HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Farewell Mark

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Well, this fan won't miss him. The man has always been one of the biggest cheap shot artists around, one of the dirtiest players in the game. He's really sullied his reputation the last few years, hanging on well past the point when he should have retired. 7 straight years of no playoffs looks good on him.

I lost all respect for the man when he was here in Vancouver. If the Canucks had a few days off, what did he do? Fly back to the "compound" in South Carolina to relax. Nice. Way to be a team player there. Everybody else stays in town, practices, visits the kids hospital, etc. Not Saint Mark. Nope, he's too good for that.

And then there's the "I think we had a pretty good year" comments, which he gave after the Canucks finished with the *second worst record* in the league. Try to imagine that one folks, especially fans of Pittsburgh and Washington, if your captain stood up a few days from now, and declared this year a succesful season.

I still won't believe he's retiring until I hear it from his mouth.
Do you laugh at funerals?

Old
03-31-2004, 11:51 PM
ikovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
great contribution pecafan.. there is some real irony there

what i was thinking when i read the post, haha

Old
04-01-2004, 12:02 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Gee, I never knew Messier died. I'm sure the beatification will be announced soon, though.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Knucklez

I've never liked him, but he is an instant HOF'er and is one of the best ever.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:10 AM
MLH

Pecafan don't you realize that if someone is a good player you're not allowed to mention that he's a jackass, even though everyone knows it's true?

Old
04-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
"He was a man, take him for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again."
- 'Hamlet' Act I

Retirement of an athlete, in some ways, is like death. Hence the reverential quote above is an appropriate tribute to #11, one of the undisputed legends of the game. He played the game the way it was meant to be played, and our viewing experience as fans of this sport was greatly enriched by his presence over the last quarter century.
Very well said.

I love the guy. Messier was one of my favorites.

I personally think he is the most impressive player I have had the chance to see (I wasn't there for Orr and Howe) because he could do it all. His achievements, collective and individual, speak for themselves.

Cheers to Mess!!!

Old
04-01-2004, 02:01 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

7 years too late, Mark.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:04 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
great show of class giving him the 1st star.
It's nice and all that he got a 1st star in a losing effort but it sucks that Hecht gets 2 goals and 2 assists, part of every goal and isn't rewarded with the top star recognition.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:16 AM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Completely off topic and preachy statement:

Actually, shouldnt you laugh at funerals? I think that is one of the greatest problems with our society. We take everything far too seriously. We have to mourn our losses, rather than remember the person for what they are. Remember the fond memories, and come closer together to others. Then again, Im most likely numbed and insensitive to the world around me.

After a person dies, we can never joke around, or even poke fun at them 'out of respect.'

First off, Messier is not dead. He was a player who got the opportunity to play for 25 years at a hefty salary. His career was not shortened by injuries. He was arrogant, but that often makes for a greatly confident player. Yes, he took cheapshots, but many do. In his last few NHL games he was suspended for a vicious spear...

But nevertheless, Messier was an amazing player and an even better captain. But dont defend him simply because he is retiring.

On a sidenote, I thought it was a great ovation by the fans, the Rangers, and the Sabres at the end of tonight's game...

Old
04-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Had visions of Gretzky while I was watching the highlites of Mark on the ice tonight....would've been nice had Wayne been able to be in attendence for it though...still

Mark

Old
04-01-2004, 03:31 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
So six stanley cup rings and second on all time scoring means nothing.
Not only this, but two of those cups were a direct result of him taking over the team and steering them toward victory. That first cup after Gretzky (1990) was all about a team which lost its number one star, but kept its number one captain (Gretz has talked at length about Mark taking control in practises and games back before becoming a dynasty when people weren't working as hard as they needed to). Messier's desire to win lifted that team (not to mention his 30-odd pts). Then in 94 with the Rangers... another 30 pts, another dominating performance. There was a special on him the other day with highlights from his career. He just simply dominated whenever he was on the ice. Unstoppable, singlehandedly rushing up ice to score critical goals, etc.

All in all, over 1900 pts, 6 cups (team captain for atleast 2 of them), award after award, accolade after accolade... and Wayne considers him one of the best and hardest working players he has ever seen. That's good enough for me. I expect that he'll become a coach or upper management (probably for NYR, unfortunately) before long. He's just too valuable. How can you not respect the guy. I bet anyone you ask who has played with him will agree that he is probably one of the best hockey captains the game has ever seen, and a class act!

Old
04-01-2004, 07:00 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
would've been nice had Wayne been able to be in attendence for it though...
Noooooooo! Wayne was probably busy watching the great team of hockey that is his Coyotes right now. Man, I don't know if you have noticed but you just can't take your eyes off the Arizona Massive right now! A true gem for the NHL.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
The Final Game

Old
04-01-2004, 07:30 AM
tom_servo

Great player, great ego.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Marks one of the best ever

i would liek to se him play till age 51 loke how did though

Old
04-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Well, this fan won't miss him. The man has always been one of the biggest cheap shot artists around, one of the dirtiest players in the game. He's really sullied his reputation the last few years, hanging on well past the point when he should have retired. 7 straight years of no playoffs looks good on him.

I lost all respect for the man when he was here in Vancouver. If the Canucks had a few days off, what did he do? Fly back to the "compound" in South Carolina to relax. Nice. Way to be a team player there. Everybody else stays in town, practices, visits the kids hospital, etc. Not Saint Mark. Nope, he's too good for that.

And then there's the "I think we had a pretty good year" comments, which he gave after the Canucks finished with the *second worst record* in the league. Try to imagine that one folks, especially fans of Pittsburgh and Washington, if your captain stood up a few days from now, and declared this year a succesful season.

I still won't believe he's retiring until I hear it from his mouth.
Jealousy will get you nowhere my friend.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
7 years too late, Mark.

Boy, you Vancouver fans are so bitter. I can't believe the Leaf fans are looking better than Nuck fans right now

Old
04-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Knucklez

What was with the little Chinese salute at the end?

Old
04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez
What was with the little Chinese salute at the end?
I know Mark is into eastern philosophy, probably had something to do with it. Btw, so is Gretz.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
It's nice and all that he got a 1st star in a losing effort but it sucks that Hecht gets 2 goals and 2 assists, part of every goal and isn't rewarded with the top star recognition.
i know your a buffalo fan, but the final score and box score of that game were completly irrellevant in terms of what the game actually meant.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze81
After a person dies, we can never joke around, or even poke fun at them 'out of respect.'
Thats what a wake is for. A wake is a celebration of the life, a funeral is mourning the loss. I dont know about you but if someone i cared abut very much died, and i was sitting there in tears while you were laughing id thump the **** out of you.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Great player, great ego.
Messier was one of the greats....no doubt.

But he does deserve some flack for not making the playoff seven straight years....with talented teams!!! Not taking away anything he accomplished pre-94....but he has not been "the ultimate captain" since that time.

Ranger beat writers have been saying that he can't come back next year if the Rangers are going to move forward. Considering the man still has skills....19G....and could be a valuable mentor.....it says a lot about Messier as a leader and teacher.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:51 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Jealousy will get you nowhere my friend.
Haha, that's a good one. Jealous of what? The uber-fantastic tee times Mark has brought his teammates for seven years in a row? The tension and strife amongst teammates he caused in the dressing room? Stealing the Captaincy off the sweater of the real captain? The retardation of the team's prospects, because he refused to recognise his reduced skill level, and refused to reduce his ice time? The inability to lead two different teams that were *stacked* in talent even into the playoffs? The practical theft of 30 million dollars in pay for being the so-called "best leader in sports", and then barely showing up for the past 7 years?

I got to experience the Great Messier Fraud firsthand.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Haha, that's a good one. Jealous of what? The uber-fantastic tee times Mark has brought his teammates for seven years in a row? The tension and strife amongst teammates he caused in the dressing room? Stealing the Captaincy off the sweater of the real captain? The retardation of the team's prospects, because he refused to recognise his reduced skill level, and refused to reduce his ice time? The inability to lead two different teams that were *stacked* in talent even into the playoffs? The practical theft of 30 million dollars in pay for being the so-called "best leader in sports", and then barely showing up for the past 7 years?

I got to experience the Great Messier Fraud firsthand.
Jealousy sure is ugly.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
:lol

Closed Thread