HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: PIT-MTL

View Poll Results: Do you trade Jordan Staal for the K-Bros
Done 86 47.25%
Nope 96 52.75%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-24-2009, 06:38 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

vCash: 500
Proposal: PIT-MTL

By the thread title, many of you are thinking: "not another trade for Jordan Staal proposal". Well, congratulate yourself on your very good insight.

Here it is and the reasoning behind this yet another ploy to land that big center we need despite the recent overhaul of our roster:

To MTL: Jordan Staal + 1 pick {ranged between 3rd and 5th}
To PIT: AK + SK

As I just stated, we still have issues at center and I won't go deep into explaining this since it has been done over and over again within this board.

The reason why PIT would be tempted in doing this trade is for better overall depth precisely on the top lines. As of now, PIT's roster is settle in this manner (give or take 1 or 2 wingers on their off-wing - sue me I'm not perfect):

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Fedotenko - Malkin - ???
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis
Rupp - Talbot - Adams
extras: Godard, Kennedy

Now, of course, Tyler Kennedy is far from being an extra or a healthy scratch. Where do you insert this versatile forward?

Is Fedotenko second line material? He is aging and only signed a 1 year contract.

Will Guerin still be has effective this fortcoming year? Could PIT even envision milking his cow on a longer period of time? He also only signed for one year.

What to do with Satan and Sykora, two UFA's that are still not signed? And will they be signed?

Does PIT have any top quality prospects for top line replacements if call-ups are needed? A look at hockeysfuture prospects for PIT's and we come to realise the lack of quality depth.

That being said, trading the K-bros to PIT gives them more stability and depth on the top lines and adds a bit more inner-competition in the mix.

PIT's roster could look like this at the end of 09-10:
Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
SK - Malkin - AK
Cooke - Kennedy - Dupuis
Rupp - Talbot - Adams
extra Godard, Lucas Caputi

Lastly, another point to consider is that both brothers are RFA's at then end of their respective contracts.

From MTL perspective, we gain THE center we so dearly need and a draft pick to rebuild our depth at wing. Our roster could take the likes of (this is only a projection):
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Staal - Latendresse
Moen - Lapierre - Chips
Stewart - Metropolit - D'Agostini
extra: BGL

We can mingle our left wing easily, i.e. Chips can go down on the 4th and Dags on the 3rd or 2nd, and Lats freely moving between 2nd and 3rd. Also, Lapierre and Chips on a same shutdown line gives you good depth on faceoffs. Lapierre could also be used on the wing.

The only down side of this trade would be wearing thin our depth at wing. But I think we can manage knowing that we are also well managed in the AHL.

Now, salary cap wise, does this proposal float? Not a big issue at all.

Jordan Staal is inked for 4M
K-Bros are a combined cost of roughly 4M

To the wise of you that now have realized that Plekanec becomes expendable, then we can easily go and fetch a serious draft pick or a draft pick + a quality NHL depth player. Consequently, we get better wiggle room cap wise - which isn't a bad thing to have knowing that we have Price and Halak to sign next FA season.

So, you are PIT, do you do this trade?

Thanks for your time, I know the post was a lengthy one.

Last edited by crazyd: 07-24-2009 at 07:10 AM.
crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:43 AM
BJCOLLINS

Not only would I do that trade I'd sweeten it with Plec's and remove Pitt's 1st.

so Staal (& 2nd) for AK, SK and Plecs

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:00 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Pleky will not be traded like that. He's at least a second line center and he will be what in pitsburgh a third? On top of that I think you'd have to add in a draft pick for Jordan if you wanted him plus the k bros never mind pitsburghs but even if that was the case I'd still do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
Not only would I do that trade I'd sweeten it with Plec's and remove Pitt's 1st.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:07 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Pleky will not be traded like that. He's at least a second line center and he will be what in pitsburgh a third? On top of that I think you'd have to add in a draft pick for Jordan if you wanted him plus the k bros never mind pitsburghs but even if that was the case I'd still do it
I agree that Plekanec is of no value in this proposition. Where I disagree is on adding a pick from our side. Remember, both brothers will be RFA's. That in itself is pretty valuable.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:13 AM
danyhabsfan

If I was Pitt I would want a def
They lost Scuderi, Boucher and Gill and add Mckee
I would think theyd like a 6th-7th def

Gonchar
Letand
Orpik
Mckee
Eaton
Goligoski

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Fozz

I was supposed to answer this as if I was Pitt? Too bad I saw that after I voted, just like probably 50% of people that will answer, making this poll completely useless. You can't expect people to read your essay before voting.

Anyways, for the record, If I'm Montreal, I keep the Kostitsyns.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Darz

I would do the trade, without question.

07-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post

That trade would come back to bite the Habs in the butt after both Kostitsyns get 70pts + playing with Malkin and Staal prove he's got very limited offensive upside and isn't much more than a decent 3rd line center.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:31 AM
TheCH*

Wrong forum if you want a pens perspective on this..

But if i am the pens, i do this. Andrei Kostitsyn would put up 40 with Malkin for sure and Sergei could score 70 points.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:35 AM
STAALing

Pittsburgh wouldn't do it so it's moot really.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Kebekoi

We have too much wingers and need depth at center, nice idea.

Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Cammelari Plekanec D'Agostini
Moen Staal Latendresse
Stewart Lapierre Chipchura

Metropolit Laraque

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Nope. If we're trading the Kostitsyns, I'd rather it be for a second line centre. Trading them for another third line centre, even one like Staal, doesn't help us at all. We already have Lapierre, Metropolit and Chipchura (and eventually Maxwell) who can play center in our bottom two lines if needed.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:53 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Nope. If we're trading the Kostitsyns, I'd rather it be for a second line centre. Trading them for another third line centre, even one like Staal, doesn't help us at all. We already have Lapierre, Metropolit and Chipchura (and eventually Maxwell) who can play center in our bottom two lines if needed.
**** even Ryan Getzlaf would be a third line center on pit.

Staal will be a first line center in this league in the future(unless he is still with the pens).

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 07-24-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter.
Old
07-24-2009, 07:58 AM
STAALing

Quote:
Third line center, lol

Old
07-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Gomez4prez

Staal on the third line in MTL? lol

Gomez4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't trade Staal for the Kost's.

But I would trade the Kost's for Staal.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:05 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzner and Doughty View Post
Third line center, lol
You'd be comfortable going into the season with Staal and his 50 points as your second line centre?

Or are you one of the the ones that fool themselves into thinking he'd get 80 if he wasn't behind Malkin and Crosby?

Old
07-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

How about Andrei K + Pleks + 1st round pick for Staal?

That way we give good talent without depleting our wings too much by keeping Sergei. Pleks wouldn't be of any use anymore with the addition of staal so this makes sense habs wise.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
You'd be comfortable going into the season with Staal and his 50 points as your second line centre?

Or are you one of the the ones that fool themselves into thinking he'd get 80 if he wasn't behind Malkin and Crosby?
I don't think our 1st line center is going to get 80 points, let alone our 2nd line center. So yah, I'd be perfectly comfortable with Staal getting 50 points as my 2nd line centre.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

I would be one of them fools.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:18 AM
TheCH*

Quote:

Or maybe people think that 50 points is pretty damn good for a 20 year old who will get better and better. What, you think he has reached his peak? Come on...

Old
07-24-2009, 08:21 AM
STAALing

Quote:

I've seen better of you hototogisu... I hope you havent had your coffee yet

Old
07-24-2009, 08:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think our 1st line center is going to get 80 points, let alone our 2nd line center. So yah, I'd be perfectly comfortable with Staal getting 50 points as my 2nd line centre.
Then I don't get it. Plekanec put up 39 points and everyone wants him exiled to Siberia. Yet if we have Staal getting 11 more points on a bigger contract, we're happier? Staal is better defensively to be sure, but that much better? He's not a physical player at all, either. So what's the appeal?

I'm not making a "Plekanec is better than Staal" argument here, I'm just trying to see the logic.

Even though Staal is considerably younger than Plekanec, I have my doubts about whether he'll ever evolve into a guy who can produce enough offense consistently to be a bonafide second line centre. Just because you're an elite third line centre doesn't automatically mean you'd excel in a second line centre role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzner and Doughty View Post
I've seen better of you hototogisu... I hope you havent had your coffee yet
Well I'm obviously in the minority but I've just never been a big fan of Staal. I think elite third line centre is his ceiling - not that there's any shame in that, I just don't know if he's a guy you want to rely on to put up points in your second line centre role. People have this mentality like "well if he's great as a third line centre, then he must be good for a second line centre!" and I don't see it.

But he's still very young and has plenty of time to prove me wrong...and I've been wrong many times before

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 07-24-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old
07-24-2009, 08:29 AM
25th

Quote:

Hello!

The kid is 20yrs old. He missed only one game in three years. 6'4", 220. AND HE PLAYS WITH LEFTOVERS on Pitts third line.

He will be much more than a 3rd line center.

So yes, I'm one of those fools

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:40 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Well I'm obviously in the minority but I've just never been a big fan of Staal. I think elite third line centre is his ceiling - not that there's any shame in that, I just don't know if he's a guy you want to rely on to put up points in your second line centre role. People have this mentality like "well if he's great as a third line centre, then he must be good for a second line centre!" and I don't see it.

But he's still very young and has plenty of time to prove me wrong...and I've been wrong many times before
He's already an elite 3rd line center... you think there's no room for him to get better?

Unlike most people here, I don't see Staal as a first line center... but a quality 2nd liner, with huge upside... but if he fails and just play the way he did last year, it would already be an upgrade over Pleks because of his size.

The problem with dealing the bros is that it leaves us short on the wing... I do NOT want D'Agostini on the first 2 lines...

Before Hossa injury, we could maybe have thought about Sharp, but now, I don't think he'll go anywhere.

Pleks can play the wing... but it's not the best solution. So unless we can get another winger, I doubt we can afford this trade.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote