HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shin Pad Recommendations?

Old
07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
hkyplayer03

vCash: 500
Shin Pad Recommendations?

My Bauer Velocity Shin pads have finally given in. Straps are broken and plastic cracked. Any recommendations for shin pads?

I don't mind spending under $200 cause I play at least 3 times a week. So far I've been eyeing the vapor xxxx or maybe rbk 9k. I keep hearing about rbk protective gear being so much better, is this true?

If you could spend around $200 on any shin pads what would you buy?

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Placebo Effect

As most will say, you should go to your LHS to see what fits you best and don't just go by what others say. Everything in hockey boils down to personal preference and what feels comfortably on you. What feels good on someone else most likely won't feel the same on you unless you're identical twins. $200 is a lot, I don't think any shin pads go that high. Bauer One95 on HockeyMonkey are $85 and the XXXX's are $90. Reebok 10k's are $110 while 9K's are $65. You may want to stick with Bauer since that's what you have been using. BTW I believe all the new Reebok gear have a new "fit" this year as well.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
With shins, you have a lot of different fits. What will fit you will depend on how thick your legs are and the type of fit you like. Your best bet is to find a shop with a bunch of different stuff and try them on.

RBK stuff is the most widely worn in the pros, yes, but the other stuff is quite good as well. Try it on, you want it to be comfortable. Also keep in mind that even low end shins today are pretty good and will be sufficient for most guys.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Hockeyfan68

Trust me when I say this ... bring your skates with you to the store so you can try on some shinpads to make sure they will work out with your equipment you already have. This way if you tuck in the skate tongue or have it hanging out you can make sure of the fit.

Nobody will think you the weirdo for doing that. It is a small thing not many people do and can save a lot of time with a return if they will even take them back because you sweat in them.

I do it with anything that has to fit with other stuff .... if I am buying shoulder pads for example I'll bring my elbow pads to make sure they fit together well enough.

I even bring my 2 piece composite in with me when buying a shaft to make sure the shaft is properly matched to the regular stick shaft length I use. That way if I have to cut some off i will see what the flex will be and other important info before buying the stuff.

Just a thought.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I am between 13" and 14" shins so I bought the 14" One90 shins as they run a little small. They are still a little big on my though, but better than most other shin pads in terms of fit. I like how they cradle the knee with the floating bit as I had a very close call with a knee injury going into the boards and like the protection.

That's a great idea to bring your skates in, and maybe even your pants. You want to make sure you have enough protection when standing that the pants cover the top half of your kneecap so there's no gap. Then make sure there's no interference between the shin pads and your skate tongue (depending on if you skate tongues in or out).

But most shin pads out there will do the job just fine, get something that fits, doesn't have to be the top of the line, I just got the One90's because they were out of the One70's, they're pretty similar.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I am between 13" and 14" shins so I bought the 14" One90 shins as they run a little small. They are still a little big on my though, but better than most other shin pads in terms of fit. I like how they cradle the knee with the floating bit as I had a very close call with a knee injury going into the boards and like the protection.

That's a great idea to bring your skates in, and maybe even your pants. You want to make sure you have enough protection when standing that the pants cover the top half of your kneecap so there's no gap. Then make sure there's no interference between the shin pads and your skate tongue (depending on if you skate tongues in or out).

But most shin pads out there will do the job just fine, get something that fits, doesn't have to be the top of the line, I just got the One90's because they were out of the One70's, they're pretty similar.
The One90s are good .... yep yep yep.

I bought some CCM vector ones after trying them on, I liked how they fit over my skate top and how my knee fit in the knee pocket.

Yeah I am going to be buying some pants soon and want some Tackla ones after reading some recommendation around here. I'll be bringing in my shinguards I wear when I buy the pants just to make sure though I doubt it would be a problem it could be. It may point me to a different model Tackla pant that has a longer thigh part or something.

I'm glad you found your shinpads that are the best for you.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I like the RBK 5K or 9K models, they're a bit bulkier but offer better protection at the back of the leg. The 5K and 9K are basically identical in design, difference being the 9K is built with higher end padding materials and costs twice as much.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Heat McManus

If it fits, I recommend the Nike Bauer LS Pro. Very roomy for a Bauer shin pad, tough, comfy, probably find it around $100

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
hkyplayer03

Ended up purchasing the one95 shin pads. The pocket for the knee fit me really well compared to the vapor xxxx shin pads. The reebok 9k's were ok, similar to the vapor xxxx shin pads. One95 shin pads have more of a tapered design.

And thanks to everyone who recommended bringing in skates when fitting. Definitely helped to distinguish if I was a 12 inch or a 13 inch in various shin pad styles.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote