HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which GM improved his team the best and worst this summer?

Old
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Prendan Brust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The most sensible post in this entire thread was from the guy who pointed out that the title made no sense at all.

GM who improved his team the worst? What the heck was I thinking?
I disagree, I'd say the most sensible post came from the guy that said this thread was 3 months too early.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
The big improvement is Gustavsson if he's as good as hyped. Kubina and Beauchemin cancels each other pretty much. Komisarek really isn't a better player than a Van Ryn or Finger, he just hits more, same for Exelby. I don't see their D as a big improvement but they do have a lot more depth.
As overrated Komi was at one time or another, to say he really isn't a better player than Van Ryn or Finger is a bit much for me to digest.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
The most sensible post in this entire thread was from the guy who pointed out that the title made no sense at all.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
dubey
Phagoof am i rite??/

Quote:

It still works in a way. Bob Gainey made the worst attempt at improving his team by trading for Gomez and massively overpaying for Gionta.

Therefore he improved his team the worst compared to every other team in the league..

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
It still works in a way. Bob Gainey made the worst attempt at improving his team by trading for Gomez and massively overpaying for Gionta.
Therefore he improved his team the worst compared to every other team in the league..
What if the Gomez trade works out for the Habs, because contrary to what you and many believe, it is not necessarily destined to be doomed, it 'could' very well work out....what will you say then?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
What if the Gomez trade works out for the Habs, because contrary to what you and many believe, it is not necessarily destined to be doomed, it 'could' very well work out....what will you say then?
It's not that we don't think Gomez is good - it's the contract, and the fact that despite the contract, you still gave up McDonagh.

Regardless, I like Gomez a lot more than other options out there.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
I think Gainey said it best in his press conference. He went out with a plan to get younger, healthier, faster and more skilled.

He accomplished all of that.

In regards to the Gomez trade, he took a gamble and I'll reserve judgment. For now everyone he has picked up has been saying the right things.

As for which GM did the best job this summer, well, I say it's Gainey (i'm an effing Homer I know).

And the worst... it's gottta be Burke. The Komisarek contract is gonna come back and haunt him, he overpaid by a country mile for someone who puts up zero points, is injury prone, and can only block shots, give a decent body check and take awful penalties at bad times. Good luck with that Leafs fans.
I think Gainey did the best job, even if it's not bother with Koivu and Kovalev to bring in a culture change.

But if you take out what's covering your eyes, the Leafs look mighty decent with the addition of Beauchemin and Komisarek. They did not have the means or luxury to make the big changes. But you solidify your group and that's what Burke did.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 07:18 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
For starters, they are one of the only teams with 8-9 NHL veteran defensemen counted in their total. After this season, they have a meagre $30 million committed to the cap (that INCLUDES Finger and Blake's contracts and a $1M buyout to Tucker).

I'm not sure where you got that 1st line from?

As for why people think he did great? His biggest problems were defense, goaltending, PK and softness.

On defense, he brought in several defensive d-men. No one knows what the final corps will be but as it sits right now, he has 3 of the top 15 players in the league for hits plus shot blocking per game played. He also currently has one of the best puckmovers in the game. As it stands, he could field his entire defense corps for around what Montreal is paying their 1st line of forwards (depending who he moves).

In goal, Toskala is a toss up. He has apparently had 3 successful surgeries and will undoubtedly benefit from some defense in front of him. At back up, Burke signed the #1 commodity on the market. He also signed the #1 goalie coach in the world.

On the PK, it's possible they may take more penalties but most of Burke's acquisitions were guys who logged a lot of time on their respective team's PK units. That along with hopefully improved goaltending should lead to an improved PK.

Softness? You'll now have to go through Schenn, Komisarek, Beauchemin, Finger, Exelby, Primeau, Mayers, Orr, etc.

All he has left to address is top 2 line forwards. He added 2 of the top 3 NCAA free agents, one of whom has been compared to Paul Stastny (Bozak). He also added Kadri to the mix. He has a 20 year old Tlusty who performs at a point per game in the AHL. He has Stalberg who was in the running for the Hobey Baker. There's guys like Mitchell and Didomenico who obliterated the junior playoffs, Stefanovich, etc. If he can land a true #1 somewhere, he's definitely on the right track. That's not to mention how guys like Kulemin and Grabovski fare.

Everyone could amount to nothing but with the numbers of guys with potential high reward, odds are some of them pan out.
So the Leafs did better in the off-season because they're banking on potential?
While Montreal got proven talent and somehow got significantly worse? That's laughable.

I'll then counter and say if Pacioretty, Subban, Weber, Price, Andrei Kostitsyn and Plekanec play to their potential, Montreal wins the cup easily. Potential is potential, it's not proven results. If you're banking on potential, chances are you're going to be very disappointed this season in what the Leafs fail to achieve.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So the Leafs did better in the off-season because they're banking on potential?
While Montreal got proven talent and somehow got significantly worse? That's laughable.

I'll then counter and say if Pacioretty, Subban, Weber, Price, Andrei Kostitsyn and Plekanec play to their potential, Montreal wins the cup easily. Potential is potential, it's not proven results. If you're banking on potential, chances are you're going to be very disappointed this season in what the Leafs fail to achieve.
I think you're forgetting that Toronto brought in proven performers as well, and in a spot where we needed them most (defense).

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy17 View Post
It's not that we don't think Gomez is good - it's the contract, and the fact that despite the contract, you still gave up McDonagh.

McDonagh regressed last year...and like it or not he's still a prospect. We've got Subban, Carle, Weber, Emelin, Fischer...We aren't lacking defencemen in the prospect pool.

Despite the contract? Montreal needed a 1st line center.

From all accounts Gomez helped us bring over 2 quality forwards in Cammalleri and Gionta. Bringing those two in helped bring Mara and Moen...

Every move opened the door for the next move. I'm very happy with the end result and hope that everything will come together on the ice.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy17 View Post

so you`re basically saying that because Gomez is overpaid, the Habs are doomedÉ

As for McDonagh...no doubt the Rangers got a good prospect, but I personally wasn`t as high on him as I was Subban, who I think will be a stud dman in the NHL, Habs have guys like O`Byrne, Weber and Carle all competing for an NHL spot. Losing McDonagh hurts, but Gomez is a good player, and it costs assets for good players. I`m not talking HF value, i`m talking real world NHL value...Gainey was in a tight spot and that`s the price he had to pay. Who knows how McDonagh will turn out, he`s at best 2 years away from the NHL, and at least another 2 from becoming what he was drafted to be...alot can happen in that time.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Miller Time

I don't know if I'd say the "best", but for me I was most surprised (in a good way) by the offseason Wadell has put together.

Adding Kubina and Antropov, and resigning some of his own guys to solid deals, if some of their younger players continue to progress they could be a lot better than people think, maybe enough to get Kovalchuk's signature on a long term deal.

Florida would have to be in contention for worst. They look to me to have taken a clear step backward talent-wise, which is brutal for a team that looked to be poised to finally crack into the top 8. Looks like it's going to be another long (or i suppose i should say short) year in south florida.

also think Burke, Sutter, and Holmgren have improved their teams quite a bit.

Gainey certainly has shaken things up... Hard to see the team he's assembled, especially with Martin behind the bench, doing worse than the disastrous situation last year, though I'd say that, baring a cup win (because imo 1 cup ring can erase years of mediocrity in an instant) , judgment on his moves need to be taken over 3-4 years and not just one (since he took on 3 players @~18M over 5-6 years... 3 years from now he'll either look like a genius, or be watching some other GM try to clean up his mess)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Atlanta just kind of silently got better, and that worries me.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:54 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
McDonagh regressed last year...and like it or not he's still a prospect. We've got Subban, Carle, Weber, Emelin, Fischer...We aren't lacking defencemen in the prospect pool.

From all accounts Gomez helped us bring over 2 quality forwards in Cammalleri and Gionta. Bringing those two in helped bring Mara and Moen...

Every move opened the door for the next move. I'm very happy with the end result and hope that everything will come together on the ice.
Why didn't Gainey get one then?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
That defense is hardly top 10 in the league.
Sure it is.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:36 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Markov > Iginla
how so? lol

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:38 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

Wrong...The one thing that brought those too guys was throwing that amount of $$$ at them...

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
FLAMESTR

Best Lawton TB

Worst Ott Murray

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:21 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
I like what the Ducks have done this offseason.

Adding: S. Koivu, Boynton, Sbisa, Lupul & Some draft picks
Losing: Pronger & Beauchemin

Plus they still have a tradeable asset in either Giggy or Hillier, depending on which direction they decide to go towards.

On the flipside: The avs look a lot worse than the start of last season:

Losing: sakic, smyth, laperriere, guite, raycroft, williams, vernace, tjnarqvist
Adding: Quincey, preissing, anderson, koci

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote