HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zherdev awarded $3.9M (Update: Rangers walk away from ruling)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2009, 02:41 PM
potvins4cups

vCash: 500
Problem with zherdev is, he seems like a person who if the arbitrator awards him anything between what he was making last year and let's say $3,500,000, he seems like someone that would sulk at that amount. wouldn't surprise me if the rangers let him walk regardless of what he gets awarded, other teams might be wary of dealing with him and zherdev then heads back home to the khl.

Old
07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Somebody gave Avery 4 years at 4 million.

Somebody is going to give Zherdev more on the open market. There will be a dozen teams lining up for him.
There are probably only a half dozen teams though with enough cap room for what he wants and whether some of them are willing to go that high is another question. I imagine he'll have at least 2 or 3 serious bidders to choose from if he goes UFA.

On Avery--he may not be the talent that Zherdev is but he affects most games he's in--in one way or another. He's not a floater and he is a pretty decent player all the same who is fairly versatile. And it wasn't the Rangers that gave him that contract--it was Dallas. And Dallas is picking up half of that for its term which means he's costing us less than $2 mil per year which is a hell of a deal when you consider how soft this team was before he returned.

Old
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
Problem with zherdev is, he seems like a person who if the arbitrator awards him anything between what he was making last year and let's say $3,500,000, he seems like someone that would sulk at that amount. wouldn't surprise me if the rangers let him walk regardless of what he gets awarded, other teams might be wary of dealing with him and zherdev then heads back home to the khl.
Based on what?

Old
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
FLYLine24*

What ever happened to the the arbitrator either picks side A or B. Not a middle number?

I thought that's how it was going to go? Or was that just an idea during the lockout?

Old
07-26-2009, 04:06 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
What ever happened to the the arbitrator either picks side A or B. Not a middle number?

I thought that's how it was going to go? Or was that just an idea during the lockout?
That's how arbitration (outside of the NHL / sports) usually works, but in the NHL the arb can pick any number in the range.

07-26-2009, 04:06 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:

Then it would make no sense at all for Z to go with 4.5. He'd never win it. As stated before, it'll be between A and B, and Z wants to put a high number out there to increase the chance of getting somewhat more than otherwise. If the arbitrators work that way..

Old
07-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
If we let him walk for nothing I will be PISSED.

Horrific asset management if that does indeed come to pass.
After dumping Gomez to Montreal, New York's management could do some of the stupidest things and still look fairly decent.

Kidding aside, there comes a time when you have to draw the line and paying nearly $5 million for an underacheiving player is ridiculous. Those who claim if he had an allstar like Ovechkin on his line he would produce. No one seems to recall he spent his first years in the NHL lined up with Rick Nash, who is certainly no slouch. Zherdev needs to learn you are not given a free ride and should he attempt to demand that much money, it makes the suggestion he is a money player and once he has his contract will not given much of a damn for his team. Prove your worth first, than demand high rewards. If he settled for $3 million for one year deal and netted 70-80 points, he could easily command more. If he failed to do so once again, well he is a bust.

Of course with how freely New York has handed out money, you cannot entirely blame him for playing his hand. Gomez made $7.6 million, Gaborik is going to make roughly the same, Redden is making $6.6 million and etc.

Frankly I'd say let him walk and sign someone like Tanguay for the money he wants. You are at least more likely to have results and in the case of Tanguay, could back out in a year or two should he not pan out as one would have hoped.

Old
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
After dumping Gomez to Montreal, New York's management could do some of the stupidest things and still look fairly decent.

Kidding aside, there comes a time when you have to draw the line and paying nearly $5 million for an underacheiving player is ridiculous. Those who claim if he had an allstar like Ovechkin on his line he would produce. No one seems to recall he spent his first years in the NHL lined up with Rick Nash, who is certainly no slouch. Zherdev needs to learn you are not given a free ride and should he attempt to demand that much money, it makes the suggestion he is a money player and once he has his contract will not given much of a damn for his team. Prove your worth first, than demand high rewards. If he settled for $3 million for one year deal and netted 70-80 points, he could easily command more. If he failed to do so once again, well he is a bust.

Of course with how freely New York has handed out money, you cannot entirely blame him for playing his hand. Gomez made $7.6 million, Gaborik is going to make roughly the same, Redden is making $6.6 million and etc.

Frankly I'd say let him walk and sign someone like Tanguay for the money he wants. You are at least more likely to have results and in the case of Tanguay, could back out in a year or two should he not pan out as one would have hoped.
Thats money they commanded on the open market though, when many teams were bidding for one player. This is a different scenario here, though you cant blame the guy for shooting for the stars, i would think that if Z had any aspirations for playing only in New York, he would realize that to make it work he might have to settle for a little less..

Old
07-26-2009, 04:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Our top-9 without Zherdev is already pretty jammed as it is, I don't really see a need to sign Tanguay. All I was saying is that walking away from the award would piss me off because if Sather knew how much Z wanted (and knew it wouldn't fit into our budget) he should have traded him a month ago. If they can't keep him, they should get something for him - letting him walk for nothing would be yet another example of horric asset management.

Old
07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Our top-9 without Zherdev is already pretty jammed as it is, I don't really see a need to sign Tanguay. All I was saying is that walking away from the award would piss me off because if Sather knew how much Z wanted (and knew it wouldn't fit into our budget) he should have traded him a month ago. If they can't keep him, they should get something for him - letting him walk for nothing would be yet another example of horric asset management.
+1

Losing Zherdev (and Tyutin in the process) for nothing would be nothing short of disastrous, besides the fact that you gain cap room.

Old
07-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
he could submit any number he wants, i still highly doubt he makes over 4..

Old
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
From his cap hit of $3.25 to a salary of $4.5 is almost a 40% raise (Actually 38.46%, so I rounded up ). A 40% raise for a player who is still an RFA mind you. Who had 58pts (down 3 pts from the previous season) and disapeared in the playoffs..
+1

I would give Nick somewhere between 3.25 - 3.80. Anything higher than that no thanks...

Old
07-26-2009, 07:21 PM
pwoz

I'd give Z a nice contract if the cap going up another $5m this season (and after next), but it only went up $100k and might go down next year.

Must be nice to be a baseball fan.

Old
07-26-2009, 07:38 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
+1

Losing Zherdev (and Tyutin in the process) for nothing would be nothing short of disastrous, besides the fact that you gain cap room.
Why does everyone on here whine about asset management? I mean, I know that you can't simply let you players walk for nothing all of the time. But, Tyutin was deemed expendable and shipped off for a player who was somewhat of a risk in Zherdev. The Rangers made the trade, hoping it would work out, and KNOWING ALL ALONG that Zherdev was an RFA and could not be with the team this year. Just because he elected for arbitration it would be horrible asset management to walk away? The Rangers knew this was a possibility all along.

It's sports. Not every deal will work out. As Rangers fans, we certainly know that. Not every trade will work out, and even if a player you trade away turns into a superstar, we can only assume that they were gotten for value at the time (and yes, cap space is another commodity that can be gained as part of a trade, even if the player/pick return for an asset is not deemed "worthy"). It's too difficult to try an ensure that you will be "winning" every trade like we did with the Gomez deal (although that was an absolute fleecing). It's also too difficult to ensure that every move you make is done for something in return. What if the Rangers want to walk away from Zherdev because they feel Grachev is ready to take his place? (Just an example!!!) Is that not one form of asset management, and if it works out, isn't it GOOD asset management?

We know, according to Rangers Report, that Slats has been discussing trades with teams based on Zherdev's salary. If they work out a deal with another club, then that's great asset management. But if no market existed (I know one does here), it's better to walk if the Rangers don't want him than to accept an offer just because we be losing him for "nothing". What if no deal could be had? Could the cap space not be better used someplace else?

For what it's worth, I'm sure you guys all would say that it was horrible asset management to trade Tyutin for Zherdev if he signed with a KHL team earlier this summer.

Old
07-26-2009, 08:41 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

Actually that's how it used to work in the NHL, but it was changed in more recent CBAs.

Old
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
We could submit a bid lower than his qualifier?
I glanced at the CBA and couldn't find anything that says the Rangers are required to offer the qualifying offer amount. That offer has expired. Nick may regret not having signed it.

Old
07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I glanced at the CBA and couldn't find anything that says the Rangers are required to offer the qualifying offer amount. That offer has expired. Nick may regret not having signed it.
No chance he gets below his 3.25 QO. None. Zero. Zilch. We've all see the comparables. He'll get 3.75-4M.

Old
07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:

I forgot about that. Honestly, a good result should come somewhere in the middle.

Ex.Zherdev asks for 4.5 and the Rangers stick with the 3.25 qualifier.

His reward likely will be 3.75 or up. Either way, he's not returning.

Old
07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Why does everyone on here whine about asset management?
Because in the new NHL (with its limited budget), you have to get the most value out of every asset in your organization to be successful long term. And because of late the Rangers have made some questionable moves in that department.

Quote:
I mean, I know that you can't simply let you players walk for nothing all of the time. But, Tyutin was deemed expendable and shipped off for a player who was somewhat of a risk in Zherdev. The Rangers made the trade, hoping it would work out, and KNOWING ALL ALONG that Zherdev was an RFA and could not be with the team this year.
I personally am not commenting on the original deal. I stood behind it then and though it clearly looks like it won't pan out I refuse to abuse the benefit of hindsight to rip Sather for the move. I'm upset at the possibility of losing a quality asset for nothing NOW when clearly other arrangements could have been made.

Quote:
Just because he elected for arbitration it would be horrible asset management to walk away? The Rangers knew this was a possibility all along.

