HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petteri Nokelainen re-signs with Anaheim (for 2010-2011 season)

Old
07-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Jimgrayson

vCash: 500
Petteri Nokelainen re-signs with Anaheim (for 2010-2011 season)

1 year, 950k per capgeek

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=70501&pos=F

Jimgrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Go_Krog*

cool i guess. kinda out of nowhere.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Solid deal. Keep up the good work Murph!

Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 02:37 PM
sammyp

Send a message via AIM to sammyp
Looks like overpayment to me.

sammyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyp View Post
Looks like overpayment to me.
I sort of agree with you, yet I still think he can play better sans injury. Hopfully this season will be better for him.

I'll retain judgement until the season starts, maybe even mid season.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

For his play last season, it seems like a slight overpayment. Relative to his contract last season, it seems alright. Basically it just says he was a tad overpaid last season.

For comparison, Sutherby costs 813 k.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 04:06 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

nice sign, would have given him around 750 k to 800 k.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 04:24 PM
bumperkisser

I dont mind givin him 950k its a BIT expensive but its not bad at all

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

I guess Murray's betting in favor of Nokelainen having a breakout year. We get one season of him at a bargain price if that happens. If not, it's not a terrible overpayment.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
i don't think he's going to have a breakout year, but he's a really good checking forward. better than he's gotten credit for. i'd take him over captain hook and penalty box moen without hesitation. maybe dirk can come in here and tell me again how ridiculous it is to think he's better than moen. moen was ****ing terrible since the cup win. sammy was the only good thing about that line over the last two seasons. nokelainen is at least a really good step in the right direction to rebuilding a solid checking line.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Paul4587

Pretty low risk signing with some potential reward. So long as he doesn't regress then it's not too much of an overpayment.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
I guess Murray's betting in favor of Nokelainen having a breakout year. We get one season of him at a bargain price if that happens. If not, it's not a terrible overpayment.
Which is exactly why Murray should have waited until at least half way through the season to do this. This is a bad signing IMO. Where does he fit on this team? From all of the line combos we've had in the other thread it seems like his options are checking line and 4th line center. Dumb to resign him this early IMO.

Murray is trying to make some of the trades he did last deadline work. He's made two questionable resignings this offseason that had to do with his deadline transactions:

Resigning EC - Where does he fit on this team?
Resigning Nokke - Why resign him at a raise when he hasn't done much to earn it?

950 is definitely a big overpayment IMO. Maybe he's thinking that RC will try an all Fin lineup with Nokke-Koivu-Selanne and he's trying to resign him now rather then when his numbers are way up? Either way... 950k is a lot for someone who right now doesn't have a definite role on the team.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
.. 950k is a lot for someone who right now doesn't have a definite role on the team.
Obviously someone thinks differently than most of us on the board, otherwise he wouldn't have been re-signed.

I think there is more upside than down.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:32 PM
SmackCrackleNPop

I'm okay with it, probably too early to resign him but I can see his potential as a solid checking line/4th line center who plays responsibly. Not a bad skater.

The EC signing though? Eh....

I'd feel it'd be a good signing without signing EC, not EC and Nokia. With those two signings, seems like a waste No idea where EC is gonna be.

Last edited by SmackCrackleNPop: 07-25-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: one more comment
SmackCrackleNPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:56 AM
bumperkisser

I'm okay with the EC signing
He has POTENTIAL to honestly be a great player and its not like we signed him for really expensive so I'm fine with it.. As for nokia, i stated that I personally think the signing is ok.. not great like the other 1's but this isnt a bad signing by any means IMO

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Go_Krog*

its not much of an overpayment considering his QO is $935k. and he's not Christensen level garbage where he'd accept under QO money.

Old
07-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
How is his cap hit counted? Is it the average value for both this season and next season?

I know that's how it normally works, but in this case when he has 2 separate contracts I'm not sure. Will his cap hit be $0,850 this year and $0,950 next?

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
How is his cap hit counted? Is it the average value for both this season and next season?

I know that's how it normally works, but in this case when he has 2 separate contracts I'm not sure. Will his cap hit be $0,850 this year and $0,950 next?
850 this year, 950 next.

Old
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Which is exactly why Murray should have waited until at least half way through the season to do this. This is a bad signing IMO. Where does he fit on this team? From all of the line combos we've had in the other thread it seems like his options are checking line and 4th line center. Dumb to resign him this early IMO.

Murray is trying to make some of the trades he did last deadline work. He's made two questionable resignings this offseason that had to do with his deadline transactions:

Resigning Nokke - Why resign him at a raise when he hasn't done much to earn it?

950 is definitely a big overpayment IMO. Maybe he's thinking that RC will try an all Fin lineup with Nokke-Koivu-Selanne and he's trying to resign him now rather then when his numbers are way up? Either way... 950k is a lot for someone who right now doesn't have a definite role on the team.
Actually it is a great idea to resign him. My guess is the Ducks are going to develop him into the next Pahlsoon. He is alot better than R. Niedermayer and I would even take him Moen, Miller, and Carter. As for a role, how about a member of the checking line. This year he can play alongside Marchant. However, Marchant is getting old and we are going to need a replacement.... now we have one.

Nokia - Marchant - x

then x - Nokia - x

Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 01:03 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:

Half-way through a breakout season, an agent would have to be mental to sign for another year at that little a raise. I really don't see how one year at less than a millon dollars is a "big overpayment". I also don't see how it's "dumb" to sign it now as opposed to mid-way through. Less of a gamble, perhaps, but you're not gambling much to begin with. A slight difference in strategy from what you hold, but dumb seems pretty strong.

The sense I have from a lot of the threads is that you put a lot of stock in filing players into specific roles that they have proven to be able to fill (I'm taking most of this from the above comment, and on the lines thread). My guess is that Murray is focused more on increasing the overall talent and ability level of the team, and letting the players play themselves into specific roles. Niether Nokeleinin or Christiensen have a specific role right now, but Murray thinks that they have the abilty to play themselves into a role that will make their signings look like an underpayment. I think it's the game that GM's have to play now with the cap, trying to have a little vision and lock in bargains before they prove it.

I feel good about the Nokelinein gamble, not so much about the Christiensen one, but the worst-case senario in either situation won't be very hard to mop up.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:

As has been pointed out, Noke's QO is only slightly less, and if he does have a good season, his price goes up, even halfway through the year. It's a pretty low-risk gamble.

An extra fraction of a million won't make or break anything in 10-11 the way Murray's set it up, and it could turn out very nicely.

Old
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
As has been pointed out, Noke's QO is only slightly less, and if he does have a good season, his price goes up, even halfway through the year. It's a pretty low-risk gamble.

An extra fraction of a million won't make or break anything in 10-11 the way Murray's set it up, and it could turn out very nicely.
That'd be a great avatar if the guy didn't have a **** and balls for a hand...oh wait, i see now...

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
That'd be a great avatar if the guy didn't have a **** and balls for a hand...oh wait, i see now...
All I see is a guy with orange chest hair in a ushanka holding a shovel (or something) in his non-**** and balls hand.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 09:03 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
I didn't notice the **** and balls until you mentioned it, now that's all I see...

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Whoops.

I guess I'll just use it as a rorschach.