HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

View Poll Results: Will the Coyotes add another scorer?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 19 27.94%
Maybe a 10-15 goal guy 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2009, 03:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
The Coyotes like one year deals. So that's the main reason I might see them have some interest, here. Zherdev is young enough that I think he'll be an RFA, again, next season, too. Not that the difference between RFA and UFA is all that significant with a guy like him. Anyway, I'm not sure whether the Rangers will match and look to trade him, running the risk of not being able to move him, or maybe simply walk away and let him become a UFA. I don't imagine it would take a whole lot to acquire him as the Rangers clearly don't want to hang on to him. Just as the Lightning didn't want Vrbata. Of course, Zherdev is clearly seen as the more valuable player of the two. Then again, his cap hit is a million dollars higher. So, I suppose his trade value would be somewhere between Fedor Tyutin(comparable to Michalek's value, probably) and Todd Fedoruk. Probably much closer to the Fedoruk end than the Tyutin end, of that spectrum, at this point.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Then Sather can take a walk. If no one pays up, Zherdev is a free agent. I don't want a player like that playing in Phoenix unless he chose to be there, anyway. I don't think I'd touch him.
I'd be thrilled to add him, if the price were right. Then again, I'm a huge sucker for flash. And for one year deals.

Upshall-Lombardi-Zherdev could work out nicely. Extremely fast, and I think a good mix of skillsets.

I don't know, I think gaining the cap-space is going to be huge enough for the Rangers. Maybe deal them a second rounder, or something, too. That way they free up the space, can maybe sign an Afinogenov, or somebody, for half the price of Zherdev, and have an extra second rounder, and some extra cap space to work with at the deadline. Who knows if that's enough? If it's not, I'd probably just look elsewhere, I suppose.

Old
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The Coyotes like one year deals. So that's the main reason I might see them have some interest, here. Zherdev is young enough that I think he'll be an RFA, again, next season, too. Not that the difference between RFA and UFA is all that significant with a guy like him. Anyway, I'm not sure whether the Rangers will match and look to trade him, running the risk of not being able to move him, or maybe simply walk away and let him become a UFA. I don't imagine it would take a whole lot to acquire him as the Rangers clearly don't want to hang on to him. Just as the Lightning didn't want Vrbata. Of course, Zherdev is clearly seen as the more valuable player of the two. Then again, his cap hit is a million dollars higher. So, I suppose his trade value would be somewhere between Fedor Tyutin(comparable to Michalek's value, probably) and Todd Fedoruk. Probably much closer to the Fedoruk end than the Tyutin end, of that spectrum, at this point.
btw, checking up on Zherdev, looks like he's one year away from UFA. Made the NHL at 18 years old, has 5 seasons in the NHL, plus a year credit for the lockout. So 09-10 will be his 7th, making him a group 3 UFA at the age of 25.

Old
08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
doaner

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I have given up hope on lading Tanguay. This is dragging out way to long. Next topic!

Old
08-03-2009, 04:07 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Something I just noticed about Zherdev, and the Rangers. The Rangers only scored 200 goals, last season. That's good for twenty eighth out of thirty, in the NHL. Only the Islanders and Avalanche had fewer goals. They were also fourteenth out of sixteen playoff teams in goals per game during the post-season.

Old
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Something I just noticed about Zherdev, and the Rangers. The Rangers only scored 200 goals, last season. That's good for twenty eighth out of thirty, in the NHL. Only the Islanders and Avalanche had fewer goals. They were also fourteenth out of sixteen playoff teams in goals per game during the post-season.
I'm surprised you're just now noticing that. It's one of the big reasons I get frustrated with Maloney's constant trading with New York. I would love to see some offense here but they continue to make trades with one of the few teams that is actually worse offensively than the Yotes.

Old
08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'm surprised you're just now noticing that. It's one of the big reasons I get frustrated with Maloney's constant trading with New York. I would love to see some offense here but they continue to make trades with one of the few teams that is actually worse offensively than the Yotes.
I suppose I never noticed because they play in the other conference and have made the playoffs the last couple of years. Anymore, I barely keep up with the NHL outside of Phoenix.

Old
08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Ominous

Send a message via AIM to Ominous
Quote:
I'd be thrilled to add him, if the price were right. Then again, I'm a huge sucker for flash. And for one year deals.

Upshall-Lombardi-Zherdev could work out nicely. Extremely fast, and I think a good mix of skillsets.

I don't know, I think gaining the cap-space is going to be huge enough for the Rangers. Maybe deal them a second rounder, or something, too. That way they free up the space, can maybe sign an Afinogenov, or somebody, for half the price of Zherdev, and have an extra second rounder, and some extra cap space to work with at the deadline. Who knows if that's enough? If it's not, I'd probably just look elsewhere, I suppose.
So you don't think Upshall - Lombardi - Prucha would be as good as if Zherdev was there instead? Is it really worth a very small upgrade (imo)?

Old
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
So you don't think Upshall - Lombardi - Prucha would be as good as if Zherdev was there instead? Is it really worth a very small upgrade (imo)?
It's hard telling how Zherdev would play here but all things being equal, I'd say Zherdev is by far the most talented player of those 3 and probably would be the most talented player on the entire roster save for maybe Doan. His upside is through the roof and while I'm not going to claim he'll do it, I don't think anyone would be that surprised if he turned into a 40 goal scorer. Most would think he was just finally fulfilling his potential.

Old
08-03-2009, 01:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
Are you saying that you think Zherdev is a very small upgrade on Prucha? There is a reason that an independant arbitrator awarded Zherdev 3.9 million dollars, while Petr Prucha settled for 1.1 million. There is reason that Zherdev's worth was set at three and a half times more than Prucha's.

Prucha is a nice little cheap gamble. He's got an outside shot of potting you twenty goals and maybe fifteen assists. Even if he can't get there, he's still a nice little energy player, that the guys love because of his hustle. People have been disappointed in Zherdev for putting up twenty five goals and thirty five assists the past couple of seasons. People are frustrated because he could so easily do so much more. We haven't got that kind of production out of anyone not named Doan in a long, long time. Zherdev is doing that while sleepwalking through half of his games, and playing for coaches like Hitchcock and Tortorella, guys who's teams have managed to score even less than ours in recent seasons. Zherdev is also a gamble. Much like Prucha, but the risk versus return isn't anywhere near the same league. Prucha might turn into a top six forward. Zherdev might turn into a fourty goal scorer. Big difference.

Yes, it's a gamble, but if it doesn't cost a whole lot, in terms of assets, four million bucks is probably worth the shot. Even Tanguay isn't without his risks, bum shoulder, and all. Zherdev to Phoenix probably isn't happening. He's got the same kinds of question marks as Lisin did, and we shipped Lisin out for a penalty killer. I'd just love to see what Zherdev could do if given a little more freedom, offensively. He and Lombardi are both amazing skaters. Lombardi is a good playmaker and is fantastic defensively. Upshall is a very good skater, is very good defensively, and likes to go hard to the net. I think both guys could potentially compliment Zherdev very nicely, even if he doesn't quite fit the mold of the hard-working, two-way, identity Maloney has been trying to build. Hell, neither does Peter Mueller. I think we need a mix of players. Someone has got to score the goals, and we've only got one Shane Doan.

Old
08-03-2009, 01:56 PM
hbk

Zherdev is a talent player with huge upside but he's worn out his welcome in 2 cities already and when you hear former GM McLean out of Columbus speak with such disdain about this kid you have to ask yourself whether or not you want this kid as part of your organization.

Old
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Gwyddbwyll

We were warned about Kiel McLeod.. I'll take this warning!

Old
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Wasn't Zherdev on a line with Aaron Voros part of last season? No one had good numbers on the Rangers, so considering that 58 points looks pretty good. I think with maturity comes a better work ethic, and by all accounts he showed flashes of that (early) last season. I think it's certainly worth taking a flyer on him. A worst case scenario would see us benefit from his 58 points and then let him walk after the season. This, of course, is based on a one-year deal, not some outlandish 16-year deal.

Old
08-04-2009, 03:51 PM
AZCOYOT

Can we please sign someone with character AND talent.. I have no interest in Zherdev

Old
08-04-2009, 03:56 PM
avco

The following is a quote from Petr Prucha in an article dated 13 March 2009 pertaining to Zherdev:

Favorite Players To Watch: "(Pavel) Datsyuk. I like Marian Hossa, too. (Nikolai) Zherdev, too, is pretty nice to watch on the ice. I like those guys who can handle the puck really well."

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/24...tr-Prucha.html

Old
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by avco View Post
The following is a quote from Petr Prucha in an article dated 13 March 2009 pertaining to Zherdev:

Favorite Players To Watch: "(Pavel) Datsyuk. I like Marian Hossa, too. (Nikolai) Zherdev, too, is pretty nice to watch on the ice. I like those guys who can handle the puck really well."

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/24...tr-Prucha.html
Handle the puck really well? Yeah, I would say so...

...also check out the score and the time left in the game.

Plus, if we pick up Zherdev, we won't have to pick up that enforcer anymore...

...think of the savings!

Last edited by rt: 08-04-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
Can we please sign someone with character AND talent.. I have no interest in Zherdev
Who is that? The "Free Agent Frenzy" is over. The best of the class is gone and anyone left is going to have risks and flaws. Hell, even the top of the class obviously had risks and flaws.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:11 PM
YotesFan

Sign Zherdev, Maloney.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Who is that? The "Free Agent Frenzy" is over. The best of the class is gone and anyone left is going to have risks and flaws. Hell, even the top of the class obviously had risks and flaws.
True, I just wish somehow we'd get more Upshall, less Zherdev. Guys who have the potential to get points, and go all out for the team.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
PhoPhan

I think you have "the Phoenix Coyotes" confused with "every hockey team in every league, everywhere."

Old
08-04-2009, 04:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If we do end up signing Zherdev, I think people should take it as a good sign that Maloney thought enough of the player to do so. Odds are his opinions would be based on things that guys like Sather and Renney had to say about him. I seriously doubt that Maloney would persue the kid if given the thumbs down by either of the two. If both give him the green light, I think that's a very good sign that there is more to Zherdev than what fans percieve. Just a thought.

As far as possible UFA help goes, and not counting trade possibilities I guess I'd rank them like this...
1. Tanguay
2. Zherdev
3. Prospal <---on a one year, less than two mil.
4. Comrie <---on a one year, less than two mil.
5. Maybe Sykora, but I'd probably much rather look at trades, at this point.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I would rather go balls out for Tanguay than Zherdev. Zherdev's passion and commitment has been questioned time and again. Just a personal opinion but I would rather have Tanguay at his price rather than Zherdev at 4.75 million which is what he wanted.

Old
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
If we do end up signing Zherdev, I think people should take it as a good sign that Maloney thought enough of the player to do so. Odds are his opinions would be based on things that guys like Sather and Renney had to say about him. I seriously doubt that Maloney would persue the kid if given the thumbs down by either of the two. If both give him the green light, I think that's a very good sign that there is more to Zherdev than what fans percieve. Just a thought.
Based on this article, unless he tries to pull the wool over Maloney's eyes, Renney won't be recommending him.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...699/story.html

Old
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Based on this article, unless he tries to pull the wool over Maloney's eyes, Renney won't be recommending him.
Which I really doubt he would. I think Maloney may have been the one who gave Renney his job(I know Sather was head coach and GM, at the time, but Rangers fans have always acted like Maloney was the Cheney to Sather's Bush, hehe, or the Hillary to Sather's Bill), while also not being the guy who fired him(which would've been Sather).

Old
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Which I really doubt he would. I think Maloney may have been the one who gave Renney his job(I know Sather was head coach and GM, at the time, but Rangers fans have always acted like Maloney was the Cheney to Sather's Bush, hehe, or the Hillary to Sather's Bill), while also not being the guy who fired him(which would've been Sather).
Agreed. So then if Renney doesn't want him I assume you don't think Maloney will either. If that's the case and Tanguay signs in TB or even Calgary, since it's looking less likely to me that he signs in Phoenix, Prospal is your next option.

How much is fair for him? 1 year at $2 or 2.5 mill? Less?

Closed Thread