HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Line Predictions 09-10

Old
07-21-2009, 07:31 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

vCash: 500
Line Predictions 09-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me from the Offseason/Salary Thread
So where does this put our forward lines? Does Maloney go with the Czech line like some in the Trade forum suggest? Or does Vrbata become a 3rd liner with Hanzal and Korpedo?

Optimal lines, IMO:

Doan - FA Scorer - Mueller
Prucha - Lombardi - Upshall
Korpedo - Hanzal - Vrbata
Boedker - Fiddler - Tikhonov
ex. Winnik, GMDM's Goon

or if we dont go after a FA Scorer, this could be interesting

Prucha - Lombardi - Upshall
Doan - Mueller (back to C, maybe) - Vrbata
Korpedo - Hanzal - Tikhonov
Winnik - Fiddler - Boedker
ex. GMDM's Goon

Doan - Lombardi - Mueller
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpedo - Fiddler - Upshall
Boedker - Winnik - Tikhonov
ex. GMDM's Goon

Another thought that could be entertained by Maloney is packaging up someone for a premier scoring forward, but I doubt with the financial situation that we could pay money for that, unless we trade for Kessel's rights and shed payroll at the same time
I figured instead of putting it in the salary thread this warranted its own thread...

Last edited by mouser: 07-22-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: title edit, yup deserves own thread
HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Winnik and Turris to AHL.

The top line should be Doan, Mueller, and a new scorer. I'm not sure what positions to put them at. Doan can play either wing, and Mueller can play all three forward postions. So, I guess I can't really put the line together until I know who the third man is. After that line, though...

Upshall-Lombardi-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Fiddler-Tikhonov <---checking line
DM's Goon

Jovanovski-Michalek <---only two top pairing D on the team
Aucoin-Sauer <---I like Sauer's mobility better than Vandy's and Aucoin doesn't move too well, anymore
Yandle-Vandermeer
Lepisto

Bryzgalov
LaBarbera/Montoya <---may the best man win

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Same as RT's, but swap Yandle with Aucoin

Jovo/Z - they had a better year in '07-8 together than Z/Sauer in '08-9
Yandle/Sauer -- I'm all for giving Yandle more minutes, only getting better
Aucoin/Vandermeer
Lepisto

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Bandit34

I'd say(as the way the team is now with Turris, Porter, Maclean in the minors):

Upshall(rfa) - Hanzal - Vrbata
Boedker - Fiddler - Prucha
Korpikoski - Winnik(rfa) - Tihkonov
GMDM GOON

Jovanovski - Michalek
Yandle - Aucoin
Vandermeer - Sauer
Schlemko

Bryzgalov
One of the Three

Bandit34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:28 PM
PhoPhan

I'll give it a shot, although I concede this could all go to **** depending on who is brought in, especially if they have to trade someone to do so, and of course it's completely moot if Gretzky is still coach and decides to change things up before the first shift is over. Anyway:

Shane Doan - Martin Hanzal - Radim Vrbata

Doan on the first line is a no brainer. After Doan, there isn't a forward on this team who has scored more goals in a season than Vrbata; it's his spot to lose. Moreover, Maloney seems especially taken by the chemistry Hanzal had with Vrbata. This is his chance to take the next step. This would also be the team's best defensive line, one that could match up with any top line in the league.

Scottie Upshall - Mike Lombardi - Peter Mueller
Upshall and Lombardi found chemistry in their limited time together last year, so I'm banking on that carrying over. They're both quick, gritty and hard-working enough that maybe some of it will rub off on Mueller, and even if it doesn't, they can maybe make up for his tentativeness. If Upshall can consistently crash the net, Mueller won't have to very often. Still, I'm praying we don't have another Nagy on our hands here and Mueller bounces back. Each of these guys could pot 25 rather easily, but they'll have to click.

Petr Prucha - **New Addition** - Mikkel Boedker
Prucha was a bit of a spark in limited action last year, so the hope is obviously that he can keep that up and Boedker can take the next step. I'm also assuming this new addition is of the defensively responsible, playmaking sort, and I'm aiming a bit low placing him on the third line. Everyone on this team not named Shane is a complete wildcard, but this line seems especially sink-or-swim.

Lauri Korpikoski - Vernon Fiddler - Viktor Tikhonov
This line obviously won't be counted on for much scoring, and while Fiddler is of course a lock for 11 or so goals at center, Tikhonov and Korpikoski both have the upside to eclipse that but still be valuable as defensive stalwarts if they don't.

In the forward ranks, the name of the game is upside. I could see this corps combining for 220-230 goals if most of them hit on all cylinders, but I could see them barely cracking 175 if it's mostly flops. We'll see. Also, Dan Winnik can rotate in as the 13th forward, and I'd expect to see Kyle Turris, Kevin Porter, Chad Kolarik and Brett MacLean all get cups of coffee throughout the year. As for defense:

Ed Jovanovski - Zbynek Michalek
This is the de facto top pairing. Jovanovski, for whatever his downside is, remains the most consistent offensive weapon on the blueline. As he declines and Yandle improves (and the coaching staff gains faith in him), that could change, but it's his spot to lose. As for Michalek, there's nothing I can say about him that hasn't already been said about both him and Teppo Numminen before him. He's as steady as they come.

Kurt Sauer - Keith Yandle
Sauer was a revelation last year, a player whose absence greatly hurt this team. If he stays healthy and Yandle continues his offensive ascent (and the coaching staff, whoever it may be, gets over its grudge against him), this is almost as good a pair as Jovo/Z. Neither is a true #1 pairing, but both can be better than the average #2, and I'd put that top four up against most in the league.

Sami Lepisto - Jim Vandermeer
Continuing the trend of pairing an offensively gifted rearguard with a defensive stalwart, this duo is obviously the least promising of the three, but if Vandermeer can regain his form and Lepisto proves to be the creative wunderkind he's billed as, this could be a very helpful third pairing.

Moreover, if either of the bottom pairing guys proves not to be up for the challenge or if anyone has to miss time for whatever reason, Adrian Aucoin makes for a great #7. I think, given his age and declining skills, he'll be used in the Ken Klee stopgap role, but that should get him at least 40 or 50 games. Jonas Ahnelov can probably expect a callup at some point, as well. Once again, none of this will probably be close to what see this season, but it at least makes sense to me right now.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHunter View Post
Same as RT's, but swap Yandle with Aucoin
If Yandle earns it, I'd be fine with that. I think those minutes are Aucoins to lose, though. At least to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
Yandle - Aucoin
With that pairing, you just know someone will score a goal. You just have no idea which team it will be. Seriously, though, Aucoin's lost a step he never had, and wasn't particularly solid defensively to begin with. Yandle has improved in that department, but is still young, and still has a long way to go, in my opinion.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Moreover, if either of the bottom pairing guys proves not to be up for the challenge or if anyone has to miss time for whatever reason, Adrian Aucoin makes for a great #7. I think, given his age and declining skills, he'll be used in the Ken Klee stopgap role, but that should get him at least 40 or 50 games.
No, no. He was playing twenty two minutes a night on a playoff team, just last season. You don't go from that to seventh D, on a basement team, in just one summer. The only thing Lepisto has proven, to this point, is that he's been unable to crack an NHL blueline. That's not enough to give him the job over a guy who makes four times as much. Aucoin had ten goals and thirty four points in the NHL, last season. Lepisto had four goals and fourty two points in the AHL.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Lauri Korpikoski - Vernon Fiddler - Viktor Tikhonov
Hoping I see this line at some point. All so very technically sound with their sticks and positioning. Not your typical grind line, but definitely a frustration line. Tikhonov, when not on his ass, is pretty good along the boards and at keep-away.

Quote:
Petr Prucha - **New Addition** - Mikkel Boedker
Why not slot Kevin Porter in here? He is too talented offensively to play on the 4th line with Korpedo and Tiki, and Fiddler is not nearly good enough offensively for the 3rd line. I don't see us signing anyone of worth for the slot you have here. Is Justin Williams still available, perhaps? If not, I'd like to keep that spot for Porter and for Turris to slide into if he tears up the AHL.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No, no. He was playing twenty two minutes a night on a playoff team, just last season. You don't go from that to seventh D, on a basement team, in just one summer. The only thing Lepisto has proven, to this point, is that he's been unable to crack an NHL blueline. That's not enough to give him the job over a guy who makes four times as much. Aucoin had ten goals and thirty four points in the NHL, last season. Lepisto had four goals and fourty two points in the AHL.
Lepisto is also 12 years younger than Aucoin. I expect Lepisto to sit once in a while (as with Vandermeer) and of course I expect some guys to miss time here and there, so Aucoin will still see plenty of action. And if Lepisto is a bust, then Aucoin is obviously going to take his place. But I'm expecting Lepisto to pan out.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Why not slot Kevin Porter in here? He is too talented offensively to play on the 4th line with Korpedo and Tiki, and Fiddler is not nearly good enough offensively for the 3rd line. I don't see us signing anyone of worth for the slot you have here. Is Justin Williams still available, perhaps? If not, I'd like to keep that spot for Porter and for Turris to slide into if he tears up the AHL.
I'd be fine with that, but I'm still expecting Don Maloney to keep his word of finding another scoring forward and not rush the youngsters.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Fair enough, but there are different kinds of thirty six. Aucoin was still quite effective last year, I don't see any reason to expect him to fall off a cliff. Unless, of course, you think Lepisto will be better next season than Aucoin was last season.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'd be fine with that, but I'm still expecting Don Maloney to keep his word of finding another scoring forward and not rush the youngsters.
Yeah, I want Porter down in the AHL, anyway. Let him and Kolarik continue to develop slowly, and learn to dominate each level. It'll only help their confidence. We'll FINALLY have a good farm team, too. MacLean, Turris, Kolarik, Porter, Winnik, Ross, Ahnelov, ect.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:44 PM
PhoPhan

I'd expect them to have fairly similar production, actually. I'd predict roughly 25-30 points out of either of them given a full season. I just think Lepisto has the higher upside.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
XX
... Waiting

If we ran with Pho's lines, lets say. The bottom 2 pairings had better have some very good passers, given the talent in the bottom 6. Generally speaking, most teams would be icing slower and less talented bottom 6 groups. That would be a prime time to take advantage of break-aways and stretch passes. I think that is something that Morris brought to the team that needs to be replaced. Perhaps Lepisto can bring that, and Yandle has done it from time to time, but both need to step up in a big way in that regard. Our breakouts were god awful last year.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
PhoPhan

This is the key difference between Lepisto and Aucoin, and one that will determine who plays more. Aucoin gets his points from his booming slapshot, which is how he managed 10 goals last year. A lot of those assists are from the havoc it causes in front of the net, I imagine. Lepisto, on the other hand, is more of the playmaking, pass-first defenseman variety. Whoever fits better in whatever style the Coyotes play will ultimately be more productive.

Unless, of course, one pisses off the coaching staff or the other practices particularly hard.

Old
07-21-2009, 09:00 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
or the other practices particularly hard.
David Hale, apparently, practiced very hard from all reports

Old
07-21-2009, 09:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
This is the key difference between Lepisto and Aucoin, and one that will determine who plays more. Aucoin gets his points from his booming slapshot, which is how he managed 10 goals last year. A lot of those assists are from the havoc it causes in front of the net, I imagine. Lepisto, on the other hand, is more of the playmaking, pass-first defenseman variety. Whoever fits better in whatever style the Coyotes play will ultimately be more productive.

Unless, of course, one pisses off the coaching staff or the other practices particularly hard.
HAHA! All good points.

Old
07-21-2009, 09:53 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Mike Lombardi, eh? You've done your homework.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:05 AM
YotesFan

Sign Afinigenov to two year 5.5M deal.

Doan Mueller Afinigenov
Upshall Lombardi Prucha
Korpedo Hanzal Vrbata
Tikhinov Fiddler Boedker
Winnik

Z Jovo
Aucoin Sauer
Yandle Vandermeer

Bryz
Montoya

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:28 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post

Doan Mueller Afinigenov
Upshall Lombardi Prucha
Korpedo Hanzal Vrbata
Tikhinov Fiddler Boedker
Winnik

Z Jovo
Aucoin Sauer
Yandle Vandermeer

Bryz
Montoya
I like everything here except swap these two and remove Afinogenov from the team.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:33 AM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Winnik and Turris to AHL.

The top line should be Doan, Mueller, and a new scorer. I'm not sure what positions to put them at. Doan can play either wing, and Mueller can play all three forward postions. So, I guess I can't really put the line together until I know who the third man is. After that line, though...

Upshall-Lombardi-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Fiddler-Tikhonov <---checking line
DM's Goon

Jovanovski-Michalek <---only two top pairing D on the team
Aucoin-Sauer <---I like Sauer's mobility better than Vandy's and Aucoin doesn't move too well, anymore
Yandle-Vandermeer
Lepisto

Bryzgalov
LaBarbera/Montoya <---may the best man win
The nature of this lineup of players is that no lines will stay together all season long. Lines will be formed and shuffled and reformed as guys enter and reenter hot streaks throughout the year. We can expect growth from both Boedker and Tikh - Mueller and Hanzal, however, are wild cards. As is Korpikoski, Prucha, Upshall, and Vrbata. Lombo will score his 50 points. But aside from that, the only thing certain is Doaner and Vern's 11 goals.

It's funny that people on here have players all over the map (i.e. hanzal centering 1st line and 3rd line, Boedker playing 1st line and 4th line, Turris centering 1st line and playing in AHL) Nice to see how predictable our team's production will be this upcoming year.

Old
07-22-2009, 02:42 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post

Doan Mueller Afinigenov
Upshall Lombardi Prucha
Korpedo Hanzal Vrbata
Tikhinov Fiddler Boedker
Winnik

Z Jovo
Aucoin Sauer
Yandle Vandermeer

Bryz
Montoya
Afinogenov is a bad idea. Even worse if you're giving him a raise.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Spectacular_Bid

I personally think that the roster is set. I really doubt that DM is going to make any other moods, but he's suprised me before. Here are my forward lines:

Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata

Upshall - Porter - Boedker

Korpikoski - Fiddler - Tikhonov

Winnik

I disagree with RT about having Porter in SA. The kid is 23 and he showed at the end of last season in SA that he's ready for a full time spot in Phoenix. Compare him to Kris Veersteg. Same age and very similiar AHL numbers. Versteeg averages .875 points per game in 56 games in the AHL the year before last and Porter averaged .833points per game in 42 games with SA last year. I really think playing with Boedker and Upshall he could score 40-45 points next season. Just my thoughts and this all changes if DM brings in another skilled forward.

Spectacular_Bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Bid View Post
I personally think that the roster is set. I really doubt that DM is going to make any other moods, but he's suprised me before. Here are my forward lines:

Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata

Winnik

I disagree with RT about having Porter in SA. The kid is 23 and he showed at the end of last season in SA that he's ready for a full time spot in Phoenix. Compare him to Kris Veersteg. Same age and very similiar AHL numbers. Versteeg averages .875 points per game in 56 games in the AHL the year before last and Porter averaged .833points per game in 42 games with SA last year. I really think playing with Boedker and Upshall he could score 40-45 points next season. Just my thoughts and this all changes if DM brings in another skilled forward.
I like these line combinations the best.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Bid View Post

Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata

Winnik

Upshall AND Boedker on the 3rd line?