HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Despres

Old
07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
BrookswasHere44

vCash: 500
Simon Despres

How long is his development expected to be? Just curious...where is he to play next year AHL?

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Jacob

He's not elligible for the AHL until the start of the 2011-2012 season, so.

He'll probably be back in the Q for at least the next couple years. Seems like a guy with some pretty impressive physical tools but in general just needs to utilize them more and gain experience.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:20 PM
D Heinze

Lots and lots of good information on Despres and other prospects by our friends CertifiedPublicGuin and Ian

on the "prospects" thread

on the "prospects conditioning camp thread"

on the "flow of prospects" thread

and Faceoff Factor is working on a prospects section - they are reliable

Enough for you?

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Kman777

Habs fan here.

I saw this guy play against my Mooseheads here in Halifax and he was absolutely dominant. Totally obliterated a guy coming through center ice, was everywhere, he had everyone on our team completely intimidated you could tell. Not even just with his physical game, the way he skated and passed the puck you could see he was thinking the game at a higher level.

I mean maybe I just caught him on a good day but he looked REALLY good. I love what I hear about Louis Leblanc but I was sort of hoping we would find a way to grab this guy too.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Billy Crawford

Has it not occured to you yet that you that you can search in the forum before opening threads all the time?

Billy Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
dd7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy de Paris View Post
Has it not occured to you yet that you that you can search in the forum before opening threads all the time?
has it not occured to you when people have rookie user next to thier name they might not know to search or how to.check old topics Seriously some of you get a bigger thrill out of calling people out than actually talking hockey

dd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
D Heinze

Hey, Billy de Paris - I am going to be heading to France for three years (grad school) - if you have advice PM or message me on here.

Lots of questions, not the least of which are, where/how do you play hockey?
An easeir question is where do you watch it.

Kman777, any reviews or comments you may have on this guy would be welcome. Firsthand review of him will be sparse until he turns AHL

edit - DD7, you are right. People have got to calm their tempers on internet messaging boards in general, but for HF, I'd say the young squire Brooks has gotten off easy, yea?

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
He absolutely needs another year, possibly two more in juniors. Then a year or two of AHL. Conservatively, he's four years away.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:07 PM
dd7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Heinze View Post
Hey, Billy de Paris - I am going to be heading to France for three years (grad school) - if you have advice PM or message me on here.

Lots of questions, not the least of which are, where/how do you play hockey?
An easeir question is where do you watch it.

Kman777, any reviews or comments you may have on this guy would be welcome. Firsthand review of him will be sparse until he turns AHL

edit - DD7, you are right. People have got to calm their tempers on internet messaging boards in general, but for HF, I'd say the young squire Brooks has gotten off easy, yea?
i keep my mouth shut and just read for the most part but some posters think newbies should know to look instead of making them feel welcome and help them learn is just plain ignorant

Old
07-26-2009, 08:08 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
He absolutely needs another year, possibly two more in juniors. Then a year or two of AHL. Conservatively, he's four years away.
Yep. You need to be 20 years old if coming from the CHL to play in the AHL, correct? So this is a question, even though it may not look like one, but that'd mean he won't even be eligible to play in the AHL next year? Because personally I think 1 big year of juniors will be plenty for him; he'll be playing HUGE minutes for St. John this year and I don't know if another year of the same would do anything for him. Multiple years of pro is good for anyone, of course. I'd prefer to see him take the route of 1 year in juniors, pending he gets huge minutes, and then 2 years of AHL, but that's only possible if my thinking is wrong and he's AHL-eligible after this season.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Matt Damon

I believe you have to be 20 years old by December 31st of the hockey season to be eligible to play in the A if you were coming out of the Canadian Hockey League. So he won't be in the AHL next year or even the year after. IMO, that would be fine, I'd like to see him play for Canada at the World Juniors this year and possibly even be team captain the following year (Kris Letang).

Matt Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
WVP

Yeah, 2 more years in the Q unless he makes the NHL team before then.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Billy Crawford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd7 View Post
has it not occured to you when people have rookie user next to thier name they might not know to search or how to.check old topics Seriously some of you get a bigger thrill out of calling people out than actually talking hockey
You can check my posting history and see that I don't call people out often at all, and then check BrookswasHere44's posting history and see why I did it. And you can search without the search button, you just need to read. There are at least 3 threads on page 1 of this board where Després is being talked about.

Billy Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:40 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac67 View Post
I believe you have to be 20 years old by December 31st of the hockey season to be eligible to play in the A if you were coming out of the Canadian Hockey League. So he won't be in the AHL next year or even the year after. IMO, that would be fine, I'd like to see him play for Canada at the World Juniors this year and possibly even be team captain the following year (Kris Letang).
Thanks a lot. It seems Brandinho's 4 year window might be more accurate, since this is the case. It seems almost certain he'll be in juniors for 2 years, because unless we're dying for a cheap defenseman after this season, he won't be rushed into the league. After the 2 years, he once again probably wouldn't quite be ready for the immediate jump right into the league, though I'm not gonna sell this kid short, but he may take an entire year in the A, after the 2 years of junior.

Regardless, you can't ever measure a kid's ultimate potential based on how long it takes him to get there. Not everyone is (in fact just about nobody is) a freak like Crosby, Malkin, or Staal, etc...

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedPublicGuin View Post
Regardless, you can't ever measure a kid's ultimate potential based on how long it takes him to get there. Not everyone is (in fact just about nobody is) a freak like Crosby, Malkin, or Staal, etc...
He might even be ready after 2 years of Junior, but it could be that they keep him in the AHL for 2 more years after that. Look at Jakub Kindl -- very nice looking prospect from the 05 class and has only benefited from Detroit's patience.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
dd7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy de Paris View Post
You can check my posting history and see that I don't call people out often at all, and then check BrookswasHere44's posting history and see why I did it. And you can search without the search button, you just need to read. There are at least 3 threads on page 1 of this board where Després is being talked about.
the thing is I do read people calling people out here happens way to much if I have to click on 2 more threads I dont care you know what I choose to come here to read hockey talk if I have to click on a topic repeated multiple times cause they dont know how to work the forum yet its no big deal . this forum is turning into a bunch of message board pirates bullying people to suit thier needs and likes. you have good posters like cole and you have people who like to attack newer posters cause thier style does not mesh with what they want the boards to be like. I was told a long time ago to voice my opinion and I am now watching long time posters force thier opions on people this does not seem like a message board any longer it is more like a clique and this is not directeted at you you just gave me the tool to say my peace

Old
07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd7 View Post
Its not like this is the first thread this OP has made where it's a redundant question that is easily answered by clicking on another thread in the very first page.

It qualifies as spam and someone needed to tell him, Billy did the right thing.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 09:54 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I think that very well could happen. Gonch will be gone then and they might not be able to keep all the young guys they have now cap wise and Despres could be an affordable option in 2 years.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:30 PM
moonknight31

i wouldnt be surprised at all if he plays in the q this year, and then get a chance to play in the nhl next season at least for a bit

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
The Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
What would stop us from putting him on our pro roster and then just putting him on the Baby Pens?

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey89 View Post
What would stop us from putting him on our pro roster and then just putting him on the Baby Pens?
Rules.

Old
07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Brandinho

Quote:
Nothing. Gary Bettman would allow it.

Old
07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
The Doof Warrior

I'm being serious. I was just curious about what the specific reason is why we couldn't.

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Brandinho

Quote:
I'm being serious. I was just curious about what the specific reason is why we couldn't.
You have to be 20 years old to play in the AHL if you're drafted from the CHL. Guys like Andrei Loktionov who are drafted from Russia and then come to the CHL after their draft year are exempt.

Old
07-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Jacob

Because his rights are held by a junior team so he isn't elligible for the AHL.

If you want to get technical, we could keep him on the NHL roster, ask him to agree to a season-long conditioning stint and send him to the AHL. But he'd still count against the cap since he'd still technically be on the NHL roster.

Or we could just send him to juniors, you know, like what teams do with hundreds of prospects each and every year. There's nothing really special about Despres to the extent that we should try and bend a bunch of rules for him.