HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prucha/Dawes; Would you want them back given their cap hit?

View Poll Results: Prucha/Dawes
I would want Prucha and Dawes in blue 3 2.36%
I would want Prucha back/Not Dawes 51 40.16%
I would want Dawes back/Not Pruuuuu 7 5.51%
I don't want either. 66 51.97%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

vCash: 500
I really don't understand the obsession that a portion of our fan base has with these two mediocre players.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
ecemleafs

no. we have a team of 3rd-4th liners. they were healthy scratches a lot of time because they arent physical or the best defensively and they dont contribute enough offensively to warrant a place on the top two lines. pruchas 30 goal season was an aberration and wont happen again unless he plays with an elite-elite superstar like he did with jagr.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
NO These guys stink. When will people finally realize that? NO TO BOTH
Pretty much. Both were too small and were invisible most nights.

Glad we got something for them when we could.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
I really don't understand the obsession that a portion of our fan base has with these two mediocre players.
We have/had the same problem with Ortmeyer

Everyone *****es about having too many 3rd and 4th line role players then when they're gone they want them back. It's not even like a Savard situation where we traded them and now they're all-stars. They still stink.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
This obsession with Prucha is just amazing. Considering the guy has hands of stone, could not finish to save his life and was the size of a dwarf the amount of Prucha-love that still exists around here is amazing. The guy tried really hard. So what? He had one good season where he was the product of a career year of one of the greatest NHL Hall of Fame players ever. The guy got traded and likely will not return. Get over it already.
Perhaps that's a testament to his hard work and genuine effort that people still dearly cared for him, as opposed to other players who may have produced more but did nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i'm probablly the only one who thinks this but I would love to have Prucha back to be in front of the net on the powerplay banging in all of Gabby and Kotaliks rebounds

in his 30 goal year, 16 of them were scored on the powerplay
I think you could easily replaced Gaborik for Jagr in making Prucha work again, he was sneaky getting into perfect position for scoring while Jagr mesmerized the opposition, Gaborik is capable of the same.

I know it's a moot point, but I don't get the haters, in the language of the reigning coach: he is what he is.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
We have/had the same problem with Ortmeyer

Everyone *****es about having too many 3rd and 4th line role players then when they're gone they want them back. It's not even like a Savard situation where we traded them and now they're all-stars. They still stink.
Comparing these two to hands of stone Ortmeyer is a bit of a serious underrating. I liked the guy, but I felt about the same I felt for Jason Ward when he left.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

With the players on the team now, there's no room for either.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Ovens

[QUOTE=Ranger35;20491615]Perhaps that's a testament to his hard work and genuine effort that people still dearly cared for him, as opposed to other players who may have produced more but did nothing.

Sort of ironic that in another thread Zherdev is getting ridiculed for his lack of caring and effort.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Sayba

I don't want either and would prefer to actually not even speak of these 2 again. That would be even better.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
allstarr425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
NO These guys stink. When will people finally realize that? NO TO BOTH
I wouldn't say that dawes is a total loss but prucha is... I guess I have to agree for the most part... I wouldn't want either but I think you are being a little harsh on dawes

allstarr425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
It is mind boggling truly. They just want their guy to do good so they can say look I told you so and when they don't do anything they just say well what can you expect at least he tried hard. Then these same people knock the players with actual talent.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:29 PM
chosen

I miss watching Prucha taking a hit and going flying. It was something you could count on almost every game.

He is too small, too weak, and not offensively gifted enough to make up for these glaring holes.

I still think Dawes has a shot because even though he is small he can play in traffic and keep going, at least far better than Prucha can.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Garfinkel1

[QUOTE=Ovens;20491797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
Perhaps that's a testament to his hard work and genuine effort that people still dearly cared for him, as opposed to other players who may have produced more but did nothing.

Sort of ironic that in another thread Zherdev is getting ridiculed for his lack of caring and effort.
Alright. So Zherdev's talent, skill, physical ability with Prucha's mind-set

I still think he would/will be an excellent 3rd liner. It's not like he is making 2mill a year. He is making barley anything for a good, hard working player who creates chances and has the potential to be a good 2nd liner. He performed well in Tort's system (Only 2 games... I know) and I think he would continue to flourish under it. I'm not saying he is the savior of the New York Rangers. He will not be a top line guy. He won't fix our powerplay. However, He would be a very effective 3rd line player who will play a few levels higher than his pay grade which like I said before is essential to the success of teams in the Cap era. He plays big. Works very hard and is an excellent for-checker. We can shuffle players around, move players to the 4th line or demote them. I don't think there is a better 3rd line player on this team (Maybe Avery if he goes to 3rd line).

He is 26 years old and 5 years of NHL experience. He has room to improve but he won't get that much better. However, He really doesn't need to get much better. If he could improve his shot he would be very successful.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

I want Prucha back. And Sjostrom. And Ortmeyer. And Hollw... just kidding...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Sayba

[QUOTE=Garfinkel1;20491948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post

Alright. So Zherdev's talent, skill, physical ability with Prucha's mind-set

I still think he would/will be an excellent 3rd liner. It's not like he is making 2mill a year. He is making barley anything for a good, hard working player who creates chances and has the potential to be a good 2nd liner. He performed well in Tort's system (Only 2 games... I know) and I think he would continue to flourish under it. I'm not saying he is the savior of the New York Rangers. He will not be a top line guy. He won't fix our powerplay. However, He would be a very effective 3rd line player who will play a few levels higher than his pay grade which like I said before is essential to the success of teams in the Cap era. He plays big. Works very hard and is an excellent for-checker. We can shuffle players around, move players to the 4th line or demote them. I don't think there is a better 3rd line player on this team (Maybe Avery if he goes to 3rd line).

He is 26 years old and 5 years of NHL experience. He has room to improve but he won't get that much better. However, He really doesn't need to get much better. If he could improve his shot he would be very successful.
Prucha is the antithesis of a 3rd line player. He has no strength, no size and the list goes on and on. If he had those attributes then yes his attitude would make him that player but he simply does not have the physical capability.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:52 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It's not even like a Savard situation where we traded them and now they're all-stars. They still stink.
I think it takes more than 20 games in their new situations for that judgment to be made.

Prucha had 10 points in 19 games in Phoenix after the trade. Over the course of a full season, that translates into 43 points, which is more than either Cally or Dubinsky had to their credit last season. All Star numbers? Hell no. But they also don't "stink".

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Kerri

"One of my favorite players is Petr Prucha and that's simply because of how hard he plays in all three zones. He blocks shots and hits guys bigger than him."

-Adam Graves. He's made reference to Prucha as his favorite Ranger several times.

And for those of you who don't get the Prucha love... I don't get what there is not to get. Prucha is a joy to watch, hockey-wise. He plays it right... sometimes it's not only about goals. I'd take a team of Prucha's, and maybe never win a game, over a team of Drury's and Redden's and Zherdev's and Gomez's. He anticipates the puck well, and puts great pressure in the offensive zone. He even PKs in Phoenix.

And believe it or not, but Marion Gaborik couldn't score from a pressbox, either. We'll see what this year brings for Prucha, when he gets actual ice time.

Dawes was terribly invisible, although had an offensive upside. Good luck to him in Calgary. But Prucha was the goal in that trade, and Don Maloney proved it when he wanted to give Dawes a two-way deal, and then eventually waived him.

And to add to what Squishy ^ said, Prucha got points in the mid-forties his first two seasons. (People always forget that Prucha did get 22 goals his second season -and 43 points- when he WASN'T on the PP unit with Jagr.) So, IMO, that's further evidence Prucha may be good for at least a 40 point season. Similar numbers to both Callahan and Dubinsky.

Kerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Celestial Black

No thanks to either.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri View Post
"One of my favorite players is Petr Prucha and that's simply because of how hard he plays in all three zones. He blocks shots and hits guys bigger than him."

-Adam Graves. He's made reference to Prucha as his favorite Ranger several times.

And for those of you who don't get the Prucha love... I don't get what there is not to get. Prucha is a joy to watch, hockey-wise. He plays it right... sometimes it's not only about goals. I'd take a team of Prucha's, and maybe never win a game, over a team of Drury's and Redden's and Zherdev's and Gomez's. He anticipates the puck well, and puts great pressure in the offensive zone. He even PKs in Phoenix.

And believe it or not, but Marion Gaborik couldn't score from a pressbox, either. We'll see what this year brings for Prucha, when he gets actual ice time.

Dawes was terribly invisible, although had an offensive upside. Good luck to him in Calgary. But Prucha was the goal in that trade, and Don Maloney proved it when he wanted to give Dawes a two-way deal, and then eventually waived him.

And to add to what Squishy ^ said, Prucha got points in the mid-forties his first two seasons. (People always forget that Prucha did get 22 goals his second season -and 43 points- when he WASN'T on the PP unit with Jagr.) So, IMO, that's further evidence Prucha may be good for at least a 40 point season. Similar numbers to both Callahan and Dubinsky.
In one sentence you tell us that it's not all about goals, and in another you compare Prucha to Dubinsky and Callahan in terms of points. See the problem here? Callahan and Dubinsky contribute far more than Prucha's mediocre offensive outputs.

Prucha is what he is: a mediocre offensive player. I love the guy, always have, but let's not make him out to be some sort of great loss. And let's not compare him to players that do a lot more than him. Petr Prucha is a dime-a-dozen type player.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I'd take a team of Prucha's, and maybe never win a game, over a team of Drury's and Redden's and Zherdev's and Gomez's.
Well, there's no point in arguing with you or those who feel the way that you do.

Personally, I don't watch hockey to witness examples of futile effort. I watch hockey because I root for my team - which means I want them to win. I also watch hockey because I love the beauty and power of the game - which means I want to watch skilled and/or punishing players executing plays successfully. A team full of Pruchas might try real hard, but frankly they wouldn't provide me with much I'd want to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Prucha - he gave it his all, and he had some success here. But ultimately he proved to be a mediocre player. In the right setting, with superior linemates, he might do OK again. But as nyr2k2 said, he's a dime-a-dozen player.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-20-2009 at 05:53 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I'd say yes to Prucha. Both probably needed a change of scenery as they got the shaft. I agree with the assessment that Dawes is an underrated playmaker. He has some good hands and is able to make some sweet passes. If he gets his chance under a coach who's familiar with him, he might make a few look pretty silly.

Pru would certainly fit our team. But there are just too many who forget how his ice-time dropped and how much Renney messed up. I see him getting back to what he was with the 'Yotes.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Well, there's no point in arguing with you or those who feel the way that you do.

Personally, I don't watch hockey to witness examples of futile effort. I watch hockey because I root for my team - which means I want them to win. I also watch hockey because I love the beauty and power of the game - which means I want to watch skilled and/or punishing players executing plays successfully.

A team full of Pruchas might try real hard, but frankly they wouldn't provide me with much I'd want to watch.
Prucha is the definition of futile effort, pefectly said. Nothing wrong with enjoying a player who plays hard but you have to know the difference between a guy who is good and plays hard and a guy who just plays hard.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Kerri

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In one sentence you tell us that it's not all about goals, and in another you compare Prucha to Dubinsky and Callahan in terms of points. See the problem here? Callahan and Dubinsky contribute far more than Prucha's mediocre offensive outputs.

Prucha is what he is: a mediocre offensive player. I love the guy, always have, but let's not make him out to be some sort of great loss. And let's not compare him to players that do a lot more than him. Petr Prucha is a dime-a-dozen type player.
For me, it's not all about goals. For others, it may be. It's the difference between why one person may love hockey, and why someone else may. For me, it's about how the game is played. And when the Rangers win, it makes it that much better.

To be more clear; I was trying to say that Prucha makes a difference on the ice whether he scores goals or not. That's what I see; you might see it differently, and that's fine. To those who only care about the scoresheet, I offered that Prucha has had similar offensive production in the past to Callahan and Dubinsky. And that I believe he can get back to 20 goal seasons this year in Phoenix. Either way, in my eyes, Prucha was a loss. Goals or not.

Because I think he does a lot more on the ice than you see. He wins every battle along the boards, despite his size. He is admittedly weak with the puck, but once he loses it, he pickpockets right back. I've seen him have great success with other aggressive forecheckers, like for those couple weeks he was being centered by Dubinsky. (But when he was placed with Drury, he just didn't work! Which is why I ranted and raved every time Renney unsuccessfully tried that combo.) He anticipates the puck well. He finds it, when allowed to stand in front of the net. I have no problem with him not having a spot on this roster. But I do have a problem with Aaron Voros being given chances on the PP when Prucha received none.

It doesn't mean the team can't go on without him. He's not Ovechkin, and I certainly didn't make that my case. I didn't even mean to suggest he is Callahan or Dubinsky. I simply stated that he is useful, if correctly utilized, and I for one missed his effort on the ice the entire season when he was a healthy scratch. I cannot understand the Rangers never giving him a proper shot this season.

Better than watching Zherdev and Gomez hang their head in shame as we bombed it in January. However, anything would be better than that.

Kerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 06:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
For me, it's not all about goals. For others, it may be. It's the difference between why one person may love hockey, and why someone else may. For me, it's about how the game is played. And when the Rangers win, it makes it that much better.

To be more clear; I was trying to say that Prucha makes a difference on the ice whether he scores goals or not. That's what I see; you might see it differently, and that's fine. To those who only care about the scoresheet, I offered that Prucha has had similar offensive production in the past to Callahan and Dubinsky. And that I believe he can get back to 20 goal seasons this year in Phoenix. Either way, in my eyes, Prucha was a loss. Goals or not.

Because I think he does a lot more on the ice than you see. He wins every battle along the boards, despite his size. He is admittedly weak with the puck, but once he loses it, he pickpockets right back. I've seen him have great success with other aggressive forecheckers, like for those couple weeks he was being centered by Dubinsky. (But when he was placed with Drury, he just didn't work! Which is why I ranted and raved every time Renney unsuccessfully tried that combo.) He anticipates the puck well. He finds it, when allowed to stand in front of the net. I have no problem with him not having a spot on this roster. But I do have a problem with Aaron Voros being given chances on the PP when Prucha received none.

It doesn't mean the team can't go on without him. He's not Ovechkin, and I certainly didn't make that my case. I didn't even mean to suggest he is Callahan or Dubinsky. I simply stated that he is useful, if correctly utilized, and I for one missed his effort on the ice the entire season when he was a healthy scratch. I cannot understand the Rangers never giving him a proper shot this season.

Better than watching Zherdev and Gomez hang their head in shame as we bombed it in January. However, anything would be better than that.
He rarely won pucks along the boards. That was part of the problem. He wasn't winning those battles and he wasn't big enough to play in the middle. As such he was an ineffective periphery player.

07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Loved Prucha's heart, might take him back over Kotalik at that price but it is what it is. Dawes is a marginal player, not interested at all.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote