HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Davis Drewiske

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
  #1
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Davis Drewiske

I think that he is one of our most underrated defenseman. Just from the looks of it last season, he had a very untapped offensive game, and was always solid defensively.

I think he makes it full time this year, and I think that he could be a bottom pairing defenseman, with potential to move on up.

Does anyone else see this in Davis? He often looked better than JMFJ out there (not to say he is better, JMFJ had other circumstances, and Drewiske had much more polishing in the pros)

I know it would be much better to have an established puck moving defenseman on the powerplay, but it doesn't look like we are going to add anyone else, and Davis I think could get like 20 points but be an effective defenseman.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
  #2
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
The problem is he is neither offensively gifted nor overly physical....

When you have bangers like Greene and OD, a stay at home guy in Scuderi and two finese guys in Johnson and Doughty, Kings could use either a physical guy like Gauthier or a puck mover like Hickey...Drewiske is too similar to Scuderi. Even Lombardi said it recently, they like him, but in terms of what they need as a #6 guy, he is not what we "need."

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:12 PM
  #3
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The problem is he is neither offensively gifted nor overly physical....

When you have bangers like Greene and OD, a stay at home guy in Scuderi and two finese guys in Johnson and Doughty, Kings could use either a physical guy like Gauthier or a puck mover like Hickey...Drewiske is too similar to Scuderi. Even Lombardi said it recently, they like him, but in terms of what they need as a #6 guy, he is not what we "need."
Well I would like to see OD as the 7th defenseman (I dont think he can play a regular shift for 82 games anymore really), and than as you said, get someone physical or offensively gifted. Of course, who is available to meet all those conditions? We can't just hope that we get the ideal player.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
  #4
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
I like Drewiske a lot. I think he has Scuderi-type potential. For now though, I think he is an awesome option as 6/7. I think the other 6/7 needs to be a PP specialist, and that way, we can either dress 7 defenseman or one or the other depending on how the team's offense or defense is leaning at the time. Keep him around as long as possible, keep him as a cheap depth guy until he is in his late 20's... then Scuderi's contract is up, and Drewiske slots right in... just like Pittsburgh did with Scuderi himself. Not every prospect needs to be a big part of the team immediately. I like the idea of hanging on to him as the depth defenseman, or as a Manchester 'cheerleader' from time to time.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
  #5
JMFJ 3
Registered User
 
JMFJ 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: French Polynesia
Posts: 4,770
vCash: 500
He doesn't have a high ceiling but I like him, nice bottom pairing defensemen.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:54 PM
  #6
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: place
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Always the bridesmaid...

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 09:39 PM
  #7
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Registered User
 
Stupid Sexy Flanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
I imagine that ideally d-men #5, 6 & 7 (OD, Drewiske & TBA*) would each play 50-60 games.

*Probably Hickey, I think, but don't discount Martinez. Could be Gauthier.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
  #8
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Well I would like to see OD as the 7th defenseman (I dont think he can play a regular shift for 82 games anymore really) ...
I don't see why you say this ? the only reason his tank ran dry near the end of last year was that he was being counted on to play too many minutes, near top min even strength, and a ton of PK ice time ... Lombardi as much said this, and took care of it by signing Scuderi, who relieves O'Donnell of that pressure, and allows him to play less minutes as the #5-6 pairing w/ 2nd PK minutes. O'Donnell should be just fine in that role and is still a valuable mentor to the younger guys and whoever he's paired up with for the one year he's signed for.

As for Who plays the #6 I'm gonna guess it's either Drewiske, Harrold or Hickey depending on what they show at training camp come October, and may the better man win. Drewiske or Harrold also make fine #7's as they come to play, but don't ***** if they sit, and don't have as much to gain playing in the AHL for year like Hickey might.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
  #9
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
The definition of "depth"

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
  #10
deano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I like Drewiske a lot. I think he has Scuderi-type potential. For now though, I think he is an awesome option as 6/7. I think the other 6/7 needs to be a PP specialist, and that way, we can either dress 7 defenseman or one or the other depending on how the team's offense or defense is leaning at the time. Keep him around as long as possible, keep him as a cheap depth guy until he is in his late 20's... then Scuderi's contract is up, and Drewiske slots right in... just like Pittsburgh did with Scuderi himself. Not every prospect needs to be a big part of the team immediately. I like the idea of hanging on to him as the depth defenseman, or as a Manchester 'cheerleader' from time to time.
You are dead on in your assessment. Drewiske is here to stay. He will be taking regular shifts all season long with the Kings, and doubt he sees one minute of time in Manchester. With his cap hit, he is also more desirable to have around than a guy like Hickey, and a more proven commodity. Drewiske is a competitor, and Murray/Lombardi really like what he brings. For all the people who want to try to pick apart everything he doesn't do, just realize that not every prospect is going to fit into your time frame of development. For a guy getting his feet wet, he has done very well. He has the versatility to pair with Doughty, as well as being steady support to the bottom six.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
  #11
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
IMO, Drewiske is the guy that gets dealt at the deadline for an upgrade as we make the playoffs. Good solid kid, but a dime a dozen.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:53 PM
  #12
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
IMO, Drewiske is the guy that gets dealt at the deadline for an upgrade as we make the playoffs. Good solid kid, but a dime a dozen.
Trade enough dimes and one may find pockets full of pennies.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
  #13
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Trade enough dimes and one may find pockets full of pennies.
Or, you get a team like Toronto who has a GM that gets hard on's for certain players.

BB: Hey DL I'll give you Kaberle for that Drewiske kid and a 3rd, what do you say?


Would you rather go into the playoffs with a Tomas Kaberle or a Davis Drewiske?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:04 PM
  #14
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Registered User
 
Stupid Sexy Flanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
BB: Hey DL I'll give you Kaberle for that Drewiske kid and a 3rd, what do you say?
You should post that on the trades board, right now, just for kicks.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
  #15
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Or, you get a team like Toronto who has a GM that gets hard on's for certain players.

BB: Hey DL I'll give you Kaberle for that Drewiske kid and a 3rd, what do you say?


Would you rather go into the playoffs with a Tomas Kaberle or a Davis Drewiske?
I don't swim in imaginary waters.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:17 PM
  #16
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Or, you get a team like Toronto who has a GM that gets hard on's for certain players.

BB: Hey DL I'll give you Kaberle for that Drewiske kid and a 3rd, what do you say?


Would you rather go into the playoffs with a Tomas Kaberle or a Davis Drewiske?
Every player looks tradeable by that logic.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:33 PM
  #17
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I don't swim in imaginary waters.
No you just sleep in padded rooms.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
  #18
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
No you just sleep in padded rooms.
Padded with love and poetry.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
  #19
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Padded with love and poetry.
Does your wife buy this crap?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
  #20
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Does your wife buy this crap?
When you come here and we share laughs, you can ask her.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:59 PM
  #21
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
When you come here and we share laughs, you can ask her.
Will do.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
  #22
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,537
vCash: 500
Towards the end of last season, I thought DD was more effective then OD.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:06 AM
  #23
Omni Owl
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 
Omni Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
I didn't really notice him too much at the end of last year. Guess that's a good thing.

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
  #24
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
I didn't really notice him too much at the end of last year. Guess that's a good thing.
I was in this same category. Maybe I was focused on something more interesting?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:27 AM
  #25
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
You should post that on the trades board, right now, just for kicks.
Relax Mary, it's not a proposal.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.