HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

View Poll Results: Will the Coyotes add another scorer?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 19 27.94%
Maybe a 10-15 goal guy 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2009, 07:13 AM
doaner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I wish I could, but remember what happened the last time we were told to wait for confirmation the next day. I'm not getting my hopes up. That way I won't be as disappointed if it doesn't happen tomorrow.

I believe it when I see it.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don't believe anything til it's a done deal

Old
07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Why is it so frickin' hard to sign this particular player. My lord.

Old
07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Why is it so frickin' hard to sign this particular player. My lord.
Is that really a difficult thing to understand given the circumstances?

Old
07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post
So I believe it was question #28 or #29 today from the BOG to Mr. Reinsdorf. General Manager Don Maloney called - they just signed Mr Upshall for 1 Year, $1.5 Mil
They are planning on signing Mr. Tanguay at 4.0-4.5 Mil - bringing the salary budget to close to 44 Mil....Theoretically speaking only, how do you feel about that.

JR Response - I'd be ok with that.....

Same question to other possible group - same response....

Look for announcement tomorrow.

Edit: I need to protect my "source" who prefers anonymity
Are you serious or was this a joke? can't tell

Old
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

New rumors that Tanguay is talking to the Guins, possibly about a cheap one-year deal. Gives him a shot at the cup, and if the Guins waive Dupuis, they can afford to give Tanguay something along the lines of 2-3 million. Uh oh.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668420

Old
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
New rumors that Tanguay is talking to the Guins, possibly about a cheap one-year deal. Gives him a shot at the cup, and if the Guins waive Dupuis, they can afford to give Tanguay something along the lines of 2-3 million. Uh oh.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668420
If he is making last ditch efforts to avoid being stuck on the Coyotes, then I don't want a player like that here. It's not as if he is some upstanding citizen that coaches and managers alike welcome onto their roster.

Old
07-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

What the hell is a "Guin"?

Old
07-30-2009, 06:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
I used to have this fat friend with a long pointy nose who always walked with his hands at his sides. He was kind of the guy in the group of friends that all of the other friends sort of picked on, you know the guy, all groups of friends have that one guy. Anyway, he was known as "Penguin" early on in eigth grade, which eventually just evolved into "Guin", which he is still known as today, at age twenty five.

Old
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
T think he meant Bill Guerin

Old
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
T think he meant Bill Guerin
I hate that guy as much as any hockey player in the game today.

Old
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
I used to have this fat friend with a long pointy nose who always walked with his hands at his sides. He was kind of the guy in the group of friends that all of the other friends sort of picked on, you know the guy, all groups of friends have that one guy. Anyway, he was known as "Penguin" early on in eigth grade, which eventually just evolved into "Guin", which he is still known as today, at age twenty five.
Nice story.

Anyway, I'm with that nicve X...X character. If Tanguay is really busting his hump trying to find any alternative other than Phoenix, let him go elsewhere. If he ends up signing with the Coyotes, great, I think his skill set fits well. But he'd better play like he wants to be there.

Old
07-30-2009, 06:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Nice story.
It ain't easy bein' rteezy. sorry.

Old
07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Nice story.

Anyway, I'm with that nicve X...X character. If Tanguay is really busting his hump trying to find any alternative other than Phoenix, let him go elsewhere. If he ends up signing with the Coyotes, great, I think his skill set fits well. But he'd better play like he wants to be there.
Add me to that list as well. I'd rather them sign a player who relishes the challenge of putting the Yotes on the map, not a player who is resigned to coming here like it's hockey purgatory.

Old
07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If he can put up 70pts on a one year, I don't really care if he's playing for himself. Not if he's using his linemates to improve his own numbers, that is. Maybe he's more interested in earning a huge pay day next summer, than anything else, but if it leads to Doan and Mueller having career years, I'm all for it.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
gorsk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
Are you serious or was this a joke? can't tell
It was a joke...See title of post - fly on the wall....my source... Sorry...

Although - I was hoping thats what had actually happened. With the rumor that we were just getting an NHL approval and had a deal in place...

I still want him even if this is his last preference...doesn't mean he can't produce...We need a talent his caliber....

Old
07-30-2009, 08:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

...and it's not like Olli, at all, really, if that's where these worries are coming from. Not in my opinion, anyway. Olli didn't choose to come to Phoenix. We aren't trading Ballard for Tanguay. Besides, apart from the attitude, Olli's style of play was just a bad fit. I don't think that's the case with Tanguay. If the only reason he chooses to come here is because he knows for a fact that he'll get as much five on five time as any other forward on the team, and as much power play time as any other forward on the team, that's okay. If knowing this, and the talent level of Doan and some of the younger guys, he think he can inflate his stats, and thus end up with a huge pay day, next summer, after he ditches us, I'm totally fine with that. We need some stat inflation. Big time. We don't necesarily need Alex Tanguay to be a part of our long-term future. One good year would be awesome, though.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.

Quote:
...and it's not like Olli, at all, really, if that's where these worries are coming from. Not in my opinion, anyway. Olli didn't choose to come to Phoenix. We aren't trading Ballard for Tanguay. Besides, apart from the attitude, Olli's style of play was just a bad fit. I don't think that's the case with Tanguay. If the only reason he chooses to come here is because he knows for a fact that he'll get as much five on five time as any other forward on the team, and as much power play time as any other forward on the team, that's okay. If knowing this, and the talent level of Doan and some of the younger guys, he think he can inflate his stats, and thus end up with a huge pay day, next summer, after he ditches us, I'm totally fine with that. We need some stat inflation. Big time. We don't necesarily need Alex Tanguay to be a part of our long-term future. One good year would be awesome, though.
We haven't had "one good year" from a high end forward outside of Doan in a long long time. Initially when the FA class started to dwindle I was hoping he would do just that for us. Put up 80 or so points in a healthy season and then go somewhere else and get paid.

If he really has an issue playing here then I'd just let it go. All we are doing is speculating though. His agent may just be trying to get the most money at this point playing 2-3 clubs off each other. I can't blame him for that.

Old
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

What would you guys think about trading for Kessel? Apparently their looking for a young player, a prospect, and a 1st. I was thinking of something along the lines of Porter, Ross, and Calgary's 1st.

Old
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
PhoPhan

I could swallow that deal, but given the circumstances, I think it could be done swapping out Porter for Winnik or Ross for Staal or something like that. The Calgary first rounder seems like a lock, though.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Gwyddbwyll

None of Porter, Ross or Calgary's 1st is going to make them bite as none of them are likely to make Kessel look expendable. I'd guess a bit more quality has to go back like perhaps Porter, Goncharov and Phx's 1st.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Zherdev's arbitration ruling has come down at $3.9M. Since Maloney/Gretzky and Sather have a history of trading, what would you guys think would be reasonable to send to the NYR for Zherdev?

Old
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Kaizen

Let's wait and see if Slats declines the arbitrated contract and turns Zherdev loose.

Old
08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Zherdev's arbitration ruling has come down at $3.9M. Since Maloney/Gretzky and Sather have a history of trading, what would you guys think would be reasonable to send to the NYR for Zherdev?
If I had to guess I am sure Sather will be looking for a roster player or a high pick. The person will definitely have to be a forward prospect considering the logjam the Rangers have on the blue line in their prospect pipeline at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Staal was a player mentioned in the talks but even players like Tikhonov, Porter, Upshall, Hanzal, and Mueller would be discussed. It may not sound pretty but Sather has been hosing people when it comes to trades this summer and it wouldn't be any different here. The Yotes would probably give something up they would not be comfortable doing so otherwise.

Old
08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
PhoPhan

Then Sather can take a walk. If no one pays up, Zherdev is a free agent. I don't want a player like that playing in Phoenix unless he chose to be there, anyway. I don't think I'd touch him.

Old
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
If I had to guess I am sure Sather will be looking for a roster player or a high pick. The person will definitely have to be a forward prospect considering the logjam the Rangers have on the blue line in their prospect pipeline at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Staal was a player mentioned in the talks but even players like Tikhonov, Porter, Upshall, Hanzal, and Mueller would be discussed. It may not sound pretty but Sather has been hosing people when it comes to trades this summer and it wouldn't be any different here. The Yotes would probably give something up they would not be comfortable doing so otherwise.
If that's the case then Maloney won't do it. If he's proven anything over his tenure with the Yotes it's that he's pretty stingy on the trade side of things. In hindsight you could point to the Olli/Ballard trade and say he gave up too much, but at the time pretty much everyone was excited about getting Olli while realizing you have to give up something to get something.

Closed Thread