HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Which GM improved his team the best and worst this summer?

Old
07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Best:

Sather, for getting rid of that Gomez contract. And getting something back that isn't a bag of square Chinese defect pucks.

Worst:

Burke. No balls or patience to stick to a rebuilding plan that was universally agreed to as where Toronto should be headed. If the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, Burke really ****ed up.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
So we lose one player that has all the talent in the world but never shows up. A good but injury prone player that hits around 60-70 points a year. An overrated defensive defenseman that can't do anything with the puck and was brutal last year (needs to get back to '08 form). And our captain...who really isn't much more than a 50-60 point player anymore.

And we get Gomez-Gionta back together. A 35 Goal, 80 Point Threat with Michael Cammalleri. The feisty, hard-working and physical Travis Moen. And add a huge shot in Spacek that can move the puck and play defensively responsible hockey. And then add some more size to the back end.

How exactly did we make our team the worse compared to every other team? I didn't know adding hard-working players who can actually put the puck in the net was a bad thing...
It didn't. Its just the hype of the Gomez contract + the hate for Gainey and the Habs. That trade is getting way more flack than it should.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

For the summer alone:

Murph

- Signed Koivu to a 1 year contract.
- Resign S. Niedermayer
- Traded Pronger for Lupul, Sbisa, 2 1st rounders and a conditional 3rd. (I expect big things from Sbisa). Amazing asset management by receiving the same return and a stanley cup.
- Drafted Peter Holland.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Well it isn't hard to make it look like that if you make Komisarek, who had a bad year, be "An overrated defensive defenseman that can't do anything with the puck" instead of "Physical shutdown d-man entering his prime" while making Travis Moen, coming off a brutal year, be a "feisty, hard-working and physical" instead of "Useless and overpaid"
Well it seems that everyone else thought he was pretty overrated when he was a Hab. He can't do **** with the puck and it's well known by anyone who watches him play. And yes..he's physical no doubt, but he needs to get back to his '08 form cause he was horrible last year.

I wasn't really aware Moen had a horrible year. I didn't think he looked that bad when I saw him.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well it seems that everyone else thought he was pretty overrated when he was a Hab. He can't do **** with the puck and it's well known by anyone who watches him play. And yes..he's physical no doubt, but he needs to get back to his '08 form cause he was horrible last year.

I wasn't really aware Moen had a horrible year. I didn't think he looked that bad when I saw him.
Moen is a 4th liner. I can't believe we got Bonino for him!

Old
07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I nominate Regier for doing the least. On paper we are worse then last year.
Holland is friends with Regier, and he hasn't done anything either. Maybe they were playing too much canasta to get anything done.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Best...Burke if he can solidy his offense (or if Bozak really pans out, lol)

Worst...Tie between Gainey and Slather. Gainey went small, too small and he lost bigtime in the Gomez deal IMO. Slather as he went after a injury prone winger in Gaborik and paid him handsomly (if Gaborik is out which is most likely, Rangers will fall) Not to mention he let Antropov walk, has yet to resign their best PK'er in Betts. signed Brashear (head scratcher, due to chemistry) And overpaid to get Kotalik.
How'd Gainey lose big time on the Gomez deal? Contracts aside, Higgins is a fringe 2nd liner and was never able to solidify himself on any single line in his 3 years as a Hab. McDonagh is so overrated it's not even funny. He's not even able to crack the top pairing on his own team in college and is playing behind younger defensemen. He was brutal in the WJC and Habs were not impressed with his development.

NYR fans will enjoy watching Higgins shoot into the goalies chest 9 times out of 10 when he has an open net.

dre2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Best...Burke if he can solidy his offense (or if Bozak really pans out, lol)

Worst...Tie between Gainey and Slather. Gainey went small, too small and he lost bigtime in the Gomez deal IMO. Slather as he went after a injury prone winger in Gaborik and paid him handsomly (if Gaborik is out which is most likely, Rangers will fall) Not to mention he let Antropov walk, has yet to resign their best PK'er in Betts. signed Brashear (head scratcher, due to chemistry) And overpaid to get Kotalik.

Wow - couldn't disagree more. Burke did nothing to address offence. He made his back end bigger, dumber and offensively inept (especially if he trades Kaberle). Beauchemin is a good addition, but he didn't need both Komisarek and Exelby. Not to mention he did nothing to improve his forwards (Bozak is a wild card at best).

Gainey and Slather were both bold, and should be commended on that. Both teams needed serious changes.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
How'd Gainey lose big time on the Gomez deal? Contracts aside, Higgins is a fringe 2nd liner and was never able to solidify himself on any single line in his 3 years as a Hab. McDonagh is so overrated it's not even funny. He's not even able to crack the top pairing on his own team in college and is playing behind younger defensemen. He was brutal in the WJC and Habs were not impressed with his development.

NYR fans will enjoy watching Higgins shoot into the goalies chest 9 times out of 10 when he has an open net.
HA! Because of Gomez's contract.

Old
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
gone
l colin stuart
d garnet exelby
d clay wilson
d brett skinner
r grant stevenson
r/l joe motzko
w/c eric perrin

arrived
c/l tim stapleton
d pavel kubina
r/c nik antropov
c/w jason krog
g drew macintyre
g peter mannino
d joel kwiatkowski
r anthony stewart
d noah welch

Atlanta improved
The bolded players are really nonfactors in a hockey game. The Kubina/Antropov additions are nice though.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post

The "contracts aside" caveat is a big one.

07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Wow - couldn't disagree more. Burke did nothing to address offence. He made his back end bigger, dumber and offensively inept (especially if he trades Kaberle). Beauchemin is a good addition, but he didn't need both Komisarek and Exelby. Not to mention he did nothing to improve his forwards (Bozak is a wild card at best).

Gainey and Slather were both bold, and should be commended on that. Both teams needed serious changes.
Burke did a great job. He didn't overpay for a forward and he added solid players to his defense. Also, he landed the Monster.

Old
07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
So we lose one player that has all the talent in the world but never shows up. A good but injury prone player that hits around 60-70 points a year. An overrated defensive defenseman that can't do anything with the puck and was brutal last year (needs to get back to '08 form). And our captain...who really isn't much more than a 50-60 point player anymore.
How quick people are to talk down upon the players that left their team, after leading their team to the conference championship a year and a few months ago.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Well it seems that everyone else thought he was pretty overrated when he was a Hab.
Isn't that just about the most common schtick around these boards? That Habs fans overrate their players (like no-one else doesn't?). It's just a matter of perception.

One could easily summarize the Ducks moves as "got rid of a slowly declining Pronger and added a warrior in Boynton and a stud in Sbisa", while another would say "lost a cornerstone of the team in Pronger and added a penaltymachine in Boynton and a prospect who may or may not pan out". Both descriptions are equally accurate but portray a slightly different image.

And no, Moen isn't at all useless but he did have a pretty mediocre season that led to him being traded. Just a bit of hyperbole on my part.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
How quick people are to talk down upon the players that left their team, after leading their team to the conference championship a year and a few months ago.
Spot on.

Old
07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

And we get Gomez-Gionta back together. A 35 Goal, 80 Point Threat with Michael Cammalleri. The feisty, hard-working and physical Travis Moen. And add a huge shot in Spacek that can move the puck and play defensively responsible hockey. And then add some more size to the back end.

How exactly did we make our team the worse compared to every other team? I didn't know adding hard-working players who can actually put the puck in the net was a bad thing...
Your pointing out all the flaws of the players you lost like Kovy, Higgins, Komisarek etc. and your points are valid. However, the players you acquired certainly have plenty of flaws too and it won't take long until Montreal fans are back on these boards complaining about all the flaws in Gomez, Gill, Gionta etc. games.

Montreal had an interesting off-season imo. I can't really tell if they got better or worse. I hated some of the moves like the Gomez trade, signing Gionta for a lot of money since he hasn't been that great since his career year a few years ago. I loved some of the smaller signings like Mara, Moen, and getting Spacek too.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:05 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Like I said.....he needs to get back to his '08 form.

Read buddy. He was crap last year. If he gets back to his form from a few years ago...yes that's a great move by Burke.

EDIT: As for the others...Kovalev is inconsistent..he had a great year that year and like Komisarek, if he get's back to that form, great for Ottawa. But no one can deny he was inconsistent as they come.

Koivu, I definitely love having as a Hab. Wish he was still here. But his play is declining unfortunately and I figured it was only a matter of time. Glad he went to my other favorite team!

Old
07-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Andy

How the hell did Gainey get robbed in the Gomez trade? Please. I'm not saying Gainey made the best moves, but he did not get robbed.

Wasn't Higgins said to be the most overrated player in terms of trade value on the tradeboard? Didn't habs fans get made fun of everytime they included him in a package? Why all of a sudden is he an asset with great value? Didn't most of you call him a 2nd line b. winger? He's a third line winger and can fill in on a second line role.

As far as McDonough, weren't habs fans laughed off the prospects baords when they got excited over him during the WJC? In fact a lot of posters criticized his performance stating that he was overrated, but now that he is not a habs he's amazing?

Valentenko will not play in the nhl, won't even leave Russia.

I swear, Montreal can get Ovechkin for a 1st round pick and Chipchura and not only would people say habs overpaid, but Ovechkin would suddenly suck and people would say "Oh another european forward on the habs"

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:06 PM
copperandblue

I really think Murray from the Ducks has done a masterful job considering the mess he was left with.

Lombardi is probably my runner up.

As for the worst, tough to call. I found this year to be kind of strange in that there aren't a tonne of moves that appear to be clear cut imporvements. If anything, most of the moves are the type that look like they can blow up in the GM's faces big time.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Isn't that just about the most common schtick around these boards? That Habs fans overrate their players (like no-one else doesn't?). It's just a matter of perception.
No I know that...my point was that Leaf fans say Komisarek is overrated and crap and all that when he's a Hab...and now he's a monster.

Old
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I'm pretty worried about all this talk that Gainey improved his team the least. We may never yet reach those incredible heights of the second round of the playoffs again.

Gainey had 4 choices this year:

1 - Re-sign Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, etc and get blasted for retaining a group of players who haven't taken us anywhere in their tenures here.

2 - Sign guys like Hossa, Havlat, Gaborik and Antroprov and get blasted for signing a bunch of guys who haven't won anything and probably won't play more than 60 games in a given year.

3 - Sign guys like Gionta and Cammalleri and get blasted for signing a bunch of small guys who may not be able to replicate their career highs

4 - Do nothing, not re-sign our UFAs and get blasted for allowing his team to tank in their (actual) 100th season

I'm okay with #3 as it stands.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm pretty worried about all this talk that Gainey improved his team the least. We may never yet reach those incredible heights of the second round of the playoffs again.

Gainey had 4 choices this year:

1 - Re-sign Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, etc and get blasted for retaining a group of players who haven't taken us anywhere in their tenures here.

2 - Sign guys like Hossa, Havlat, Gaborik and Antroprov and get blasted for signing a bunch of guys who haven't won anything and probably won't play more than 60 games in a given year.

3 - Sign guys like Gionta and Cammalleri and get blasted for signing a bunch of small guys

4 - Do nothing, not re-sign our UFAs and get blasted for allowing his team to tank in their (actual) 100th season

I'm okay with #3 as it stands.
Pretty much sums up the hypocracy from other posters on this board. No matter the scenario that would have occured this summer, Gainey and the habs would have been bashed.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:10 PM
rajuabju
The One & Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Homer pick but I thought Dean Lombardi did very well,

Drafting Brayden Schenn
Signing Scuderi
Trading for Smyth without giving up much asset wise
Re-signing Jack Johnson to a 2 year deal at 1.4M per

Those 4 moves significantly improve the club in my opinion
Another homer pick for DL...

What you said pretty much sums it up. We drafted, traded for, signed exactly what we needed.

IMO, if the Kings DONT make the playoffs this year, it will be a failure. This team now has the right blend of youth, veteran experience, and all its major holes plugged to make it as a #6-#8 seed.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
No I know that...my point was that Leaf fans say Komisarek is overrated and crap and all that when he's a Hab...and now he's a monster.
The truth is out there... between the extremes

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Your pointing out all the flaws of the players you lost like Kovy, Higgins, Komisarek etc. and your points are valid. However, the players you acquired certainly have plenty of flaws too and it won't take long until Montreal fans are back on these boards complaining about all the flaws in Gomez, Gill, Gionta etc. games.

Montreal had an interesting off-season imo. I can't really tell if they got better or worse. I hated some of the moves like the Gomez trade, signing Gionta for a lot of money since he hasn't been that great since his career year a few years ago. I loved some of the smaller signings like Mara, Moen, and getting Spacek too.
Maybe I am pointing out those flaws? But did I not point out their strengths as well? Komisarek is physical and as good of a shotblocker as there is in the league. But he needs to get mentally strong again and stop taking stupid penalties while getting back to his '08 shutdown form. Kovalev is as talented as they come, and when on, he's unstoppable. Problem is, he's only on his game for about 20-30 games a season.

I kinda agree with your second paragraph. I was skeptical on the Gomez and Gionta moves but then again, they had their career years together and have instant chemistry. Maybe I was just excited for the change, but having those two, Cammalleri and Spacek on the ice really got me happy for sure.