Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Patrick Eaves anyone?

Old
07-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Patrick Eaves anyone?

I was just looking at Patrick Eaves' stats this last season and at first glance they look pretty unimpressive:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=67785

but earlier today I was looking at some advanced statistics and I was pretty surprised to see that Patrick Eaves was one of the very best defensive forwards in the league last season. Eaves played against pretty average competition last season (QUALCOMP = -.03) and with pretty ****** linemates (QUALTEAM = -.22). His GAON/60 (Goals Against while on ice per 60 minutes) was 1.39 last season, which was best on the team by quite a bit and among regular forwards that played "average" competition last season Eaves was 3rd best in the league. What makes this very impressive in my opinion is that Eaves played 1:35 a game (on average) on the PK last season, which may not be a ton of time but is significant in that usually players that play regularly on the PK have higher GAON/60 scores then a player that doesn't play on the PK, because the stat doesn't seperate out PK ice time. Alot of Goons for example have good numbers in this area because they don't get any tough ice time and they play against weak opposition - the fact that Patrick Eaves plays the tough minutes and in a checking role in combination with his GAON/60 score tells me that he is a player worth looking at.

The fact that he will be bought out of his contract by Boston means Dallas could likely get this guy for very cheap. If there are any doubts about Ray Sawada's ability to play from the start of the year I think Dallas should look at bringing in Eaves to take the spot on the 4th line and play on the PK. If there was an injury to one of the wingers on the top 3 lines he could easily move up to the 3rd line and do very well.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm all over it.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC View Post
I'm all over it.
you forgot the

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 05:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Pass.

I would much rather the Stars signed Malhotra. He has been with one team for the last handfull of seasons, which has really let him grow into a quality two-way/defensive center. Great faceoff guy, etc. The advanced stats you researched are interesting, but I'm not sure it goes beyond that for me with Eaves. Eaves has been passed over and passed around by teams/organizations in his short career too often for my liking. He doesn't seem to do much to impress his employers it would seem.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Pass.

I would much rather the Stars signed Malhotra. He has been with one team for the last handfull of seasons, which has really let him grow into a quality two-way/defensive center. Great faceoff guy, etc. The advanced stats you researched are interesting, but I'm not sure it goes beyond that for me with Eaves. Eaves has been passed over and passed around by teams/organizations in his short career for my liking. He doesn't seem to do much to impress his employers it would seem.
here's what puck prospectus has to say about Maholtra:

Quote:
Remember when Manny Malhotra was drafted early in the first round by the New York Rangers and pegged as the next great two-way center? Well, that never exactly turned out to be the case. Malhotra has turned into a very reliable defensive center, but his offensive skills leave much to be desired.

Malhotra can play at even strength, on the penalty kill and a little bit on the power play (however, his power play time was more so due to Columbus injuries). His 58% faceoff percentage is tremendous and would be an asset to any team. Malhotra doesn’t throw his body around recklessly, but still does hit (just under one hit per-game). Additionally, he was second in terms of blocked shots for Blue Jackets forwards (just behind Mike Peca). So, Malhotra can help a team in a variety of ways. In effect, he is arguably the best player remaining on the UFA market—aside from Alex Tanguay.

After making $1.2 million last season, Malhotra is almost certainly looking for a raise and a long-term deal. Otherwise, he would have been signed by now. Expect the character center to land a three-year deal, in the $5.5-$6 million range if things work out well. If not, he may have to bide his time on a one-year $2 million contract for the time being.
so yeah Maholtra basically address the same need and is probably the more reliable player, but like the article said if he was willing to sign for around 1 mill he already would have done so with some team. Eaves would be quite a bit cheaper, and brings alot of the same stuff Maholtra does (except the faceoffs).

Old
07-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Chad_

Maholtra or no one. I am quite surprised he hasn't already found a new home yet. Eaves is, in my humble opinion, nothing the team already doesn't have. Malhotra, on the other hand, is quite a good player in the right situations, one (PK) of which was a very weak spot in last year's team.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Eaves is basically a smaller, right-shooting Joel Lundqvist. Both were not the same after chronic shoulder injuries. I don't know about you, but I want Ray Sawada out there running around trying to send people through the glass.

As for Malhotra, he's Jeff Halpern with less skill. Faceoffs are definitely a weakness on the team, but I wouldn't sacrifice that much offense in order to address it.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Starsdude

Malhotra would be better than Peterson-Toby can be the 13th and Barch 14th forward

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
TrueGrit

Having watched him in Ottawa I must say that he is the perfect example that you do not have to be good at hockey to make the nhl

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:05 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Eaves is basically a smaller, right-shooting Joel Lundqvist. Both were not the same after chronic shoulder injuries. I don't know about you, but I want Ray Sawada out there running around trying to send people through the glass.

As for Malhotra, he's Jeff Halpern with less skill. Faceoffs are definitely a weakness on the team, but I wouldn't sacrifice that much offense in order to address it.
Agreed on Sawada. He appears to be a solid bottom six role player.

I agree with part of your assessment of Malhotra vs. Halpern. I will say this though. Halpern wouldn't put up numbers like he did in Washington where he had some 40 pt seasons on the Stars as currently constructed. He was getting lots of ice-time there; time that he wouldn't be getting/didn't get while in Dallas. His point production in Dallas was more in line with Malhotra's over the last few years....10 goals and 25-35 pts. I'll take that production from a checking line center. In fact, while those totals aren't a ton, the consistency with which Malhotra produces is a great thing IMO. You know what you're getting with him in that regard. I also think people are downplaying his skill. He's not a world class talent, but he shows occasional glimpses of what scouts saw in him to make him drafted so high. Also, Malhotra is still a better FO guy than Halpern (although I like Halpern being a right shot), Manny is bigger, a better skater, and generally a more rugged player than Halpern.

I know it probably won't happen, but I thought I'd make the case for signing the guy. Regardless...I think Malhotra would be an upgrade for this team, while Eaves is a player who I really don't want anything to do with. Nothing against the guy personally, but this seems like a perfect case of draft status directly influencing a player's place in the league. 1st round draft pick gets a shot with one team and doesn't impress...traded and gets a second chance and again doesn't really impress, father is a well-respected coach at Wisconsin... I suppose it's just the way things happen, but guys who are 1st rounders always get the benefit of the doubt where their late round brethren don't. Eventually that means they have somewhere over 200 NHL games played and are seemingly "in" the league and they get another chance, so on and so forth. Good luck to him, not in Dallas.

Old
07-26-2009, 02:05 AM
ScubaSteve*

No.

On to the next stupid idea. Who's up this time? Addiction?

Last edited by ScubaSteve*: 07-26-2009 at 02:16 AM.
ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 02:22 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
No.

On to the next stupid idea. Who's up this time? Addiction?
wow. didn't realize everyone hated patrick eaves.

All I can do with some of these guys is look at their stats, and Eaves had a very good year in 2009, atleast for a player in a checking role. I wouldn't have posted this if I realized that everyone was so against the idea, but I still think that if Sawada is not ready Dallas definetly needs to look at bringing in atleast 1 more depth player, and I have to say considering our current financial problems the fact is that Maholtra is likely out of the question.

What we're looking at is the team adding a solid 3rd / 4th line guy for under 1 million, or if Sawada is ready then maybe we can go that way. from what I saw of Sawada he didn't impress that much, and another couple months in the AHL may be best for him.

Old
07-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I would rather give the spot to one of our young guys....Eaves could just be another Parrish, albeit a younger one. Great to have at first, but after a while you're hoping he's in the pressbox every game.

07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
catters078

What would it cost to have him in the minors ??

I think he would be a servicable RW call up for when / if Lehtinen misses games...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
What we're looking at is the team adding a solid 3rd / 4th line guy for under 1 million, or if Sawada is ready then maybe we can go that way. from what I saw of Sawada he didn't impress that much, and another couple months in the AHL may be best for him.

I will go out on a pretty short limb here and say that I think right nowRay Sawada is a better player than Eaves. Sawada may never have the 20 goal season Eaves had in his rookie year, but I will take Sawada's combination of size and skating ability over Eaves. What exactly weren't you impressed with by Sawada is my question. He played a total of 5 NHL games and scored a goal, and had no PIMs. He had the obligatory "cup of coffee" last year. Not exactly a huge sample size. Besides, if your argument is that Sawada wasn't ready last year based on what you saw, he still went back to Manitoba and played a ton more games, including a 22 game playoff run (which in my mind is huge for a player of his type)...in those playoffs he also only had 4 PIMs. He is defensively responsible, and doesn't hurt his team by taking bad penalties...and he finishes his checks. What more do you really want from a bottom six player? I don't hate Eaves as a player, I would just prefer to see if one of our guys can do the same job as an outsider.

Old
07-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Alistar

Quote:
I will go out on a pretty short limb here and say that I think right nowRay Sawada is a better player than Eaves. Sawada may never have the 20 goal season Eaves had in his rookie year, but I will take Sawada's combination of size and skating ability over Eaves. What exactly weren't you impressed with by Sawada is my question. He played a total of 5 NHL games and scored a goal, and had no PIMs. He had the obligatory "cup of coffee" last year. Not exactly a huge sample size. Besides, if your argument is that Sawada wasn't ready last year based on what you saw, he still went back to Manitoba and played a ton more games, including a 22 game playoff run (which in my mind is huge for a player of his type)...in those playoffs he also only had 4 PIMs. He is defensively responsible, and doesn't hurt his team by taking bad penalties...and he finishes his checks. What more do you really want from a bottom six player? I don't hate Eaves as a player, I would just prefer to see if one of our guys can do the same job as an outsider.
Sawada basically had a nice 1st NHL game on his birthday then went invisible - I don't want to knock the guy but if you remember his goal was on an extremely weak backhand from the faceoff circle that somehow dribbled through Roloson and into the net - not anything to brag about

other then that goal he had 1 additional shot in those 5 games and threw 12 hits in that time, which isn't bad or anything but I kind of expected more from somebody billed as being a really physical energy player looking to make an impression. It might have been that because of all the injury woes he played with really bad line-mates and I know that he's not really an impact guy like James Neal that can do it all by himself, but Sawada just didn't do much to impress me during his stay in Dallas. It's too bad he got injured after he got sent down because that probably prevented him from getting called up again...

Patrick Eaves does all that **** too you know. Top 5 on the team in hits, only 31 PIM in 73 games which is not bad at all considering he played in a checking role, and as I posted in the OP he was one of the most defensively responsible players in the league last season - his score in GAON/60 is basically unheard of for players that kill penalties. Really I see Eaves as a guy that does pretty much everything Sawada does, but Sawada still may be 1 or 2 years away from putting it all togather and being an every day player. So yeah, If Sawada is ready to go and the team has confidence in him there's no need to get Patrick Eaves, I think I said that in my OP.

Old
07-27-2009, 05:43 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Interesting you mention Sawada's skating ability as a plus. I'm no scout, but he struck me as painfully slow in the glimpse we had of him last season. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by eartotheground: 07-27-2009 at 12:55 PM.
eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Sawada basically had a nice 1st NHL game on his birthday then went invisible - I don't want to knock the guy but if you remember his goal was on an extremely weak backhand from the faceoff circle that somehow dribbled through Roloson and into the net - not anything to brag about

other then that goal he had 1 additional shot in those 5 games and threw 12 hits in that time, which isn't bad or anything but I kind of expected more from somebody billed as being a really physical energy player looking to make an impression. It might have been that because of all the injury woes he played with really bad line-mates and I know that he's not really an impact guy like James Neal that can do it all by himself, but Sawada just didn't do much to impress me during his stay in Dallas. It's too bad he got injured after he got sent down because that probably prevented him from getting called up again...

Patrick Eaves does all that **** too you know. Top 5 on the team in hits, only 31 PIM in 73 games which is not bad at all considering he played in a checking role, and as I posted in the OP he was one of the most defensively responsible players in the league last season - his score in GAON/60 is basically unheard of for players that kill penalties. Really I see Eaves as a guy that does pretty much everything Sawada does, but Sawada still may be 1 or 2 years away from putting it all togather and being an every day player. So yeah, If Sawada is ready to go and the team has confidence in him there's no need to get Patrick Eaves, I think I said that in my OP.
I do remember his goal, and it was somewhat lucky. Even luck takes being in the right place at the right time though. 12 hits over 5 games, while averaging around 9 mins/gm isn't bad though. Part of hockey, even in a bottom-six role, still involves the puck, which makes running around hitting everything in sight pretty silly.

I think we're talking about the difference between a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious. They're very similar players. A big part of your argument for Eaves is those advanced statistics, which I agree are intrigueing. I can't argue with your perception of Sawada, because it is just that - your perception. I can, however, argue my perception of him, which I believe is more positive than yours. Based on his NHL expectations since his draft day, Sawada has done nothing to make me think he will not reach them. He was never billed as the most electrifying player. He was always thought to be a guy with size and a defensive mentality who finishes his checks. I disagree though that he is 2 years away from "putting it all together". He will continue to get better, but as of right now I only see him helping the Stars.

Old
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
Interesting you mention Sawada's skating ability as a plus. I'm no scout, but he struck me as painfully slow in the glimpse we had of him last season. Hope I'm wrong.
I've been impressed with his skating the times I've seen him in Frisco. At the development camp last year he was one of the better skaters period - not just for his size. I would say his speed is similar to Neal's, but his stride appears more efficient. HF talent analysis of him is pretty similar.

Old
07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
haf

I actually like Patrick Eaves. I think he gets overly dogged because of his draft position. He is not a gamebreaker type forward but I think he will make a solid two way forward for his career. One who can move up and down a lineup.

If we had a spot for him I would actually take him as a bargain player but I don't think we do.

Morrow Ribeiro Fabian
Neal Richards Loui
Ott Modano Lehts
Peterson Sutherby Barch

I don't see a place for eaves except two things:
1) we have exactly one right shot amongst our forwards
2) I would LOVE to have barch out of the lineup at least sometimes
3) {Ok 3 things} he can be valuable as a depth forward

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:44 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
I don't see a place for eaves except two things:
1) we have exactly one right shot amongst our forwards
Sawada would be a right shot also...

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Don't know much about Eaves, but I don't think there's a lot of room in the forward corps right now, especially if you're trying to get Ott more ice time and have him continue to put of offensive numbers like last season.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote