Old
09-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
September 30

Bruins next goal: Exceed expectations
It’s a different city now, a vastly different place for hockey, which is both the good and bad of piling up 53 wins and 116 points, and copping the top spot in the NHL’s Eastern Conference in the regular season. The Bruins have turned Boston into a hockey town again. The Garden’s ice has its luminous glow back, its good vibration, too.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._expectations/

Bruins return with shutdown mentality
Tim Thomas won the Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s best goaltender a year ago. He played behind Zdeno Chara, who took home the Norris Trophy as the league’s top defenseman. Both played for Jack Adams Award winner Claude Julien, who preaches defense first, last, and everything in between, with the best evidence being the Bruins’ 2.32 goals-against average, lowest in the NHL last season.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...own_mentality/

Kobasew prefers the reserved role
I just come off the bench,’’ he said when asked about the goal after yesterday’s practice at Ristuccia Arena.

Soft-spoken? Yes. But his relentless style on the ice resonates within the dressing room, and he should be a key component when the Bruins open their season tomorrow night at home against Washington.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...reserved_role/

Globe Staff picks
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...e_staff_picks/

Defenseman Derek Morris ready to break out of losing rut
“It wasn’t fun playing hockey and you can’t play this game that way,” said Morris. “You ask every player why you play the game and the answer is because you love it. It’s fun. I didn’t have a passion for the game. I didn’t love the game. I played it and I enjoyed being with the guys, but I hated going to the rink. And it wasn’t the staff or the coach (Wayne Gretzky). I just wanted to win.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...rts&position=2

Patrice Bergeron gets praise
“Bergy is one of the top two-way centers I’ve ever played with,” Recchi said yesterday at Rustuccia Arena. “He’s tremendously responsible on defense, but he’s also gifted offensively, and when you get put into the role, you get to shut down teams and create scoring opportunities.”
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...n_gets_praise/

Bruins expect a big year for Bergeron
"Patrice looks really healthy and strong," said No. 1 center Marc Savard shortly after training camp began. "He's going to add another dimension to this team. I can't wait to see him in the regular season."

Savard isn't alone.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sp...r-for-Bergeron

Turn up the volume: B’s ready for new season

The last time the Bruins played a game that mattered, Carolina’s Scott Walker was dancing in the West end of the TD Bank Garden following his game-winning OT goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals.

On Thursday night, the Black and Gold go about the business of trying to put that memory further in the past when they take on another team that was also eliminated in the same round of last spring’s Stanley Cup playoffs.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/

Begin Will Work For The Bruins
Shawn Thornton has the puck in the low corner of offensive zone, he drives to the net, bodies converge, the puck goes up, and a player goes down. Sure enough, Steve Begin had himself planted in front of the net (battling Chara) and tuck a puck in the face. Captain Zdeno Chara skated Begin to bench where he immediately was treated by the trainer.

About an hour later, Begin and Patrice Bergeron were chatting up in their native French as they prepared for media day. Clearly, the once hated Montreal Canadien known for a cross check on Marc Savard is quickly becoming a "Bruin."

http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/4239

Dupes: Don't chuckle, the Canucks will win first Cup
To make a case for the Canucks to be this season's Stanley Cup champs, it means dissing the likes of Pittsburgh and Detroit, last year's winner and co-finalist, not to mention the high-octane Caps, the broad-shouldered Flyers (even broader with Chris Pronger), and the impressive likes of the Bruins, Blackhawks, Sharks and Flames.

But I've come to praise the 'Nucks, not bury those other fakers.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33078722/ns/sports-nhl/

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
chuckdobbins

fluto doesnt pick boston to win the division. interesting.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Sec311Row6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
fluto doesnt pick boston to win the division. interesting.
yes he does, KPD doesnt though

KEVIN PAUL DUPONT
Bruins: 100 points, fourth in East. Marc Savard sizzles in March after setting up Milan Lucic for Canadaís gold-medal winner at Olympus.
Eastern Conference finals: Pittsburgh over Boston. Dollar Bill Guerin smokes victory cigar in Jeremy Jacobsís suite.
Western Conference finals: Vancouver over Chicago. Harold Snepsts treats all of British Columbia to a round.
Stanley Cup champion: Vancouver.
Discuss
COMMENTS (0)

FLUTO SHINZAWA
Bruins: 102 points, third in East. Zdeno Chara sprints the Bunker Hill Monument steps in self-flagellation.
Eastern Conference finals: Washington over Boston. Alex and the Ovies celebrate on White House lawn after Game 7 win.
Western Conference finals: Anaheim over Detroit. In snowbound Toronto, Brian Burke weeps over what he left behind.
Stanley Cup champion: Washington.

JIM HOBAN
Bruins: 99 points, third in East. Like the old days of Bourque and Neely, the Bruins canít handle the Steel Cityís iron.
Eastern Conference finals: Pittsburgh over Washington. Ovechkin wins another goal-scoring title, but Crosby and Malkin are off to the Cup finals again.
Western Conference finals: Chicago over Vancouver. Marian Hossa will be a Cup runner-up for the third straight season.
Stanley Cup champion: Pittsburgh.

Sec311Row6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec311Row6 View Post
yes he does, KPD doesnt though
my bad. read all the articles then commented, i just took the wrong guys name i suppose.

Old
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Sec311Row6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
my bad. read all the articles then commented, i just took the wrong guys name i suppose.
i wonder who he thinks wins it? Mtl or Ott?

Sec311Row6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Dupes: Don't chuckle, the Canucks will win first Cup
To make a case for the Canucks to be this season's Stanley Cup champs, it means dissing the likes of Pittsburgh and Detroit, last year's winner and co-finalist, not to mention the high-octane Caps, the broad-shouldered Flyers (even broader with Chris Pronger), and the impressive likes of the Bruins, Blackhawks, Sharks and Flames.

But I've come to praise the 'Nucks, not bury those other fakers
Always there to stir the pot.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec311Row6 View Post
i wonder who he thinks wins it? Mtl or Ott?
toronto

probably the habs. its not the common mans pick for the north east, but its not all that crazy either. with the amount of skill that team has, if they ever start to click, even half way into the season they will be tough to beat. kinda like the team they had 2 years ago. they were a bunch of speedy, soft russians, but good lord could they put on a show

Old
09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Actually, there were no "division winners" specified, just standings in the East, but if memory serves, the division winners are the 1-3 seeds, so for the B's to be fourth in the East, someone would have to beat them out.

Not sure what Hub's thinking on that is because 100 pts last year nets the B's the NE title, and I don't think the division is as strong as last season.

Oh wait, I just saw a little asterisk on the bottom...it says that if the B's sign Domenic Moore, all bets are off and the B's come out of the East....strange.

edit: if you look at Fluto's blog, KPD does have Boston 4th in the East, behind PIT-WAS-NJ, but they do win the NE division, so I guess that would make them 3rd for playoff seeding purposes?

Last edited by GloryDaze4877: 09-30-2009 at 10:53 AM.
GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote