HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Calgary Hitmen Off-Season Thread

Old
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
solipsta

vCash: 500
Going to my first game tonight. I'm really looking forward to it, as I haven't been to a WHL game in a while.

solipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:15 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

What a fun game to be at.

Hitmen win 4-0 to take a 2-0 series lead.

Stone, Shattock (2) and Kozun with the goals.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
solipsta

Both teams looked a little slow and sloppy early on, but the game picked up. Both teams got better as time went on, but Calgary was just that much better. There were some good plays, and we had fun.

One question: Why is the mascot a fox?

Old
04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
Both teams looked a little slow and sloppy early on, but the game picked up. Both teams got better as time went on, but Calgary was just that much better. There were some good plays, and we had fun.

One question: Why is the mascot a fox?

Glad Calgary won. The 1st period was really iffy, but Calgary really turned it on.

As for the Mascot. Calgary used to have THE VULK. He was this scary looking green dude with dark glasses - kind of intimidating. The Flames/Hitmen wanted to make the games "family friendly" - so Harvey the Hound - donated Farley the Fox to the Hitmen (some ceremony a few years ago). Kids aren't runny the other way when they see Farley coming.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Disappointing end to this one, with the Hitmen losing 4-3 in OT. After Broda's second goal, the Hitmen should have had this one wrapped up.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Disappointing end to this one, with the Hitmen losing 4-3 in OT. After Broda's second goal, the Hitmen should have had this one wrapped up.

Wow, what a lucky win last night. The Tigers have played one really good period the whole series and won one game. They were dead to rights going into the 3rd. But a couple of fortunate deflections changed the results.

I am going to whine a bit. But some really questionable - calls / missed calls by the officials.

Like the breakaway where Kozun was pulled down and no call.
Like the breakaway where Sylvester was pulled down and no call.
How about when the Tiger dropped his stick and gloves and wanted to fight and no call.
How about the too many men on the ice penalty for the Tigers that wasn't called.
Or lets see - the questionable "EVEN UP" 2 man advantage the Tigers got - shortly after the Hitmen had theirs???

The Hitmen just need to put last night behind them and do what they have done for most of the series. Their defensive zone coverage has been exceptional.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
ducky

How has Stone looked?

What is his potential?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
How has Stone looked?

What is his potential?

I think Stone has looked pretty good so far - his defensive play has been better than usual. His shot has been very good - when he decides to take it - he needs to shoot more, especially on the Power play.

Old
04-07-2010, 04:09 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
Wow, what a lucky win last night. The Tigers have played one really good period the whole series and won one game. They were dead to rights going into the 3rd. But a couple of fortunate deflections changed the results.

They found a way to get it done. Emerson Etem had been pretty quiet in this series, you knew he'd eventually snap out of it. I don't think the Hitmen played a bad game, but they missed out on a pretty big chance to really step on the Tigers' throats. If we can win tonight's game, I like our chances of taking this seriest at home in 5. The Tigers are a pretty good team though so that might be easier said than done.

Quote:
I am going to whine a bit. But some really questionable - calls / missed calls by the officials.

Like the breakaway where Kozun was pulled down and no call.
Like the breakaway where Sylvester was pulled down and no call.
How about when the Tiger dropped his stick and gloves and wanted to fight and no call.
How about the too many men on the ice penalty for the Tigers that wasn't called.
Or lets see - the questionable "EVEN UP" 2 man advantage the Tigers got - shortly after the Hitmen had theirs???

To be fair, officiating has been crap all post-season, going back to Round 1.

Old
04-07-2010, 04:46 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
They found a way to get it done. Emerson Etem had been pretty quiet in this series, you knew he'd eventually snap out of it. I don't think the Hitmen played a bad game, but they missed out on a pretty big chance to really step on the Tigers' throats. If we can win tonight's game, I like our chances of taking this seriest at home in 5. The Tigers are a pretty good team though so that might be easier said than done.

To be fair, officiating has been crap all post-season, going back to Round 1.

Yes, I totally agree about the officiating, I guess last night I really noticed how bad it was. It was shocking to see how much the Tigers got away with. And then the roughing call on Nyren to make it a 5 on 3 for the Tigers. The puck was in the air and they were both batting at it and he just happened to strike the Tiger with his glove. I have seen far worse in front of the nets and in the corners.

The Hitmen have to put the boots to them when they get them down and they are very capable of doing it.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:40 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen win 4-1 to take a 3-1 series lead!

I think they end it Friday at home. At least I hope so, anyways.

I can't say enough good things about Sylvester this year.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:54 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Hitmen win 4-1 to take a 3-1 series lead!

I think they end it Friday at home. At least I hope so, anyways.

I can't say enough good things about Sylvester this year.

There were a few tense moments last night, but Jones came up with a few big game savers.

Once again I thought, except for the 1st period - that Calgary dictated the play and we had strong defense in our own zone.

I sure want this series to end on Friday as well. If they continue to play this way, I think there is a good chance.

Yes, what can you say about Sylvester. 7 goals in the playoffs and he is all over the ice and doing an incredible job. he just looks so confident out there with Foucault. Next year he will be on the 1st or 2nd line for sure.

Last edited by travellingman345: 04-08-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old
04-09-2010, 08:52 PM
FoxMulder91*

Hitmen up 3-1 after the first period.
Shots are 12-9 in favor of the Hitmen.

FoxMulder91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:10 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Back to Medicine Hat it is.

Was really hoping the Hitmen could finish off the Tigers tonight. This was a game they let slip by. Hopefully we can get the job done in Game 6.

Old
04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
solipsta

Quote:
As for the Mascot. Calgary used to have THE VULK. He was this scary looking green dude with dark glasses - kind of intimidating. The Flames/Hitmen wanted to make the games "family friendly" - so Harvey the Hound - donated Farley the Fox to the Hitmen (some ceremony a few years ago). Kids aren't runny the other way when they see Farley coming.
Thanks for the history. It makes sense...

Old
04-10-2010, 04:22 PM
FoxMulder91*

THE VULK was awesome.
I dont think I was ever scared of him when I was a little kid.

I remember once he was in the second bowl and had a fishing rod and lowered down a plastic spider or something like that onto somone that was sitting in the lower bowl.

FoxMulder91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen win 3-2 in OT to take the series 4-2 and advance to Round 3!

What a game for Foucault. The tying goal and the GWG.

Old
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Hitmen win 3-2 in OT to take the series 4-2 and advance to Round 3!

What a game for Foucault. The tying goal and the GWG.

I nearly had a heart attack last night. I thought if the Hitmen would have lost last night, that it was all over for them in the series.

The first goal on Jones was very weak and I though Broda got jobbed on his second goal that was disallowed. The camera angle to me looked to be slanted and made his stick higher than it was.

Thank goodness for Foucault's heroics at the end of the 3rd and OT. He was determined to get those pucks.

Bunz was unbelievable - although a lot of shots were right at him, he did what he had to do for the Tigers to stay in it.

Hopefully, the Brandon / Saskatoon series will go to 7 games and the last game being a long overtime game.

Last edited by travellingman345: 04-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Hopefully, the Brandon / Saskatoon series will go to 7 games and the last game being at long overtime game.

I'll second that.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Jbcraig1883

I see that Foucault has been picking it up lately (statistically). Would all of you that have watched him the past two seasons say he tries harder in the postseason than the regular, is he getting more icetime, what's the deal?

I thought he was one of the more skilled (which isn't hard with the lack of offensive prospects the Wild have) players at the prospect camp but wasn't all that impressed with his stats, considering the Hitmen have such a stacked roster.

Anywho, just curious to find more information about Mr. Foucault.

Thanks much.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:53 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I see that Foucault has been picking it up lately (statistically). Would all of you that have watched him the past two seasons say he tries harder in the postseason than the regular, is he getting more icetime, what's the deal?

I thought he was one of the more skilled (which isn't hard with the lack of offensive prospects the Wild have) players at the prospect camp but wasn't all that impressed with his stats, considering the Hitmen have such a stacked roster.

Anywho, just curious to find more information about Mr. Foucault.

Thanks much.

They had hyped him up and predicted that Foucault would be one of the top scorers for the Hitmen this season - anywhere from 40 goals and 100 points. He definately didn't live up to that.

But Foucault seems to play his best hockey in the playoffs. Last year he only played a few regular season games and had decent stats, but he was incredible in the playoffs.

This year he was average in the regular season - you really didn't notice him much and was even a healthy scratch in the season. But once again he has picked it up for the playoffs. Himself and Cody Sylvester have been big surprises this post season.

The last game vs the Tigers. The tieing goal and the winner goal was do to his worth ethic. He stole the puck away from Carr, and made an incredible move to beat Bunz on the tieing goal. And then in OT he stole the puck from Bunz and put it in.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen no doubt have their work cut out for them against the Wheat Kings. Should be one hell of a series. Wouldn't be surprised to see this one go to 7. This is a series that Jones might have to steal a game or two for the Hitmen. We just can't afford an off-game from him. Can't wait for the puck to drop.

Old
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
travellingman345

Yes, very big series.

The Hitmen won 1 and lost 3 during the regular season. Hitmen had control in one of those loses. In the 3rd they were up and Brandon scored 5 on them.

No let downs or this could be a short series. However, I think Calgary's defensive zone coverage was excellent vs the Hat. Very rarely gave up second chances, lots of block shots and rebounds were cleared quickly. Jones needs to be on his game. He can't let any soft ones in.

I am glad to see that Shaw is broadcasting this series as well.

Old
04-18-2010, 10:26 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Series all tied up 1-1. Good so far.

Old
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Series all tied up 1-1. Good so far.

Game 1. Calgary looked really flat in the 1st period. Brandon dominated. 2nd period - picked it a bit, but all shots from the outside. 3rd period - I thought Calgary dominated but just came up short.

Game 2. Calgary started off great and looked like world beaters in the 1st. Then the 2nd - did their famous foot off the gas pedal and let Brandon back in the game. 3rd seemed pretty even to me. OT - Calgary was so fortunate to have the 2 man advance. Unlike the Medicine Hat series. They didn't screw around with it. They did what they had to do to get the puck in the net.

However, a huge confidence booster for the Hitmen.

Not sure if you pay attention to the OHL - but Windsor is down 3 games to 0 vs Kitchener. I didn't expect that.