HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Predictions 09-10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
  #26
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Shane Doan - Martin Hanzal - Radim Vrbata
I'm very intrigued by this line. I hope it gets a shot.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
  #27
YotesFan
Registered User
 
YotesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
Afinogenov is a bad idea. Even worse if you're giving him a raise.
I don't think that would be a raise 5.5M over two years is 2.75M a year. Anyway for UFA's left out there I think he fits the bill as a top six guy who can score and create. Plus he's a great skater.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
  #28
indczn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
I don't think that would be a raise 5.5M over two years is 2.75M a year. Anyway for UFA's left out there I think he fits the bill as a top six guy who can score and create. Plus he's a great skater.
Don't know why they would consider playing Afinogenov when they clearly didnt want to pay Lisin.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
  #29
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Don't know why they would consider playing Afinogenov when they clearly didnt want to pay Lisin.
Yeah, the same issues exist. I really don't like Afinogenov, myself.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 03:31 PM
  #30
k1llua
 
k1llua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
I don't think that would be a raise 5.5M over two years is 2.75M a year. Anyway for UFA's left out there I think he fits the bill as a top six guy who can score and create. Plus he's a great skater.
He made 2.2M last year. Afinogenov at best is a reclamation project. You don't give reclamation projects raises.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
  #31
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Shane Doan-Matthew Lombardi- UFA or trade top line winger
Scottie Upshall-Martin Hanzal-Radim Vrbata
Petr Prucha-Peter Mueller-Mikkel Boedker
Lauri Korpikoski-Vernon Fiddler-Viktor Tikhonov

Spare: Daniel Winnik; AHL: Kyle Turris

Zbynek Michalek-Ed Jovanovski
Kurt Sauer-Adrian Aucoin
Keith Yandle-Jim Vandermeer
Sami Lepisto

Outside chance: Jonas Ahnelov

Ilya Bryzgalov
Al Montoya

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
  #32
Spectacular_Bid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Upshall AND Boedker on the 3rd line?
Yes. Upshall has really only played three full seasons in the NHL. He scored 30 points two years ago and 34 points last year. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a third liner. On this team he's probably a second liner, but I like the combination of him, Porter and Boedker.

As far as Boedker, while I think he has first line talent written all over him he hasn't proved anything yet. He has a nice season last year, but he didn't set the league on fire. I'm sure he'll get a lot of power play time, but another year on the third line will not kill him.

Spectacular_Bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
  #33
white_tiger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 1,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
I'd say(as the way the team is now with Turris, Porter, Maclean in the minors):

Doan - Lombardi - Mueller
Upshall(rfa) - Hanzal - Vrbata
Boedker - Fiddler - Prucha
Korpikoski - Winnik(rfa) - Tihkonov
GMDM GOON

Jovanovski - Michalek
Yandle - Aucoin
Vandermeer - Sauer
Schlemko

Bryzgalov
One of the Three
Yeah but Tiki,Bods,Fiddler and Korpikoski are all on the bubble if they don't step it up a notch and any of Turris, Porter, Maclean, Kolorik has a standout camp or starts lighting up the AHL...

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
  #34
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
What about the PK:

Fiddler-Korpikoski
Sauer-Michalek

The number of blocked shots by the first pk unit is going to be insane.

Hanzal-Prucha/Vrbata/Tihk
Vandermeer-Aucoin/Jovo

and of course the shootout:

Vrbata
Mueller
Doan

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:13 AM
  #35
YotesFan
Registered User
 
YotesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Lets just say we don't add anyone else and go with the roster we have now:

Doan Mueller Prucha
Upshall Lombardi Boedker
Korpedo Hanzal Vrbata
Tik Fiddler Porter
Winnik

Z Jovo
Aucoin Sauer
Yandle Vandermeer

Bryz
Montoya

PP:
Doan Lombardi Vrbata
Jovo Mueller

Upshal Hanzal Prucha
Aucoin Yandle

PK:
Korpedo Fiddler
Z Sauer
Vrbata Hanzal
Jovo Vandermeer

Shootout:
Mueller
Doan
Vrbata

I think we could make the playoffs if everyone has an average to good year, can't afford any big time injuries or slumps.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:46 AM
  #36
Bandit34
Registered User
 
Bandit34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: HFBoards
Country: United States
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
I feel Tikhonov may get beat out this year. To me, he's looking pretty redundant. He won't be playing on the pp and it looks like we have better guys for the pk. He doesn't hit nor fight either.

I think maybe an offensive player like Maclean will beat him out or we might go to a tougher player.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:11 AM
  #37
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,843
vCash: 500
Tikhonov gets crazy underrated, around here. He was asked to play a certain role, and played it extremely well. Like Hanzal, it doesn't mean that he's not capable of much, much more. Viktor definitely needs a serious adjustment to North American hockey, and likes to carry the puck waaay too much. This is not beyond fixing. He's got the brain and the eyeballs to become something special. Just like Hanzal.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 05:14 AM
  #38
RR
Moderator
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
I feel Tikhonov may get beat out this year. To me, he's looking pretty redundant. He won't be playing on the pp and it looks like we have better guys for the pk. He doesn't hit nor fight either.

I think maybe an offensive player like Maclean will beat him out or we might go to a tougher player.
Only way I see Tikh getting sent down would be if we lose Upshall or don't add another scorer -- if both those things happen we'll probably all off ourselves so what I say next won't matter -- and MacLean or Kolarik absolutely lights it up in camp.

I like him on the 4th line with Korpikoski and Fiddler. All are solid defensively making it a great line for 5-on-5. And by sitting on special teams he can take some extra 30-second shifts by spelling a forward coming off the PP or PK.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 05:49 AM
  #39
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Tikhonov gets crazy underrated, around here. He was asked to play a certain role, and played it extremely well. Like Hanzal, it doesn't mean that he's not capable of much, much more. Viktor definitely needs a serious adjustment to North American hockey, and likes to carry the puck waaay too much. This is not beyond fixing. He's got the brain and the eyeballs to become something special. Just like Hanzal.
What is his flaw though? I say it is his decision making. He holds the puck too long, because he doesn't look up. He gets leveled because he doesn't look up. He carries the puck into danger because he doesn't look up.

The AHL would give him a place to learn how to look up because it is a development league and because he will always have a half second extra to build that confidence. It will also give him a chance to fix some of the other developmental issues with his game as a young player.

Of course, he'll have to deal with getting demoted and might bolt to Russia, after which about half the people on this board will discount him as worthless.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 05:51 AM
  #40
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Only way I see Tikh getting sent down would be if we lose Upshall or don't add another scorer -- if both those things happen we'll probably all off ourselves so what I say next won't matter -- and MacLean or Kolarik absolutely lights it up in camp.
So, if there are one or two extra roster spots he will get sent down, but if the forward ranks are crowded he'll stay. Um, what?

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 06:52 AM
  #41
RR
Moderator
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
So, if there are one or two extra roster spots he will get sent down, but if the forward ranks are crowded he'll stay. Um, what?
Turris would stay up if Upshall is lost or a veteran scorer (I'll use Tanguay as an example) is not added. How could you not know that's what I meant? Didn't you read all of my previous posts?

In that situation Tikhonov could get sent down for more offense, say for MacLean if he has a great camp and appears ready to break out.

Lombardi, Turris, Hanzal and Fiddler as centers
Upshall or Tanguay, Mueller, Doan, Boedker, Prucha, Vrbata, Korpedo, MacLean at wings

If Upshall and Tanguay are both here, Turris goes down, Mueller goes to center and Tikh stays regardless of the camp MacLean or other kids might have.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 10:51 AM
  #42
SH1VERmeT1MBERS
Registered User
 
SH1VERmeT1MBERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surprise
Country: United States
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
What is his flaw though? I say it is his decision making. He holds the puck too long, because he doesn't look up. He gets leveled because he doesn't look up. He carries the puck into danger because he doesn't look up.

The AHL would give him a place to learn how to look up because it is a development league and because he will always have a half second extra to build that confidence. It will also give him a chance to fix some of the other developmental issues with his game as a young player.

Of course, he'll have to deal with getting demoted and might bolt to Russia, after which about half the people on this board will discount him as worthless.
You are exactly right, that is Tikh's major flaw, and it's a huge problem for him. If he can fix that part of his game, he'll be a very good player. If he can't fix it, I see concussion problems in his future.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:09 AM
  #43
Ace2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country:
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
stack the first 3 dman pairs instead of the fwd lines

jovo-z are the default top duo

Aucoin needs a good skater to partner w/....maybe yandle maybe not

and the 3rd pairing is going to need more than lepisto /vandermeer etc to save it...make a significant trade w/ a team stacked on defense like colorado.....I don't know for what exactly but the focus has to be on getting a complete effort from all of the players on the fwd lines.... and also getting a solid top pair calibre defender through trade...the team is so stacked that to waste a year to just "develop" the blueline is silly when they've got 3 30+yr old dmen and a decent corps of 20-30 goal capable fwds(probably the most in the league in fact) 1 more solid dman now before other teams start getting injuries on the blueline and drive up the asking price for a vet dman would be key

time for the GM to earn his kudos...because the next F.Beauchemin is out there...can they find him?

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:30 AM
  #44
SH1VERmeT1MBERS
Registered User
 
SH1VERmeT1MBERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surprise
Country: United States
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
stack the first 3 dman pairs instead of the fwd lines

jovo-z are the default top duo

Aucoin needs a good skater to partner w/....maybe yandle maybe not

and the 3rd pairing is going to need more than lepisto /vandermeer etc to save it...make a significant trade w/ a team stacked on defense like colorado.....I don't know for what exactly but the focus has to be on getting a complete effort from all of the players on the fwd lines.... and also getting a solid top pair calibre defender through trade...the team is so stacked that to waste a year to just "develop" the blueline is silly when they've got 3 30+yr old dmen and a decent corps of 20-30 goal capable fwds(probably the most in the league in fact) 1 more solid dman now before other teams start getting injuries on the blueline and drive up the asking price for a vet dman would be key

time for the GM to earn his kudos...because the next F.Beauchemin is out there...can they find him?
huh?

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 01:21 PM
  #45
RR
Moderator
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
stack the first 3 dman pairs instead of the fwd lines

jovo-z are the default top duo

Aucoin needs a good skater to partner w/....maybe yandle maybe not

and the 3rd pairing is going to need more than lepisto /vandermeer etc to save it...make a significant trade w/ a team stacked on defense like colorado.....I don't know for what exactly but the focus has to be on getting a complete effort from all of the players on the fwd lines.... and also getting a solid top pair calibre defender through trade...the team is so stacked that to waste a year to just "develop" the blueline is silly when they've got 3 30+yr old dmen and a decent corps of 20-30 goal capable fwds(probably the most in the league in fact) 1 more solid dman now before other teams start getting injuries on the blueline and drive up the asking price for a vet dman would be key

time for the GM to earn his kudos...because the next F.Beauchemin is out there...can they find him?
And Sauer is where in your lineup?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 02:21 PM
  #46
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
And Sauer is where in your lineup?
I guess he's a forward now.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
  #47
Alamo
Registered User
 
Alamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I guess he's a forward now.
Did you see his goal last season? He could definitely pass for a forward if he pulls more of those off.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:33 AM
  #48
RR
Moderator
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Being a total stats nerd, I ran through the Coyotes 2009-10 roster (with Tanguay ) to see what our G-A-PTS would like if each player performed to his average over his career. I figure older guys may slip a little, younger guys may step up a little, and injury fill ins will balance things out unless we get hit with a bunch of guys going down at the same time, and for prolonged periods.

Nothing scientific, but the numbers seem pretty reasonable to me. Not sure what others think, but these stats put us 15th-17th in league scoring compared with team stats from last season.

Player
Goals
Assists
Tot Pts
Tanguay
24
48
72
Doan
22
31
53
Mueller
19
29
48
Vrbata
20
24
44
Lombardi
16
25
41
Prucha
21
19
40
Upshall
16
21
37
Hanzal
11
26
37
Boedker
12
18
30
Fiddler
12
13
25
Tikhonov
11
11
22
Korpikoski
7
10
17
FORWARDS
191
275
466
Jovanovski
11
29
40
Aucoin
10
22
32
Yandle
6
24
30
Michalek
6
18
24
Vandermeer
5
15
20
Sauer
1
6
7
DEFENSEMEN
39
114
153
TOTALS
230
389
619

IDK, looks pretty attainable to me. Gives me a lot of hope if we do sign Tanguay that we're a legitimate bubble playoff team. Add the improved blueline that should mean better numbers for Bryz, and we close the gap between Goals For and Goals Against.

Fire away! Too optimistic? Not optimistic enough?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:47 AM
  #49
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Fire away! Too optimistic? Not optimistic enough?
You can never really tell how players are going to play year over year or how they play with new line mates, but averages being what they are it is still interesting to look over your analysis. I think it is realistic enough. I would expect to get more out of Doan and hopefully others, but factor in injuries, slumps, etc and you probably still come back to average.

Thanks for putting that together, it is at least food for thought.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:50 AM
  #50
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Speaking of Tanguay and food for thought, here is his scouting report from Sports Forcaster.

Quote:
Alex Tanguay

ASSETS Is extremely gifted, including speed, versatility, the ability to hold onto the puck for long stretches, great passing skills and tremendous one-on-one moves.
FLAWS Doesn't have a lot of strength to combat big NHL defenders in the corners. Doesn't shoot the puck enough, which can lead to mediocre goal-scoring totals.
CAREER POTENTIAL Top six winger.


Last edited by yakko: 07-28-2009 at 03:56 AM.
yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.