HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hope Klesla is Okay

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 09:20 PM
paxtang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
What makes me think you don't know what you're talking about is that you said "Draper started to whined like he usually does" or something to that effect. Draper isn't anymore of a whiner than any other player in this league. Maltby is the whiner. That would make somebody think you don't know what you're talking about...
They both do it, quite often, and I have an equal dislike for both, more so for Maltby because of his visor.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:24 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
They both do it, quite often, and I have an equal dislike for both, more so for Maltby because of his visor.
The I guess every player in the NHL does it that often...

If you watch every red wing game, then you're generally a fan and if you do watch every game, you'll see Draper isn't anymore of a whiner than anyone else in this league.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:42 PM
shveik

I think Maltby gets a lot of unfair blame around these boards. Normally he is just finishing his checks, but he hits a lot and it is upsetting to the opposition But I am really pissed at Maltby for this hit. It looked like he was cruising behind Klesla for a few seconds and timed the hit so that Klesla gets impaled on the edge of the boards. The door was open all this time, and not at the last second as some suggest. Then when the time was right he pushed him onto the edge. The only way I can believe that it was unintentional is if Maltby is incapable of calculating the time and distance with this precision. Otherwise, it really looked calculated.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
No way in hell I can go about defending what malty did. But why in the world would you hate a player just cause they wear a visor?

Old
03-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Yea, the door was open a good 3-5 seconds before the hit. Maltby was the last one on his line to go off (McCarty, I think, already was off, hence the door being open). I'm with shveik, he's either really stupid or really dirty.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grift69
No way in hell I can go about defending what malty did. But why in the world would you hate a player just cause they wear a visor?
I certainly can't speak for him, but the reason a lot of people hate players who wear a visor is because they hide behind it. Now, this is alright for players who aren't very inclined to physical play or pest tactics, but for a player who plays that way and doesn't want to be held accountable is frustrating to opposing fans. You can't exactly get into fisticuffs with a player who has an inch of plexiglass surrounding his face.

Yes, i'm aware of all the other uses for a faceshield besides hiding. But if your game is centered around making people angry, a faceshield seems a bit cowardly.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:28 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Yes, i'm aware of all the other uses for a faceshield besides hiding. But if your game is centered around making people angry, a faceshield seems a bit cowardly.
If he gets hit in the face again, he can lose his vision. he had a career threatning eye injury years ago, I THINK in the minors. So he has no choice.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Egil

Arvedsson was never the same player after getting hit into the corner of the open door. I do believe he lost some intestine on that play. I also think Renberg may have had a similar injury, if I am not mistaken....

Old
03-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Higgy4

Gee, what do my eyes see? More OVERANALYZING of something on these boards? Never...not here!

If the door is closed, its a none issue. A line change is happening, the door is open...thus a normal, clean hit becomes a nasty looking FREAK injury.

Thats pretty much the end of the story. Now we are saying that players need to be aware of when the players on the benches are opening and closing the doors??

Cmon...it was 100% and accidental injury. These discussions are so damn useless.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
I certainly can't speak for him, but the reason a lot of people hate players who wear a visor is because they hide behind it. Now, this is alright for players who aren't very inclined to physical play or pest tactics, but for a player who plays that way and doesn't want to be held accountable is frustrating to opposing fans. You can't exactly get into fisticuffs with a player who has an inch of plexiglass surrounding his face.

Maltby has stated MANY times that if it were HIS decision, he would play without a shield. But with his previous eye injury, the team doctors will not allow him to take it off. Would you play without a shield if one more eye injury could cause serious vision problems for the rest of your life?

But no...you are insinutating that Maltby is hypocritical for wearing a sheild while being a physical player? Dumb. He has to wear it...or he puts himself at risk of serious vision problems. Doctors orders.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Higgy4

Just about EVERY player in the NHL could be, at one time or another, classified as a whiner. Sure...some more than others. There are numerous players that whine as much as, if not more than, Draper and Maltby. Every team has its whiners. Every single one. I am not saying that Drapes and Maltby dont whine...they tend to whine often. I just love how people point it out like they are the only 2 players in the entire league who do it. :lol

Old
03-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Randall Graves*

Considering Maltby is a dirty player and the fact that Klesla was in a compromising position and the fact Maltby shoved Klesla in the back of the numbers it wouldn't surprise me if Maltby was just being Maltby and trying to make a dirty play.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:56 PM
stu the grim reaper

Quote:
Well, my reasoning behind saying that Maltby was sneaky dirty is that i've seen quite a few, "there was nothing he could do" plays out of Maltby that have injured players.
i think its just because he has a rep, and these plays stick in your mind

i really feel like i havent seen maltby do anything dirty all season long

Old
03-31-2004, 10:57 PM
TheZodiac

Maltby is one of the dirtiest players in the NHL

Old
03-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
If he gets hit in the face again, he can lose his vision. he had a career threatning eye injury years ago, I THINK in the minors. So he has no choice.
anyone can lose their vision if they take a hit as bad as one that could end Maltby's career...he hides behind a visor he's an instigator. If you wanna talk **** be willing to not wear a visor and drop the gloves.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Maltby has stated MANY times that if it were HIS decision, he would play without a shield. But with his previous eye injury, the team doctors will not allow him to take it off. Would you play without a shield if one more eye injury could cause serious vision problems for the rest of your life?

But no...you are insinutating that Maltby is hypocritical for wearing a sheild while being a physical player? Dumb. He has to wear it...or he puts himself at risk of serious vision problems. Doctors orders.
Care to show me at which point in my post I said the name Maltby? Perhaps you're the one jumping the gun here. I was giving a general statement regarding the mindset of people against physical players who wear a visor. The only thing this post had to do with Maltby was the point came up in a discussion about Maltby.

Also, does having a serious face injury give a player a get out of jail free card? If so, there are certainly a lot of people who owe Sean Hill an apology for his dirty plays.

What player isn't putting himself at risk of losing his vision while playing hockey? How about serious head injuries, they can result in death. Does Eric Lindros, Jeremy Roenick, and Chris Pronger go out wearing pillows strapped to their head? They sure don't. I'm not saying that Maltby isn't supposed to play with a faceshield, i'm just saying accept the retribution you're going to invoke as far as your reputation is concerned.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:23 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
anyone can lose their vision if they take a hit as bad as one that could end Maltby's career...he hides behind a visor he's an instigator. If you wanna talk **** be willing to not wear a visor and drop the gloves.
so its more of a blind hatred, then logic behind your animosity. Cause I find that statement to be a tad bit Don Cherry-ish.

Screw the guy for wanting to play the sport he loves and Not put himself at risk to lose his vision. HE SHOULD BE A MAN, SUCK IT UP AND WING IT! You get hit in the face with a weak shot that causes you to lose your sight, TOO BAD SO SAD. AT LEAST YOU MADE SOME PEOPLE ON A MESSAGE BOARD THINK YER A MAN!

Old
03-31-2004, 11:27 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZodiac
Maltby is one of the dirtiest players in the NHL
I don't agree with that. For a guy that's constantly throwing hits and getting in people's faces, he rarely crosses the line. I definitely think he knew the door to the bench was open, but he probably was more interested in dumping Klesla into the bench, not injuring him.

The Columbus announcers brought up the point that the door shouldn't have been open. I'd like to see the doors stay closed during play. Maybe they could make a rule that if that door comes open, a bench minor is issued.

What's the word on Klesla? Looked like an upper thigh/hip sorta thing.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:29 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
What's the word on Klesla? Looked like an upper thigh/hip sorta thing.
he has a bruise, no serious injury

Doug McLean called it gutless, And Gallant said it was obvious he knew the door was opened.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:30 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I'd like to see the doors stay closed during play. Maybe they could make a rule that if that door comes open, a bench minor is issued.
So ...no more changing on the fly?

Old
03-31-2004, 11:32 PM
X8oD

Quote:
I'm not saying that Maltby isn't supposed to play with a faceshield, i'm just saying accept the retribution you're going to invoke as far as your reputation is concerned.
Retribution for What?

Is this what the NHL has come to. You check a guy hard, you get them off thier game cause you Forcheck a lot. You must then be prepared to Fight?

Show me the LAST hit where Maltby was Blatently Dirty. And hell, lets just say Tonights was boarderline, before that Name one Instance this season where he "cheapshotted" a guy.

I asked this question before, and it was ignored. Everybody is freely throwing around the "Hes dirty and cheap" yet NOBODY can point to an instance. They just say he yaps. Ofcorse he yaps. Hes a grinder, a Great PKer, A Great Shut-Down Guy. He hits every chance he gets, none of which i can honestly remember that were obviously dirty. Yet now he should "Face retribution"

Years a go, i watcehd Avalanche fans call him dirty because he Slashed an Avs Player. His name escapes me, but it was similar to the bryan allen on Zetterburg slash. a Tap which hit him right above the gloves he was wearing. Short gloves which didnt fully cover the wrist. To this day its brought up. Its the ONLY instance that i see regularly used to say hes dirty, and this was back in 1996.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Years a go, i watcehd Avalanche fans call him dirty because he Slashed an Avs Player. His name escapes me, but it was similar to the bryan allen on Zetterburg slash. a Tap which hit him right above the gloves he was wearing. Short gloves which didnt fully cover the wrist. To this day its brought up. Its the ONLY instance that i see regularly used to say hes dirty, and this was back in 1996.
Kamensky.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:39 PM
syc

Maltby is dirty and cheap.

jk

Old
03-31-2004, 11:40 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
Kamensky.
ya, the ******* came back in game 3, when the wings were up 2-0. Wings also lost 2 players in game 2. It let the avs Roll 4 lines, while the wings lost I THINK it was Yzerman & Osgood.

Avs Smoked the wings the next 4 games.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I was talking about the negative influence on his reputation. "Retribution", perhaps, wasn't the right word for it. I was simply talking about the hit his image would take for wearing one, not about having to defend himself in a fight.

As for another Maltby cheap shot:

Quote:
Hurricanes goaltender Kevin Weekes suffered a concussion in the first period. The former Lightning goalie took an elbow from Carolina defenseman Bret Hedican after Hedican was pushed into the crease by Kirk Maltby
http://www.sptimes.com/2002/11/30/Sp...ekes_hur.shtml

From the description there it sounds like a freak accident, once again, but it wasn't. Maltby pushed Hedican when they were both skating full force towards the net and Weekes was down with his head looking up. He pushed Hedican with the intention of making him fall onto Weekes and Weekes suffered a concussion that put him out for essentially half the season.

I'm sure the Maltby supporters are going to call it marginal, but i've seen the play a number of times and it was far from marginal. I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but you asked for an example and that's one i've found. The Hurricanes only play the Wings once or twice a season and i've seen what this guy is capable of. I can only imagine the type of stuff he does against Western Conference competition. Probably stuff like this Klesla incidient.

Closed Thread