What if the Rangers want to walk away from Zherdev because they feel Grachev is ready to take his place? (Just an example!!!) Is that not one form of asset management, and if it works out, isn't it GOOD asset management?
If the Rangers feel Grachev is ready to take Z's place, fine by me. But you shouldn't let a guy walk for NOTHING. If Gomez can be moved, you bet your ass we could get something of value for Zherdev - and probably could have gotten more at the draft if Sather had spoken with Z's agent and knew he would be demanding too much. It is never "good" asset management to lose an effective player (who isn't a UFA and you have leverage over) for nothing, period.

Quote:
We know, according to Rangers Report, that Slats has been discussing trades with teams based on Zherdev's salary. If they work out a deal with another club, then that's great asset management. But if no market existed (I know one does here), it's better to walk if the Rangers don't want him than to accept an offer just because we be losing him for "nothing". What if no deal could be had? Could the cap space not be better used someplace else?
Again, maybe management believes the cap space could be better used elsewhere (I'm not buying it...IMO Z >>> Kotalik...but I'm not the GM). If that is the case, by all means I hope Sather plans on trading Z. But in this case, where a market clearly exsists (or at the very least certainly exsisted), letting an asset walk would be mornic.

Old
07-26-2009, 10:38 PM
NYR Viper

I would really doubt Sather lets Zherdev go without getting something back. I would expect something like a 3.6 million dollar salary for 1 season and he will be traded for something of value.

Old
07-26-2009, 10:44 PM
NY Ranger86

I really hope Murray's waiting for the arbitration award. Get us HEATER!

Old
07-27-2009, 12:04 AM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Why does everyone on here whine about asset management? I mean, I know that you can't simply let you players walk for nothing all of the time. But, Tyutin was deemed expendable and shipped off for a player who was somewhat of a risk in Zherdev. The Rangers made the trade, hoping it would work out, and KNOWING ALL ALONG that Zherdev was an RFA and could not be with the team this year. Just because he elected for arbitration it would be horrible asset management to walk away? The Rangers knew this was a possibility all along.

It's sports. Not every deal will work out. As Rangers fans, we certainly know that. Not every trade will work out, and even if a player you trade away turns into a superstar, we can only assume that they were gotten for value at the time (and yes, cap space is another commodity that can be gained as part of a trade, even if the player/pick return for an asset is not deemed "worthy"). It's too difficult to try an ensure that you will be "winning" every trade like we did with the Gomez deal (although that was an absolute fleecing). It's also too difficult to ensure that every move you make is done for something in return. What if the Rangers want to walk away from Zherdev because they feel Grachev is ready to take his place? (Just an example!!!) Is that not one form of asset management, and if it works out, isn't it GOOD asset management?

For what it's worth, I'm sure you guys all would say that it was horrible asset management to trade Tyutin for Zherdev if he signed with a KHL team earlier this summer.
I could understand this attitude if we were discussing a fringe 4th liner although I would still disagree. This guy is a 25 year old 60 point scorer. There is always a market for that. Even if we signed him and traded him away for one draft pick it would be a better move. Why take nothing when you could have something? Even if we had just won the cup and were a favorite to repeat I would do everything in my power to get a return. Just because a guy doesn't fit on the team doesn't mean you don't demand a return for him. Just ask Bryan Murray. Heatley will be a senator until murray feels he's getting a fair return.

Even one single draft pick for Zherdev would be a better move than letting him walk. Think about it like this - how many lotto tickets would you prefer to have? One or Zero?

Last edited by RegalRangers: 07-27-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
No chance he gets below his 3.25 QO. None. Zero. Zilch. We've all seen the comparables. He'll get 3.75-4M.
I'd be surprised if his settlement is below $3.25MM but my point is that unless I am missing something, the Rangers are not bound to offer $3.25MM. And it may make sense that the Rangers will put a lower number on the table to balance what they see as an egregiously high number from Z. Let's say the Rangers offer $2.5MM (his 3 year contract average) and Z says $4.5MM. The arbitor may still choose to split the difference. Yes, I've seen the comparables but a lot of the analysis I read here is suspect and I don't believe I can put myself in understanding how a third party will view the respective arguments. Keep in mind that many of the comparables stated include a player giving up some UFA time (all of a sudden not so comparable) and Z's shortcomings; like no points in 7 playoff games will be discussed at length. That will be part of the Rangers presentation. And also remember, this is the same management team that went aggressively after Sean Avery in arbitration two years ago. This won't be pretty. (Can't wait to read Brooks on Sunday to hear some of the quotes) That's a taste of what's in store for Z on Friday.

Last edited by bobbop: 07-27-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old
07-27-2009, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:

The NHL and NHLPA chickened out and kept the old format. MLB has the other system and players hardly file for arbitration. In the NHL system, the player always gets a raise.

Old
07-27-2009, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If the Rangers walk away,will another team offer $3.25 million for 1 season? Money around the NHL is tight. Most of the teams have spent their money. Some teams have to shed salary to be in compliance with the cap.

Closed Thread