HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings' home opener against Blackhawks

View Poll Results: Will Hossa be booed?
Yay 19 57.58%
Nay 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2009, 01:12 AM
angularcrayon19
It's The System

vCash: 500
Red Wings' home opener against Blackhawks

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....r_against.html

So, will the Joe boo Hossa? (Universally, not a few drunks here and there)

Quote:
Marian Hossa won't have long to wait to face his former teammates.

The Detroit Red Wings' home opener will be against Hossa and the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 8. Two nights later, the Red Wings will host two-time league MVP Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals, according to a person familiar with the NHL schedule, which is expected to be released Wednesday.
It was announced months ago that the Red Wings will open the regular season in Stockholm, Sweden, on Oct. 2-3, with a pair of games against the St. Louis Blues.

The Blackhawks, who signed Hossa to a 12-year, $62.8 million free-agent contract July 1, open the regular season in Helsinki, Finland, on Oct. 2-3 against the Florida Panthers.

The Red Wings eliminated the Blackhawks in the Western Conference finals. Hossa spent one season in Detroit, leading the team with 40 goals during the regular season but struggling in the playoffs (six goals, nine assists).

The Oct. 10 game against Washington will be only the second career appearance for Ovechkin in Detroit.

angularcrayon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 06:14 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Considering Hossa didn't show up in the playoffs, I certainly don't think he deserves a standing ovation from Red Wings fans, but I also don't think he deserves to be booed. Since the fans at the Joe booed Fedorov for so many years, I think Hossa will get similar treatment for at least a season or two.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by somepuertorican View Post
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....r_against.html

So, will the Joe boo Hossa? (Universally, not a few drunks here and there)
Obviously my feelings don't matter since I won't be booking a flight from Australia to Detroit for the home opener (although damn it would be nice to go to the sweden opener).

But I can only hope that they don't, He's a guy who came to detroit for 1 year to have a shot at the cup, he had his shot and it didn't work out. I don't see why we would boo him, he's a guy who gave us a great regular season when we had no right to be able to sign him really.

I can only hope me bid him a fond farewell with a bit more class than penguins fans who felt somehow entitled to have him on the team after just over 3 months.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Filppula
Jurks

I don't even care about Hossa. Don't boo him, not worth the effort.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Shoalzie

Spicy...I might have to go that one. I too probably wouldn't boo 81 but I'm not going to give him a hero's welcome either.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
I think people should not BOO for Hossa, mut there will always be those drunken bstrds, who will do that just for stupidy and for fun.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
doublejack

I'll be shocked if Hossa doesn't get boo'd.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
DarkReign

Detroit fans will boo him relentlessly. Thats just how it works, as irrational as it is, especially with regards to Hossa who was clearly lowballed ($4 million?!?!) by the Wings (unlike Fedorov).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
aar000n

the guy left pit for detroit not lyality the guy left detroit for chicago the same goes for being loyal. this may sound harsh but as far as im concerned hes a lady of the night looking for her next customer and yes booo him out of the areana.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Detroit fans will boo him relentlessly. Thats just how it works, as irrational as it is, especially with regards to Hossa who was clearly lowballed ($4 million?!?!) by the Wings (unlike Fedorov).
+1

This is exactly why I know it'll happen. It's just how it works.

And excellent point about Hossa being lowballed. I can't believe Holland had the fortitude to make such an insulting offer. Hossa did and said all the right things about wanting to stay, he just wasn't taken seriously.

However, Hossa's disappearing act in the playoffs didn't help his cause. So any goodwill toward him for the way he was run out of town is negated.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
jacK

for as much crap as the Pens fans [deservedly] got for booing him, we're going to deserve it just as much because our [ignorant, same ones that boo Feds,] fans will do the same.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
+1

This is exactly why I know it'll happen. It's just how it works.

And excellent point about Hossa being lowballed. I can't believe Holland had the fortitude to make such an insulting offer. Hossa did and said all the right things about wanting to stay, he just wasn't taken seriously.

However, Hossa's disappearing act in the playoffs didn't help his cause. So any goodwill toward him for the way he was run out of town is negated.
I agree that he shouldn't be booed, but there's no way what Holland did was insulting. Sure, it was obviously much less than what he wanted, but the team had only so much to give. The money wasn't great, but he tried to fix that with the term and front-loading.... basically doing whatever he could within the team's budget to keep him. There's no way that he wasn't taking Marian seriously.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 06:16 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

I def wouldn't boo...
I kinda figured he would be a 1 year rental player has no effect on me... sure decent season, but blew chunks at the playoffs injury or not...

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Sean Avery*

Oooh this is going to be awesome. It sucks the Hawks could still be jetlagged but it should be great no matter what!

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
Oooh this is going to be awesome. It sucks the Hawks could still be jetlagged but it should be great no matter what!
Pssst. Wings are starting over in Europe too.

Old
07-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Pssst. Wings are starting over in Europe too.

Brainfart...!

Old
07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Fugu

vCash:
So we'll have both teams half-asleep by game time. Yay.

Old
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
So we'll have both teams half-asleep by game time. Yay.
Regardless... Hawks vs. Wings at the Joe for opening night... yikes.

EDIT: To answer the original question... no question the Wings fans will boo Hossa. If it were the reverse situation for me I would boo him as a Wings player for being a team hopper.

Old
07-15-2009, 02:04 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

It doesn't take a lot of people to create the impression of booing, so even if just 1% of the people in attendance boo him it'd seem like "Wings fans" (as a group) boo him.

I personally wouldn't boo him, he did what he felt was right for himself and that's that. And I don't think his playoff performance was down to lack of effort either, it was more like the pressure and desire to play well paralyzed him which can happen and has happened to a lot of decent people.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:31 AM
MetalMilitia

I don't think he should be booed, but I guarantee it will happen. I won't boo because karma is a ********* and I don't want to end up plagued by it negatively like Mary hossa.

MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Shoalzie

I really think any booing that might happen will be more of a product of him jumping ship to a rival team. Would there be nearly reaction had he ended up in New York or Los Angeles or Vancouver? We had to figure keeping him was a slim proposition but I think fans don't feel jilted about him leaving the Wings as much as it's about him leaving for an enemy squad like the Hawks.

We bagged on the Penguin fans for booing him for being there only from the deadline to the cup finals...why are we any different? Because he chose to be here and played an entire season before leaving town? I really had it in the back of my mind this entire season to not get to attached to him because there's no guarantee he was going to stay. It's the feeling alone that will probably keep me from getting to upset that he left for the Hawks. What might chap my ass is if he has big games against the Wings and in some weird twist of fate, he takes the Hawks to the finals and he finally wins a cup.

When it came to Fedorov leaving...he almost did it once before with the big offer sheet the Canes threw at him and I held a little bit of resentment towards him even after the Wings were forced to match it. Then he goes off and leaves to a team that had eliminated the Wings from the playoffs the year before. You really wanted to think Sergei wouldn't leave because he was "our guy" but he did in the end.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
I agree that he shouldn't be booed, but there's no way what Holland did was insulting. Sure, it was obviously much less than what he wanted, but the team had only so much to give. The money wasn't great, but he tried to fix that with the term and front-loading.... basically doing whatever he could within the team's budget to keep him. There's no way that he wasn't taking Marian seriously.
Based on real NHL value, it was an insulting offer. There just isn't a way around it.
He turned down an $81M offer to come to detroit.
Getting a $40M offer is an insult to a player for his caliber and value.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Based on real NHL value, it was an insulting offer. There just isn't a way around it.
He turned down an $81M offer to come to detroit.
Getting a $40M offer is an insult to a player for his caliber and value.
The contract he signed in Chicago is an insult compared to the 81m he was offered in Edmonton.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
The contract he signed in Chicago is an insult compared to the 81m he was offered in Edmonton.
Yes, it is. But I happen to think the contract he took in Chicago is still, by say, Franzen standards, a pretty good deal for the Hawks.
It pretty much splits the Oilers offer and Wings offer right down the center.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
SaginawSpiritOHL

The fact that he signed with the Wings' biggest rival, is reason enough for me to boo him. If he had signed with the Florida Panthers i wouldn't care much.

Last edited by SaginawSpiritOHL: 07-21-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Elaboration
SaginawSpiritOHL is offline   Reply With Quote