HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

09-10 Expectations

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2009, 08:24 AM
-PrO-B1-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
09-10 Expectations

Hey guys congrats on landing Hedman, Ashton and Ohlund. Looks like a successful offseason for you guys thus far. Anyways I was wondering, with these additions and the bolstering of your defence along with Foster how do you guys feel your team will realistically end up in the standings? Personally I feel they could be a threat in the east if they find themselves a solid tender as they have scoring up front with solid defence to back it. Your opinions?

Old
07-09-2009, 08:37 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

We have a solid goaltender, as long as hes healthy.

Realistically... i'd say a 9 or 10 slot finish would be impressive.

Old
07-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Atleast beat Washington ONCE.

Old
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
At the end of the year not hoping we lose to get Taylor Hall is all I want.

07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
CSampson

I'm skeptical and hesitant to say it...but I think we could make playoffs?

Old
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Hockeyfan02

I'm waiting until September to make a prediction. A backup goalie is going to be signed from the sounds of it and I think there's a trade on the way with all the d-men under contract. With the roster as it is right now, I think this is a team that can compete for a playoff spot. At the very least, it should be a team that's not in the front row at the draft.

Old
07-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Im pleased if:
- Smitty stays healthy and continues to play well
- Hedman gets into the game and plays solid
- Our defense stands up better than last season, reducing the amount of cheap goals we gave away
- Our third periods are stronger than last season
- We win some shootouts
- Vinny bounces back

If those things happen we have a good chance on play-offs, which would be a great achievement.

07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I might be a tad bit optimistic, but I'm gonna say 7th seed. I really think this team has plenty of depth on the third/fourth line now and plenty on defense too. Our top scorers will be counted on heavily though.

Old
07-10-2009, 07:59 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

I don't want to think of losses as good things towards the end of the year, if they can challenge for a playoff spot i would be ecstatic.

Old
07-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

7-10 spot in the eastern conference. But who knows?

Old
07-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Ace2008

6th seed as ovechkin gets a little roughed up midseason and the caps slip...but atlanta is a bit too improved to just float for another top 10 pick...they'll probably be some wars first

Old
07-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Rschmitz

Make a strong showing in the playoffs

Old
07-16-2009, 07:11 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I just expect not to be at the bottom of the standings any longer. This team should be in the running for a playoff spot, if we get it....great. If not, at least this team is headed in the right direction.

Anything more than just making the playoffs.... HUGE BONUS.

Old
07-18-2009, 08:43 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I'm not the biggest admirer of the Bolts, but I like a lot of the players on your team (minus Malone for obvious reasons ), so I for one am hoping you guys make a solid comeback this year. A few things will dictate your success though:

1) Star players gotta play like STAR PLAYERS. Vinny L. and St. Louis will have to carry the load once again this season, but if Malone, Stamkos, and Prospal can chip in with at least 60 points each (maybe at least 50 in Prospal's case) then your offense will have very few problems.

2) Hedman! I like the way this kid plays, and if he cracks the the roster out of camp (which I'm confident he will) and manages to have a solid rookie campaign, then that alone will be a HUGE boost to Tampa's defensive situation.

3) Goaltending. Your goaltending depth is relatively young and inexperienced to say the least, but I think Smith has the potential to be at least a solid 1A goalie in this league. Perhaps Helenius will challenge him for that #1 spot? Niittymaki will bring some decent veteran experience to the fold though.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:05 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
3) Goaltending. Your goaltending depth is relatively young and inexperienced to say the least, but I think Smith has the potential to be at least a solid 1A goalie in this league. Perhaps Helenius will challenge him for that #1 spot? Niittymaki will bring some decent veteran experience to the fold though.
If Helenius gets anywhere near the starting spot on this team, we will be hoping for losses and praying for ping pong balls again in late march and early april.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
I'm not the biggest admirer of the Bolts, but I like a lot of the players on your team (minus Malone for obvious reasons ), so I for one am hoping you guys make a solid comeback this year. A few things will dictate your success though:

1) Star players gotta play like STAR PLAYERS. Vinny L. and St. Louis will have to carry the load once again this season, but if Malone, Stamkos, and Prospal can chip in with at least 60 points each (maybe at least 50 in Prospal's case) then your offense will have very few problems.

2) Hedman! I like the way this kid plays, and if he cracks the the roster out of camp (which I'm confident he will) and manages to have a solid rookie campaign, then that alone will be a HUGE boost to Tampa's defensive situation.

Potential to be a "solid 1A goalie"? You didn't watch him last year did you? He is a #1 goalie right now.

Old
07-19-2009, 10:42 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Potential to be a "solid 1A goalie"? You didn't watch him last year did you? He is a #1 goalie right now.
I did watch him last year actually. He has a lot of talent, and I'm not denying that. At the same time though it takes more than 1 season as a starter (having played half the scheduel) to consider a guy to be a legitimate, full-fledged #1 goalie in my opinion. This upcoming season will be a true test for his potential as the team's #1, so it's more of a make or break audition for him than anything else.

Old
07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
VoteNOB

I expect this team to make the playoffs. 7th or 8th seed.

Old
07-22-2009, 07:11 AM
TBFan

Not sure if they will make the playoffs, but I would expect them to compete for a playoff spot.

Old
07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
STRANGE VICTORY

if we don't take home the cup it's a failed season. My optimism rises throughout the off season and it has just reached cup or bust level.

Old
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Ace2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I might be a tad bit optimistic, but I'm gonna say 7th seed. I really think this team has plenty of depth on the third/fourth line now and plenty on defense too. Our top scorers will be counted on heavily though.

if smith stands tall and the coaching maximizes one the talents of a very deep talent pool this should be a playoff team but winning the division probably won't happen just yet so somewhere 5th-8th

although funny enough how 5th-8th might only be a spread of 5 or 6 pts

Closed Thread