Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Cuma???

Old
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Bruin72

vCash: 500
Tyler Cuma???

Is Cuma NHL ready and what are his strengths/weaknesses/projections??

Bruin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:30 PM
BigT2002

One thing our team needs to do is let these players develop for more than a year or so. Right now, I would say he still needs to work on a few things before he can make a permanent spot on the roster. I haven't seen the kid play, but from what I read he's still maturing.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
TeamSeals

Cuma is going to be very good one day and honestly he could be ready this year for the NHL but I think it would be best if he went back to juniors and dominated which he didn't get a chance to do last year because of his knee injury. His strengths are his skating, his vision, his hands and his aggressive play (at least he was aggressive at the prospect camp). He isn't small but he could stand to add some more muscle and get stronger. Also just getting more experience. He reminds me of a better version of Nick Schultz.

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:47 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
For those of us who get the NHL Network we should be able to watch him play in the Prospect Tournament this September. He looked pretty impressive last year as an 18year-old and I'll bet he look even better this year.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 08:19 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals View Post
He reminds me of a better version of Nick Schultz.
correct. He almost plays like Johnsson to me, moving the puck out of trouble, but he plays with more sandpaper.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
ttam103

Give him another season, unless hes that much better than your other dmen

He only played 22 games last season and could use another season to play max minutes.

ttam103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:10 PM
PizzaPizza12

going to watch him play in about 30 minutes. he was named camptain of the 67s and should sprout offensively this year.

PizzaPizza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Jbcraig1883

Please drop in and let us know how he is progressing!!

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Yes, Tyler Cuma is back playing with the 67's.

Where are all the WIld fans?

You have one of my all time favourite former Sens playing
for your team now and I thought I might keep up with
how Martin Havlat was doing here, but there don't seem to be
many fans around or GDT's for the pre season anyway.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

I saw Cuma play last night. Wasn't his best game.

He did not look good tonight. It takes nothing away from the level of prospect he is, because I've seen him at his best. But he's definitely not 100% comfortable and confident yet since returning to the ice from that injury. He had a lot of trouble with the puck tonight, just couldn't create plays or handle passes. Whether it was bad ice, or nerves, he was fumbling it all over the place. Defensively, he was pretty solid, however he seemed too intent in trying to take the body and as such was putting himself out of position. The couple of nice plays he did make defensively, were as a result of a poor decision making, and he had to come back hard into the zone to erase the scoring chance. In those instances, he showed how dynamite a defender he can be, where he used his strong closing speed to come back and push his man off the puck. He's nearly impossible to get around when he's on his game. He's going to take time before he's back to playing the way 67's fans are used to, but when he does, the defense should be fine.

Brock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Jbcraig1883

Thanks much for the info, Brock. Feel free to keep us updated as often as you want!

Old
09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Wildlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Yes, Tyler Cuma is back playing with the 67's.

Where are all the WIld fans?

You have one of my all time favourite former Sens playing
for your team now and I thought I might keep up with
how Martin Havlat was doing here, but there don't seem to be
many fans around or GDT's for the pre season anyway.
Lots of Wild fans are on the Wild message boards on their website. I'm not sure how popular the other boards for other teams are, but for the wild it seems to be that most fans are on there and not over here.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Thanks much for the info, Brock. Feel free to keep us updated as often as you want!
Yeah, no kidding. Brock, you're a welcome sight here anytime. One of the best scouts on these boards, for my money - and very good at communicating your opinions and observations. We all look forward to reading whatever you care to share as time and opportunity permits.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Yeah, no kidding. Brock, you're a welcome sight here anytime. One of the best scouts on these boards, for my money - and very good at communicating your opinions and observations. We all look forward to reading whatever you care to share as time and opportunity permits.
Even if it's not good news?

Saw Cuma again tonight against Oshawa.

He didn't have a good game again. Not sure what's going on there, it could be that he's just trying to do too much with the 67 blueline struggling. On the Tony DeHart powerplay goal he made a real boneheaded play, one that Don Cherry would have lambasted him over. With Petr Mrazek out of his crease to challenge the shooter and no Oshawa player screening him, he had a clear view of the puck to make the stop. However for some reason Cuma put out his stick to try and stop the puck and instead tipped it over Mrazek's shoulder to the top corner. If he lets that puck go, it's an easy save for Mrazek and an easy rebound to control. On the Jeff Hayes pass to Boone Jenner, he fell victim to Hayes puckhandling ability, failing to take the man and let the puck go between his legs to Jenner for the finish. Offensively, he seems to be forcing things too, trying to get his shot through and trying to make things happen when they aren't there. I think he's just pressing with the defense struggling. Hopefully he starts to put things together soon.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Jbcraig1883

Thanks again for the input. Hopefully he settles down and just plays his game. Sounds like being cut has got him trying to get two points every game.

Old
11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Kings man 4 life

Kings fan here. How bad was his knee injury?

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife View Post
Lots of Wild fans are on the Wild message boards on their website. I'm not sure how popular the other boards for other teams are, but for the wild it seems to be that most fans are on there and not over here.
Mainly b/c 3/4 of them on that board are huge homers who wouldn't last long on a NHL board without being called out.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Wildlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Mainly b/c 3/4 of them on that board are huge homers who wouldn't last long on a NHL board without being called out.
That very well could be. I've noticed a lot of our fans are blind to the truth sometimes.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Bumping this one with an update on him from the game tonight against Belleville.

First off, obviously the biggest news of the day is his omission from the Canadian WJC tryout camp (TSN has an excellent piece on Cuma's disappoint here). To his credit, and he admits this himself in the TSN article, I think he's been playing a lot better hockey the past month or so (obviously correlated with Ottawa's improvements in recent weeks). Defensively, he was a stud tonight. Nobody from Belleville was able to get past him tonight, and playing on the big ice, that speaks volumes to his skating ability and mobility. He took the body hard too, really rubbing out a Belleville player along the boards (I can't remember who exactly)...although he took a boarding penalty on the play. Nice to see him playing inspired physical defensive hockey though. On the downside...I think he's still struggling with his confidence offensively and with the puck. Looks hesitant to rush the puck up ice and when the puck hits his stick, he's quick to dish it off. Evidence of this was his near costly delay of game penalty in the third period that allowed Kyle DeCoste to tie the game at 3. Before his injury, Cuma was a very capable puck rushing defenseman and a guy who showed flashes of being a very capable two way defenseman. Since, his offensive production has really slipped and I think it's directly related to confidence and timing. I do think it's only a matter of time before he gets it back though. Once he becomes comfortable again defensively and things start becoming a little more automatic, I'm sure we'll see his passes become more crisp. And I'm sure we'll see him take more chances on the rush.

Also, I suppose I should also tell you how Bjorn Krupp played.

Not a good night for Bjorn Krupp. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen him have a good one. Bulls fans, help me out here? He does have good ones right? I will come out and say that Krupp has potential as a stay at home defenseman. He handles forwards on the rush quite well and is hard to get around. He made a very nice defensive play on Cody Lindsay as he tried to get by him and take the puck to the net. Krupp knocked the puck away with his stick first and then knocked Lindsay to the ice shortly after. It's his play with the puck that's just atrocious. He's a complete liability on the ice with the puck on his stick. Two turnovers led to Ottawa goals tonight. And not just that, I'm not sure he hit a single Belleville forward with a crisp pass up ice. The first turnover was on a brutal clearing attempt in the second period. It was knocked down by an Ottawa forward, only to be stolen back again by Kyle DeCoste, only to have him give it away to Joe Carnevale for the goal. But the original turnover that led to the goal was Krupp's. The game winning goal was worse. Krupp tried to carry the puck out from behind his net, lost control, panicked and fired a weak clear off the boards that was intercepted by Thomas Nesbitt, who then fed Nigro who then fed Lindsay to the back of the net. I don't want to sound harsh, but professional hockey players would eat Krupp alive on the forecheck. He makes Wade Belak look like Sidney Crosby. But there is hope, his defensive awareness and ability is solid, he just needs to drastically improve his play with the puck.

Old
12-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I've seen very little of him but I will share my impressions on what I have seen. He has wheels, his skating is NHL level now. He moves the puck well on breakouts. He doesn't have great puck skills in the offensive zone though, needs to gain confidence and understanding there. His overall positioning on defense was pretty average though I have not seen him at all this year. His lack of an invite to the WJC suggests to me he's struggling because he is a high enough profile guy that if he were playing well he'd definitely be there.

My (un)informed opinion, he's this year and one more development year--hopefully in the AHL--away from being ready for 82 games of NHL action. I would say that last season his physique and hockey sense were not NHL level, needs to keep getting stronger and will need baby steps towards adjusting to the speed of the big leagues.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Jbcraig1883

Thanks for the update!

I can't watch him but it appeared his play was getting better, judging purely on stats, which can obviously be misleading.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
wings5

Tyler added as an injury replacement for the Team Canada WJC camp today.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=302209

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Also, I suppose I should also tell you how Bjorn Krupp played.

Not a good night for Bjorn Krupp. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen him have a good one. Bulls fans, help me out here? He does have good ones right? I will come out and say that Krupp has potential as a stay at home defenseman. He handles forwards on the rush quite well and is hard to get around. He made a very nice defensive play on Cody Lindsay as he tried to get by him and take the puck to the net. Krupp knocked the puck away with his stick first and then knocked Lindsay to the ice shortly after. It's his play with the puck that's just atrocious. He's a complete liability on the ice with the puck on his stick. Two turnovers led to Ottawa goals tonight. And not just that, I'm not sure he hit a single Belleville forward with a crisp pass up ice. The first turnover was on a brutal clearing attempt in the second period. It was knocked down by an Ottawa forward, only to be stolen back again by Kyle DeCoste, only to have him give it away to Joe Carnevale for the goal. But the original turnover that led to the goal was Krupp's. The game winning goal was worse. Krupp tried to carry the puck out from behind his net, lost control, panicked and fired a weak clear off the boards that was intercepted by Thomas Nesbitt, who then fed Nigro who then fed Lindsay to the back of the net. I don't want to sound harsh, but professional hockey players would eat Krupp alive on the forecheck. He makes Wade Belak look like Sidney Crosby. But there is hope, his defensive awareness and ability is solid, he just needs to drastically improve his play with the puck.
Ya, I've been told Krupp is RAW, and that there may be something there, but he needs to be coached up big time.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
ttam103

this is not the greatest year for Cuma. I am unsure what to think about him inside the locker room - theres rumblings for why hes only captain at home and not all the time. I dont know if that contract he signed has gotten to his head.

Otherwise hes still the best defencemen on the team by far. Still a good skater and can carry the puck and pass it pretty well. I agree that he needs another year to probably add some more muscle to play at the NHL level. He didnt deserve to make Team Canada based on his play this season and it wasnt a big surprise that he didnt make the final cut.

Give him another year or two and he'll come in as a solid dman with offensive upside.

ttam103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Sabre4

bjorn krupp

I coached house hockey in atlanta and watched this kid start to play hockey in the fall of 2002. Started playing learn to skate and house hockey at peewee minor.
5!!! years later he was selected to play in the US ntdp program. (we're all hockeynuts down there and follow the kids from the south, it's easy - there are so few that do anything) I lost track of him when the family moved away and now I found out through this forum that he's signed an nhl contract... I see no problem with the learning curve of this kid, and - it seems the minnesota scouts thought the same thing. time will tell if he's got the stuff, but I'd venture a guess that if he keeps progressing through the ranks like he's done so far - he'll do ok...

Sabre4 is offline   Reply With Quote