a guy that we'll need in Hartford with Anisimov likely playing with the big club, and you could do a whole helluva lot worse as an extra skater.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote