HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What has Sather's worst move been so far?

View Poll Results: What has Sather's worst move been so far?
Signing Kotalik for three years/$3 mil per 57 22.35%
Signing Gaborik for five years/$7.5 mil per 18 7.06%
Letting Orr go and signing Brashear for $1.4 mil 67 26.27%
Not re-signing Betts (presumably) 16 6.27%
Not re-signing Sjostrom 2 0.78%
Not re-signing Mara 9 3.53%
Trading Gomez--I'll miss that goofball! 3 1.18%
Trading Korpikoski for Lisin 7 2.75%
Signing Tyler Arnason 22 8.63%
Not offering Zherdev more than $3.25 mil 13 5.10%
Paying Callahan $2.3 mil 1 0.39%
Not locking Higgins up for longer 11 4.31%
Sather has done no wrong. 25 9.80%
Other 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Hollweg isn't in any way comparable to Brashear in terms of role. Orr is similar to Brashear.
I really don't think so. It sounds like Tortorella has designs on giving Brashear more ice time and putting him more critical situations than Orr could have ever imagined. If he wanted a puglist, nothing more, he would have just kept the one he had IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I really don't think so. It sounds like Tortorella has designs on giving Brashear more ice time and putting him more critical situations than Orr could have ever imagined. If he wanted a puglist, nothing more, he would have just kept the one he had IMO.
I think you're imagining things here. Take a look at Torts' track record with his 4th line.

Even so, it doesnt hurt to have a goon that is a better fighter and has better skating ability.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you're imagining things here. Take a look at Torts' track record with his 4th line.
Go back and read his quotes on the signing.

Old
07-21-2009, 02:49 PM
94now

I voted "done no wrong" because "Not accepting arbitration award for Zherdev" is not there.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Go back and read his quotes on the signing.
I did, can be good on the forecheck...hockey sense...same old sugarcoating that comes along with any signing whether is be a 4th line goon or a star. I just think you're seriously overestimating what Brashear's intended role will be.

Old
07-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I voted "done no wrong" because "Not accepting arbitration award for Zherdev" is not there.
Thats kind of difficult being the arbitration hearings dont start until July 31st for Zherdev.

Old
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I can't believe people are still so up in arms about Brashear over Orr. It's an upgrade, AND we're not stuck with a goon to a long term contract. 4 years, guaranteed 4 million dollar contract? You guys need to learn to think like a GM every once in awhile, Brashear's costing you 2.8 million over 2 years and then he's gone. It's idiotic IMO to lock up a 4th line goon to more than 2 years, especially in the post lockout NHL.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
RangerFan10

Kotalik is still by far the worst move. He might help the PP but at the end of the day he'll only have about 20 goals. At 3 million per for 3 years, why not just bring back Antropov for the extra mil per and extra year, he'd be just as helpful to the PP in a different way.

Old
07-21-2009, 05:35 PM
RangerFan10

Not resigning Mara at the money he got for 1 more year is a close second.

Old
07-21-2009, 05:46 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Kotalik is still by far the worst move. He might help the PP but at the end of the day he'll only have about 20 goals. At 3 million per for 3 years, why not just bring back Antropov for the extra mil per and extra year, he'd be just as helpful to the PP in a different way.
"Only 20 goals" would have been good for sixth on the team last year...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:48 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
"Only 20 goals" would have been good for sixth on the team last year...
and that warrants overpaying for another marginal goalscorer...how?

Old
07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
chosen

Gaborik will easily end up the worst signing of all. I realize that a month in, when he is in the scoring leaders, there will be a lot of crowing but when he goes down, that crowing will turn to moaning about this extraordinarily stupid contract.

Imagine him in street clothes and then imagine the money drain and who is left on that 1st line.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Gaborik will easily end up the worst signing of all. I realize that a month in, when he is in the scoring leaders, there will be a lot of crowing but when he goes down, that crowing will turn to moaning about this extraordinarily stupid contract.

Imagine him in street clothes and then imagine the money drain and who is left on that 1st line.
You sound like you're almost hoping for him to go down, so you can say "I told you so."

Thats pathetic.

Old
07-22-2009, 12:28 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

This presupposes that you have a better player you wanted to devote that cap space to. Also, if he goes down with a serious injury, you can put him on LTIR and replace him one or more players with salaries equal to his.

I'm not saying the signing is without risk, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Furthermore, it's a risk worth taking, especially in light of Nash's re-signing and Kovy's rumored negotiations in Atl.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 11:26 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
I'll go the other way and predict that right after he wins his first fight on Garden ice he will have legions of fans, just like every other of his type to ever wear the jersey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
And he will become a legend on the board after he sticks up for someone getting cheapshotted.

He will be liked just as much as Orr was by the end of the season.
These are correct answers. He's one of the best fighters in the NHL, and after he beats the hell out of a few players on the ice, the very same people on this forum that are outraged by this signing and the $$$$ will be "ZOMG, he rulzzz!!!!" etc.... Book it.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 05:43 AM
darrenturcotte#8

The thought of Brashear in a Rangers jersey nauseates me to no end...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 05:58 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

My favorite are the 23 people who voted "Sather has done no wrong."

Okay then.

Your rivals over on our board have perhaps the best GM in any major sport, and I doubt you'd find 23 people to vote "Lou has done no wrong".

But knock yourselves out with that.

Myself, I voted the Korpikoski trade. I think Lisin is a floater and not a Torts guy. And you will hate him. But what do I know, I root for the other team.

Slats overpaid through the nose for Gabby, which is crazy for someone so brittle. But the risk/reward on that seems worth it, especially after dumping El Trador -- who I also knew you guys would hate.

Can't wait until September 16th and we can finally see some of these folks head to head over on our pond.

Best of luck.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 06:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
My favorite are the 23 people who voted "Sather has done no wrong."

Okay then.

Your rivals over on our board have perhaps the best GM in any major sport, and I doubt you'd find 23 people to vote "Lou has done no wrong".

But knock yourselves out with that.

Myself, I voted the Korpikoski trade. I think Lisin is a floater and not a Torts guy. And you will hate him. But what do I know, I root for the other team.

Slats overpaid through the nose for Gabby, which is crazy for someone so brittle. But the risk/reward on that seems worth it, especially after dumping El Trador -- who I also knew you guys would hate.

Can't wait until September 16th and we can finally see some of these folks head to head over on our pond.

Best of luck.
You guys would have more than 23 vote Lou has done no wrong. I am sure if you even have 23 people on that board

You can make the claim that Lauri wasn't a Torts guy. The Rangers aren't going to move a player who fits into what Tortorella wants to do. How do you think Brashear became a Ranger? John wanted him.

Gaborik played 77 games in 07-08.

To each his own.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 06:31 AM
chosen

Quote:
You sound like you're almost hoping for him to go down, so you can say "I told you so."

Thats pathetic.
Pathetic is building a team longterm around someone who always goes down with injuries. The definition of insanity is to expect different results from the same set of circumnstances.

I've already stated a few times in threads here that I hope the idiot Sather gets lucky here but the smart money says Gaborik goes down.

Really pathetic is to keep trusting a GM who couldn't have done a worse job if he had been sent here to sabotage the franchise.

Old
07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Cermi

I'm happy that we finally have a real threat - Gaborik. He is absolute beast (when healthy). He scored 13 goals last season in just 17 games (Duby scored 13 goals over the whole season) a 10 of them in the last 10 games. He'd have more points than Drury or Gomez even if he played only a half of the season...and for the same money.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:57 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Pathetic is building a team longterm around someone who always goes down with injuries. The definition of insanity is to expect different results from the same set of circumnstances.

I've already stated a few times in threads here that I hope the idiot Sather gets lucky here but the smart money says Gaborik goes down.

Really pathetic is to keep trusting a GM who couldn't have done a worse job if he had been sent here to sabotage the franchise.
You're right...i fotgot about all those seasons he spent playing in new york after a long period of rest after what has been regarded as a highly successful surgery

and to the second point...you are also right...making the playoffs every year since the lockout is damn near sabatoge

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I just think you're seriously overestimating what Brashear's intended role will be.
I'm willing to concede that and praying you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's idiotic IMO to lock up a 4th line goon to more than 2 years, especially in the post lockout NHL.
It's a lot of money for a goon no matter how you look at it. A 2 year deal for a player over 35 should be a deal breaker for anyone.

Old
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
You're right...i fotgot about all those seasons he spent playing in new york after a long period of rest after what has been regarded as a highly successful surgery
So. is it the climate in Minnesota that caused those nasty injuries? He must have suffered all of those injuries on home ice. I hadn't heard that before.

You mean he didn't rest after every one of his other injuries? Who knew? This changes everything. He rested! If only the training staff in Minnesota could have figured this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
and to the second point...you are also right...making the playoffs every year since the lockout is damn near sabatoge
You conveniently left out a bunch of seasons of not making the playoffs. I suppose that doesn't count because Sather was merely preparing to lead the team and he needed 7 years to get warmed up.

If you think Sather's reign here has been one of any success at all, you and I certainly have a very different view of what constitutes a good job by a GM. If you think Sather has done a creditable job then you deserve to keep having him.

Most of us have already figured out that he has been a first class idiot. Have you ever heard of a GM hiring a coach because he couldn't use a computer. That's what the genius Glen did.

Maybe, as so many are hoping, the Rangers are about to take off in the right direction. That would be great but spending your hugest chunk of salary on Gaborik, Redden, Drury and Gomez has been a disaster of epic proportions, to date, even if you can't see that.

It's possible that Gaborik will remain healthy for the length of his contract and that would be awesome because of potential positive impact and because he is fun to watch, a rarity here in Rangerland. But the topic of this thread asked what has Sather done wrong in the off-season. I say it is the signing of Gaborik. You disagree. That's all there is to it.

Old
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
firewagonHOCKEY

Letting go of Nylander, Jagr, Prucha, the Ville Nieminen trade ect.

I liked that 2005 lineup. But it seemes like he never built on it.

firewagonHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
These are correct answers. He's one of the best fighters in the NHL, and after he beats the hell out of a few players on the ice, the very same people on this forum that are outraged by this signing and the $$$$ will be "ZOMG, he rulzzz!!!!" etc.... Book it.
I don't post much, but I read the boards everyday. I will also agree with BG, Flyline, and chosen. Anyone who thinks they will still not like Brashear after any incident happens and drops the hammer are lying to themselves.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote