HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Props to Bob Gainey

Old
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Props to Bob Gainey

I feel it is necessary to acknowledge the effort and success of Bob Gainey this off-season.

Regardless of how they pan out, he has been known for Conservative, passive, wait and see type of attitudes. But he must have realized that that attitude has burned him more then once and he had had enough.

He goes out to get the Highest Sought out Center on the Free Agent Market of this year (Mike Cammalleri)

Makes a deal for Gomez to lure Gionta, Cammy, Mara, Gill etc....

And He gets some Grit/Skill/Character by signing Moen. Not only that but at the Draft Himself and Trevor Timmins completely stockpiled Talent upfront. AND he signed 2 more Swedish potential wonders in the future (Johansson, and Engqvist)

I have to say, if I was blindfolded I definitely wouldn't think Gainey was behind all this.
Now when all is said and Done, Gainey's franchise is still buzzing with trade rumors! He isn't done by no means and he hasn't even held a press conference to say hes done.
Gainey is on a mission, to do what very few have accomplished. To Make this team a legit cup contender after 1 off-season. It depends alot on chemistry ofcourse and injuries. However this thread is to acknowledge Gainey's efforts, and determination. Regardless if his job hangs in the balance, he has changed his mentality and he just might be able to pull it off.

The rumors about a 4 way trade between Montreal-Chicago-San Jose- Ottawa have people sitting on the edge of their seats because as of recently we've become more aggressive in trades, and signings, which makes me believe we can actually pull off a blockbuster for once. This off-season has been by far the most exciting, and I can't wait for next season regardless if we have the roster we have now, or one with the likes of Marleau/Sharp in it. This team has definitely taken leaps forward, and I thank you Bob Gainey for getting your ass in gear and making **** happen.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
HOPE4HABS

props to you for a great post. optimistic, positive!

HOPE4HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I feel it is necessary to acknowledge the effort and success of Bob Gainey this off-season.

Regardless of how they pan out, he has been known for Conservative, passive, wait and see type of attitudes. But he must have realized that that attitude has burned him more then once and he had had enough.

He goes out to get the Highest Sought out Center on the Free Agent Market of this year (Mike Cammalleri)

And He gets some Grit/Skill/Character by signing Moen. Not only that but at the Draft Himself and Trevor Timmins completely stockpiled Talent upfront. AND he signed 2 more Swedish potential wonders in the future (Johansson, and Engqvist)

I have to say, if I was blindfolded I definitely wouldn't think Gainey was behind all this.
Now when all is said and Done, Gainey's franchise is still buzzing with trade rumors! He isn't done by no means and he hasn't even held a press conference to say hes done.
Gainey is on a mission, to do what very few have accomplished. To Make this team a legit cup contender after 1 off-season. It depends alot on chemistry ofcourse and injuries. However this thread is to acknowledge Gainey's efforts, and determination. Regardless if his job hangs in the balance, he has changed his mentality and he just might be able to pull it off.

The rumors about a 4 way trade between Montreal-Chicago-San Jose- Ottawa have people sitting on the edge of their seats because as of recently we've become more aggressive in trades, and signings, which makes me believe we can actually pull off a blockbuster for once. This off-season has been by far the most exciting, and I can't wait for next season regardless if we have the roster we have now, or one with the likes of Marleau/Sharp in it. This team has definitely taken leaps forward, and I thank you Bob Gainey for getting your ass in gear and making **** happen.
Cammalleri isn't a Center and he wasn't signed to be a Center.

Other than that, pretty good post.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Iwishihadacup

really awesome job, I have nothing negative to say about the offseason

Last edited by Iwishihadacup: 07-19-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Bacchus1

I'm excited too ...

Still a long way to the season, and even longer until the month of November when we should start to see the real character of the team.

Looking forward to doing work and listening to the Habs kick butt!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:44 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Cammalleri isn't a Center and he wasn't signed to be a Center.

Other than that, pretty good post.
Its debatable, but according to Bob McKenzie he is classified as a Center, but prefers the wing. He came here because he wanted to be centered by Gomez. So yes he was signed as a winger, but was one of the most talented centers in the UFA pool

Old
07-19-2009, 11:47 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Its debatable, but according to Bob McKenzie he is classified as a Center, but prefers the wing. He came here because he wanted to be centered by Gomez. So yes he was signed as a winger, but was one of the most talented centers in the UFA pool
He used to be a center. He's not a center anymore. He prefers the wing because his game is suited to playing wing.

Anyways, I find it funny how everyone is praising Bob just because they have itchy trigger fingers and love everything that is new and different. At the same time, these will be the same people criticizing Bob if his moves don't work out. Just a warning: a move is not necessarily a good move. On HF, it appears that people just want change because it entertains them. Be careful what you wish for.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:47 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

I think Bob Gainey, knowing in his bones what kind of team it takes to win Stanley Cups, had his eyes opened A LOT during his late season experience behind the bench. It's not for nothing that he hasn't resigned a single UFA yet, and made little effort to do so. He realized that we couldn't just upgrade one or two players, unlike his thought process last year at the same time.

Furthermore, he brought in the most experienced coach the team has had in 14 years.

So far, improvement certainly looks possible. We might need a couple more grit players, and then we have to see if Jacques Martin can get the team to gel within a month or two.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:48 AM
GoGionta

Send a message via AIM to GoGionta Send a message via MSN to GoGionta
Gill was a questionnable choice

GoGionta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:49 AM
evilstanley

yes i agree.

juicy gravy would be BG extending DrDrei for 6-8 years sometime this season...

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:51 AM
evilstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizz View Post
i GUARENTEE people will be appreciating Gill's contribution somewhere down the line. thats an absolute definite.

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:54 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Perhaps, but his presence didn't hinder Pittsburgh from making the last two Finals and winning one Cup.

It takes all kinds of player, and perhaps one very tall D-man willing to clear the net is a kind we need, despite his limited speed.

With Markov, Gorges, Bouillon, Schneider and Brisebois, we had too many similar-profile guys defending our own zone. Gill and Mara provide some variety.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I'm so tired of hearing this from posters who stopped watching the playoffs as soon as the Habs were eliminated. Gill just got a ring fitted and he led Penguins Dmen in +/- in the playoffs.

Old
07-19-2009, 11:56 AM
habs86

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
He used to be a center. He's not a center anymore. He prefers the wing because his game is suited to playing wing.

Anyways, I find it funny how everyone is praising Bob just because they have itchy trigger fingers and love everything that is new and different. At the same time, these will be the same people criticizing Bob if his moves don't work out. Just a warning: a move is not necessarily a good move. On HF, it appears that people just want change because it entertains them. Be careful what you wish for.
I applaude BG, the time has come and he made the moves, now I hope like many others that they are the correct moves.
I totaly understand your view and i agree with you also BECARFEULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, the grass is not always greener on the other side. now it is a waiting game to see if these players can gel and be a force in the best league in the world.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:

I'm praising his efforts, and what looks to be good moves. Nobody can say 100% for certain that his moves were 100% perfect and that they are guarantees. The only Guarantees that I've seen were Tavares, Hedman and Duchene at the draft. Those guys will be future super stars.

Gainey is getting praise from me for changes yes, but changes that in hind sight look like a step forward. yes it could blow up in our face, but no I won't bash him if it does. How the hell are we supposed to know if these signings were good/bad at facevalue? Sure Beauchemin or Seidenburg would have been better over Gill but Gill brings a ring, character, size, and simple puck clearing ability.

At face value things are looking up for this franchise, the same franchise that witnessed the most devastating barrage of events in their centennial year. You can't blame me, or anyone else for showing optimism in the changes that have been made by a Man who was once known for his Wait and see methods. Any changes from last year are good changes, we hit rock bottom, or close to it and now we are going up. Its important to keep a sense of realism aswell but at the same time I stated before I was praising his efforts and aggressiveness to change a crippled team, into a possible legit cup contender.

Old
07-19-2009, 11:57 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstanley View Post
i GUARENTEE people will be appreciating Gill's contribution somewhere down the line. thats an absolute definite.
Nope. Pittsburgh fans were happy to see him leave despite what people think his "contributions" to winning the Cup were. On a team with Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Fleury, Guerin, Kunitz, Gonchar and Letang and people think Gill was a major factor? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease. Remember how good Matt Cullen was during the Canes' Cup run? People thought he was an important player, and the Rags brought him in to center their second line. He didn't cut it. Sometimes, you just get the perfect situation where you don't have to anything but "show up." This is what Hall Gill got. He's a slow ass player with no puck skills whatsoever and NO HE IS NOT TOUGH - seriously, did people even watch him play? The guy fought ONCE last year and he lost. He also isn't a bully like Chara.

I never liked his game. I didn't like it in Toronto, Boston or Pittsburgh. Nothing's going to change all of a sudden because he's a Hab. Is everyone who is praising him now actually a fan of Gill? Where you guys talking about how important he was to Pittsburgh before he got here? Was he even on your UFA wishlist?

Old
07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstanley View Post
I completely agree with you on that one. He and Scuderi were lights out in shutting down opponesnt top lines in the playoffs to eventually win it. Gill will do a great job at insolating Price and stop him from being run like we saw so much last year.

As long as Martin uses him properly as his 5-6 guy and on the PK, whcih I'm sure he wil because he's competant, then we will all appreciate Gill on our backend.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 12:04 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
I'm so tired of hearing this from posters who stopped watching the playoffs as soon as the Habs were eliminated. Gill just got a ring fitted and he led Penguins Dmen in +/- in the playoffs.
(1) Mathieu Dandenault has three Cups. It doesn't mean jack ****, especially when you're playing with two of the best players in the world. Gonchar, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guerin, Kunitz, Fleury, Staal.
Not to mention good depth like Talbot, Kennedy, Scuderi, Orpik.

(2) Plus minus is a completely flawed statistic. Gill was buoyed by playing with Scuderi.

(3) Realistically, he was Pittsburgh's sixth defenceman. Is he better than Gonchar? Nope. Is he better than Letang? Nope? Is he better than Orpik? Nada. Is he better than Scuderi? No. Is he better than Eaton? That's debatable.

(4) Can Gill skate? No.
Can Gill make breakout passes? No.
Can Gill shoot? Nope.
Can Gill fight? Not really. If he can, he never does.
Does Gill intimidate? No
Can Gill handle the puck? No.
Does Gill hit hard? No. He has trouble even catching players.

Play him even strength and watch him running around trying to catch Gaborik. That should be fun to see

Old
07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Nope. Pittsburgh fans were happy to see him leave despite what people think his "contributions" to winning the Cup were. On a team with Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Fleury, Guerin, Kunitz, Gonchar and Letang and people think Gill was a major factor? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease. Remember how good Matt Cullen was during the Canes' Cup run? People thought he was an important player, and the Rags brought him in to center their second line. He didn't cut it. Sometimes, you just get the perfect situation where you don't have to anything but "show up." This is what Hall Gill got. He's a slow ass player with no puck skills whatsoever and NO HE IS NOT TOUGH - seriously, did people even watch him play? The guy fought ONCE last year and he lost. He also isn't a bully like Chara.

I never liked his game. I didn't like it in Toronto, Boston or Pittsburgh. Nothing's going to change all of a sudden because he's a Hab. Is everyone who is praising him now actually a fan of Gill? Where you guys talking about how important he was to Pittsburgh before he got here? Was he even on your UFA wishlist?
Regardless of where he played and how he played he won a Cup, thats fact. Yes he had Crosby and Malkin, with Fleury in nets but he still contributed. Your quite quick to dismiss Gill, and are saying he was possibly our worst signing. At facevalue he may look like a weak signing, but you can't say he won't do well in Montreal. Every team is different, and he seemed to do well in a Puck Possession team like Pittsburgh. JM has that style of play and the players we got are abit better all around and defensively, so I don't think we will have the Run and Gun and pray our Defense pull their weight mentality. Its too early to dismiss Gill as a good or bad signing. He is a gamble, but a 6'7 Gamble.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:09 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
I'm praising his efforts, and what looks to be good moves. Nobody can say 100% for certain that his moves were 100% perfect and that they are guarantees. The only Guarantees that I've seen were Tavares, Hedman and Duchene at the draft. Those guys will be future super stars.

Gainey is getting praise from me for changes yes, but changes that in hind sight look like a step forward. yes it could blow up in our face, but no I won't bash him if it does. How the hell are we supposed to know if these signings were good/bad at facevalue? Sure Beauchemin or Seidenburg would have been better over Gill but Gill brings a ring, character, size, and simple puck clearing ability.

