HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovulchuk, not about the money, it's about competing

Old
07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
KingKopi

vCash: 500
Kovulchuk, not about the money, it's about competing

I can't post the rumor article because it's on espn.com rumor central, which i pay for to have access, but I'll sum it up for you guys.

There's a rumor article regarding the Kovulchuk negotiations. Talks between the Thrashers and Ilya Kovalchuk's agent are heating up, but it doesn't look like money's the problem to get an extension done.

Kovi has a year @ $7.5 million left on his contract, and is eligible for an $11.2million deal. But his biggest concern is that he wants to know if the Thrashers will be competitive if he signs a long-term contract, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Thrashers obviously want to and hope to ink Kovalchuk to a long-term deal, but some analysts are saying he'll opt to test the free agent market next season.

I hope the Kings make a nice push into the playoffs this year, and sign Kovulchuk to a long term contract, like the hawks did with hossa. Ilya's only 26 and would fit well with our youg core. not to mention him playing with Frolov and winning a championship at the 2009 worlds this year. Can you imagine a Kovi-Kopi line. Dreams can come true.

KingKopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

well I can tell you that if Kovy did be come a King, theres almost no way we can retain fro as well.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
well I can tell you that if Kovy did be come a King, theres almost no way we can retain fro as well.
i can tell you that i would quickly get over it.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:16 PM
KingKopi

yup that was a question i wanted to ask. if we can keep fro n kovi. dat would be a beautiful lineup. wow. guess you cant have your cake and eat it too, even though i never understood that saying. how can a person have there cake and not eat it?

KingKopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:16 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
i can tell you that i would quickly get over it.
This

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I am an ardent supporter of keeping Frolov... But if we were getting Kovalchuk I would pack his bags for him and drive him to the airport If we don't sign Frolov by the end of the season we should swap rights with Atlanta... Though, he will have his pick of any team out there; therefore, I highly doubt he will come to LA. It is possible given our upcoming situation, but he may just take a more immediate approach like Gaborik to New York and Hossa to Chicago... We were one of the teams who had exclusivity to Hossa and we didn't get much of a sniff I have a feeling the same thing will happen with Kovy.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I don't think you'll find many complaints. My only hope would be that Frolov gets to play for a good team (except Detroit, he'll score 40 goals there easy!)

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
SFKingshomer

DL won't pay 8+ for Kovalchuk.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Caseman

I doubt the Thrashers would allow Kovy to waltz to free agency without getting something for him. Even if they are foolish enough to stand pat and not cash in at the trade deadline, they will trade his negociation rights to the highest bidder, which may be costly when you got the Sather's of the world.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I think he would, he just won't give him 15+ years. I think the question of Dean going for Kovalchuk would be all about term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I doubt the Thrashers would allow Kovy to waltz to free agency without getting something for him. Even if they are foolish enough to stand pat and not cash in at the trade deadline, they will trade his negociation rights to the highest bidder, which may be costly when you got the Sather's of the world.
That is very true. Those rights will cost a very pretty penny in my opinion. About as high rights go... I bet some teams later in the draft order would consider that first expendable, prior to the trade deadline -- the sky is the limit.

Old
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
If Kovi is all about competing, you may not have to.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think he would, he just won't give him 15+ years. I think the question of Dean going for Kovalchuk would be all about term.

That is very true. Those rights will cost a very pretty penny in my opinion. About as high rights go... I bet some teams later in the draft order would consider that first expendable, prior to the trade deadline -- the sky is the limit.
The rights to Bouwmeester was only a pending UFA in Leopold and a 3rd. Don't think Kovalchuk will be much more than that. The market has been set and pending UFAs aren't going to get much in return with regards to negotiating rights.........

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The rights to Bouwmeester was only a pending UFA in Leopold and a 3rd. Don't think Kovalchuk will be much more than that. The market has been set and pending UFAs aren't going to get much in return with regards to negotiating rights.........
In my opinion, Kolvachuk is more valuable and precious than Bouwmeester. He is arguably the league's top sniper (1A or 1B with Ovechkin) and he's still young. Bouwmeester is an above average defender, but there are certainly other players of his calibre around the league. Kolvachuk is pure, sick offense, something amplified in this offensively-geared hockey since the lockout.

Old
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think he would, he just won't give him 15+ years.
One of the other 28 teams would... hence why you don't put all your eggs in the UFA basket. The UFA market for Kovalchuk will be a total crapshoot, and the most absurd offer will likely win out.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I doubt Kovy gets traded at all during the season. My guess is Atlanta will need to atleast look like they use every last day possible to get him under contract. If he walks, they can point to him leaving, even though they did EVERYTHING they could. If the trade him while games are still being played, the fans will flip and ownership will look like they gave up.

After the season, if Kovy is still not signed, I see more of a rights deal like Hossa where it is more hush hush and compensation only happens if he is signed, as opposed to an outright trade of rights like Bouwmeester.

One thing is for sure, with Nash signed, Kovy will be the main target of the media for the season. Should be fun to watch. Would looooove to have him, but if we don't, I just pray no one in our divisions gets him.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopi View Post
I can't post the rumor article because it's on espn.com rumor central, which i pay for to have access, but I'll sum it up for you guys.
Might just be me, but most of the ESPN insider teaser rumors are just links to local papers. Case in point, this was probably the source: http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...f_schultz_blog

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
One thing is for sure, with Nash signed, Kovy will be the main target of the media for the season. Should be fun to watch. Would looooove to have him, but if we don't, I just pray no one in our divisions gets him.
If he gets as far as free agency, I think the Kings are the only one in the Pacific with the financial flexibility (I doubt the Yotes will be in the bidding) to offer him the big contract he'll probably want.

Old
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Imagine if Ovechkin's rights were for trade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
One of the other 28 teams would... hence why you don't put all your eggs in the UFA basket. The UFA market for Kovalchuk will be a total crapshoot, and the most absurd offer will likely win out.

- T
Bingo.

Old
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Brodie562

looks like we're already setting ourselves up to bash Dean for Kovalchuk not wanting to play here!

deja freakin vu!!!

But we have Kopitar and Doughty why wouldn't he want to play here

haha

Brodie562 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
jimmy1100

Wait....If Ilya Kovalchuk isn't worhty of a 10+yr contract near max value, then who is?

This guys lowest goal total was 29 his rookie year. Second year? 38. That was the last time he's finished with less than 40.

What about durability? I don't know the circumstances, but he played 65 games his rookie year. Since then? 6 seasons, 12 games missed. I can settle with paying Kovy ridiculous money for 80 games each year.

Alex Frolov, I love you as a King, but only a fool would allow sentimentality to choose you over Ilya Kovalchuk.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM
IslesDude

A little ahead of yourselves boys. Still a long time till the deadline. Who knows.... The Thrashers might even compete for a playoff spot. You can tell that Ilya Kovalchuk is just looking for a reason to stay with Atlanta. I'd imagine that a playoff berth would be all the excuse he needs.

IslesDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
looks like we're already setting ourselves up to bash Dean for Kovalchuk not wanting to play here!

deja freakin vu!!!

But we have Kopitar and Doughty why wouldn't he want to play here

haha
It happens every year... first there was Chara and Elias. Then Gomez and Drury. Then Gaborik and Hossa. Next year is Kovalchuk and Luongo.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:56 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

What about trading Smyth to make room instead? In fact, if Kovalchuk shows enough interest and provides management with an agreement to sign long-term, a trade could be based around those two players.

To LA: Kovalchuk
To ATL: Smyth, Voinov and 2010 1st/2nd

That said, I still think Kovy resigns with Atlanta.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
That said, I still think Kovy resigns with Atlanta.
That's my guess as well. There's still a lot of loyalty in the NHL, particularly between players and the teams that drafted them. Rick Nash could have played anywhere he wanted, but he stuck with Columbus. I think Kovalchuk will stick with Atlanta as well.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:26 PM
123slam

First of all, I can't believe you pay for that espn crap. shame on you.

second of all, if we somehow land Kovalchuk, i'm going to need a change of boxers every few minutes.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote