HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues looking for D-man

Old
07-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management View Post
Well said. Add E.J. to that list. I really like what the Blues have going.

Building a deal around Perron would be a nice idea.
I knew I forgot someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Finger for Kariya.
Stralman for Eller.
Frogren for Sonne.
This is a joke right?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:00 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post

This is a joke right?
Curious is Kariya playing this year or are they just keeping his 6 million on the cap for no reason?

Any chance Eller is going to try and play in North America?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
How about we swap stralman for a forward prospect on St Louis?
In theory, not a bad idea. In practise, I personally don't think it would work. If Brewer is out, St. Louis wants a vet to help stabilize the blueline, not another youngster. That's short-term. Long-term, STL has drafted defensemen in the first round in the past 4 years. They pretty much have a solid young group of 4-5 young guys/prospects (EJ and Polak are already in the NHL) with another 4-5 prospects who are a step below them. Throw in a vet or two for the experience/depth, and I don't think Stralman would get a better chance in the long run in St. Louis than he's getting right now in Toronto. As it's looking right now, St. Louis will probably have to trade away a few D prospects within the next few years. Of course there's always the chance that some don't develop as projected and such, but I don't think Stralman really fits what STL needs, in the present or future.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Curious is Kariya playing this year or are they just keeping his 6 million on the cap for no reason?

Any chance Eller is going to try and play in North America?
Kariya was reportedly very close to coming back for the playoffs, so everyone is expecting he will be good to go this season, and no news has come out to expect otherwise.

Eller said he is definitely playing in NA this season, and obviously his goal is to make the Blues, but he will play AHL if they want him to. He could probably slide in pretty well onto the 3rd line. The Blues are carrying something like 14 forwards right now, which is really just so unneccessary.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Kariya was reportedly very close to coming back for the playoffs, so everyone is expecting he will be good to go this season, and no news has come out to expect otherwise.

Eller said he is definitely playing in NA this season, and obviously his goal is to make the Blues, but he will play AHL if they want him to. He could probably slide in pretty well onto the 3rd line. The Blues are carrying something like 14 forwards right now, which is really just so unneccessary.
Time flies. Kariya 35 years old this season. WOW.

Sounds like the Leafs' Blake.

Old
07-27-2009, 02:24 AM
KesseltoLupul

Kaberle and Stajan for Perron and Janssen

Boyes - McDonald - Kariya
Backes - Berglund - Oshie
Steen - Stajan - Tkachuk
Crombeen - McClement - Winchester

Kaberle - Brewer
Jackman - Johnson
Polak - Colaiacovo

Mason
Conklin

Makes for a pretty solid blues team both upfront and in the back end.

Gives the leafs some scoring up front and some youth.

Ponikarovsky - Grabovski - Kulemin
Perron - Bozak - Blake
Hagman - Mitchell - Stempniak
Orr - Hanson - Mayers
Janssen

Komisarek - Beauchemin
Schenn - Finger
White - Exelby

Toskala
Gustavsson

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:35 AM
MickKaine

D.J. King and (Brett Sonne or Nicholas Drazenovic) for Mike Van Ryn?

MickKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickKaine View Post
D.J. King and (Brett Sonne or Nicholas Drazenovic) for Mike Van Ryn?
Sonne was the WHL Player of the Year and is expected by some to make the jump straight to the NHL. I've never heard of Drazenovic. Doesn't seem like that close a toss up.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Time flies. Kariya 35 years old this season. WOW.

Sounds like the Leafs' Blake.
Kariya was putting up over a ppg before he got injured this year, he still has a couple good years left in him.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 08:12 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Kariya was putting up over a ppg before he got injured this year, he still has a couple good years left in him.
Yep, he started the season well.

Blake started the season poorly.

Kariya's last full season (2007-2008) he had 65 points in 82 games.
Blake's last full season (2008-2009) he had 63 points in 78 games.

Blake is a year older, but these smaller, faster players are more protected in today's NHL.

Old
07-27-2009, 09:44 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Brandon Crombeen is the guy I'd be looking to acquire for a depth defender like Van Ryn.

If we're talking about a bigger deal, Eller has to be the guy targetted seeing as Oshie and Berglund are pretty much untouchable.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 10:00 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
Brandon Crombeen is the guy I'd be looking to acquire for a depth defender like Van Ryn.

If we're talking about a bigger deal, Eller has to be the guy targetted seeing as Oshie and Berglund are pretty much untouchable.
Eller has also proven nothing, so is a gamble that he can even be an NHL player.

Old
07-27-2009, 10:06 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Eller has also proven nothing, so is a gamble that he can even be an NHL player.
He's proven as much as any other blue chip prospect like JVR, Hodgson or your favourite Colin Wilson. But, in his case, he was the top scorer in the SEL under the age of 20, and from everything I've been hearing he;s pretty much NHL ready.

He may be a gamble, but he's a good gamble because he has tons of upside. The fact that he is unproven may be the only reason we could get him at a decent price.

At their prospect camp, he was pretty much unanimously hailed as the best player there and he was only a couple of months removed from shoulder surgery.

Old
07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Personally unless a team offers something huge, I think Toronto should hold on to Kaberle and attempt to move him later on, around the deadline. Yeah he has a NTC, which could play a factor in what happens however if he waives it you are dealing with desperate GMs trying to find that final piece and Kaberle could go for double his value.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's proven as much as any other blue chip prospect like JVR, Hodgson or your favourite Colin Wilson. But, in his case, he was the top scorer in the SEL under the age of 20, and from everything I've been hearing he;s pretty much NHL ready.

He may be a gamble, but he's a good gamble because he has tons of upside. The fact that he is unproven may be the only reason we could get him at a decent price.

At their prospect camp, he was pretty much unanimously hailed as the best player there and he was only a couple of months removed from shoulder surgery.
Hey, I agree they are all gambles. I'm sure he's won some tournament somewhere ... maybe like Hodgson at the World's, or Wilson at the Final Four ... right?

And he is the type of player I think any Kaberle deal should be involved in ... unproven with potential. Let's face it proven with more potential is more costly (to trade for) than unproven with potential.

Bigger risk and reward with unproven players.

Old
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM
stlbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond hockey vet View Post
dave perron seems to be a little less cherished than the rest, any interest or shot?
Perron is the second best selling jersey after Oshie. If they trade him they had better get a kessel or the like in return or a lot of the PR that JD has been doing over the past few years will take a hit. They have finally brought the fans back after 4 dismal seasons and the main reason for that is all of the excitement over all of the kids that we have amassed as basement dwellers. If Perron is traded there will be first reaction backlash, however if the casual fans see someone come in and put up as many or more points then they will just be pissed that they bought his jersey and all will be forgiven. Oshie at this point is just untouchable. He reminds the blues fans of Brian Sutter with a lot more talent. He along with EJ will be a Blue for a long long time.

That being said I think a deal could be done for some of our prospects or picks.

stlbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan View Post
Perron is the second best selling jersey after Oshie. If they trade him they had better get a kessel or the like in return or a lot of the PR that JD has been doing over the past few years will take a hit. They have finally brought the fans back after 4 dismal seasons and the main reason for that is all of the excitement over all of the kids that we have amassed as basement dwellers. If Perron is traded there will be first reaction backlash, however if the casual fans see someone come in and put up as many or more points then they will just be pissed that they bought his jersey and all will be forgiven. Oshie at this point is just untouchable. He reminds the blues fans of Brian Sutter with a lot more talent. He along with EJ will be a Blue for a long long time.

That being said I think a deal could be done for some of our prospects or picks.
Perron reminds me of Jason Blake. Which is not a bad thing. He might have a bit higher ceiling. I just don't see Burke being interested in bringing in a player like that.

Old
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Perron reminds me of Jason Blake. Which is not a bad thing. He might have a bit higher ceiling. I just don't see Burke being interested in bringing in a player like that.
How so? I don't see it at all, except for them both being wingers. Perron is bigger (but not huge), works off his stickhandling and is great in traffic. Blake works off the rush usually and most his chances come off his speed.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:43 PM
stlbluesfan

http://blues.nhl.tv/team/console?typ...id=20722&tab=4

"The future is in our hands......but then we traded it to Toronto, hope nobody minds."

Old
07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
The Management

Quote:

http://blues.nhl.tv/team/console?typ...id=20722&tab=4

"The future is in our hands......but then we traded it to Toronto, hope nobody minds."

That would make for a pretty entertaining memo.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
How so? I don't see it at all, except for them both being wingers. Perron is bigger (but not huge), works off his stickhandling and is great in traffic. Blake works off the rush usually and most his chances come off his speed.
They are both smaller, stop-start type of players. They use their quickness to find ways to get to the net and make plays.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Not looking like we Leafs have stralman anymore to replace Kaberle, so it doesn't look like Kaberle is going anywhere. But Van Ryn would be great value for Blues fans, as while he was in the lineup we were winning at like an .800% or something rediculous like that, so he's an impact defender but just has injury problems. So it's a risky deal which is why a 3rd round pick and maybe a 7th round pick (to get back one we lost in the stralman deal) for Van Ryn would be best.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
MickKaine

Quote:
Perron is the second best selling jersey after Oshie.
Where can someone finds the records of this?

MickKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Arian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Kaberle for Berglund

Kaberle for McDonald + 2nd

Kaberle + Stempniak for Backes
I want Kaberle gone, but I don't think the 3rd proposal really makes any sense. 40 pt scorer + 1st pairing puck mover for Backes who had 1 really nice year at around 60 pts in 30 goals. Is the price really Kaberle to upgrade 20 pts, although we add toughness?

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
stlbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickKaine View Post
Where can someone finds the records of this?
Don't know, I heard it on a weekly radio program that one of the sports beat writers does every week during the season. Presumably he got the info from someone in the organization.