HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Despres

Old
07-27-2009, 12:35 AM
cdenn15

vCash: 500
So he's anywhere from 1 to 4 years away. Hhhmmm sounds familiar.

cdenn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:24 AM
vcx*

Shero knows a thing or two about drafting defenseman, so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt with this one. Despres is a raw defenseman in terms of what kind of skillset he has and what he can do with it.

I am going to say he puts up a very impressive season next year offensively and really starts to show parts of his game that we all would hope he had.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRast View Post
Shero knows a thing or two about drafting defenseman, so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt with this one. Despres is a raw defenseman in terms of what kind of skillset he has and what he can do with it.

I am going to say he puts up a very impressive season next year offensively and really starts to show parts of his game that we all would hope he had.
The only aspect of his game that's raw is offense but he's REALLY raw in that regard. That's the biggest reason he needs to spend more time in the Saint John and then Wilkes-Barre.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:09 AM
moonknight31

yea from everything ive heard hes seems good enuff defensively to be given a shot but hes uber raw on the getting the puck out of the zone and making good passes from what ive heard

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 08:34 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
The only aspect of his game that's raw is offense but he's REALLY raw in that regard. That's the biggest reason he needs to spend more time in the Saint John and then Wilkes-Barre.
I've seen Despres play a few times while I was watching Alex Grant, and this is pretty much spot on. He'll benefit from being the #1 guy in Saint John and will probably see close to 30 minutes of ice-time a night. That's probably the ideal scenario for his development, so there's no point to rush him.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Jacob

SJ seems like a great situation for his development. They're an improved team with a couple imports coming in and an NHL-caliber head coach in Gallant.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:18 AM
J4M13

I live in saint John and I'm a Sea Dogs season ticket holder, so I've seen Simon play a lot.

The best skill he has is skating. It's effortless for him to pinch, and still be the first guy back. Best skater to come through here, bar none.

The offence is quite raw, as was mentioned above. A couple of the reasons wer a lack of PP time, and a lack of a steady partner. The old coach here had some sort of mental block where he couldn't leave a line or defensive pairing together for much more than a period. He would consistently use four, and sometimes 5 forwards on the PP. So Simon barely saw the ice on the PP, generally in the last few seconds when the opposing player was about to come back on. So while it was technically PP time, his responsibility was primarily defensive.

So, while the offence is not refined in any way, it`s more a lack of opportunity than a lack of ability.

On D, Simon has been more than capable of playing against anyone in this league. He was one or two years younger than most of the offensive stars, but you would never know it in his own end.

There is a new coaching staff in town this year, led by former NHLer and NHL head coach Gerard Gallant. It`s part of a makeover to keep the team competitive, while building for a bid to host the 2012 Memorial Cup. This bodes extremely well for Simon, as he`d be the anchor on D for one of teams in the top junior tournament in the country.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps you guys figure out where to place him on your depth charts...

Last edited by J4M13: 07-27-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
J4M13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Jacob

He'd have to be an overager to participate in the 2012 Mem. cup, right?

Thanks for the insight.

Old
07-27-2009, 09:40 AM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

I really don't think he'd be back in the Q for his overage season, it's pretty standard for 20 year old prospects to get some seasoning for at least a year or two in the AHL. After playing 3 years in the Q your pretty much ready for the next level of development, IMO.

However if they did happen to host the Mem Cup in his overage year there is a possibilty, however I still think Pittsburgh/his agent/him would want to be in the AHL earning a pro contract and developing him.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:50 AM
J4M13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
I really don't think he'd be back in the Q for his overage season, it's pretty standard for 20 year old prospects to get some seasoning for at least a year or two in the AHL. After playing 3 years in the Q your pretty much ready for the next level of development, IMO.

However if they did happen to host the Mem Cup in his overage year there is a possibilty, however I still think Pittsburgh/his agent/him would want to be in the AHL earning a pro contract and developing him.
You`re right...my math was off. Take pity on a guy who was actually forced to use a sick day for being actually sick today...

It`s far more likely that he`d be traded in his 19 season (2010-11) at Christmastime for a large return.

We`re being brainwashed here with the hype for 2011-12. It`s bound to slow down under the new regime, but it seemed for a while like every decision was based on a Mem Cup bid.

J4M13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Other than the first pass, I could care less about his offense. Sure it would be nice if he could get 40 points a year but I'm hoping that he'll develope a mean streak. A nasty player with that size and skating ability is exactly what the Pens need. I'm hoping for a Robyn Regehr type player that can be the Pens match up defenseman.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 10:47 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Other than the first pass, I could care less about his offense. Sure it would be nice if he could get 40 points a year but I'm hoping that he'll develope a mean streak. A nasty player with that size and skating ability is exactly what the Pens need. I'm hoping for a Robyn Regehr type player that can be the Pens match up defenseman.
I'm not sure Regehr is a realistic comparison. I don't think he'll ever be that type of physical, intimidating, shutdown defenseman.

I think he could mirror the way Bouwmeester plays defense, with a combination of fluid skating, physical play and sound positioning. Obviously, I'm not going to suggest that he projects to play like Bouwmeester anywhere outside of the Q, but if you watch some clips of him, there's a resemblance there in his own end.

As far as an NHL projection (which I never love doing), I think Paul Martin might be a realistic ceiling.

Old
07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Jacob

From what little I've seen of Despres, and from the scouting reports I've read, I'd liken him to a bigger Dan Hamhuis.

I think the Hamhuis you see today in the NHL is Despres' upside.

Old
07-27-2009, 11:02 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
From what little I've seen of Despres, and from the scouting reports I've read, I'd liken him to a bigger Dan Hamhuis.

I think the Hamhuis you see today in the NHL is Despres' upside.
Yeah that's a good one as well.

The biggest plus going for Despres with these comparisons is that he's already bigger than Hamhuis or Martin as an 18 year-old.

Old
07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Kilometers View Post
Yeah that's a good one as well.

The biggest plus going for Despres with these comparisons is that he's already bigger than Hamhuis or Martin as an 18 year-old.
Maybe Brent Seabrook, though that's probably more of a pipedream.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Because his rights are held by a junior team so he isn't elligible for the AHL.

If you want to get technical, we could keep him on the NHL roster, ask him to agree to a season-long conditioning stint and send him to the AHL. But he'd still count against the cap since he'd still technically be on the NHL roster.

Or we could just send him to juniors, you know, like what teams do with hundreds of prospects each and every year. There's nothing really special about Despres to the extent that we should try and bend a bunch of rules for him.
Okay cool. Thanks for actually answering my question without being a jerk about it. I was just curious is all.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Maybe Brent Seabrook, though that's probably more of a pipedream.
Yeah maybe. Despres is still so young that it's tough to nail down what he projects to be in the NHL in say...4 years. He has parts of his game that just need to be developed more before anyone can make a well supported guess.

But until then, we can always speculate.

Lidstrom or bust!!!1!!

Old
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey89 View Post
Okay cool. Thanks for actually answering my question without being a jerk about it. I was just curious is all.
I must be slipping in my old age because I was definitely trying to be a jerk about it.

Old
07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Despres turns 18 today!

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4M13 View Post

It`s far more likely that he`d be traded in his 19 season (2010-11) at Christmastime for a large return.
I was just going to say, I'd be surprised if he wasn't dealt at or near the deadline in his final junior season to whichever team from the 'Q' was going for the Memorial Cup that year.

Seems to happen quite frequently in Junior, especially so in the Quebec league, where "star" players are sent packing at the deadline.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Tek_Jansen

Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Taste View Post
Despres turns 18 today!
I hate being older than people drafted to pro sports leagues

Happy Birthday Simon

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenn15 View Post
So he's anywhere from 1 to 4 years away. Hhhmmm sounds familiar.
Yeah its hard to be wrong when use such a large area of time. Every one uses this time period for young players. I heard a lot of people saying Staal wont be in the league until a couple of years. Three years later he has a 100 NHL points already.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Cliff O Malley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Jansen View Post
I hate being older than people drafted to pro sports leagues :cry:

Happy Birthday Simon
I sucks even worse when people say that a player the same age as you is on the downslope of their career!

I am only 29 for Pete's Sake!!

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 05:29 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Yeah its hard to be wrong when use such a large area of time. Every one uses this time period for young players. I heard a lot of people saying Staal wont be in the league until a couple of years. Three years later he has a 100 NHL points already.
Staal also made his mark on a position of need for this squad.

I think ideally Despres will play out his Jr. career, have atleast a half season in WBS, then we may see him here. What's most likely to happen is he will play a full season, or maybe 2 in WBS.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote