HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Rewind - Summer of '07

Old
07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Prospect Rewind - Summer of '07

I know everyone is falling over themselves with our current prospects so I thought it would be interesting to look back in order to look forward. Here is a list of our top 30 prospects, voted on 2 years ago.

1. Staal
2. Montoya
3. Cherepanov
4. Bourret
5. Callahan
6. Girardi
7. Dubinsky
8. Sanguinetti
9. Anisimov
10. Korpikoski
11. Dawes
12. Sauer
13. Pyatt
14. Baranka
15. Dupont
16. Immonen
17. Byers
18. Lafleur
19. Jessiman
20. Hillier
21. Moore
22. Kveton
23. Potter
24. Ryan
25. Zaborsky
26. Busto
27. Campbell
28. Liffiton
29. Hagelin
30. Graham

My general thought is that this list is damn impressive. The top 3 were all thought of as top 20 or so prospects in the whole league. Cally, Girardi, Dubi, Dawes had all played a tad in the NHL and had varying success. Bourret, Sanguinetti, Korpedo, Anisimov were all high draft picks who people were high on. Another thing of note - Lafleur had just been our second round pick and was ranked 18th.

So comparing this to the poll that is currently being conducted...Yes we have some very nice prospects but our current top 10 will have played about 5 minutes of NHL hockey (Anisimov game 7). Also everyone loves our depth now but i think this list has much much better depth. 4 guys on this list have permanent spots on our team (Staal, Girardi, Cally, Dubi), but each was as close to NHL ready as you can be at the time of the ranking. The guys who have been traded from this list brought back absolutely nothing of consequence so its not like we got value from them through trades. Some of the guys are currently our top prospects so the jury is still out.

What we can take from this is that in two years from now we may only have a couple of our prospects on our roster and it is especially unpredictable because we have one semi sure NHLer in Anisimov and then question marks galore.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Greg02

OK... say Anisimov becomes the number one center, to match up with Staal's #1 D-Man. Sanguinetti is the bust to Montoya. Kreider or something is like the Anisimov at 9 or so, in a few years he'll be towards the top. McDonagh becomes a Girardi like player. Stepan similar to Dubinsky. Grachev can be the level of talent Cherepanov had, without the tragedy, hopefully. Guys like Werek and Potter and Borque and Sauer and the like go on to become bottom-6, or bottom-pairing NHLers that end up traded away, like Dawes and Korpedo.

Honestly, looking at that list we were very successful. I'd take what we got out of that and run.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Just for kicks, here's link to the prospect polls going back to '05.

HF Prospect Poll Results:

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
OK... say Anisimov becomes the number one center, to match up with Staal's #1 D-Man. Sanguinetti is the bust to Montoya. Kreider or something is like the Anisimov at 9 or so, in a few years he'll be towards the top. McDonagh becomes a Girardi like player. Stepan similar to Dubinsky. Grachev can be the level of talent Cherepanov had, without the tragedy, hopefully. Guys like Werek and Potter and Borque and Sauer and the like go on to become bottom-6, or bottom-pairing NHLers that end up traded away, like Dawes and Korpedo.

Honestly, looking at that list we were very successful. I'd take what we got out of that and run.
what?

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
what?
Montoya was the highly ranked bust on that list. I picked one of our highly ranked players to parallel- change it to whoever you'd like to.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
John Torturella

probably some where around one third of these players have made or are very close to making an impact in the NHL.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I know everyone is falling over themselves with our current prospects so I thought it would be interesting to look back in order to look forward. Here is a list of our top 30 prospects, voted on 2 years ago.

1. Staal
2. Montoya
3. Cherepanov
4. Bourret
5. Callahan
6. Girardi
7. Dubinsky
8. Sanguinetti
9. Anisimov
10. Korpikoski
11. Dawes
12. Sauer
13. Pyatt
14. Baranka
15. Dupont
16. Immonen
17. Byers
18. Lafleur
19. Jessiman
20. Hillier
21. Moore
22. Kveton
23. Potter
24. Ryan
25. Zaborsky
26. Busto
27. Campbell
28. Liffiton
29. Hagelin
30. Graham

My general thought is that this list is damn impressive. The top 3 were all thought of as top 20 or so prospects in the whole league. Cally, Girardi, Dubi, Dawes had all played a tad in the NHL and had varying success. Bourret, Sanguinetti, Korpedo, Anisimov were all high draft picks who people were high on. Another thing of note - Lafleur had just been our second round pick and was ranked 18th.

So comparing this to the poll that is currently being conducted...Yes we have some very nice prospects but our current top 10 will have played about 5 minutes of NHL hockey (Anisimov game 7). Also everyone loves our depth now but i think this list has much much better depth. 4 guys on this list have permanent spots on our team (Staal, Girardi, Cally, Dubi), but each was as close to NHL ready as you can be at the time of the ranking. The guys who have been traded from this list brought back absolutely nothing of consequence so its not like we got value from them through trades. Some of the guys are currently our top prospects so the jury is still out.

What we can take from this is that in two years from now we may only have a couple of our prospects on our roster and it is especially unpredictable because we have one semi sure NHLer in Anisimov and then question marks galore.
The bolded part is untrue. We got Lisin for Korpikoski and we got a draft pick for Bourret that became Kundratek. We also got Valentenko and McDonagh for Pyatt and Busto (yes, and Gomez).

Montoya may end up being good some day, but Bourret is an AHLer. If Cherepanov had not passed away, our prospect pool would be ridiculous right now.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Just for kicks, here's link to the prospect polls going back to '05.

HF Prospect Poll Results:
how far Dane Byers and Corey Potter (who fell off the poll radar during the 06-07 season) have come.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The bolded part is untrue. We got Lisin for Korpikoski and we got a draft pick for Bourret that became Kundratek. We also got Valentenko and McDonagh for Pyatt and Busto (yes, and Gomez).

Montoya may end up being good some day, but Bourret is an AHLer. If Cherepanov had not passed away, our prospect pool would be ridiculous right now.
Indeed. RIP Cherry.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:11 PM
MSG the place to be*

When I said we acquired nothing significant through trade and you come back with Lisin as a rebuttal thats pretty hilarious. Also, do not tell me that busto and pyatt meant anything in the Gomez trade.

Old
07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
squishy

Quote:
4. Bourret

Oh, what fun hindsight can be!

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

Oh, what fun hindsight can be!
You gotta admit he was a promising prospect, even if he was a project when we snagged him.

Strong, fast, tough, with a scoring touch. I remember him being lauded as "Hollweg with Hands" back when Hollweg hadn't started racking up suspensions and was still popular around here.

Oh well, they can't all work out.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
When I said we acquired nothing significant through trade and you come back with Lisin as a rebuttal thats pretty hilarious. Also, do not tell me that busto and pyatt meant anything in the Gomez trade.
So, you are saying that Korpikoski is a much better prospect than Lisin? I'm not saying Lisin is some super prospect, just comparing him to Korpikoski, which seemed to be the point you were making, that our prospect pool was better in 2007.

And yes, Gomez was the major part of that trade, but the point is, we traded away a future 3rd liner and an ECHL scrub and got back 2 potential top 4 dmen. Regardless of how it occurred, our prospect pool improved significantly.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Cermi

I think we had a pretty good top 10 (better top 11) because except for Cherry and Bourret everyone of them will have played in the NHl by the first game of the following season (Anisimov is lock imo). Montoya and Bourret were highly overrated but it happens very often. They are just prospects, you never know how will they turn out.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

strange, i thought Bourret had at least one good season in the AHL. it must have just been his 18 points in 23 games after we acquired him. We must have just got caught up in his 1st round status.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
squishy

Bourret was GREAT when we first got him in Hartford. And in large part, his drop in production the next season can be blamed on injuries. He's insanely talented. He could have easily made the NHL one day. But his head's just not screwed on straight. He wasn't willing to do the work required or believe that the Rangers knew better than he did.

That's what so funny about prospect polls. A kid can have all the skill in the world, but you never know what'll happen to him once he hits the pros and encounters his first serious bumps in the road.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post

Stepan is NOT similar to Dubinsky.. not even the slightest..

and did you say Sanguinetti is a bust??

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Some good names. But also some real clunkers due to how misguided this organization is. How demoralizing.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I think that Korpikoski for Lisin is pretty even.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Wow, everybody was salivating over those lists, and I love how a bunch of people kept saying that our 10-20 were good enough to be other teams' top 10...

That said, I think this list will be the most impressive.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
The guys who have been traded from this list brought back absolutely nothing of consequence so its not like we got value from them through trades. Some of the guys are currently our top prospects so the jury is still out.

I like the premise of this post, but i have to take up issue with this point.

The reason Sather didnt get much back in return for guys some prospects... Prucha and Dawes specifically, is because they were RFAs on a team with a capped strapped future. Sather was almost forced to give up on some of the youth to set himself up to sign the Callahans, Dubinskys and Staals, while still being able to have the room to sign free agents.

So while i see the reasoning, there is a lot more to it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

- 5 out of the top 10 prospects made the NHL as above average players.
- Cherry died, and he'd have probably made it.
- Monty is probably going to make the NHL as a backup. Not what we wanted, but still will play in the league.
- Dawes is also an NHL, though a marginal one.
- Anisimov, Sang, Sauer, Byers are close to making the NHL and probably will.
- Hagelin is still a prospect and may make it in a couple of years.

So 5 above average NHLers, 2 below average NHLers, 4 prospects who'll probably make it and another who may make it.

Out of the top 12 prospects, 11 lived and everyone except Bourret either is in the NHL or will be in the NHL, with most of them eventually being above average NHLers. That's not bad.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
MSG the place to be*

with the trades point, I was merely pointing to the fact that you cant say "oh well of course we didnt bring more guys to the big club because we traded four future nhlers for X and X was damn worth it."

We traded our prospects from this list as packages for Sjostrom, Morris, and Lisin (and im not buying the Busto and Pyatt return). Sjos and Morris are gone and Lisin is Lisin.