HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Chelios wants to be a Ranger

Old
07-22-2009, 04:01 PM
SML

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Couldnt the same be said for Zubov, especially since the Rangers are breeding more offensively minded defenseman?

Sure hell cost a little more, but guys like MDZ, Sangs, Staal, Gilroy, Girardi and the rest of the group can gain similar knowledge from a vet whos been around forever and won cups as well.

I get the trade off of cap and health questions, but I dont think Zubov will come that expensive and he can help the PP and mentor at the same time. Plus he has a deadly first pass which can be useful in the system and with a guy like Gaborik in the mix now.

I just think he fits this team a little better than Chelios... but hey... who knows.
IMO, there is a difference between having a veteran around who can show you the ropes and help you learn, and having a veteran come in and take your job from you. Chelios could come in here, and on his best day is not running the PP and eating huge minutes. Zubov would come here to do just that. If you came in and took what I perceived as my job from me, how much do think I'm gonna learn from you while I sit there stewing over it?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
daigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
He wouldn't be a bad 7th dman at all. Don't just look at his age and offensive statistics and scream no way.
EXACTLY!

Rather take Chelios for the 7th spot than some AHL-dude with limited talant that anyway gonna end up in Europe in a couple of years...

daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
having a vet for league min as security, rather than starting 3 rookies, might not be an awful idea.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 04:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I fail to see why Chelios would agree to come here and be a 7th defenseman.

07-22-2009, 04:45 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who else would take him honestly?

Did he even see time in the playoffs this year?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 04:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

we will need a 7th dman and it looks like 5-6 are gonna be rookies so no way Slats puts 3 rookies on defense. the 7th guy wouldn't even get decent ice time and would be better served in HFD. It really doesn't matter (other than cap#s) who those two rookies are but I'm going with Gilroy (based off of the Sullivan connection and the reports out of prospect camp) and MDZ (based off of that Graves interview the goose posted. of course, training camp will tell the full story. Who knows, Nigel Williams could be the man in camp?

I do think a veteran 7th man and mentor would be beneficial for our young back line. I can't see how we can afford Zubov and he is also NOT a 7th man. He'd be stealing valuable ice time from the rookies.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Macke*

Of course the Rangers are going to sign another over the hill former superstar.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Who else would take him honestly?

Did he even see time in the playoffs this year?
I'm not saying he's anything more at this point. I just can't see him moving his family to NY to be a 7th defenseman.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I don't think it'll happen, but if he really, desperately wants to play bad enough, there are worse places to live in than New York. Play a few games with limited minutes, serve as sort of an extra assistant coach, it might not be too bad an idea as long as it's around the league minimum.

Now to me that doesn't exactly seem like a very sweet deal to take, but is there really any other team right now that would be interested in him? At least he'd get some time on the ice in that case.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
I'm not saying he's anything more at this point. I just can't see him moving his family to NY to be a 7th defenseman.
Good point. I guess he could just move himself to NY if it was only one year...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
SomE

Quote:
Do you think he is planning on signing a long term deal?! The guy just wants to play hockey. His family doesn't have to move anywhere.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Do you think he is planning on signing a long term deal?! The guy just wants to play hockey. His family doesn't have to move anywhere.
How much hockey is he really playing hockey as a 7th defenseman?

Chris you're a legend. Now enjoy the press box and give notes to Matt Gilroy.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 08:40 PM
SomE

Quote:
How much hockey is he really playing hockey as a 7th defenseman?

Chris you're a legend. Now enjoy the press box and give notes to Matt Gilroy.
He is the one that wants to continue playing and all he is at this point in his career is a 7th dman like he was on Detriot last season.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 09:17 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Chris Chelios knows more about hockey than the entire rest of our coaching staff combined. I would sign him for league minimum, then "assign" him to Hartford so his money didn't count against the cap, and bring him up when we need him to play I doubt anyone tries to claim him. For all the talk about "veteran leadership" around here, you think some people would recognize it when they see it. I don't see how the guy wouldn't be a solid additon to this team, mostly off the ice, but sometimes on it. There isnt a trick in the book the guy doesn't know about, he's played in big games, and he's a great example of how to keep yourself in prime shape, he's pushing 50 for crying out loud and it's not a stretch to say he could play next year. I'd do it, keep him around in case of injury or back to back games when someone gets dinged up on a road trip. I think with all the young Dmen we have around here, he could be a great help to their development, as long as he's not getting much icetime.
Well said, SML. In that situation, he'd be a better fit for this team than any of the garbage people bring up and get excited about.

Would love to have Chelios as the extra D

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 10:46 PM
levski87

No thanks. Waaaaaay to old. Retire already you old fart.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
The Thomas J.*

All these "legends" pass though NY at one time or another, usually at the very end of the end of there career. No shock if it happens. Hope it doesn't.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:10 AM
dynamoovechkin

Um, no. The Rangers are officially no longer where old warhorses go to die- that honor now belongs to San Jose- See Roenick, JR, Lemieux, C and Blake, R.

(OK Blake can at least still play, so he doesn't really count).

Leadership for the youngsters? I thought that's what COACHES were for...my bad.

Oh, and JR is a complete tool.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Edge

Roenick needs to stop worrying about everything in Chelios' career.

As for CC, no thanks.

I think his career was prolonged by a great team and a system that covered his diminished abilities. I don't think i'd want to see him anywhere else at this point.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:19 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
he was virtually that in Detroit, and if he wants to play here, then why WOULDNT he?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
he was virtually that in Detroit, and if he wants to play here, then why WOULDNT he?
I think Singn is basically saying that it's one thing to be a seventh defenseman for a cup challanging team in a city you've lived in for many years, rather than moving your family many miles to play the same role in a new city and new organization.

In other words, if a player has roots in a city, they are more willing to accept a lesser role. But it usually doesn't make sense to pack up your entire family and leave your life behind to go play the same role, thousands of miles away.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
So Chris Chelios wants to be a New York Ranger? Who cares, so do I, but I don't see it happening...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
SML

In this particular instance I think the "uprooting his family" aspect is not as big as it normally would be. Chelios has four kids, 2 of whom are old enough to be in college, and two who are in high school. It's not like they are four year olds who don't understand why dad's always gone.They have spent their entire lives with their father being on the road and pretty much gone for hockey season. Chelios has played most of his career in the western conference, where the road trips are frequent and long. Not like the east where most of your competition is a short bus trip or 2 hour plane ride and youre pretty much home every day. I'm not even sure he would uproot his family for a one season tour as a Ranger. I don't think he's selling his house and getting out of his businesses. He gets an apartment, the family comes and visits him a few times during the year, he swings home when we're on the road, and I'd be willing to bet it's not a whole lot different than his life is currently.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote