HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

View Poll Results: Will the Coyotes add another scorer?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 19 27.94%
Maybe a 10-15 goal guy 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I didnt think it was possible for my appreciation for GMDM to go any higher but if he lands Tanguay he will have exceeded all my expectations by a huge margin. Tanguay is a top-class player and a true left winger.. its a pet peeve of mine that the Coyotes have played guys out of position there. The balance he brings to the lines will be worth a lot more than just his points. He's also soft and cant carry a team in the way Doan or Jovo can but give the age and money being talked about, it's potentially an excellent signing, far beyond what I thought the Coyotes could attract.
It sure would be nice. That said, all these stupid little blogs/rumor sites/tweeters, ect., ect. all claimed the deal was done and would be announced today. Well, time for announcements for today is running out. It's already, what, 6:30pm in Toronto? If we don't hear anything out of Phoenix about Tanguay in the next couple of hours, as well as not hearing anything about Sykora or some other player out of Tampa in the next couple of hours, I am really going to start to expect to hear about Tanguay to Tampa tomorrow. It just seems to me that the only UFA that Tampa would be willing to buy out Prospal for is Tanguay. I don't think they'd have bought out Prospal unless they were 100% that Tanguay was on board. So, unless they've got a trade all worked out, I expect that Tanguay is soon to be a Bolt. Sucks.

Old
07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It sure would be nice. That said, all these stupid little blogs/rumor sites/tweeters, ect., ect. all claimed the deal was done and would be announced today. Well, time for announcements for today is running out. It's already, what, 6:30pm in Toronto? If we don't hear anything out of Phoenix about Tanguay in the next couple of hours, as well as not hearing anything about Sykora or some other player out of Tampa in the next couple of hours, I am really going to start to expect to hear about Tanguay to Tampa tomorrow. It just seems to me that the only UFA that Tampa would be willing to buy out Prospal for is Tanguay. I don't think they'd have bought out Prospal unless they were 100% that Tanguay was on board. So, unless they've got a trade all worked out, I expect that Tanguay is soon to be a Bolt. Sucks.
Thats the mind set to have The signing hinges on the NHL approving it and by all indications they have but they are waiting to announce it.

Old
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Thats the mind set to have The signing hinges on the NHL approving it and by all indications they have but they are waiting to announce it.
My mindset has nothing to do with whether or not it actually happens. The sources claiming that the "signing" hinges on NHL approval are all far from credible. There are "indications" that the NHL has approved some Tanguay to Phoenix contract? What indications? Some blogs and tweets? Why would they want to wait to announce anything, by the way? It's 7:45 in Toronto now. Or do you mean the Coyotes want to wait? Why would they want to do that?

Old
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
RR

From Eklund this afternoon:

Alex Tanguay- Well I guess he isn't a Coyote yet...This situation continues to get too much attention, but if you ask me it is down to Tampa and Phoenix, and I like Tampa...

Petr Sykora-May be the back up plan for Tampa or Phoenix. Although the Flyers are showing some interest along with NJ, Montreal, Vancouver and Minnesota. He scores.

Dennis Seidenberg-Had a great year and a steady playoffs. Wants a lot right now, but I think it comes down to Phoenix or Montreal. He is not staying in Carolina.

Manny Malhotra-Not a huge upside, but a definite addition to your 3rd or 4th line...The Isles have pursued this UFA as have the Yotes and the Blues.

Get your bets in.

Old
07-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post

Alex Tanguay- Well I guess he isn't a Coyote yet...This situation continues to get too much attention, but if you ask me it is down to Tampa and Phoenix, and I like Tampa...

Petr Sykora-May be the back up plan for Tampa or Phoenix. Although the Flyers are showing some interest along with NJ, Montreal, Vancouver and Minnesota. He scores.

Dennis Seidenberg-Had a great year and a steady playoffs. Wants a lot right now, but I think it comes down to Phoenix or Montreal. He is not staying in Carolina.

Manny Malhotra-Not a huge upside, but a definite addition to your 3rd or 4th line...The Isles have pursued this UFA as have the Yotes and the Blues.

Get your bets in.
Wow! Were gonna have a huge roster!

Old
07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
hbk

I've always found that Eklund has never had a good "feel" for what's going on with Phoenix behind the scenes. When Pang was a contributor it seemed better but now we seem to be randomly thrown in as an afterthought. I mean the Phoenix / Tanguay courtship has been going on for weeks and when Eklund piped up about "Phoenix just popped up in the Tanguay discussions" last week I just about fell out of my chair. I mean even Maloney admitted they were in on it and Eklund missed it. I guess why use an actual GM as a source.

Old
07-28-2009, 08:10 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I've always found that Eklund has never had a good "feel" for what's going on with Phoenix behind the scenes. When Pang was a contributor it seemed better but now we seem to be randomly thrown in as an afterthought. I mean the Phoenix / Tanguay courtship has been going on for weeks and when Eklund piped up about "Phoenix just popped up in the Tanguay discussions" last week I just about fell out of my chair. I mean even Maloney admitted they were in on it and Eklund missed it. I guess why use an actual GM as a source.
Coyotes don't generate hits to his site, so we are an afterthought. It's for the best, really. Beats having him make **** up about us, 24/7, like the Canadian teams have to deal with.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
kingbrutis

Yea, no doubt. If you read anything from TSN, CBC or the Globe that has Canadian reactions, they are like, Phoenix sucks, they lost 60 mil last year. They are fans and that what they have been told. Good little boys. If they did any research, they would have seen how the money was being taken from one business to another, all at a great tax benefit. I have owned several businesses and that's what you do. That's why you pay accountants alot of money. I hope he comes, but if he doesn't, that's alright as long as we sign Upshall. That's a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Coyotes don't generate hits to his site, so we are an afterthought. It's for the best, really. Beats having him make **** up about us, 24/7, like the Canadian teams have to deal with.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post

Get your bets in.
If eklund had a stitch of hockey knowledge he would know that the Coyotes have essentially filled the roles that Malhotra (Fidler), Seidenberg (Aucoin) and Sykora (we have about 6 RWs) would play.

I could see Prospal figuring in here if Tanguay isn't signed. Vinnie's still a pretty effective player.

Old
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If eklund had a stitch of hockey knowledge he would know that the Coyotes have essentially filled the role that Seidenberg (Aucoin) would play.
Maybe the Seids deal is contingent on one of the countless Jovo to _____________ (insert any team name here) Eklund rumours materializing...

Old
07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Enough already...

Could someone pm me when Tanguay signs with someone? I would appreciate it.

Until then, I'm on strike.

see you all later.

Old
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

He'll be back...

Old
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
He'll be back...
LOL

I really hope he signs...somewhere, so we can all move on and sign X player if we don't get Tangs

Old
07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
LOL

I really hope he signs...somewhere, so we can all move on and sign Nedved, I mean Prospal, if we don't get Tangs
Fixed.

Old
07-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Ovens

I'd take Zherdev who is sure to be available post arbitration,a better player than all the other names being floated, and cap space is a not a concern providing GMDM has the budget.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Donny and Sather have been talking another deal!

Old
07-29-2009, 02:33 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
I'd take Zherdev who is sure to be available post arbitration,a better player than all the other names being floated, and cap space is a not a concern providing GMDM has the budget.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Donny and Sather have been talking another deal!
My vote's in for Zherdev as well. If he could be had for 3.5/3yrs or somewhere around there - i'd want him more than a guy like prospal or anyone else that's out there (Sykora, etc.). He would be a nice compliment to our core of young players.

Old
07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Here's something interesting:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/ho...96986-sun.html
Quote:
OTTAWA -- Are NHL teams hogtied or high on the hog when it comes to free agents?

While most of the big-name signings took place on July 1, there's been no rush to employ the so-called second tier of free agents.

Conspiracy? Economic woes?

It depends on who you talk to.

A high-profile agent told Sun Media yesterday that the current environment for free agents is "all being orchestrated" by the NHL and the plan all along was to make those players sit in order to see if they're willing to sign for less money.

Four weeks into free agency, players like Alex Tanguay, Petr Sykora, Manny Fernandez, Marcus Nilson, Dennis Seidenberg, Dominic Moore, Rhett Warrener, Miroslav Satan, Mathieu Schneider, Robert Lang and Brendan Shanahan have yet to sign.

leading to:
Quote:
Tanguay has had interest from the Oilers, Panthers, Islanders and Lightning. The indications are the best offer he's received has been for $1.2 million a season.

Old
07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

BRUCE GARRIOCH. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Also, wouldn't that be illegal? And how in the world are you going to get thirty NHL teams to agree to something like that. Oh, and haven't some so-called second tier guys already signed? I mean, what would you call Adrian Aucoin? How about Derek Morris in Boston? "Second tier", and already signed.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

That sounds like complete BS to me. No way the highest offer to Tanguay is 1.2 million unless it's for like 15 years.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

I actually found this somewhat comforting barring the title

Quote:
July 29, 2009 | 9:51am ET

Lightning pursuing Tanguay, Sykora

TheFourthPeriod.com

With some additional salary cap space to play with, the Lightning could be going after the likes of unrestricted free agents Alex Tanguay or Petr Sykora, reports the Tampa Tribune.

Yesterday, the Lightning bought out left wing Vaclav Prospal for the purpose of freeing up cap space to pursue another top-six forward.

"After fully evaluating our roster and our position in the salary cap world, we arrived at the decision to buy out Vaclav Prospal from his contract," Lightning GM Brian Lawton told the Tribune. "We appreciate Vinny's service to the Lightning, but in the best interest of the team, we believe a difficult decision needed to be made in this case and we are going to move ahead without him."

The move came as a surprise to both Prospal and his agent, Ritch Winter, considering he signed a four-year contract with the team last summer.

Lawton said he'll explore all his options, including the trade route if the right deal pops up.

"I'd like to add another top-six forward, one that adds a little different chemistry, a little more speed," Lawton told the St. Petersburg Times. "We want to play a more up-tempo game. And we really want guys that care."

In an attempt to shed more salary, the Times suggests the Bolts could deal defenseman Lukas Krajicek and his $1.475 million salary.

Files from: Tampa Tribune and St. Petersburg Times

From the Editor: Visit David Pagnotta's Twitter page for frequent comments and updates.
I just think that if he is looking for a player via trade, that he may not be that interested in Tanguay, but hey, i could be completely wrong.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

We'll hasn't DM pretty much said the same thing? I doubt he would rule out a trade either to get a scorer. It's just a matter of who blinks first I think.

Old
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Let's just all try and forget the whole Tanguay supposedly signed thing and just remember tat we are still considered head of the pack when it comes to signing him. Tampa may be clearing up space for him, yes, but they have been rumored to Sykora. I'm hoping the "talks" that Don Maloney has had with his agent will heat up, if or after the team is sold on August 5th

Old
07-29-2009, 11:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Maybe they just wanted to get the Upshall thing taken care of so that they know exactly what they have to work with before they sign Tanguay. Maybe the league told them that they wouldn't approve the Tanguay signing until all the team's other ducks were in a row, as far as RFAs, ect. So, maybe now that Upshall is signed, the league will approve the Tanguay contract, and the signing will be announced tomorrow. HAHA, if that's not wishfull thinking, I don't know what is!

Old
07-30-2009, 02:19 AM
gorsk11

Fly on the Wall

So I believe it was question #28 or #29 today from the BOG to Mr. Reinsdorf. General Manager Don Maloney called - they just signed Mr Upshall for 1 Year, $1.5 Mil
They are planning on signing Mr. Tanguay at 4.0-4.5 Mil - bringing the salary budget to close to 44 Mil....Theoretically speaking only, how do you feel about that.

JR Response - I'd be ok with that.....

Same question to other possible group - same response....

Look for announcement tomorrow.

Edit: I need to protect my "source" who prefers anonymity

Old
07-30-2009, 03:24 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post
So I believe it was question #28 or #29 today from the BOG to Mr. Reinsdorf. General Manager Don Maloney called - they just signed Mr Upshall for 1 Year, $1.5 Mil
They are planning on signing Mr. Tanguay at 4.0-4.5 Mil - bringing the salary budget to close to 44 Mil....Theoretically speaking only, how do you feel about that.

JR Response - I'd be ok with that.....

Same question to other possible group - same response....

Look for announcement tomorrow.

Edit: I need to protect my "source" who prefers anonymity
I wish I could, but remember what happened the last time we were told to wait for confirmation the next day. I'm not getting my hopes up. That way I won't be as disappointed if it doesn't happen tomorrow.

I believe it when I see it.

Closed Thread