HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

proposal-High Seeds Pick opponents

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Hold the Pickles

vCash: 500
proposal-High Seeds Pick opponents

I've always thought it unfair to top seeds that they may end up playing an early-season-sleeper that has come on fire to barely make the PO's. The 1st seed battles all year, for what...the opportunitly to play the Hottest team in hockey in the 1st round. I've been tooling around with an idea to give top seeds a choice on who they play without having to throw games (a major league pet peve of mine) to avoid a certain match-up. I think this revision is the most fair.

For both Conferences

1st seed can pick to play the #7 or #8 seed
2nd seed can pick to play the #6 seed or the remaining seed between #7/#8
3rd seed can pick to play the #5 seed or the remaining seed between #6/#7/#8
4th seed gets home ice and plays the only team not picked.

My original idea was to have the 1st seed be able to pick from seeds 5-8 with the next 2 seeds picking from the remaings seeds, but that makes seeds 5-8 basicly the same in the 1st round. It'd at least be nice to know that if you finish 6th, you can avoid the #1 seed at least in the 1st round.

I think this would make the regular season more exciting and important, give the top seeds a chance to avoid their nemesis, yet still have motivation for middle seeds to win--All without having to throw games at the end (which could effect other teams) in order to avoid a certain match-up.

What do you think?

Old
03-31-2004, 08:27 PM
X8oD

while i dont think this would ever be allowed

IF it was, they would have to scrap the division leaders get one of the top 3 seeds rule. because a division leader can soemtimes have worse points than a 4th or 5th place team.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Blackjack

I think that if I'm the #1 seed the last thing I want to do is announce to the world who I want to play in the first round. Every player on the other team is going to be twice as motivated as they otherwise would have been, and even if they lose, their competiveness could easliy translate to dirty play.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Hold the Pickles

I'm not sure X8oD. the top 3 teams only get 2 choices. the same "injustice" exists in the NHL as we speak.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Hold the Pickles

Blackjack

The 1st seed could "Decline to pick" and take the automatic 8th, just as would happen today.

I refuse to answer that question as it may incriminate me, I take the 5th and will play the 8th .

Closed Thread