HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

View Poll Results: Will the Coyotes add another scorer?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 19 27.94%
Maybe a 10-15 goal guy 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2009, 07:13 AM
  #101
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I wish I could, but remember what happened the last time we were told to wait for confirmation the next day. I'm not getting my hopes up. That way I won't be as disappointed if it doesn't happen tomorrow.

I believe it when I see it.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don't believe anything til it's a done deal

doaner is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
  #102
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris
 
TeamTippett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phx
Country: United States
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
Why is it so frickin' hard to sign this particular player. My lord.

TeamTippett is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
  #103
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Why is it so frickin' hard to sign this particular player. My lord.
Is that really a difficult thing to understand given the circumstances?

yakko is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
  #104
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post
So I believe it was question #28 or #29 today from the BOG to Mr. Reinsdorf. General Manager Don Maloney called - they just signed Mr Upshall for 1 Year, $1.5 Mil
They are planning on signing Mr. Tanguay at 4.0-4.5 Mil - bringing the salary budget to close to 44 Mil....Theoretically speaking only, how do you feel about that.

JR Response - I'd be ok with that.....

Same question to other possible group - same response....


Look for announcement tomorrow.

Edit: I need to protect my "source" who prefers anonymity
Are you serious or was this a joke? can't tell

Rabbit is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
  #105
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,061
vCash: 500
New rumors that Tanguay is talking to the Guins, possibly about a cheap one-year deal. Gives him a shot at the cup, and if the Guins waive Dupuis, they can afford to give Tanguay something along the lines of 2-3 million. Uh oh.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668420

rt is online now  
Old
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
  #106
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 28,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
New rumors that Tanguay is talking to the Guins, possibly about a cheap one-year deal. Gives him a shot at the cup, and if the Guins waive Dupuis, they can afford to give Tanguay something along the lines of 2-3 million. Uh oh.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668420
If he is making last ditch efforts to avoid being stuck on the Coyotes, then I don't want a player like that here. It's not as if he is some upstanding citizen that coaches and managers alike welcome onto their roster.

XX is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 06:08 PM
  #107
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes
 
Alberta Yote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your kitchen
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,707
vCash: 500
What the hell is a "Guin"?

Alberta Yote is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 06:20 PM
  #108
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
What the hell is a "Guin"?
I used to have this fat friend with a long pointy nose who always walked with his hands at his sides. He was kind of the guy in the group of friends that all of the other friends sort of picked on, you know the guy, all groups of friends have that one guy. Anyway, he was known as "Penguin" early on in eigth grade, which eventually just evolved into "Guin", which he is still known as today, at age twenty five.

rt is online now  
Old
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
  #109
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris
 
TeamTippett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phx
Country: United States
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
What the hell is a "Guin"?
T think he meant Bill Guerin

TeamTippett is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
  #110
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
T think he meant Bill Guerin
I hate that guy as much as any hockey player in the game today.

rt is online now  
Old
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
  #111
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes
 
Alberta Yote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your kitchen
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I used to have this fat friend with a long pointy nose who always walked with his hands at his sides. He was kind of the guy in the group of friends that all of the other friends sort of picked on, you know the guy, all groups of friends have that one guy. Anyway, he was known as "Penguin" early on in eigth grade, which eventually just evolved into "Guin", which he is still known as today, at age twenty five.
Nice story.

Anyway, I'm with that nicve X...X character. If Tanguay is really busting his hump trying to find any alternative other than Phoenix, let him go elsewhere. If he ends up signing with the Coyotes, great, I think his skill set fits well. But he'd better play like he wants to be there.

Alberta Yote is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 06:37 PM
  #112
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Nice story.
It ain't easy bein' rteezy. sorry.

rt is online now  
Old
07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
  #113
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Nice story.

Anyway, I'm with that nicve X...X character. If Tanguay is really busting his hump trying to find any alternative other than Phoenix, let him go elsewhere. If he ends up signing with the Coyotes, great, I think his skill set fits well. But he'd better play like he wants to be there.
Add me to that list as well. I'd rather them sign a player who relishes the challenge of putting the Yotes on the map, not a player who is resigned to coming here like it's hockey purgatory.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
  #114
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,061
vCash: 500
If he can put up 70pts on a one year, I don't really care if he's playing for himself. Not if he's using his linemates to improve his own numbers, that is. Maybe he's more interested in earning a huge pay day next summer, than anything else, but if it leads to Doan and Mueller having career years, I'm all for it.

rt is online now  
Old
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
  #115
gorsk11
Registered User
 
gorsk11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
Are you serious or was this a joke? can't tell
It was a joke...See title of post - fly on the wall....my source... Sorry...

Although - I was hoping thats what had actually happened. With the rumor that we were just getting an NHL approval and had a deal in place...

I still want him even if this is his last preference...doesn't mean he can't produce...We need a talent his caliber....

gorsk11 is offline  
Old
07-30-2009, 08:09 PM
  #116
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,061
vCash: 500
...and it's not like Olli, at all, really, if that's where these worries are coming from. Not in my opinion, anyway. Olli didn't choose to come to Phoenix. We aren't trading Ballard for Tanguay. Besides, apart from the attitude, Olli's style of play was just a bad fit. I don't think that's the case with Tanguay. If the only reason he chooses to come here is because he knows for a fact that he'll get as much five on five time as any other forward on the team, and as much power play time as any other forward on the team, that's okay. If knowing this, and the talent level of Doan and some of the younger guys, he think he can inflate his stats, and thus end up with a huge pay day, next summer, after he ditches us, I'm totally fine with that. We need some stat inflation. Big time. We don't necesarily need Alex Tanguay to be a part of our long-term future. One good year would be awesome, though.

rt is online now  
Old
07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
  #117
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
...and it's not like Olli, at all, really, if that's where these worries are coming from. Not in my opinion, anyway. Olli didn't choose to come to Phoenix. We aren't trading Ballard for Tanguay. Besides, apart from the attitude, Olli's style of play was just a bad fit. I don't think that's the case with Tanguay. If the only reason he chooses to come here is because he knows for a fact that he'll get as much five on five time as any other forward on the team, and as much power play time as any other forward on the team, that's okay. If knowing this, and the talent level of Doan and some of the younger guys, he think he can inflate his stats, and thus end up with a huge pay day, next summer, after he ditches us, I'm totally fine with that. We need some stat inflation. Big time. We don't necesarily need Alex Tanguay to be a part of our long-term future. One good year would be awesome, though.
We haven't had "one good year" from a high end forward outside of Doan in a long long time. Initially when the FA class started to dwindle I was hoping he would do just that for us. Put up 80 or so points in a healthy season and then go somewhere else and get paid.

If he really has an issue playing here then I'd just let it go. All we are doing is speculating though. His agent may just be trying to get the most money at this point playing 2-3 clubs off each other. I can't blame him for that.

SniperHF is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
  #118
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful
 
Blubba Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
What would you guys think about trading for Kessel? Apparently their looking for a young player, a prospect, and a 1st. I was thinking of something along the lines of Porter, Ross, and Calgary's 1st.

Blubba Jenkins is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
  #119
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
I could swallow that deal, but given the circumstances, I think it could be done swapping out Porter for Winnik or Ross for Staal or something like that. The Calgary first rounder seems like a lock, though.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
  #120
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
None of Porter, Ross or Calgary's 1st is going to make them bite as none of them are likely to make Kessel look expendable. I'd guess a bit more quality has to go back like perhaps Porter, Goncharov and Phx's 1st.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
  #121
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Zherdev's arbitration ruling has come down at $3.9M. Since Maloney/Gretzky and Sather have a history of trading, what would you guys think would be reasonable to send to the NYR for Zherdev?

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
  #122
Kaizen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Prince George B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Let's wait and see if Slats declines the arbitrated contract and turns Zherdev loose.

Kaizen is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
  #123
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Zherdev's arbitration ruling has come down at $3.9M. Since Maloney/Gretzky and Sather have a history of trading, what would you guys think would be reasonable to send to the NYR for Zherdev?
If I had to guess I am sure Sather will be looking for a roster player or a high pick. The person will definitely have to be a forward prospect considering the logjam the Rangers have on the blue line in their prospect pipeline at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Staal was a player mentioned in the talks but even players like Tikhonov, Porter, Upshall, Hanzal, and Mueller would be discussed. It may not sound pretty but Sather has been hosing people when it comes to trades this summer and it wouldn't be any different here. The Yotes would probably give something up they would not be comfortable doing so otherwise.

FutureGM97 is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
  #124
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Then Sather can take a walk. If no one pays up, Zherdev is a free agent. I don't want a player like that playing in Phoenix unless he chose to be there, anyway. I don't think I'd touch him.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
  #125
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ
 
GophersGoneWild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Plymouth, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
If I had to guess I am sure Sather will be looking for a roster player or a high pick. The person will definitely have to be a forward prospect considering the logjam the Rangers have on the blue line in their prospect pipeline at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Staal was a player mentioned in the talks but even players like Tikhonov, Porter, Upshall, Hanzal, and Mueller would be discussed. It may not sound pretty but Sather has been hosing people when it comes to trades this summer and it wouldn't be any different here. The Yotes would probably give something up they would not be comfortable doing so otherwise.
If that's the case then Maloney won't do it. If he's proven anything over his tenure with the Yotes it's that he's pretty stingy on the trade side of things. In hindsight you could point to the Olli/Ballard trade and say he gave up too much, but at the time pretty much everyone was excited about getting Olli while realizing you have to give up something to get something.

GophersGoneWild is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.