HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes re-acquire Aaron Ward

Old
07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
JR speaks.

Some comments on Ward and if the Canes will be doing anything else. The article also notes:
Quote:
While more depth signings may or may not happen, there are more pressing issues to be ironed out with defensemen Anton Babchuk and Frantisek Kaberle. The addition of Ward makes a contract buyout of Kaberle seem even more inevitable than it already did. As for Babchuk, Rutherford said today that he was hoping to have that situation sorted out one way or another by the beginning of next week.

07-24-2009, 01:17 PM
bleedgreen

Well I was saying the ward part was what I'm referring to yesterday, vagrant. I don't care about the babs part. I get what you guys are saying, but I just find the pattern annoying. I actually mind the 4th rounder more than eaves. Eaves needed to escape us and I wish him the best. We never have enough draft choices and here we are again throwing one in. Im not truly upset about this at all, we need s ward like guy. One that would be in his prime and with us longer wouldve been perfect but this still improvement. I just get tired of the pattern. Pick the right guys to keep in the first place. Overpay ward and let kaberle go in the first place. Have foresight. The best teams do.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Well I was saying the ward part was what I'm referring to yesterday, vagrant. I don't care about the babs part. I get what you guys are saying, but I just find the pattern annoying. I actually mind the 4th rounder more than eaves. Eaves needed to escape us and I wish him the best. We never have enough draft choices and here we are again throwing one in. Im not truly upset about this at all, we need s ward like guy. One that would be in his prime and with us longer wouldve been perfect but this still improvement. I just get tired of the pattern. Pick the right guys to keep in the first place. Overpay ward and let kaberle go in the first place. Have foresight. The best teams do.
I could be described as a JR apologist, but I have to give him a mulligan on the Kaberle deal. The length was excessive, but the term was probably fair for all he did for us in 05-06. We had a coach that implored the defense to make quick decisions with the puck, mobility from the blueline, and a great first pass. Kaberle, at the time, was the first and last place to go for that in Carolina. He had a 40 point year and there were no real reasons to suspect that the injury he sustained would be of the career altering variety. I hate that deal as much as the next guy, but in the same situation I would have taken Kaberle over Ward for the better system fit for Carolina at the time.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I really don't see the purpose of posting things with the express intent of telling everybody else they were wrong and you were right. I'm not trying to have a go at you, i'm just saying that we all have predictions that come true or words that come out of our mouth first and then are picked up as a mantra for the fanbase but people will remember where these ideas originated. I seem to remember that the response to the Cullen trade was overwhelmingly positive at the time, anyways.

In essence, what i'm trying to say is that if you're right enough then people will heed your words. There is no need to point it out. We tend to remember the things folks say around here.

You took it that way, I didn't write it with those intentions. I'm not high on my horse and I don't feel the need to be a jackass or float my own boat. That's not me and it never will be. Personally I can't stand people with personalities as such. I never have and likely never will. Bleedgreen is one of my fav's to read around here. My post was no shot in the arm to anyone. I apologize if it came across that way to you or others. You should know by now things can be read and taken in the wrong way on a place such as this and i'll have you know this was one of them.

I'm simply saying the way it was, the atmosphere and formed opinions when Cullen was brought back, etc. Go back and read the threads, there were debates and discussion about it and how it would effect payroll down the road, effect this, that, etc. Take it how you please. It was a simple point of discussion and a reference.

I've been around a couple years here and have never put myself above anybody whether they have 35 posts or 3,200, never put a person down, thrown personal jabs, thrown dirt on anyone, whether they agree or disagree with my opinion.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-24-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I guess this is okay, though Aaron is long in the tooth and not the skater he used to be. but he still has the size and physicality.

I guess JR didn't hold the "Karl Rove" comment against him after all!

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
I guess this is okay, though Aaron is long in the tooth and not the skater he used to be. but he still has the size and physicality.

I guess JR didn't hold the "Karl Rove" comment against him after all!
Hell, JR's a Republican, he probably took that as a compliment.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
I could be described as a JR apologist, but I have to give him a mulligan on the Kaberle deal. The length was excessive, but the term was probably fair for all he did for us in 05-06. We had a coach that implored the defense to make quick decisions with the puck, mobility from the blueline, and a great first pass. Kaberle, at the time, was the first and last place to go for that in Carolina. He had a 40 point year and there were no real reasons to suspect that the injury he sustained would be of the career altering variety. I hate that deal as much as the next guy, but in the same situation I would have taken Kaberle over Ward for the better system fit for Carolina at the time.
I'd have to agree that at the time I thought Kaberle was an impressive d-man and a big part of the 06 Cup, and so I was okay with the deal even though it was long. Time and that injury proved me wrong, but I still think he will be a vauable guy somewhere...I think he lost heart some this season about the way things went and i don't know how much his heart was in things (especially when our approach shifted after Lavi was fired). But when we reinserted him late in the year he still showed a few flashes. If we had a different defensive consistency (ie size and physical), he might have been a better fit instead of another d-man who didn't like to hit.

Greener pastures might find a return to form, or as close as he can get post-injury.

Old
07-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
My day just got much better...

This makes all kinds of sense and I'm thrilled to have Ward back on the team. I do feel bad for Patty tho. I really hope someone gives the guy a shot...

Maybe Aaron shows up for the question and answer session tonight?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
UFA 4th line center possibilties of the top of my head

D. Armstrong
Peca
Malhotra
C. Gratton
Betts
Yelle
D. Moore
I would like to have Chris Gratton, that would be nice.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
i approve....

i also approve the fact that team management never really mentioned the internal cap this offseason and spending money based on team needs.

Thumbs up to JR

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:37 PM
caniac247

Here's Boston take:

Quote:
"He's been a tremendous soldier here," said GM Peter Chiarelli of Ward. "He brought experience, size and strength, and a stabilizing presence to the defense. Frankly, I wouldn't have traded him anywhere else but Carolina, because that's where his home is. I do appreciate the time, service, and personality Aaron brought to the organization."
JR has a new interview up on the main website. Hmmm after listening about the next change, one name comes to mind: Alex Tanguay

Although, I could still just be wishing that we get Staal a winger this year rather than wait. I mean JR has been working it this off season, why not one more.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post

Maybe Aaron shows up for the question and answer session tonight?
I just got the tweet that Aaron Ward will be at Summer Fest tonight

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Here's Boston take:

JR has a new interview up on the main website. Hmmm after listening about the next change, one name comes to mind: Alex Tanguay

Although, I could still just be wishing that we get Staal a winger this year rather than wait. I mean JR has been working it this off season, why not one more.
I haven't listened to it, but I doubt they make anything more than a 4th line C move, and that's not Tanguay. They don't have the cap room and payroll is creeping up there.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

I've been around a couple years here and have never put myself above anybody whether they have 35 posts or 3,200, never put a person down, thrown personal jabs, thrown dirt on anyone, whether they agree or disagree with my opinion.
I think you read too much into my response than intended. I was simply remarking that "everybody said one thing, I said another and it worked out my way", can come off as a little boastful. I personally don't like the idea of bragging rights and keeping score that way. We all sit around here and guess and speculate for laughs. We're going to be wrong sometimes, we're going to be right sometimes.... but rarely if ever have I seen anybody take a stand where 100% of the people here were against them and it worked out that they were right. To remark as such seems like grand hyperbole. It's not that you were particularly over the top, but it's way too prevalent around here for people to force the issue and try to generate credibility based on previous rightness. Just a general little thing that irks me a bit.

Old
07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
UFA 4th line center possibilties of the top of my head

D. Armstrong
Peca
Malhotra
C. Gratton
Betts
Yelle
D. Moore
How do you consider Moore a 4th line center? His salary demands are way too high.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

Lots of good quotes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

On Walker:
Quote :
"“Tell him I still have practice—I’ll get him back at practice,” Ward said with a smile. “It’s water under the bridge. I’m on his team now. … There’s a lot of emotion in the playoffs, both in the media and playing the game. … I’ll see Scott Walker when he comes in, shake his hand, tell him how grateful I am to be here, how excited I am to play with him, and it’ll be past.”"

Quote :
"Ward said Chiarelli called to notify him of the trade while he was playing golf at a Raleigh-area country club with two members of Kid Rock’s band.

Ward said Cole sent him a text message that said, “We’re getting the band back together.”"

Quote :
"“With this trade, our defense really takes shape,” Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. “We envision him complementing Joni Pitkanen(notes) well as a defensive pairing.”"

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think you read too much into my response than intended. I was simply remarking that "everybody said one thing, I said another and it worked out my way", can come off as a little boastful. I personally don't like the idea of bragging rights and keeping score that way. We all sit around here and guess and speculate for laughs. We're going to be wrong sometimes, we're going to be right sometimes.... but rarely if ever have I seen anybody take a stand where 100% of the people here were against them and it worked out that they were right. To remark as such seems like grand hyperbole. It's not that you were particularly over the top, but it's way too prevalent around here for people to force the issue and try to generate credibility based on previous rightness. Just a general little thing that irks me a bit.

Reading to much into something that was telling me I was trying to gloat and make a stance of 'I was right and you were wrong'? Give me a break. You called me out on a misunderstanding on your part my friend. I wrote it with an intention of one way and you clearly took it another. No big deal, it happens. I gave you a simple explanation that I thought was clear, why keep this going? You questioned my response, I replied to clear the air. Let it go. I already explained how I intended that post to be and if you cannot comprehend that than so be it. It was a simple point of reference to many points discussed 2 years ago in which tied to a reference made today, it's no big deal. It wasn't meant to be anyway.

If you don't like what I have to say, then PM me. I have told you what my intentions were and they were not to be taken as 'look here, I was right' and they were not a shot at anyone in any way, shape or form. There was absolutely no intention of forcing any credibility on my part.

I apologize you took it in that negative direction. I have justified the purpose of my first response to you, if it still doesn't sit well with you, so be it. No need to go back and forth and litter a thread with crap nobody wants to read.

I'm an easy guy to get along with, obviously.. never had single problem of any sorts around here in my time. I made a post that you took a certain way, I cleared the air... why keep it going? You reply with instances you don't like or care for, and it sounds like you're comparing them to that of what I said, yet those were not my intentions.

And btw... is that the pot calling the kettle black?

Quote:
I was nearly alone in the, "Babchuk will be back", campaign. I'm sorry to be so braggadocios guys but again... it's rare that i'm right about anything so i've got to make sure to underscore those times I get to be.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...Babchuk&page=2

You called me out for what now? What is it that irks you?

Mine, was a misunderstanding. This, seems pretty blatant to me.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
Lots of good quotes

On Walker:
Quote :
"“Tell him I still have practice—I’ll get him back at practice,” Ward said with a smile. “It’s water under the bridge. I’m on his team now. … There’s a lot of emotion in the playoffs, both in the media and playing the game. … I’ll see Scott Walker when he comes in, shake his hand, tell him how grateful I am to be here, how excited I am to play with him, and it’ll be past.”"

Quote :
"Ward said Chiarelli called to notify him of the trade while he was playing golf at a Raleigh-area country club with two members of Kid Rock’s band.

Ward said Cole sent him a text message that said, “We’re getting the band back together.”"

Quote :
"“With this trade, our defense really takes shape,” Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. “We envision him complementing Joni Pitkanen(notes) well as a defensive pairing.”"
So the earlier post with the Blues Brothers clip was really bang-on?

Old
07-24-2009, 03:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
And we officially have my recommendations for our avatar themes this season.
1) We're getting the band back together
2) We're on a mission from God

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
How do you consider Moore a 4th line center? His salary demands are way too high.
Well noone has signed him yet....i merely threw his name out there since he is still available and no selfrespecting team views him as a top 6 guy so ill bet the asking price comes down in august

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
And we officially have my recommendations for our avatar themes this season.
1) We're getting the band back together
2) We're on a mission from God
That or the Island of Misfit Toys. The Brothers would probably be more recognizable though.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
Lots of good quotes

On Walker:
Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
Everything sounded great until I heard that. Ugh. I really hate the Corvo - Gleason pairing. It just doesn't work imo. I'd much rather see Timmy paired with Pitkanen and give Corvo - Ward a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
That or the Island of Misfit Toys. The Brothers would probably be more recognizable though.
Put me down for the Blues Brothers theme. One of my all time favourite movies. Either that or some kind of 'sloppy seconds' theme could work nicely as well.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Reading to much into something that was telling me I was trying to gloat and make a stance of 'I was right and you were wrong'? Give me a break. You called me out on a misunderstanding on your part my friend. I wrote it with an intention of one way and you clearly took it another. No big deal, it happens. I gave you a simple explanation that I thought was clear, why keep this going? You questioned my response, I replied to clear the air. Let it go. I already explained how I intended that post to be and if you cannot comprehend that than so be it. It was a simple point of reference to many points discussed 2 years ago in which tied to a reference made today, it's no big deal. It wasn't meant to be anyway.
It's fine that you tried to take credit for a stance that you claim few held if you want to do that. I just pointed out how it irked me a bit. I have zero problems with comprehension. You said you were the calm one while everybody was running for the razors about Cullen being back and how it would ruin our budget and time proved you right. That isn't a misunderstanding, that's exactly how you worded it. Plain and simple. I say step off your high horse and stop being so petty. Jesus H. There was nothing aggressive about my post and you respond to it with a damn novel claiming I was the one that misunderstood. Sadly, that was misguided. And it's not a big deal. I made a simple post. You could have responded with "point taken", and moved on. You choose to pursue it and tell me my interpretation was wrong.... which it wasn't. That's where I decided to "clear the air".

[quote=Guerzy]
If you don't like what I have to say, then PM me. I have told you what my intentions were and they were not to be taken as 'look here, I was right' and they were not a shot at anyone in any way, shape or form. There was absolutely no intention of forcing any credibility on my part.

I apologize you took it in that negative direction. I have justified the purpose of my first response to you, if it still doesn't sit well with you, so be it. No need to go back and forth and litter a thread with crap nobody wants to read.

I'm an easy guy to get along with, obviously.. never had single problem of any sorts around here in my time. I made a post that you took a certain way, I cleared the air... why keep it going? You reply with instances you don't like or care for, and it sounds like you're compairing them to that of what I said, yet those were not my intentions. [quote=guerzy]

There never would have been a continuation had you not decided to take it there. So we're here. This is of your creation. I'm not hard to get along with either provided I don't have to read somebody trying to rub the collective fanbase's nose in the fact that you were right about something that nobody even claimed. I don't recall anybody getting upset about the budget when Cullen came back. I'm sure you can find a few quotes to support that too, but couldn't we all find some to support whatever off the wall statement we wanted to endorse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy
And btw... let's call the kettle black, shall we?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...Babchuk&page=2

You called me out for what now? What is it that irks you?

Mine, was a misunderstanding. This, seems pretty blatant to me.
I was clearly showing a bit of self-deprecation in my prediction by underlining how rarely it is that i'm right. That is a clear cut case of being celebratory that something finally went the way you thought it would. I even admitted in the post that i'm hardly ever right about my predictions. I didn't bring it up seriously in the course of a conversation as a means to validate some future prediction. I.E. it was more of a joke than anything. But if somebody had quoted me and told me to snuff it, I probably would have reflected a bit and realized how dumb it was to get angry over somebody saying I was being a bit on the arrogant side. I think it's obvious to any casual observer that you're the one getting indignant about this and taking it one step further than it needs to go with every additional post you make.

Old
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Put me down for the Blues Brothers theme. One of my all time favourite movies. Either that or some kind of 'sloppy seconds' theme could work nicely as well.
Maybe we could make it the Ward brothers (though they're not related).

"Wardo" Cam Ward
Aaron Ward
Ray "The Wizard" Whitney
Chad "Pest" LaRose
Joe "Jose" Corvo
Tim "Too Big" Gleason
Tom "Bones" Kostopolous
Tuomo "Blue Ruu" Ruutu
Mike "Guitar" Murphy
Eric "Mr. April" Staal

Some work, others don't

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
GIN ANTONIC

****'s gettin' real in this thread... like mad real. Maybe we should stay on topic?

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote