HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hope Klesla is Okay

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Higgy4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Care to show me at which point in my post I said the name Maltby? Perhaps you're the one jumping the gun here. I was giving a general statement regarding the mindset of people against physical players who wear a visor. The only thing this post had to do with Maltby was the point came up in a discussion about Maltby.
Well, this thread is about Maltby isnt it? Here is one of your posts:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I certainly can't speak for him, but the reason a lot of people hate players who wear a visor is because they hide behind it. Now, this is alright for players who aren't very inclined to physical play or pest tactics, but for a player who plays that way and doesn't want to be held accountable is frustrating to opposing fans. You can't exactly get into fisticuffs with a player who has an inch of plexiglass surrounding his face.

Yes, i'm aware of all the other uses for a faceshield besides hiding. But if your game is centered around making people angry, a faceshield seems a bit cowardly."
-------------------------------------------------------------

So no...you didnt say the name "Maltby". But this a thread discussing what many feel to be a dirty hit by a guy wearing a shield. Who are we supposed to think you are talking about? Sure...you probably mean players who wear shields, in general. But I am sure you would lump Maltby in with the players you were talkiing about in your above post.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZodiac
Maltby is one of the dirtiest players in the NHL
I wouldnt call him "dirty". The guy has been in the league 10 years and has never been suspended. Are we to believe that in today's NHL, where if you tie your skates with the wrong colored laces you get suspended, its just a coincidence that Maltby has never been suspended? I guess he's just lucky? Oh no...I know what it is. Its Red Wing bias right? The league would never suspend a Red Wing...ever. I guess I can expect that USUAL argument too. Right?

I will admit that Maltby is an agitator. If he were on another team, I would hate his guts too. But he isnt "dirty". I think Dan Hinote is a little *******. Agitates the hell out of teams, including the Wings. But I would never call him "dirty".

I am not going to speculate on whether or not Maltby knew what he was doing. I am not Maltby. But I have played the game my whole life, and I am sure most of you have too. The game goes fast...very fast. Alot of times you are focused on 1 specific thing, or target. I hear people say that door was open for as much as 6 seconds? Count to 6 right now. 6 seconds in hockey is a long time. The door was open for maybe 3 seconds. Maltby has his sights on Klesla. YES...he did want to drill Klesla. He is a hockey player right? The game is physical. But for me to want to believe the rest of you in thinking that Maltby was skating pretty much at top speed, had the mental capacity to calculate that the door is open, and decide to basically PURPOSELY impale Klesla??? No way...I dont buy it.

He would have ran him the same way if the door was shut. Its was an accident. I hope to God that Klesla is OK, and Maltby has re-itterated the same thing. It is possible that players do get hurt in this game WITHOUT the act being intentional. I know most of you have trouble grasping this concept. But...give it a try.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2

The Columbus announcers brought up the point that the door shouldn't have been open. I'd like to see the doors stay closed during play. Maybe they could make a rule that if that door comes open, a bench minor is issued.
Why do rules always have to be changed? Doors on benches have been there for years. Leave em.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepts

Get over it. Move on. This league is getting ridiculous in the post-Bertuzzi aftermath.

The league and THESE BOARDS. Since the Bertuzzi incident almost every other thread is pissing and moaning about what people "think" is a dirty play. Every other thread is someone saying that ANTHER player should be suspended. I used to love coming in here and talking hockey. But now its just the same ol BS. <insert players name> should be suspended. Thats pretty much every thread.

I guess I am old school. I love the physical play. I love the hooking, holding, checking, fighting, slashing (to an extent), post-whistle scrums, bench clearing brawls (the occasional one). Thats what hockey has been since its inception.

But nowadays all we have are younger generation fans who want rules changed to make the game less physical. They want fighting taken out. They want EVERY SLASH to result in a suspension. They want anything slightly borderline play to result in somebody getting suspended. The cry and cry about every thing.

So I agree. Move on...find another sport. This is what hockey is. If you dont like it, then get out. I hate to sound so ignorant and cliche...but this is how I feel. Too many sensitive NHL fans these days. Toughen Up!

Old
04-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
Even if Maltby didn't intentionally hit Klesla into the bench, it's a careless play, and a dangerous one that can really hurt a player. That said, this type of stuff should be handled just like high-sticking. If you want to gamble on whether or not the door is open before you make a hit, you should have to pay if you make the wrong decision -- Maltby should have been assessed a major penalty for being unaware, or the team should have been issued a bench penalty for having the door open where the puck was in play.

S L

Old
04-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I wouldnt call him "dirty". The guy has been in the league 10 years and has never been suspended. Are we to believe that in today's NHL, where if you tie your skates with the wrong colored laces you get suspended, its just a coincidence that Maltby has never been suspended? I guess he's just lucky? Oh no...I know what it is. Its Red Wing bias right? The league would never suspend a Red Wing...ever. I guess I can expect that USUAL argument too. Right?
As someone else pointed out Darcy Tucker has never been suspended,does that mean he's not a dirty player? if the same thing had happened to Lidstrom from a guy with a questionable history wing fans would be crying wolf.

Quote:
I will admit that Maltby is an agitator. If he were on another team, I would hate his guts too. But he isnt "dirty". I think Dan Hinote is a little *******. Agitates the hell out of teams, including the Wings. But I would never call him "dirty".
Agitators shouldn't wear visors, it's one thing to talk **** it's another to do it behind a shield knowing you can't fight.

Quote:
He would have ran him the same way if the door was shut. Its was an accident. I hope to God that Klesla is OK, and Maltby has re-itterated the same thing. It is possible that players do get hurt in this game WITHOUT the act being intentional. I know most of you have trouble grasping this concept. But...give it a try.
And if the door had been shut we'd be wondering if Klesla had a concussion. Either way Klesla would have been hurt...he's actually fortunate the door was open.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Higgy4

[QUOTE=RallyKiller
Agitators shouldn't wear visors, it's one thing to talk **** it's another to do it behind a shield knowing you can't fight.[/QUOTE]

This has been discussed. Team doctors will not allow Maltby to play without the visor.

I have agreed that he is a whiny, agitating player. I would hate him on another team. But I dont feel he fits the term "dirty". But these days, everybody who isnt on their favorite team and who plays a physical game is termed to be "dirty" or "cheap".

Like I said before...NHL fans are too sensitive.

Last edited by Higgy4: 04-01-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 11:25 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
The league and THESE BOARDS. Since the Bertuzzi incident almost every other thread is pissing and moaning about what people "think" is a dirty play. Every other thread is someone saying that ANTHER player should be suspended. I used to love coming in here and talking hockey. But now its just the same ol BS. <insert players name> should be suspended. Thats pretty much every thread.

I guess I am old school. I love the physical play. I love the hooking, holding, checking, fighting, slashing (to an extent), post-whistle scrums, bench clearing brawls (the occasional one). Thats what hockey has been since its inception.

But nowadays all we have are younger generation fans who want rules changed to make the game less physical. They want fighting taken out. They want EVERY SLASH to result in a suspension. They want anything slightly borderline play to result in somebody getting suspended. The cry and cry about every thing.

So I agree. Move on...find another sport. This is what hockey is. If you dont like it, then get out. I hate to sound so ignorant and cliche...but this is how I feel. Too many sensitive NHL fans these days. Toughen Up!
I've agreed with a lot of what you've said in the thread, but I think you're pretty far off the mark here. You point to the younger generation as being the fans who want the rule changes and as the ones doing all the crying. I've seen no evidence that this is done by any one generation of hockey fan. As always, we're seeing our fair share of "outsiders" telling "us" whats wrong with our game, and as always we are seeing the media outlets use shock tactics to make the game seem horribly dangerous in order to raise controversy. This has likely been the case across generations. However, the difference now isn't the younger generation of hockey fans, its the internet. These message boards. Wanna know why you're seeing so much whining and crying compared to the old days? Well, the whiners and criers had no outlet for their sobs back then beyond the local coffee shop or bar. Now they have the internet. They see something they don't like, and instead of complaining about it to their friend on the phone and having it end there, they can come on here free of charge and engage in plodding 10 week debates over it while making as many thinly veiled insults as possible and basically making themselves feel 100% more important than they actually are. The people (fans) haven't really changed in this respect, the technology has.

Personally, I think there are changes that should be made to the game. I don't think every individual who is calling for change should be written off as a whiner. A lot of it has gone overboard however. It will reset back to normal within time. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that its just the younger "new" fans doing the complaining. The guys I hear complaining the most about hockey now are the old school guys.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller

And if the door had been shut we'd be wondering if Klesla had a concussion. Either way Klesla would have been hurt...he's actually fortunate the door was open.
Sorry, I dont buy it. Both players were skating up ice. It was basically shoulder to shoulder. I will say that Maltby hit him slightly from behind, but it wasnt directly from behind. If the door is closed, Klesla would have taken a spill, not recieved a concussion since he would not have gone directly into the boards head first, and he wouldh have shrugged it off and taken Maltby's number down. Ya know...like in the old days.

He wouldnt have recieved a concussion at all.

Last edited by Higgy4: 04-01-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
I've agreed with a lot of what you've said in the thread, but I think you're pretty far off the mark here. You point to the younger generation as being the fans who want the rule changes and as the ones doing all the crying. I've seen no evidence that this is done by any one generation of hockey fan. As always, we're seeing our fair share of "outsiders" telling "us" whats wrong with our game, and as always we are seeing the media outlets use shock tactics to make the game seem horribly dangerous in order to raise controversy. This has likely been the case across generations. However, the difference now isn't the younger generation of hockey fans, its the internet. These message boards. Wanna know why you're seeing so much whining and crying compared to the old days? Well, the whiners and criers had no outlet for their sobs back then beyond the local coffee shop or bar. Now they have the internet. They see something they don't like, and instead of complaining about it to their friend on the phone and having it end there, they can come on here free of charge and engage in plodding 10 week debates over it while making as many thinly veiled insults as possible and basically making themselves feel 100% more important than they actually are. The people (fans) haven't really changed in this respect, the technology has.

Personally, I think there are changes that should be made to the game. I don't think every individual who is calling for change should be written off as a whiner. A lot of it has gone overboard however. It will reset back to normal within time. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that its just the younger "new" fans doing the complaining. The guys I hear complaining the most about hockey now are the old school guys.
Fair enough. I am just tired of all the crying. It may or may not be the "younger generation".

Good points. But I think the game has worked for years. The only thing I would change about hockey, is how much the players make. But thats how I feel about sports in general. They make too much cash across the board.

Dont make drastic changes in the on-ice product. If the game is in financial straits it has more do with outrageous salaries, than the on-ice product.

But thats a WHOOOOOOLE different thread.

Sorry I pointed the finger directly at the "younger" generation. Its funny I say "young" generation. I am only 30.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Maltby basically blidsighted him after he dumped the puck and was about to go back for a line change. Cheapshot no matter how the wings lovers (esp. ESPN) try to spin it. He was defenseless. No penalty or fine Cause it's a red wing player. If it was the other way Klesla on Maltby ESPN would be calling for Klesla to be beheading in public. Total bias by ESPN.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
Maltby basically blidsighted him after he dumped the puck and was about to go back for a line change. Cheapshot no matter how the wings lovers (esp. ESPN) try to spin it. He was defenseless. No penalty or fine Cause it's a red wing player. If it was the other way Klesla on Maltby ESPN would be calling for Klesla to be beheading in public. Total bias by ESPN.
No penalty or fine becuase he is a Red Wing player? :lol

So by that logic, if Todd Bertuzzi was a Red Wing, he would have not gotten a suspension for the Moore incident?

There is no penalty or fine because no penalty or fine is warranted. Why cant some of you simply see realistically? I appreciate the fact that many people dislike the Wings for various reasons. The same reasons that I dislike certain teams. But to say that Maltby get preferential treatment simply for being a Red Wing is so sad. What a lame, lame observation.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
No penalty or fine becuase he is a Red Wing player? :lol

So by that logic, if Todd Bertuzzi was a Red Wing, he would have not gotten a suspension for the Moore incident?

There is no penalty or fine because no penalty or fine is warranted. Why cant some of you simply see realistically? I appreciate the fact that many people dislike the Wings for various reasons. The same reasons that I dislike certain teams. But to say that Maltby get preferential treatment simply for being a Red Wing is so sad. What a lame, lame observation.
Bertuzzi could be playing if he wore a Wings or Leafs uni. Something should have been done to Maltby yet the Red colored glasses were on. Cheapshot if it was the other way Klesla would be gone for this season and half of next year

Old
04-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Bertuzzi could be playing if he wore a Wings or Leafs uni. Something should have been done to Maltby yet the Red colored glasses were on. Cheapshot if it was the other way Klesla would be gone for this season and half of next year
:lol

Good stuff. Especially the Bertuzzi sentence.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Sorry, I dont buy it. Both players were skating up ice. It was basically shoulder to shoulder. I will say that Maltby hit him slightly from behind, but it wasnt directly from behind. If the door is closed, Klesla would have taken a spill, not recieved a concussion since he would not have gone directly into the boards head first, and he wouldh have shrugged it off and taken Maltby's number down. Ya know...like in the old days.

He wouldnt have recieved a concussion at all.
I have the play on tape, Klesla was slipping he WAS in a compromising position, and he would have in fact smashed his face head first into the boards..it was a dangerous play.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
You're right though, Bertuzzi in a Leafs uniform would be sitting at home playing NHL 2004 with Belak right now.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:55 AM
c-carp

Quote:
I wonder what you'd be saying if Tyler Wright did the exact same thing to Niklas Lidstrom.
You know the answer already you dont have to ask. Wright would be the dirtiest SOB in the world.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:57 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Amen Bro

Old
04-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Come on, when a Preds fan comes on here and says it was a dirty hit, you know it is. The only people not saying it was are the Wings fans. The Preds fans hate the Wings and Jackets pretty evenly and he should be considered an unbiased third party in his opinion.

I'm a long time Wing fan living in Columbus. Maltby has always been my least favorite Wing for checks like that. He is a gutless, selfless hack that if not for expanison would never be in the league.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Total bias by ESPN.

Dude, the Blue Jackets announcer said it wasn't a dirty hit. But i guess you probably think they are on the Wings payroll too eh?

Old
04-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Come on, when a Preds fan comes on here and says it was a dirty hit, you know it is. The only people not saying it was are the Wings fans. The Preds fans hate the Wings and Jackets pretty evenly and he should be considered an unbiased third party in his opinion..

So the Blue Jacket fan on page 7 of this thread is lying. Same for the BLUE JACKETS own announcer.

This has been beating to death. No penalty was called, no suspension was issued. But it must be only because of a vast Red Wing conspiracy

Old
04-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Come on, when a Preds fan comes on here and says it was a dirty hit, you know it is. The only people not saying it was are the Wings fans. The Preds fans hate the Wings and Jackets pretty evenly and he should be considered an unbiased third party in his opinion.

I'm a long time Wing fan living in Columbus. Maltby has always been my least favorite Wing for checks like that. He is a gutless, selfless hack that if not for expanison would never be in the league.
So because a Nashville fan says that about a Detroit player, it must be true? Uh, I'm sure there's no bias there either. Have you not noticed the growing rivalry between Detroit and the Preds?

This has everything to do with Maltby and his reputation and little to do with the hit. No penalty, no suspension, every announcer that saw the hit didn't think it was dirty.

The only people saying it was a dirty hit are those who already hate Detroit and Maltby.

It cracks me up how many people hate Toronto because they say their fans are a bunch of whiners, yet other fans truly believe there's some great conspiracy where Detroit and Toronto get preferential treatment from the league.

Give me a break.

It was an unfortunate timed hit. Klesla will be okay. In spite of Maclean's histrionics, this is not another Bertuzzi incident.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
I have the play on tape, Klesla was slipping he WAS in a compromising position, and he would have in fact smashed his face head first into the boards..it was a dangerous play.
You have the play on tape? Wow...then you MUST be right.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Higgy4

[QUOTE=Sir Ozzie X]Come on, when a Preds fan comes on here and says it was a dirty hit, you know it is. The only people not saying it was are the Wings fans. The Preds fans hate the Wings and Jackets pretty evenly and he should be considered an unbiased third party in his opinion.
QUOTE]

Are you seriously saying that simply because a Preds fan thinks its a dirty play, that we should all agree that it is? :lol

What about the handful of Bluejacket fans who think it WASNT dirty? Their opinions are canceled out by the Preds fans?

Nice logic.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepts
So because a Nashville fan says that about a Detroit player, it must be true? Uh, I'm sure there's no bias there either. Have you not noticed the growing rivalry between Detroit and the Preds?

This has everything to do with Maltby and his reputation and little to do with the hit. No penalty, no suspension, every announcer that saw the hit didn't think it was dirty.

The only people saying it was a dirty hit are those who already hate Detroit and Maltby.

It cracks me up how many people hate Toronto because they say their fans are a bunch of whiners, yet other fans truly believe there's some great conspiracy where Detroit and Toronto get preferential treatment from the league.

Give me a break.

It was an unfortunate timed hit. Klesla will be okay. In spite of Maclean's histrionics, this is not another Bertuzzi incident.
I agree. The hatred for the Wings and Leafs is at epidemic proportions. People sit at their computers and anxiously wait for any Leaf or Wing to do anything REMOTELY questionable. Then it becomes a 9 page thread. :lol

I feel the love.

Closed Thread