HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010/2011 Prospects Thread

View Poll Results: Who will get the next forward call-up?
Jaffray 6 20.00%
Lundmark 17 56.67%
Stuart 0 0%
Other, post who. 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2009, 04:10 PM
jeremywilhelm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
As per the article and his stats, yes... he is getting better.
Are you obtuse? Backlund isn't getting better. I don't care what that "article" says. He is struggling majorly with any sort of consistency and hasn't played well since about the 12th game of the season.

I actually watch him play, I don't just check the stat sheets on AHL.com.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
As per the article and his stats, yes... he is getting better.

As per actually following the games, no, he's not starting to break out.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Stuart sat out the last game, can't see him being sat so he must be hurt now. AS for the question I think Lundmark has proved his worth while he was up with the team abit ago, but Jaffray has earned a shot for sure too. It would be between these two for sure.

Heat have a nice XMas break now, and don't play till the 27th & 28th in WPG. I'm going to the game on the 28th

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Beats By CoRD
Shoeless Hudler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
As per actually following the games, no, he's not starting to break out.
That is terrible, terrible news. Come on Backlund get your **** together.

Beats By CoRD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:37 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Backlund had a 2 point game on Saturday. I do agree though he definetly has been dissapointing so far. As for the poll I wouldn't count out Sutter or Van der Gulik. Both have a bit of experience and if we needed a bottom 6 guy I could see one of them being called up.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Lunatik*

it depends who gets hurt... but I would say Stuart in a bottom 6 role (if he is exempt from re-entry waivers like Lundmark)... and Lundmark in a top 6 role... it WILL NOT be Backlund for any role as he has been putrid... I say move the kid now while he has some value he is going to be a bust

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
curry67*

the last game i looked at he got a goal and a assist so maybe he is picking it up

curry67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Complacent Iggy

I think the Flames should call up Backlund give him a feel for what it's like to be an NHL regular.

At the same time he could learn from guys like Iggy, and Dion what it takes to be a consistent pro. If he's having trouble with consistency then what a better pro to learn from than the Captain?

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry67 View Post
the last game i looked at he got a goal and a assist so maybe he is picking it up
a goal and an assist and a -1. The guy is decent on the PP, but he has no jam even strength.

Bust? Hardly, he is 20 years old. He definitely needs to man up though.

Old
12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkipper View Post
I think the Flames should call up Backlund give him a feel for what it's like to be an NHL regular.

At the same time he could learn from guys like Iggy, and Dion what it takes to be a consistent pro. If he's having trouble with consistency then what a better pro to learn from than the Captain?
Phaneuf would not be the model man for consistencey....Iggy has his moments to i guess

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
HighLifeMan

Just a question.
How many of you guys actually watch the heat play?
I doubt many of you.
Sure backlund's stats are not what we all expected, but give the kid a break he is their to develop his overall game.
I myself have not seen the heat play but have heard that he is playing for the most part on the 3rd line.
Way to early to call him a bust..

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFann View Post
Just a question.
I doubt many of you.
Sure backlund's stats are not what we all expected, but give the kid a break he is their to develop his overall game.
I myself have not seen the heat play but have heard that he is playing for the most part on the 3rd line.
Way to early to call him a bust..
I'm surprised how fast people are throwing him under the bus. I mean, we waited with Lombardi till he was 28 and now people are giving up on Backlund when he's barely past his teenage years?

People are getting way to spoiled by guys getting drafted and jumping straight into the league. Some players take time to develop.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFann View Post
Just a question.

I watch the Heat play as often as I can, via online streams. And if I can't watch, I listen to the games as often as I can.

For the record, I'm in no way calling him a bust. The kid is talented and I'm hoping he develops properly and has a bright future with the Flames. What I'm saying is that he's been a disappointment this year in Abbotsford. The knock on him has always been inconsistency, and I can see why.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I'm surprised how fast people are throwing him under the bus. I mean, we waited with Lombardi till he was 28 and now people are giving up on Backlund when he's barely past his teenage years?

People are getting way to spoiled by guys getting drafted and jumping straight into the league. Some players take time to develop.
The thing with Lombardi is that he was the best at something. (Do I even need to say what?) With a guys like lombardi the reward is huge if we would have been able to develop his puck skills. You watch a guy like Afinogenov. His hands are GOOD (but nothing spectacular), but they are good enough to keep up with his feet, and that is what makes him the PPG player Lombo never was.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
I'll be honest, I haven't seen Backlund play at all this season, but I'm shocked that people are labeling him a bust so soon. This guy just left Sweden to ride the buses in the AHL. Perhaps he needs more time to adjust.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Complacent Iggy

I don't think people are throwing Baklund under the bus. I think most fans are becoming skeptical when it comes to our first round draft picks. The team is drafting lower in the first round than usual but it's become a little frustrating as a fan to see guys like Chuko, flounder in the A while a guy like Boyd play on the big club when they came in the same draft year. So some of us have a here we go again mentality.

Remember the high praise we had for Chuko when he was drafted? Every fan loves their teams first round pick, just with ours most never really pan out.

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:26 AM
jeremywilhelm

Who called him a bust? I watch almost every heat game. He just has no effort most of the time. Looks really outclassed by the guys who are older than him. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Old
12-23-2009, 01:01 AM
abracanada

Swedish kids play crap in the AHL. I was afraid Backlund would perform like this. Bergfors played in the AHL for years and his numbers were less than impressive. He is number four points man on the Devils now as a rookie. NHL rookie numbers that are comparable to his best production in the AHL. That style there is not something they are used to coming from Sweden.

It may take a while for him but the talent is there. Just have to give him the time.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Swedish kids play crap in the AHL. I was afraid Backlund would perform like this. Bergfors played in the AHL for years and his numbers were less than impressive. He is number four points man on the Devils now as a rookie. NHL rookie numbers that are comparable to his best production in the AHL. That style there is not something they are used to coming from Sweden.

It may take a while for him but the talent is there. Just have to give him the time.
I think thats an excellent comparison. Well done.

Old
12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
jeremywilhelm

I'm willing to give him time. I haven't said we should give up on him, just informing you guys on how weak he has been.

Old
12-23-2009, 02:12 PM
GoFlames

Hmmm I hope Backlund can pick it up. Hoping for big things from him in the future. Has anyone seen Nemisz play lately? I keep being away when the heat are at home but hope to catch a game or two in January.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Hmmm I hope Backlund can pick it up. Hoping for big things from him in the future. Has anyone seen Nemisz play lately? I keep being away when the heat are at home but hope to catch a game or two in January.
People have been saying he's been next to invisible in the two exhibition games for WJC. His stats in the OHL look great though. 24 goals, 24 assists in 34 games.

Then again, he is playing on a ridiculously stacked team, so who knows.

Old
12-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Stewie Griffin
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

vCash: 13000
Side note - you can watch the Canada / Finland game using TSN video on demand

http://watch.tsn.ca/2010-world-jr-ch...nd/#clip249184

(Could have saved myself from a couple of hours of mine sweeper today had I known this)

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I think thats an excellent comparison. Well done.
I agree as well. Dean McAmmond played for an AHL team during the lockout. He said in an interview that it's tough to get used to the league because there's less flow to the game and there's even more emphasis on dump and chase, unskilled hockey.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post

Backlund also struggled against older players in Sweden... the only reasons we have to hold out hope he is going to be good is his numbers as a 19 year old in the WHL... or in the WJC... IMO thats not enough... Backlund will be no more than a 3rd line center if he ever plays everyday in the NHL

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote