HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nigel Dawes-2 years/$1.7 million

Old
07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Cactus Jack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I'd be happy with 15 goals and good 2 way play. Good signing.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Dawes also averages 2.39 minutes a game on the PK whereas Korpikoski averages 0.48 minutes. how on earth is Korpikoski more of an NHL player?
There is no way this is accurate. I cannot remember Dawes being on the PK for more than 2 seconds combined while playing for Renney.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Areid1990

If we can get 10 - 15 goals out of him this will be a perfect signing!

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Really?

Korpikoski - age 23

AHL - 168 games - 91 points
NHL - 68 games - 14 points

Dawes - age 24

AHL - 162 games - 161 points
NHL - 143 games - 52 points

Dawes also averages 2.39 minutes a game on the PK whereas Korpikoski averages 0.48 minutes. how on earth is Korpikoski more of an NHL player?
There is no way in hell Dawes averaged 2.39 minutes a game on the PK. He's not even good defensively. You've made some mistake, there, I'm sure of it.

Also, I know Dawes has very nice AHL numbers. He'll probably continue to have very nice AHL numbers for the next ten years. That's my point.

EDIT: Just want to add that even if Korpikoski never picks up the offense, he's still Freddy Sjostrom. Dawes can either score enough points to keep a full-time, NHL, top-six spot, or he's a career AHL All-Star. If you want to argue about Korpikoski versus Lisin, that's fine. People can do that all day. Korpikoski versus Dawes, though, isn't much of an argument.

Last edited by rt: 07-20-2009 at 03:43 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
There is no way this is accurate. I cannot remember Dawes being on the PK for more than 2 seconds combined while playing for Renney.
I just looked it up. It was 2:39...TOTAL. 0:02 per game. Honest mistake, but also kind of funny.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:10 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Like the signing. Good cheap option for the 2nd/3rd line who can provide atleast 10 goals.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I just looked it up. It was 2:39...TOTAL. 0:02 per game. Honest mistake, but also kind of funny.
Your right, I got it from another board and was stupid enough to post it.

Fact remains, Dawes has shown more to be an NHL'er than Korpikoski thus far...we'll have to see.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Your right, I got it from another board and was stupid enough to post it.

Fact remains, Dawes has shown more to be an NHL'er than Korpikoski thus far...we'll have to see.
No, that is FAR from a fact. That's something you've concluded by looking at points and games played statistics, which is never a good idea. Dawes has one dimmension, and that dimmension isn't good enough. Korpikoski, even if he remains a one-dimmensional player, is good enough in that dimmension to remain an NHLer. If there were thirty two NHL teams, there is no question that Nigel Dawes coud have decent shot at being a full-time NHLer. The talent just isn't that dilluted, however. My guess for Dawes is that he's a very, very good AHLer that never really makes it as an NHL regular. My guess for Korpikoski is that he never becomes more than a third or fourth liner in the NHL, but he's solid enough in the role to eek out a fairly long NHL career.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Like the signing. Good cheap option for the 2nd/3rd line who can provide atleast 10 goals.
He should definitely be good for around ten or maybe even fifteen goals, and probably at least the same number of assists. You don't want him on a checking line, though. Calgary's top six features enough talented players, though, that they can probably afford to have Dawes in there, for the time being. Phoenix can't afford that luxury because we won't be getting enough points from the other players to make up for it.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

it's fine & dandy for Coyote fans & Flames fans to argue over the worth of Dawes & Korpikoski....but it's really quite fruitless since most Coyote fans, including myself, have rarely seen Korpedo play, and they only saw Dawes in 15 games or so as a Coyote on a team playing for nothing other than respect (although if you compare his play to that of Prucha, Upshall, & Lombardi...Dawes looked quite useless). And most Flames fans have seen neither of them play for any extended amount of time.

I'm most interested in Ranger fans analysis of Korpedo & Dawes. Also, I noticed Korpedo played in all 7 Ranger playoff games....I'm guessing Dawes probably wouldn't have played in all 7 games...(then again maybe Korpedo played because Dawes & Prucha had been traded?)but I'll leave that speculation up to the Ranger fans.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ good point.

EDIT: and you may find this interesting... http://hfboards.com/poll.php?do=show...s&pollid=40824

Last edited by rt: 07-20-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old
07-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Codes

Whatever floats your boat.

I'm happy to have Dawes on the team. Got him for nothing, and signed him cheap. Depth is good. I like depth.

Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Hemi-Cuda

vCash: 50
Sutter hit a home run last year with Bourque and Glencross, now he's up to the plate again with Sjostrom and Dawes. i just like that he's taking chances (albeit low risk chances) on younger guys now instead of over the hill vets

i expect to see Dawes get some top 6 time to see what he can do with the likes of Iginla, Jokinen, and Langkow. if he clicks then this deal will be an absolute theft

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Sutter hit a home run last year with Bourque and Glencross, now he's up to the plate again with Sjostrom and Dawes. i just like that he's taking chances (albeit low risk chances) on younger guys now instead of over the hill vets

i expect to see Dawes get some top 6 time to see what he can do with the likes of Iginla, Jokinen, and Langkow. if he clicks then this deal will be an absolute theft
Can't be theft if something is willingly given away.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Emptyvoid

If Calgary can get Dawes to do that multiple times during the season, you guys will absolutely fall in love with Dawes!

Good luck to you Dawes, loved it when you were in NY!

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:12 PM
redbranch

I liked Dawes ok during his time on the Rangers, but that Pronger clip always cracks me up. It was a good hustle by Dawes, but it certainly didn't hurt that he had a good head of steam and pronger had none. Callahan's pressure on the puck really threw the Ducks off during that play.

Calgary got him without giving up anything, and didn't pay a lot to sign him. Hopefully good for them, good for Dawes. If not, it's not going to hurt Calgary much, so why not take a flier on the guy?

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:57 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
I liked Dawes ok during his time on the Rangers, but that Pronger clip always cracks me up. It was a good hustle by Dawes, but it certainly didn't hurt that he had a good head of steam and pronger had none. Callahan's pressure on the puck really threw the Ducks off during that play.

Calgary got him without giving up anything, and didn't pay a lot to sign him. Hopefully good for them, good for Dawes. If not, it's not going to hurt Calgary much, so why not take a flier on the guy?
Only got to see Dawes a few times down the stretch after coming to the Coyotes and have to say the kid works hard every shift. He just seems overmatched in most situations playing against top-six forwards.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Snowshoe

I think Phoenix is in a tough spot, because even though they don't "need" him, this has a chance to look bad for them. If he manages to stick in the top 6 with Langkow, Iginla and Jokinen, he's almost guaranteed to put up ~40 pts. But there's no way he's doing that with Phoenix. What's weird is that he probably has a better chance to crack the top 6 in Calgary than he does in Phoenix.

Anywho, I feel for the Coyotes fans - your roster is like the Flames' was in the late 90's (except with a lot more talent). Not bad enough to really suck, but not good enough to make the playoffs.

Snowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
dawes is either going to score some points or be totally invisible. i really hated seeing dawes get traded because hes young and i felt had some upside. i think hes got the talent to score 20 goals and maybe 60 points once he gets a few years into the league. problem is those times where hes invisible he doesnt do anything else to really help the team. hes got good hands and is a nice passer as well. hes not a strong skater who creates chances with his speed.

korpikoski has only been in the league one year so its hard to really guage what kind of nhl skills he has. he is known to be a good 2 way player.

dawes vs prucha, dawes is the more skilled guy but pruchas hustle may keep him in the nhl on a 3 line. he doesnt really do anything well except drive to the net. his shot is garbage and his one timing skills are next to non existant. im in the minority because i never really thought much of him as a player even during his 30 goal rookie campaign. half of his scoring came from banging in rebounds on a top rated pp with nylander and jagr working their magic.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Whats the lineup like now flames fan? Do you see him on the top line? 2nd? 3rd?

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Whats the lineup like now flames fan? Do you see him on the top line? 2nd? 3rd?
Too hard to say. He should get some top 6 time. It's pretty much a given that Bourque will get top 6 time... and whoever is hot between Boyd, Dawes and Glencross will probably get the remainder of the icetime.

I think there's commitment on the Flames end to give Boyd a chance to really step up... but if Dawes produces he'll get a chance for sure.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote