HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turmoil at CIT could ripple through NHL and Habs

Old
07-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
could be bad news for many NHL teams(Habs)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...8#post20431348

Quote:
A chapter 11 filing could be bad news for many NHL teams. It has been an important lender to several, including the Ottawa Senators, Montreal Canadiens
, New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators.

CIT Group's troubles "are going to be horrible for [the NHL]," said a financial adviser to several sports teams who asked not to be identified because he works with hockey clubs. "When those [financings] come up for renewal I just don't know what happens."

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
**** does this mean that they loan us money and we will have to pay up? or that they finance us and we won't be getting that revenue anymore? not great with this stuff?

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
**** does this mean that they loan us money and we will have to pay up? or that they finance us and we won't be getting that revenue anymore? not great with this stuff?
when the people lending you money go bankrupt...not so good...

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

I wouldn't worry about it. League is healthy, loans were made to help with certain financial acquisitions and will get get bought out like they always do or company will get bailed out.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Canadiens1958

Normal

You will always have greed. Right now all the competing and smaller banks or lenders are try to figure out how to get their best share of the potential CIT Group carcass. They do it as a matter of course when the competition is financially healthy.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
deandebean

CIT was a big lender under Gillett. But with the Molsons, it's a different story.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Come on... The Habs are a high revenue grossing team, top 3 in the league, how the hell would they have trouble finding financing elsewhere...

Yet more non-sensical alarmist gibberish.

As for Jersey, they live in the land of financing and have many links (with Steinbrunner) to financial big shots.

The ones in trouble would be teams like the Sens, but their financial plan has been working really good since the league helped them and I don't see how they would have difficulty finding financing when backed up by a league that generates a high revenue stream, and has been profitable and always in the black since the new CBA.

And its not like this is nothing new, CitiGroup has had problems for a whole friggin year now. By now, most of these teams are probably looking elsewhere to get their financing.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
number 11

team just sold for $630 million, I'm sure our owners have plenty of cash to go around.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:30 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Come on... The Habs are a high revenue grossing team, top 3 in the league, how the hell would they have trouble finding financing elsewhere...

Yet more non-sensical alarmist gibberish.

As for Jersey, they live in the land of financing and have many links (with Steinbrunner) to financial big shots.

The ones in trouble would be teams like the Sens, but their financial plan has been working really good since the league helped them and I don't see how they would have difficulty finding financing when backed up by a league that generates a high revenue stream, and has been profitable and always in the black since the new CBA.

And its not like this is nothing new, CitiGroup has had problems for a whole friggin year now. By now, most of these teams are probably looking elsewhere to get their financing.
I really can't see ottawa beeing in much trouble they should have no issues finding financing.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
WestIslander

Don`t read into this too much!

Montreal is one of the richest and most successful franchises in the NHL and in professional sports.

When people say that the Leafs, Rangers and maybe even Red Wings are worth more, I laugh because I don`t see anyone lining up and paying $630,000,000.00 for them.

We are and will always be in good shape, even if we finish with 53 points this season, the place (Centre Bell) will still be jam packed and booming.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
CIT was a big lender under Gillett. But with the Molsons, it's a different story.
True dude.

It as the 300 million $ loan he took out on the Habs, which will be repaid once the sell goes through in October/November.

I don't think the Molsons have any link with CiTiGroup. It would be kinda dumb to go ask for financing to an institution which has been in deep trouble for a whole year. Makes no sense.

What is it with people nowadays, always expecting catastrophes at every turn??

Too many of those farfetched movies like 2012 and Knowing (with Nicholas Cage).

Old
07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I really can't see ottawa beeing in much trouble they should have no issues finding financing.
Dude, reread what I wrote, that's exactly what I said.

You should have read further after the "but".

Old
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Kafka

When an industry is making profits, there is no worries to have. But to dance, you need a partner, and some NHL teams are not making profits, meaning that the current model is probably not the right one. The salary cap was a great adjustment to prevent 5-6 teams from building UFAs empires (à la New York Yankees). Despite that, a few teams are dragging down the league.

The league as no choice IMO to take that occasion to bring back NHL teams in hockey cities. Winnipeg, Quebec are among those cities. Hamilton? Why not. It would give an additionnal chance to Ontarians to see for the first time since the White Album the Stanley Cup.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Dude, reread what I wrote, that's exactly what I said.

You should have read further after the "but".
Yes i should have sorry about that.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Oh dear. Let me see. Everyone knows that when a bank is in trouble the homes and businesses under their financing suddenly vapourize in the middle of the night.

The anonymous financial advisor is keeping himself anonymous to conceal his cluelessness.

If these are good paying customers then CIT will fight to keep them happy as I presume their goal will be to come out of bankruptcy protection with a profitable operation. Otherwise they will sell off these loans to other banks who will be more than willing to do business with our NHL friends. Who knows, lenders might be lining up now to pick up the pieces, and CIT may have to sweeten their deals to retain customers. But I guess if it were a good thing for the NHL that would not be a very good story.

I am surprised we still have a breathable atmosphere given the number of times the sky falls in a day.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
When an industry is making profits, there is no worries to have. But to dance, you need a partner, and some NHL teams are not making profits, meaning that the current model is probably not the right one. The salary cap was a great adjustment to prevent 5-6 teams from building UFAs empires (à la New York Yankees). Despite that, a few teams are dragging down the league.

The league as no choice IMO to take that occasion to bring back NHL teams in hockey cities. Winnipeg, Quebec are among those cities. Hamilton? Why not. It would give an additionnal chance to Ontarians to see for the first time since the White Album the Stanley Cup.
In the next CBA negociations, the players won't really have a choice but to continue with the cap system. The league will have to compromise on other things. As they've already compromised on UFA age and RFA offer sheets, the next logical step, in the whole process of becoming partners in profit, will be to force the league to ramp-up revenue sharing, which is still not adequate. The revenue sharing format should also be changed and based on profit, not on total revenues like it is right now.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
sandman08

Quote:
You have it down to a T, my dear friend.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
wait.. so you mean i didnt have to really read that super long post?! damn it!

on topic.. i'd say let it all playout before worrying about things.. too many variables at this point in time, and of those teams mentioned it'd be the preds who have the most to lose, melnyk is or was worth over a billion not too long ago and w/ a brand new rink/stadium the devils should fare fine, and the habs as previously stated are a high revenue club so they wouldnt be a team that would suffer from probs with getting financing..

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
wait.. so you mean i didnt have to really read that super long post?! damn it!

on topic.. i'd say let it all playout before worrying about things.. too many variables at this point in time, and of those teams mentioned it'd be the preds who have the most to lose, melnyk is or was worth over a billion not too long ago and w/ a brand new rink/stadium the devils should fare fine, and the habs as previously stated are a high revenue club so they wouldnt be a team that would suffer from probs with getting financing..
You don't read books and have never went to the University, right? And if you did, how the hell did you ever manage reading through all the books???

I mean, if you find a post of 12 lines to be long, you might consider finding new hobbies that don't involve reading, ahem.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
sandman08

Quote:
You don't read books and have never went to the University, right? And if you did, how the hell did you ever manage reading through all the books???

I mean, if you find a post of 12 lines to be long, you might consider finding new hobbies that don't involve reading, ahem.

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
goalchenyuk

Turmoil at CIT could ripple through NHL and Habs

financial problems of the CIT could affect few teams of the NHL and the Habs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1217296/

http://pouliot.argent.canoe.ca/2009/...son_devrait_ap

" La famille et ses partenaires doivent en effet assumer la dette de 350 M$ CAN attachée au Canadien et à son amphithéâtre.

Or, cette dette serait actuellement au centre d’importantes discussions, avec CIT comme acteur de premier plan.
Nous avons appris que l’emprunt, ou à tout le moins sa majeure partie, faisait l’objet d’une clause de refinancement en cas de vente du club et de l’amphithéâtre.

Cette clause permet au syndicat bancaire en place de demander à ravoir son argent. "

i will let someone better in english translates the mean points of the article .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 07:57 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Don`t read into this too much!

Montreal is one of the richest and most successful franchises in the NHL and in professional sports.

When people say that the Leafs, Rangers and maybe even Red Wings are worth more, I laugh because I don`t see anyone lining up and paying $630,000,000.00 for them.

We are and will always be in good shape, even if we finish with 53 points this season, the place (Centre Bell) will still be jam packed and booming.
You do realize those teams would have to be for sale first, right?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 08:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

The rumor I heard at work was that CIT was going to be private funding to bail them out (I work for citigroup) so this could be all about nothing.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Turboflex*

This won't be a problem, looks like investors are stepping in to keep the company afloat for a while.

Even if CIT went bankrupt and was liquidated, loans to NHL teams wouldn't be the problem since they are solid, performing loans, someone else would take those onto their books (likely at a pretty nice price in liquidation).

There's a lot more bad non-performing loans on the books that are bringing down the company and making it difficult for it to get credit.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
HCH

While the CIT situation may not directly affect the Habs, the contraction in the credit markets and the financial services industry could have a significant affect on some teams and therefore league operations.

This credit crunch has hit industries much larger than the NHL so to assume that the league is immune is kind of like whistling past the graveyard.

Three weeks ago the US Federal Reserve had said that CIT was well capitalized to carry on business going forward. One week ago, the company had to receive its second multi-billion dollar injection to keep the doors open. If the Federal Reserve can misrepresent the viability of a financial services company, don't you think the NHL can do the same with regard to its operations.

This is a league that faces huge financial challenges but to even hint at that in public would be suicide. There is huge pressure to maintainn the illusion of stability and growth. Struggling leagues see sponsorship disappear along with ticket sales.

The league needs companies like CIT to continue to offer financing to the various teams but bank lending is contracting. Many owners are operating their franchises on borrowed money. In some cases credit will not be available and where it is, the terms may be a lot different.

The commercial paper market has evaporated. In the past, that allowed companies (ie. NHL owners) to borrow money for extremely low rates. With access to that money all but gone, companies have had to turn to longer term loans and the bond market for capital. That is a much more expensive proposition and when you are operating on razor thin margins it is enough to throw you into the red.

The problems with the financial services markets are a big bump in the road. Franchises like the Habs are likely okay but we need a league to play in and that league could look much different in a couple of years if economic conditions don't improve.

It's just that no one wants to (or can afford to) admit it.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 04:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
The commercial paper market has evaporated. In the past, that allowed companies (ie. NHL owners) to borrow money for extremely low rates. With access to that money all but gone, companies have had to turn to longer term loans and the bond market for capital. That is a much more expensive proposition and when you are operating on razor thin margins it is enough to throw you into the red.
Not true at all, I work with commercial paper, volume is good and steady and prices are back to par and above.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote