HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hope Klesla is Okay

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 11:49 PM
jacketracket*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
he has a bruise, no serious injury

Doug McLean called it gutless, And Gallant said it was obvious he knew the door was opened.
Certainly good news on Rusty's condition.

I was at the game, but didn't see the hit---just saw the aftermath---so I won't comment.

I just don't see Maltby as the type who would intentionally run someone into an open door.

That said, one might expect to see some frustration from the CBJ brass in the heat of the moment, so soon after the game. Klesla just comes off his second long stint on the IR this season, and goes down again.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
ya, the ******* came back in game 3, when the wings were up 2-0. Wings also lost 2 players in game 2. It let the avs Roll 4 lines, while the wings lost I THINK it was Yzerman & Osgood.

Avs Smoked the wings the next 4 games.
Ozzy went down in the series vs the Kings. Ranford came in, mopped up the last couple of games against them and started strong against the Avs before entirely self-destructing in the third and fourth games. Ozzy came back on a bad knee and gutted it out as best he could (and still outplayed Ranford).

One of the Wings who went down was Larionov (broken thumb), and I think the blueline absorbed a couple of hits (I could swear it was Ulf and Chelly, though both kept playing while injured).

And the Hedican/Irbe/Maltby thing is weak. Examples like that make Maltby out to be some sort of cartoonish super villain with freakishly intricate plans to injure people.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:54 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
So ...no more changing on the fly?
Just jump over the boards.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:55 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
From the description there it sounds like a freak accident, once again, but it wasn't. Maltby pushed Hedican when they were both skating full force towards the net and Weekes was down with his head looking up. He pushed Hedican with the intention of making him fall onto Weekes and Weekes suffered a concussion that put him out for essentially half the season.
Ya know what, when you are THAT Set on making the guy out to be a villian that you can OBVIOUSLY tell his intent was to shove Hedican so Hedican would take out Weekes and give him a concussion, any sort of debating back and forth will never change your mind.

:shrugs: What can ya do. The Guy obviously shoved Klesla into th door he didnt see open, and back then he shoved hedican knowing that hedican would slam into weekes and give him a concussion.

I also heard on Weekends he puts babies on spikes and Forces baby chicks to watch thier parents be plucked and packaged for market. The Traitorous Coward should be strung up and whipped for his blasphemous crimes

Old
03-31-2004, 11:56 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
Ozzy went down in the series vs the Kings. Ranford came in, mopped up the last couple of games against them and started strong against the Avs before entirely self-destructing in the third and fourth games. Ozzy came back on a bad knee and gutted it out as best he could (and still outplayed Ranford).

One of the Wings who went down was Larionov (broken thumb), and I think the blueline absorbed a couple of hits (I could swear it was Ulf and Chelly, though both kept playing while injured).

And the Hedican/Irbe/Maltby thing is weak. Examples like that make Maltby out to be some sort of cartoonish super villain with freakishly intricate plans to injure people.
okay, this was 1999, not 1996

years losing to the avs got mixed up lol. I wanted to say Chelly, but i had it in my head that this was 1996, and we didnt have him then.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
okay, this was 1999, not 1996

years losing to the avs got mixed up lol. I wanted to say Chelly, but i had it in my head that this was 1996, and we didnt have him then.

hehe...yeah, most of those losses to the Avs just form one long nightmare for me too...

Old
04-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
They both do it, quite often, and I have an equal dislike for both, more so for Maltby because of his visor.

just a note:

Maltby where's the visor for only one reason...he would lose his vision if he didn't. In his rookie season with edmonton he was hit in the eye with either a stick or a puck, dont remember which. Anywho, if he gets hit in the eye again, he WILL lose all vision in the eye.

Thats why he wears it. If you look at any of his rookie cards in edmonton, he doesn't where one at all.

As for the hit on Klesla...i hope he's ok. Looked pretty bad. I can't say i know what Maltby was thinking, but i'd imagine he wouldn't try and hurt a player that bad. I dont think he saw that the door was open, and if he did, i dont think he meant to put Klesla through it. In any event, i hope the kids ok.

Jody Shelley was just doing his job, he's an enforcer. I'd me more pissed as a wings fan if he didn't come over and say something.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98

Quote:
I'm sure the Maltby supporters are going to call it marginal, but i've seen the play a number of times and it was far from marginal. I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears
Called it!! I knew anything short of Maltby maiming a player would be either downplayed or considered "marginal". Did you want another example or did you want everybody to admit they couldn't find one? I'm guessing the latter.

As far as the other complaints are concerned, it seems you guys are guilty of judging the severity of a cheapshot by the eventual outcome. I in no way intended to imply that Maltby set out to give Weekes a concussion. Once again, if I said that find it. Putting words in a person's mouth isn't exactly the best way to win an argument. However, I do not doubt that it was the intention of Maltby to cause Hedican to fall onto Weekes, thus a cheapshot. If anybody wants to argue that point then i'm not sure where to start. I have no idea where you were getting that I said Maltby intended to concuss Weekes. However, he intended to hurt him which is just as bad. The result shouldn't always tell one the severity of the cheapshot. Just like this incident. If Klesla had ruptured his appendix and been taken to the hospital, people would be up in arms. Since Klesla isn't badly injured, this will probably mull over without even a sniff at a suspension.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:30 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Called it!! I knew anything short of Maltby maiming a player would be either downplayed or considered "marginal". Did you want another example or did you want everybody to admit they couldn't find one? I'm guessing the latter.
when you make a weak statement, and cover it with a broad assumption, ofcorse You can "call it".

It would be like me saying, "AN NHL TEAM IS GONNA WIN THE CUP" and when the do, come here and gloat.

Im looking for an example which makes him Dirty, like you called it, and obvious he hides behind his visor. I just wanna know the last time he did something dirty. It cant be that hard, because _EVERYBODY_ knows hes dirty. Hell the word Maltby and cheap go hand in hand. yet for some reason, the only explanation i get is "he yaps and has a visor"

Last edited by X8oD: 04-01-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old
04-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
I was talking about the negative influence on his reputation. "Retribution", perhaps, wasn't the right word for it. I was simply talking about the hit his image would take for wearing one, not about having to defend himself in a fight.

As for another Maltby cheap shot:

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/11/30/Sp...ekes_hur.shtml

From the description there it sounds like a freak accident, once again, but it wasn't. Maltby pushed Hedican when they were both skating full force towards the net and Weekes was down with his head looking up. He pushed Hedican with the intention of making him fall onto Weekes and Weekes suffered a concussion that put him out for essentially half the season.

I'm sure the Maltby supporters are going to call it marginal, but i've seen the play a number of times and it was far from marginal. I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but you asked for an example and that's one i've found. The Hurricanes only play the Wings once or twice a season and i've seen what this guy is capable of. I can only imagine the type of stuff he does against Western Conference competition. Probably stuff like this Klesla incidient.

I remember that hit.

"I've seen what this guy is capable of." Call the cops, Maltby plays physical.

The play was simple. Yes, Maltby did push Hedican. Let me ask you something...Is there ever plays in the NHL where there is pushing in front of the net?

TSN lists maltby as having no suspensions
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...35&hubname=DET

Also, a play like the Hedican play the other night minnesota i believe. A player pushed Whitney from behind and onto Legace forcing his knee backwards.

If you'd like anymore cases where an opposing teams player has pushed a player onto the other teams goalie, wait a week, and i'll have a list for you.

Now stop nit-picking.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. If half the boards, including a lot of eastern conference team fans, think Maltby is a dirty player then it is certainly worth looking into. I thought I had a pretty valid example, but it appears that people want to downplay that one as well. It happens, people have differant opinions on issues like that one. We're both equally entitled to them.

Oh well, it makes no differance to me. Just as long as Maltby stays away from Carolina i'm fine.

I'll cut the nitpicking short, Datsyuk. I probably have a thread to close or a troll to ban anyways.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:57 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Where there is smoke there is usually fire. If half the boards, including a lot of eastern conference team fans, think Maltby is a dirty player then it is certainly worth looking into.
thanks for clearing it up.

Your reasoning really isnt as a result of first hand knowledge or meaningless stuff like that. hes dirty cause somebody else said he was, and thats obviously enough.

I just dont understand what the guy did to become dirty. Hes a cheap ******* who likes to finish his checks, and dives a bit too much for my likeing. But hey, so does half the NHL. Maltby is different because, unlike many others, hes an effective NHLer who can take stars off thier game by getting in thier face and making them work through a strong back check. Hell look at the job he and Drapes did at the worlds [I THINK it was the worlds] Where they shut down Forsberg on thier way to a Canadian Tourny Win. And there is a reason why Forsberg very rarely has an effective game against Detroit.

Bottom line is, Maltby plays Hockey hard, and he makes sure yer teams star player is aware of that. And because after he levels you with a clean check, he wont fight your teams goon boy, that makes him dirty. Oh ya, he yaps and wears a visor.. And Im still looking into that babies on Spikes rumor.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
thanks for clearing it up.

Your reasoning really isnt as a result of first hand knowledge or meaningless stuff like that. hes dirty cause somebody else said he was, and thats obviously enough.
I honestly don't know where to begin.

I gave you my first hand knowledge, and you scoffed at it. I told you my opinion on this hit, and you scoffed at it. I went so far as to dig up a past example of play that I considered to be dirty from Maltby, and you scoffed at that as well. What other first hand knowledge should I offer up for you to try to devalue with twisted logic? What other avenue would you recommend that I take in proving to you that i'm not the only one who sees this than mention the fact that other people have seen it as well? It's interesting that you tell me i'm basing my knowledge on the opinions of others only after i've given you personal opinion on top of personal opinion about his actions.

I was simply trying to bury the hatchet and let another poster take the reigns of this one if they cared to because I was simply tired of not being heard. I try to not make a habit of arguing points against people who are going to disagree with me regardless. I post to inform others of my opinion and give insight as I see it.

I'm not going to let this degenerate into a flame war, obviously. So choose your words with great care and let's not let this move into the area of insults. Just a heads up, not an accusation.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
The Columbus announcers brought up the point that the door shouldn't have been open. I'd like to see the doors stay closed during play. Maybe they could make a rule that if that door comes open, a bench minor is issued.
That is a great idea. It would get a little crowded, but it might work.

As for the hit, I just think Maltby was trying to push Klesla into the bench. He had to see the door open. As for intent to injure, I really doubt that was the case.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:15 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Just jump over the boards.
Shorter players would have trouble with that. The ice is at a lower level then the floor of the bench. Im 6'1" and its a stretch to step over the boards from the ice at the rinks I play at. Not sure about the NHL board heights though.

Maltby isnt the cleanest guy, he plays farther out on the ledge than most players. He throws hits once in a while that could go really bad but has been lucky so far in the NHL. I didnt see this incident though.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:07 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
In a preseason game in 2000-01 Maltby broke Knutsen's hand with a wicked slash. Like Caniac said, seems kind of odd all these injuries that happen around Maltby, and he just throws his hands up and says "whatever" like a seventeen year old priss from LA.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:51 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
In a preseason game in 2000-01 Maltby broke Knutsen's hand with a wicked slash. Like Caniac said, seems kind of odd all these injuries that happen around Maltby, and he just throws his hands up and says "whatever" like a seventeen year old priss from LA.
Knutsons Hand was broken when his hand got caught between Maltbys Stick and his own. I saw the play and remember it cause i had to describe it to my parents because they both thought they heard "Kuznetsov". It was similar to a hand being caught inthe door and then PULLING it out while it was stuck. I believe Knutsen Lost his glove, and maltby was holding his stick down with his own. One of the two went to change directions, they were in the corner. Causing the sticks to do almost a sisscor [sp?] like effect on Knutsens hand. I actually remember ESPN talking about it because of Espen's name.

Im trying to find the article. Ive found snippits it happened september 20th, 2000-01, he missed 11 games due to a severe Finger Laceration. It had nothing to do with Maltby. Still looking for some articles as i HAVE read them.

*EDIT* we may be talking about different things. cause im seeing 2 different injuries, so its possible I am referring to the wrong one

Last edited by X8oD: 04-01-2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old
04-01-2004, 09:18 AM
paxtang

Thank you Datsyuk. The reason I said anythign was the critisism for Shelley having words with Maltby. There is really no way to know if Maltby intentionally rode Klesla into the door, but its Shelley's job to tell him that if it was intentional, its beat down time.

I dislike Maltby more for his willingness to throw gloved punches and then not fight than his marginal hits, see Walker incidents this year. He has gotten into fights before after his eye injury, so its not like he can't fight, he just won't.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:31 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I dislike Maltby more for his willingness to throw gloved punches and then not fight than his marginal hits, see Walker incidents this year. He has gotten into fights before after his eye injury, so its not like he can't fight, he just won't.
cause hed get his ass kicked. Hes a TERRIBLE fighter. If he faught, him and Barnaby would be SPITTIN images of each other. Both play a rugged game, both get into the faces of thier opponents, both fight and get thier ass kicked. Cept barnaby does that fake glove drop thing that bothers the snot out of me.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:39 AM
X8oD

Doug McLean goes off the deep end and says its Just like the bertuzzi Incident

"Said Columbus general manager Doug MacLean: "To do that to a player, it's sickening to watch. You wonder why we have a problem in this league. It's like the (Todd) Bertuzzi incident (the infamous incident with Colorado's Steve Moore last month).""

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/storie...7938102090.xml

so its not only posters on the internet going ovrboard with lame comparisons. GMs can do it too. Ive read that Bluejackets TV announcers said the hit had no intent to injure as he couldnt see the door was open.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Harold Snepsts

The NHL is ridiculous right now. Anytime someone falls down awkwardly and people yell it's dirty, gutless and compare it to Bertuzzi's hit. (and NO, I'm not saying Klelsa simply fell down awkwardly!)

When Klesla slid into the open door, it looked pretty nasty. good to hear it's only a charlie horse. Even knowing Maltby's reputation, it's hard to believe that he could intentionally check him into the open door, even if he wanted to.

And I think it's ridiculous that the GM would immediately say it was a gutless hit and imply that Maltby did it intentionally. Be realistic. Do you know how hard it would be in the middle of a play, to recognize that the bench door was open, line up a guy near it, and time it perfectly so you check him into the open door?

Not to mention the fact that most players wouldn't be to crazy about throwing their body around an open door for their own safety, let alone the safety of the guy they're hitting. One bad step, or lose your balance, or miss the check, and they're the ones flying headfirst into the open door instead of the guy they're hitting.

The state of the game is so reactionary right now. It was an unfortunate play, not a gutless hit. I realize it doesn't help that it was Maltby who threw the check, considering his reputation. But this is getting so pathetic.

Even after the Ottawa Philly brawl and the Bertuzzi aftermath, I would think that even if management thought a hit was dirty, he might choose his words more carefully and take it up with the league instead of creating a more inflammatory environment.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Ive read that Bluejackets TV announcers said the hit had no intent to injure as he couldnt see the door was open.
Both the Bluejackets TV announcers and the ESPN guys stated multiple times that Maltby didn't do anything wrong, he couldn't have known the door would be open and that Klesla would fall into it.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Freak Accident

Maltby going for a great check. Good clean, Shoulder to Chest.

Problem was, right as Maltby made the check, the Bench door opened, and Klesla was Strung up.

NOT on purpose, As Maltby never saw the door open. but Man Klesla was strung up.

@ "Freak Accident"

Your post has a "This is how it happened, and I will quickly post it before anyone else says any different" feel to it.

Last edited by Killer 93: 04-01-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old
04-01-2004, 10:19 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
@ "Freak Accident"

Your post has a "This is how it happened, and I will quickly post it before anyone else says any different" feel to it.
Gotta love people who come into a convo late, and add a reply like they own the place 5 pages into the thread.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Gotta love people who come into a convo late, and add a reply like they own the place 5 pages into the thread.
What would you have me do? Do you know a secret way to post on the first page after there is this many replies? Please explain.

Closed Thread