At face value things are looking up for this franchise, the same franchise that witnessed the most devastating barrage of events in their centennial year. You can't blame me, or anyone else for showing optimism in the changes that have been made by a Man who was once known for his Wait and see methods. Any changes from last year are good changes, we hit rock bottom, or close to it and now we are going up. Its important to keep a sense of realism aswell but at the same time I stated before I was praising his efforts and aggressiveness to change a crippled team, into a possible legit cup contender.
Possible Cup contender? People need to fall back to Earth. New doesn't equate to better necessarily and old doesn't equate to disaster, either. Expect a solid team because that's what we had before. A Cup contender is a bit far-fetched, though. Do you realize we have none of the top 40 forwards in the NHL? I believe this team can be a contender in the future, but it's going to take the youth on this team becoming somethihg special. Gomez is a solid player, but he's not going to be what some people expect. When you compare him to the top centers on real contenders, he still doesn't match up. Gionta is hardly a top winger, either. He's a top 6 player, but don't expect 40 goals unless you think Cheechoo can score 50 or Afinogenov to top 70 points.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I completely agree with you on that one. He and Scuderi were lights out in shutting down opponesnt top lines in the playoffs to eventually win it. Gill will do a great job at insolating Price and stop him from being run like we saw so much last year.

As long as Martin uses him properly as his 5-6 guy and on the PK, whcih I'm sure he wil because he's competant, then we will all appreciate Gill on our backend.
Glad to see someone kept watchin the playoffs after the Habs were eliminated.

Quote:
(1) Mathieu Dandenault has three Cups. It doesn't mean jack ****, especially when you're playing with two of the best players in the world. Gonchar, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guerin, Kunitz, Fleury, Staal.
Not to mention good depth like Talbot, Kennedy, Scuderi, Orpik.

(2) Plus minus is a completely flawed statistic. Gill was buoyed by playing with Scuderi.

(3) Realistically, he was Pittsburgh's sixth defenceman. Is he better than Gonchar? Nope. Is he better than Letang? Nope? Is he better than Orpik? Nada. Is he better than Scuderi? No. Is he better than Eaton? That's debatable.

(4) Can Gill skate? No.
Can Gill make breakout passes? No.
Can Gill shoot? Nope.
Can Gill fight? Not really. If he can, he never does.
Does Gill intimidate? No
Can Gill handle the puck? No.
Does Gill hit hard? No. He has trouble even catching players.

Play him even strength and watch him running around trying to catch Gaborik. That should be fun to see
Sad to see someone stopped watching the playoffs after the Habs were eliminated He did an excellent job containing Detroit's firepower, passing, and puck dominance on the big stage....why wouldn't he be able to handle Gaborik?

Old
07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Regardless of where he played and how he played he won a Cup, thats fact. Yes he had Crosby and Malkin, with Fleury in nets but he still contributed. Your quite quick to dismiss Gill, and are saying he was possibly our worst signing. At facevalue he may look like a weak signing, but you can't say he won't do well in Montreal. Every team is different, and he seemed to do well in a Puck Possession team like Pittsburgh. JM has that style of play and the players we got are abit better all around and defensively, so I don't think we will have the Run and Gun and pray our Defense pull their weight mentality. Its too early to dismiss Gill as a good or bad signing. He is a gamble, but a 6'7 Gamble.
See. That's the problem. I'm just not enamored by size. Some people are, but a player who doesn't use his size doesn't really do anything for me. Gill's use of his size stops at him having a long reach and a long stick. It's not that I don't appreciate big players, but I want them to also be the most talented. I like Paul Mara because he has offensive ability - he might not be a PP QB anymore but he can shoot and he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Mara is also solid and capable of playing ES minutes without getting abused like a traffic cone.

Old
Shabutie

Quote:

Nope...but truthfully I did watch the playoffs from first round to last and I didn't see Gill as a liability at all.

I don't mind his signing at all. We needed someone who clears the crease (especially on the PK), and he's one to do it.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheCH*

Quote:
+/- means nothing. If you are going to use that stat to back up Gill being so good, then you'd also have to allow people to use that stat to back up saying Markov sucks defensively(as he was a -2 last year). But obviously thats BS, Markov is a beast in all 3 zones.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 12:14 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Nope. Pittsburgh fans were happy to see him leave despite what people think his "contributions" to winning the Cup were.
Just thought I'd check the Pens board for some threads from around the time of the signing. I won't post the links because you clearly need to go over there and get a reality check.

Not many Pens posters had illusions about what he brought, but unlike posters like yourself, they also weren't prone to dramatic fallacy.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote