HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers need a No.1 Playmaking Center. Start spitting out names!

Old
07-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Emptyvoid

vCash: 500
We won't be able to fit a true "#1 center" under our cap, so our best bet for short term and long term would be to see either Brandon Dubinsky or Artem Ansimov center Gabby. If either works, it'll do wonders for their development as centers in the NHL.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Ok, now I know I won't take seriously your criticism of the guy since you hatred of him blinds you from a good critical appreciation (or dislike) of his play...

Just like I wouldn't suggest you to base your appreciation of Higgins on the critics of a certain well known poster on the habs board because she can't stomach him...
I think his big negative is that he doesn't have any hockey sense. Ask any Ranger/Devil fan. It also doesn't help that his feet are too fast for his head. If Gomez had a good level of hockey sense or a little above average he'd be a 90 point player. He is just so frustrating to watch.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
from a purely lineup point of view, yeah Gomez would be better over Drury. For other reasons, maybe not. Gomez's contract is longer and worse, and while I'm not sure I believe it, he was at least implicated in leading the team to basically give up on Renney.

Given the choice...I don't know, the fact that Drury's contract is up sooner is a big plus. And seeing Gomez struggle to play well for long with most wingers was tough. And again, yes, he had a fair amount of talented wingers to play with and never really settled in with them. I'm not sure he even ends up centering Gaborik if he was still here. I'd like to think so, but like I said, two years of him bouncing around the lineup while being paired with skilled wingers doesn't instill a lot of hope in me that it would magically work out.

I don't think the fact that Gomez is fast and Gaborik is fast really amounts to anything...Gomez mainly uses his speed to lug the puck entirely by himself, and it's hard even for fast skaters to work with that sometimes because he tends to take the puck from so deep in the zone while everyone is already up in the neutral zone, they have to wait for him so by the time he's skating into the offensive zone, his wingers are just barely getting going and he doesn't have time to make a play
Drury hasn't really worked well with anyone either. I agree, Drury overall is better and I would have preferred him over Gomez.

I believe Gomez and Drury got a chance to play with Jagr each, but neither could click with him.

There's Zherdev, but other than that.. what other skilled wingers did he play with ? If he even played with him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:50 PM
CanadianDevil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Great value? Are you serious?

Put your Jersey love aside like many other competent posters here are capable of when discussing the value of their rivals chips.

-Lundqvist. Almost as valuable as an Ovechkin, or Crosby. wont be moved
-Marc Staal. wont be able to land a center for Gabby
-Marian Gaborik. wont be moved
-Dan Girardi wont be able to land a center for Gabby
-Brandon Dubinsky wont be able to land a center for Gabby
-Ryan Callahan wont be able to land a center for Gabby
-Chris Higgins wont be able to land a center for Gabby
-Michael Rozsival wont be able to land a center for Gabby

Prospects?

-Evgeni Grachev only part of a package would he get a center
-Artem Anisimov only part of a package would he get a center
-Ryan McDonaugh only part of a package would he get a center
-Bobby Sanguinetti only part of a package would he get a center
-Michael Del Zotto only part of a package would he get a center

Rangers have PLENTY of valuable assets if they wanted to gamble away some of them. Do you homework before throwing around dumb statements that ultimately prove you don't know squat about your rivals depth.
Kind sir my point wasnt that the Rangers dont have depth. its that they dont have the assests to bring in a good center for Gaborik.

CanadianDevil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Way to go to generalize a fan base... I'm a hab supporter and I still hate that trade... how do you explain that me and a **** load of other fans still think it was a dumb trade?
In all fairness, he basically summarized our views on him when he was on broadway, and it was pretty consistent.

I don't think it was a bad or good trade for either side. Both teams addressed a need (habs: center depth, rangers: cap space), and created another (habs: possible albatross contract, rangers: need a #1 center). Higgins will be ok, McDonough (or however you spell it) wont be a factor for years. So they're not really in the discussion to me.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
That's fine...but if you asked this very question to Rangers fans. If they were being truthfully honest, i'm sure the result would be pretty close and I even suspect in Gomez' favour. But there's not use of asking that now as Drury is a Ranger and Gomez is a Hab
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=647617

we did a poll on the Rangers board about this and it wasn't close. The vast majority opted to keep Drury, almost 70 percent (92-42). Moreover, the jubilation we saw after the trade (even before the Gabby signing) shows how NYR fans felt about Gomez, who was a disappointment.

Dont get me wrong, I liked the guy, and I felt that he offered more than Drury, who was equally (if not more) inconsistent this season, because of his age and offensive ability, which is what the Rangers needed.

But Gomez won't cure cancer in Montreal. You might get the numbers but you won't like the overall body of work.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianDevil*

oh i edited next to each players names too demonstrate my point i forgot to bold.

sure u could get a Center for Gabby packing but then u give away depth which you guys finally are developing.

CanadianDevil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
We won't be able to fit a true "#1 center" under our cap, so our best bet for short term and long term would be to see either Brandon Dubinsky or Artem Ansimov center Gabby. If either works, it'll do wonders for their development as centers in the NHL.
Yeah. Look what Jagr did for Dubi

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Drury hasn't really worked well with anyone either. I agree, Drury overall is better and I would have preferred him over Gomez.

I believe Gomez and Drury got a chance to play with Jagr each, but neither could click with him.

There's Zherdev, but other than that.. what other skilled wingers did he play with ? If he even played with him.
Drury had 18 points in 20 games playing with Dubinsky and Callahan. Gomez played with Naslund who despite being on the downside of his career was still very good. He played with Shanahan who was still a top 6 winger before last year, Martin Straka who had gotten 70+ points not too long ago and averaged over a PPG in the Czech league. He also played with Drury who is a constant 20 goal scorer. I do however think Cammalleri is the ideal winger fir Gomez.

Old
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Levitate

I think there's also pretty much the possibility that Gomez's struggles to click with wingers is really just Gomez being Gomez. Yeah if he did click with some skilled wingers, maybe he could put up 90 points! But maybe 70-80 is just the player that he is and part of that is his struggles with linemates.

I mean, his first year with the Rangers wasn't bad overall, given his career in general, even though it felt like he never had an exact line that worked great.

edit: at any rate, the thing is that the Rangers don't get Gaborik if they don't trade Gomez, and I'll take Gaborik over Gomez even if there isn't a legit number one center to center him right now.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Synergy27

Can someone answer what I consider to be the most fundamental question associated with this topic for me? Why, exactly, does Marion Gaborik need a top-flight playmaker? Has he had one before?

This guy is a special talent. He is not just a sniper/goal-scorer like the Glen Murrays of the world. He creates chances on his own. He makes the players around him better. Hell, if the Rangers landed a top-flight pivot, I play him on the 2nd line to maximize the return on guys like Higgins/Callahan/Kotalik who, unlike Gaborik, need some help out there.

Honestly, the Rangers have an abundance of good (not great) young assets, especially on the blueline. They need to trade some of them eventually because it is simply not a reality that they will all make the team together. But I really don't think an established #1 center should be the target for that trade. Trade youth for youth. Deal from your strengths to add potential impact players in areas where you are weak. Really, I'll be upset if Dubinsky isn't given the opportunity to flourish this year. He's ready to go.

Stand pat Slats. Save some cash and let your boys play. Please.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
I would venture to say that most teams that have an elite top-flight winger like Marian Gaborik also don't have an elite true #1 center.

When you have a cap, you either go elite in one or the other, or average in both, for the most part. The exception to this is when teams develop their own and the players have yet to reach UFA age.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
I think there's also pretty much the possibility that Gomez's struggles to click with wingers is really just Gomez being Gomez. Yeah if he did click with some skilled wingers, maybe he could put up 90 points! But maybe 70-80 is just the player that he is and part of that is his struggles with linemates.

I mean, his first year with the Rangers wasn't bad overall, given his career in general, even though it felt like he never had an exact line that worked great.

edit: at any rate, the thing is that the Rangers don't get Gaborik if they don't trade Gomez, and I'll take Gaborik over Gomez even if there isn't a legit number one center to center him right now.
Gomez spent the equivalent of over 5 hours on the power play and had 3 goals.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=647617

we did a poll on the Rangers board about this and it wasn't close. The vast majority opted to keep Drury, almost 70 percent (92-42). Moreover, the jubilation we saw after the trade (even before the Gabby signing) shows how NYR fans felt about Gomez, who was a disappointment.

Dont get me wrong, I liked the guy, and I felt that he offered more than Drury, who was equally (if not more) inconsistent this season, because of his age and offensive ability, which is what the Rangers needed.

But Gomez won't cure cancer in Montreal. You might get the numbers but you won't like the overall body of work.
Asking a fanbase about an ex player the same day he was traded vs. a current player still on the team isn't the best way to evaluate it...but nevertheless, point taken

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Can someone answer what I consider to be the most fundamental question associated with this topic for me? Why, exactly, does Marion Gaborik need a top-flight playmaker? Has he had one before?
Does he have to have one? Probably not. Would he put up more points if he did? Probably so. That's why you want one.

Someone who could hold onto the puck and then get it to Gaborik when he gets open would be great. It's fine when guys can do it all themselves, but it's also harder on them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Asking a fanbase about an ex player the same day he was traded vs. a current player still on the team isn't the best way to evaluate it...but nevertheless, point taken
date: June 2nd 2009

Old
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
bmundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Nothing that intriguing on the market. So the answer is:

Brandon Dubinsky.

If Dubinsky can't cut it during the beginning of the season, you give Anisimov/Drury a chance to play with Gaborik. If Anisimov/Drury can't cut it, then you look elsewhere for a deadline acquisition (if the Rangers are competing) or go into next offseason with a center as your main target.
agree. thats what torts more or less said.

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 2
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Brian Boyle

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Drury had 18 points in 20 games playing with Dubinsky and Callahan. Gomez played with Naslund who despite being on the downside of his career was still very good. He played with Shanahan who was still a top 6 winger before last year, Martin Straka who had gotten 70+ points not too long ago and averaged over a PPG in the Czech league. He also played with Drury who is a constant 20 goal scorer. I do however think Cammalleri is the ideal winger fir Gomez.
I wouldn't count Naslund and Callahan. Naslund past, Callahan not there yet. Shanny did play well for the Rangers.

I thought the line that did so well for the rangers was Jagr, Straka and Nylander ?

It obviously doesn't justify his contract, but he'll also be reunited with Gionta. Cammalleri should be the other winger. Besides those two, there's still Andrei Kostitsyn as well. He's also a good fit for Gomez, as Andrei is a sniper (imo) great shot and can pick corners. Gomez is a playmaker, so he should fit wonderfully somewhere.

Shanny is a sniper, so should have done well with Gomez, or Drury. Straka is more of a playmaker, like Gomez so that could have caused some troubles on who was to shoot. Kind of like a problem Montréal faced so often in the previous years.

Then again, I'm basing this on what I've seen from Gomez when he played the habs and the odd other playoff game.

Gomez doesn't take interviews well and seems like a dick. Sometimes it looks like he's joking and the reporter knows and other times it just seems like he actually is a huge dick. Never understood that.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
scdn

Mats Sundin

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
The thread was started June 2nd.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

We don't need another center...just let Dubinsky and Anisimov develop. There's no point of having them if your not gonna let them play. And we can't afford to have any more expensive and useless signings (dredden, drury, blowmez)

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Does he have to have one? Probably not. Would he put up more points if he did? Probably so. That's why you want one.

Someone who could hold onto the puck and then get it to Gaborik when he gets open would be great. It's fine when guys can do it all themselves, but it's also harder on them.
I really don't think a puck-lugger will suit Gaborik at all. Sure, someone needs to get him the puck, but he's a breaker, not a cycler. Distribution to him is not going to be lateral, it's going to come from the back. I think the Rangers puck-moving blueline is going to suit him very well.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
Brandon Dubinsky
this... I think Dubinksy can break out similar to Mike Richards. I think they are very comparable in terms of play style.

Richards first 2 years in the league
2005-06 Philadelphia NHL 79 11 23 34 +6
2006-07 Philadelphia NHL 59 10 22 32 -12

Dubinksy first 2 years in the league
2007-08 NY Rangers NHL 82 14 26 40 +8
2008-09 NY Rangers NHL 82 13 28 41 -6

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post