HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hope Klesla is Okay

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 10:27 AM
X8oD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
What would you have me do? Do you know a secret way to post on the first page after there is this many replies? Please explain.
how bout reading the thread a bit, see whats been discussed.

:shh: lemme tell ya little secret.. Trying to be a smart ass with smiley faces and a nice whitty retort aimed at making the poster [in this case me] look like an idiot... looks a bit odd when you are a day late.

when Announcers for both teams, Sports shows and Wide Angle views which show Maltby NOT ABLE to see the bench door, vouch for this being a freak accident. to make a crack like that is a bit arrogant.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:30 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu the grim reaper
get that kid a doctor
i hope hes ok

also, jody shelley needs to chill
What Shelley needs to do is grab that little punk Maltby and toss him a beating regardless of wether he wants to fight or not, its about time Maltby learned that if you play the game on the ragged edge like that thats OK but you have to step up from time to time if you do.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:32 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Well, my reasoning behind saying that Maltby was sneaky dirty is that i've seen quite a few, "there was nothing he could do" plays out of Maltby that have injured players. You simply don't take a run at a player when he is in the vicinity of the bench door, especially if you can't see if it's open or not. There have been far too many incidents just like this one for a player with good conscience to try to edge a player into the boards at that particular place, much less go for a check.

I'm not trying to start a debate with Wings fans on the fairness of this hit, I just think it's dirty and i'd be saying the same thing had it been Erik Cole that did it. It just doesn't sit right with me, as i've seen the effects of this type of injury.
Maltby is sneaky dirty there is no debating that.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
how bout reading the thread a bit, see whats been discussed.

:shh: lemme tell ya little secret.. Trying to be a smart ass with smiley faces and a nice whitty retort aimed at making the poster [in this case me] look like an idiot... looks a bit odd when you are a day late.

when Announcers for both teams, Sports shows and Wide Angle views which show Maltby NOT ABLE to see the bench door, vouch for this being a freak accident. to make a crack like that is a bit arrogant.
I did read the thread. I was not commenting on anything anyone else said, only your first post.

By the way, is it okay if I post this here, or should I time warp back and post on the first page? Just wondering, since were upset about the fifth page.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
You obviously didn't watch the game. It wasn't Draper. Draper is a pretty clean player. Know your hockey before you go spouting. Draper doesn't whine that much either.
Who the hell are you trying to kid Draper whines more than your average 5th grade schoolgirl.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:50 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Just jump over the boards.
Doesn't really work well when you're coming off the ice. Guys going on can just jump over the boards, but guys coming off will have a harder time climbing over. It's a little unfair to the shorter players. A Red Wing player was coming off the ice, hence the door opening.

Though I'm not really sure why the door was open that long. I only saw highlight clips of the hit, not the game, so I can't really comment on it.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Years a go, i watcehd Avalanche fans call him dirty because he Slashed an Avs Player. His name escapes me, but it was similar to the bryan allen on Zetterburg slash. a Tap which hit him right above the gloves he was wearing. Short gloves which didnt fully cover the wrist. To this day its brought up. Its the ONLY instance that i see regularly used to say hes dirty, and this was back in 1996.
That's not accurate. It was a real lumberjack job; there's no questioning the type of slash it was. You may question whether Maltby was aiming for Kamensky's forearm (which is what the slash broke), Kamensky's hands, or Kamensky's stick. But, there's no questioning the severity of that slash. Kamensky's career went south almost as a direct result of that slash. Broken forearms are a rather rare hockey injury and it's one of those injuries that can shorten careers if it doesn't heal properly, which is what happened in Kamensky's situation. It sure as hell wasn't no tap though.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Any video on this play yet?

Old
04-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Here's what Maltby and McCarty had to say about the incident.

Maltby was aware that the Blue Jackets were infuriated. McCarty took the blame for the door being opened.

Quote:
``I'm really not going to get into an argument about it,'' he said. ``I'm backchecking. I can't see who's coming on, who's coming off, if the door's closed or not. I'm not trying to hurt the guy. It was a foot race.''

Teammate Darren McCarty said it was his fault the door was open.

``I tried to close it and right before I could, Maltby hit him,'' McCarty said. ``It's unfortunate. Hopefully he's OK. Guys don't do that, it's a respect thing.''

As for Shelly, i havbe no problem with what he did. He has a job to do as an enforcer. He just went out and told Malts what he thought. I think he learned something from his 3 game suspension and wasn't gonna do something stupid.

I dont if anyone for sure can say the hit was dirty. No one knows what was going thru Maltbys mind at the time.

As for keeping the door closed during the play, seems like an overration IMO. Sure it's somewhat dangerous. But i'm willing to bet more players have been hurt from touch icing than being hit into an open door.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:21 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Here's what Maltby and McCarty had to say about the incident.

Maltby was aware that the Blue Jackets were infuriated. McCarty took the blame for the door being opened.

As for Shelly, i havbe no problem with what he did. He has a job to do as an enforcer. He just went out and told Malts what he thought. I think he learned something from his 3 game suspension and wasn't gonna do something stupid.

I dont if anyone for sure can say the hit was dirty. No one knows what was going thru Maltbys mind at the time.

As for keeping the door closed during the play, seems like an overration IMO. Sure it's somewhat dangerous. But i'm willing to bet more players have been hurt from touch icing than being hit into an open door.
I agree with everything in this post. Regardless of how I feel about Maltby, there is no way to be sure whether it was intentional or not. However, Maltby's rep and the seriousness of the situation certainly warrented Shelley giving Maltby a piece of his mind, and I really didn't see the point of bashign Shelley for doing his job. Mccarty was out on the ice, and it seemed to me both Shelley and he talked, and they had an agreement that nothing was goign to happen, but Maltby needed to be told to cool it.

As for the comparison between Maltby and Barnaby, Barnaby isn't really a bad fighter per se, he just happens to be bad at fighting heavy weights, thus his hundres of ass kickings. If he fought middles, he'd do fine. I respect him for the fact that he will go into a fight knowing he is going to get beat down, something Maltby will not do. That's Maltby's perogative, it's also mine to not like or respect him because of that. As for the fake glove drop, its bull crap, and it pisses me off when Barnaby does it (btw, I'm a Flyer fan, who was raised to hate Matthew Barnaby, and the fact that I respect him shows what he's proved to me over the years) but generally, if he draws a guy into a penalty, he'll fight him later on in the game.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:27 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
TSN lists maltby as having no suspensions
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...35&hubname=DET
Now stop nit-picking.
Sweet.. neither does Tucker
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...9&hubname=TOR]
I guess Tucker's not dirty either.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:58 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Doug McLean goes off the deep end and says its Just like the bertuzzi Incident

"Said Columbus general manager Doug MacLean: "To do that to a player, it's sickening to watch. You wonder why we have a problem in this league. It's like the (Todd) Bertuzzi incident (the infamous incident with Colorado's Steve Moore last month).""

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/storie...7938102090.xml

so its not only posters on the internet going ovrboard with lame comparisons. GMs can do it too. Ive read that Bluejackets TV announcers said the hit had no intent to injure as he couldnt see the door was open.

This was MacLean's quote in the Columbus Dispatch

"And they wonder why we have problems like the Bertuzzi incident," MacLean said.

I think you are a bit off the deep end, when you say MacLean went off the deep end. Of course he's going to be upset, if it happend to Hamhuis, Komisarek, J-Bo, I'm sure their GM is going to be upset too. Or any player for that matter. I would agree with MacLean that things like this are why incidents such as the Bertuzzi incident happens.

If the same thing happend last night except it was Datsyuk that got hurt and Shelley that pushed him, I'm sure Wings fans would have the same argument other posters are using against Maltby.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Harold Snepsts

The thing is, most of the conversations seem to be about Maltby's reputation and behavior in past incidents, and very little is being said about this particular hit.

It was a clean hit, though an unfortunately timed one because the door was open. To suggest Maltby meant to do it or compare it to Bertuzzi is just ridiculous. All the announcers at the time, including the CBJ announcers, dismissed it as an accident.

Get over it. Move on. This league is getting ridiculous in the post-Bertuzzi aftermath.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Sweet.. neither does Tucker
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...9&hubname=TOR]
I guess Tucker's not dirty either.

Bling bling bling bling the coins are falling down nicely

Just because a player lacks suspensions doesnt make them "clean" players. You can instead argue the case that they have gotten away with stuff.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:12 PM
shelovesshanny

no way a player is going to intentionally check another guy into an open door unless 1.)the checkee slept with the checkers wife the nite before, 2.)the checkee peed in the checkers gas tank before the game or 3.)the checkee gave the checker an atomic wedgie in front of all of his friends. i dont think any of these things happened in this case so get over it. hope he feels better.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:21 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I'm a CBJ fan. I saw the hit. I don't think it was intentional.
For once, I'm going to have faith in human beings in general and assume that Maltby didn't do it on purpose. I just can't conceive a player deciding it would be a good idea to railroad a player into an open door.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovesshanny
no way a player is going to intentionally check another guy into an open door unless 1.)the checkee slept with the checkers wife the nite before, 2.)the checkee peed in the checkers gas tank before the game or 3.)the checkee gave the checker an atomic wedgie in front of all of his friends. i dont think any of these things happened in this case so get over it. hope he feels better.

And there is no way a player would suckerpunch someone from behind in this league, yeah that never happens.

the amount of respect for fellow players is at a record LOW right now. I have seen star players getting mugged 3-4 times on the SAME SHIFT and no calls coming.

This league will have serious problems until the refs starts to toss out the game management and follow the rulebook instead

Old
04-01-2004, 03:53 PM
shelovesshanny

why is it now everybody thinks theres some new bertuzzi law for every incident that happens from here on out. it wasnt intentional. watch the footage. on the bench he was asking mccarty and draper what happened because he didnt know. like i said it sucks but it was an accident. ever seen a foul tip hit a catcher in the nuts. same thing. batter intended to make contact with the ball but in no way planned for that ball to go exactly to the catchers nuts. should the batter be suspended for 20 games and taken to court for it?

Old
04-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Thats pretty much the end of the story. Now we are saying that players need to be aware of when the players on the benches are opening and closing the doors??
Yes. It's not like players aren't aware of when line changes are taking place. I find it hard to believe that Maltby didn't have a hunch that the door may have been open.

The hit was legal, but dirty and opportunistic. I'm reminded of when Chris Simon lined a player up who had lost his helmet and purposefully held back on the hit. I'm not a big Chris Simon fan, but that's the classy thing to do. There's no sense risking serious injury just to make a hit.

S L

Old
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Shorter players would have trouble with that. The ice is at a lower level then the floor of the bench. Im 6'1" and its a stretch to step over the boards from the ice at the rinks I play at. Not sure about the NHL board heights though.

Maltby isnt the cleanest guy, he plays farther out on the ledge than most players. He throws hits once in a while that could go really bad but has been lucky so far in the NHL. I didnt see this incident though.
I'm 5'9" and I have no trouble with it. I definitely can't straddle the boards but i just do what Ray Scapinella does, I just go over the boards so I'm sitting on them facing the ice, and then I Jump off.

Quote:
Doesn't really work well when you're coming off the ice. Guys going on can just jump over the boards, but guys coming off will have a harder time climbing over. It's a little unfair to the shorter players. A Red Wing player was coming off the ice, hence the door opening.
It's definitely not perfect, but if it can save a few injuries, I'd be all for it.

Last edited by Jacob: 04-01-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepts
The thing is, most of the conversations seem to be about Maltby's reputation and behavior in past incidents, and very little is being said about this particular hit.

It was a clean hit, though an unfortunately timed one because the door was open. To suggest Maltby meant to do it or compare it to Bertuzzi is just ridiculous. All the announcers at the time, including the CBJ announcers, dismissed it as an accident.
Even if Maltby didn't intentionally hit Klesla into the bench, it's a careless play, and a dangerous one that can really hurt a player. That said, this type of stuff should be handled just like high-sticking. If you want to gamble on whether or not the door is open before you make a hit, you should have to pay if you make the wrong decision -- Maltby should have been assessed a major penalty for being unaware, or the team should have been issued a bench penalty for having the door open where the puck was in play.

S L

Old
04-01-2004, 05:46 PM
kenabnrmal

I generally dislike the "well if you'd ever played the game, maybe you'd know better" claim, and I dont intend to come off that way here..but I have a hard time believing that anyone who has played hockey at any sort of competitive level would think that what Maltby did was suspendable.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
so its more of a blind hatred, then logic behind your animosity. Cause I find that statement to be a tad bit Don Cherry-ish.

Screw the guy for wanting to play the sport he loves and Not put himself at risk to lose his vision. HE SHOULD BE A MAN, SUCK IT UP AND WING IT! You get hit in the face with a weak shot that causes you to lose your sight, TOO BAD SO SAD. AT LEAST YOU MADE SOME PEOPLE ON A MESSAGE BOARD THINK YER A MAN!
No,if you want to be an "agitator" you can't be a guy that hides behind a visor. You are delusional if you don't believe Maltby is one of the biggest **** talkers in the league...he's like Sean Avery except Avery will drop the gloves.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
thanks for clearing it up.

Your reasoning really isnt as a result of first hand knowledge or meaningless stuff like that. hes dirty cause somebody else said he was, and thats obviously enough.

I just dont understand what the guy did to become dirty. Hes a cheap ******* who likes to finish his checks, and dives a bit too much for my likeing. But hey, so does half the NHL. Maltby is different because, unlike many others, hes an effective NHLer who can take stars off thier game by getting in thier face and making them work through a strong back check. Hell look at the job he and Drapes did at the worlds [I THINK it was the worlds] Where they shut down Forsberg on thier way to a Canadian Tourny Win. And there is a reason why Forsberg very rarely has an effective game against Detroit.

Bottom line is, Maltby plays Hockey hard, and he makes sure yer teams star player is aware of that. And because after he levels you with a clean check, he wont fight your teams goon boy, that makes him dirty. Oh ya, he yaps and wears a visor.. And Im still looking into that babies on Spikes rumor.
I wonder what you'd be saying if Tyler Wright did the exact same thing to Niklas Lidstrom.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovesshanny
why is it now everybody thinks theres some new bertuzzi law for every incident that happens from here on out. it wasnt intentional. watch the footage. on the bench he was asking mccarty and draper what happened because he didnt know. like i said it sucks but it was an accident. ever seen a foul tip hit a catcher in the nuts. same thing. batter intended to make contact with the ball but in no way planned for that ball to go exactly to the catchers nuts. should the batter be suspended for 20 games and taken to court for it?
I don't think Maltby intended to put Klesla through the door but Klesla was in a compromising position, and Maltby almost hit him on the numbers...if the Door hadn't opened he would have went face/head first into the boards and I think even more would be somewhat outraged at it.

Closed Thread