HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Which GM improved his team the best and worst this summer?

Old
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
NYR fans will enjoy watching Higgins shoot into the goalies chest 9 times out of 10 when he has an open net.
Enjoy Gionta then.

ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
Gillis has been solid, if conservative so far for the Canucks

resigned RFAs Bernier, SOB & Rypien to decent deals
resigned UFAs D & H Sedin to decent deals
signed UFAs Samuelsson & Raycroft to decent deals (league min = decent for the latter)
(all of the above term-conscious deals)

he's pumped up the farm with the likes of Funk, Glass, Pope, Rome (could be a 70s tune...)

has yet to replace Ohlund on the blueline, and lacked a decent PP QB even before Mattias left...
QOs extended to Wellwood, Hansen & McIver, but Sundin return looks unlikely, leaving a hole at #2 center position.

Overall not bad, but incomplete thusfar, which is to say neither best nor worst.

Edit: also did well getting Schroeder at #22, but that was arguably a no-brainer

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Pretty much sums up the hypocracy from other posters on this board. No matter the scenario that would have occured this summer, Gainey and the habs would have been bashed.
Oh please. Spare me the poor persecuted Hab fan rap.

Gainey acquired one of the worst contracts in the NHL - 7.4 million a year for a guy who is not going to sniff 20 goals and he surrendered a first round pick and a decent third liner to boot. You seriously can't see why people are so down on that deal? Gomez is signed until 2013 to boot so the damage Gainey has done to the franchise will persist long after he is finally fired (which I expect to happen by next summer).

07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
The Management

I'm going to go with Sather.

Acquiring Higgins and a solid young defensive prospect, resigning Callahan, drafting Chris Kreider, bringing in Brashear to replace Orr, unloading the Gomez contract.. I even like the Gaborik signing. It's a gamble, but I admire Sather for taking it. I really like the Kotalik deal, and I think Brian Boyle was a solid acquistion - a project with plenty of upside if he can put it all together.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
JTG

Ray Shero got Guerin, McKee, and Fedotenko for a combined 4.6 million.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Gainey acquired one of the worst contracts in the NHL - 7.4 million a year for a guy who is not going to sniff 20 goals and he surrendered a first round pick and a decent third liner to boot. You seriously can't see why people are so down on that deal? Gomez is signed until 2013 to boot so the damage Gainey has done to the franchise will persist long after he is finally fired (which I expect to happen by next summer).
Kind of what I was thinking. You can debate the signings, but crying about how unfair other posters to Gainey and the Habs is just comical. As far as the Habs, I love the Mara and Moen signings. I hate the Gomez trade, I hate the Gionta contract. I think Camilleri is overpaid slightly, but he's a 1st liner on most teams (unlike Gionta). I don't mind the money on Spacek, but I thought three years was a risk if you ask me. And I can't believe Hal Gill got another contract. I was never a Gill hater, but I thought he got exposed pretty badly in the Cup Finals versus Detroit.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Kind of what I was thinking. You can debate the signings, but crying about how unfair other posters to Gainey and the Habs is just comical. As far as the Habs, I love the Mara and Moen signings. I hate the Gomez trade, I hate the Gionta contract. I think Camilleri is overpaid slightly, but he's a 1st liner on most teams (unlike Gionta). I don't mind the money on Spacek, but I thought three years was a risk if you ask me. And I can't believe Hal Gill got another contract. I was never a Gill hater, but I thought he got exposed pretty badly in the Cup Finals versus Detroit.

Exactamundo. I see every one of Gainey's moves in the very same way you do. And, on balance, I think he has a lot to answer for.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Flyersguru

Homer + Pronger = Cup

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
theoil

I think Lawton deserves to be mentioned again. People talk about the messes inherited here and there but I don't think there was a bigger mess than anywhere than down in TB. Murray and Lombardi also did nice jobs this summer.

You gotta wonder what is going on in Colorado but who knows, maybe they are deliberately aiming for a lottery pick.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Wow - couldn't disagree more. Burke did nothing to address offence. He made his back end bigger, dumber and offensively inept (especially if he trades Kaberle). Beauchemin is a good addition, but he didn't need both Komisarek and Exelby. Not to mention he did nothing to improve his forwards (Bozak is a wild card at best).

Gainey and Slather were both bold, and should be commended on that. Both teams needed serious changes.
The leafs issue last season was giving up goals, not scoring them...i think burke actually did a solid job make his defense pretty tough. And this is coming from an isles fan who strongly dislikes burke. IF Kaberle sticks around, Kabs, Komi, Beau, Schenn are, to me, a very solid top 4. but, maybe my view is warped bc im used to seeing Streit Gervais Witt and Martinek in my top 4 haha

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Jerky Leclerc

I feel like Anaheim is ahead of the game compared to the rest of the contending teams spending to the cap. Anaheim went through two years of cap hell and Bob Murray has formed a team this season with depth and importantly, with cap space to stay flexible. You look at the other contending teams: Detroit, San Jose, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburg etc...they are doing what Anaheim did two summers ago. They are all spending to the cap paying players for what they did rather than what they will do. They are now going through what Anaheim had to struggle with which is moving salary and losing your depth. Detroit has lost depth. San Jose has lost depth. Boston will lose depth when they can't resign Kessel. Chicago will have to trade players for nothing. Philadelphia will be in cap hell the rest of the season. Pittsburg will retool their vets with cheap youth in order to pay their top players. IMO, Anaheim is in the best position this season to build a lasting team that can compete from preseason to playoffs. Bob Murray has improved his team the most of all the GMs in the league.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
crazyforhockey

ANh did a very nice job retooling...defence not as dominate as before? but solid through 1-6.....Koivu although on the down slope could be the trick to give them 2 lines again.

Lombardi did a good job to bring in some quality vetern presence.

Sutter got a coach,signed Jaybo,and has added some steals from the bargin bin,which is more impressive as they were tight against the cap.

List Chi for getting everybody signed plus Hossa injured or not minus clerical error on RFA's,losing ones job=Probably next to det the best chance to win the west's #1 spot even with Huet(?)

SJ not sure yet,dont know what they are waiting for,but he has to make major trades to get under the cap........could lose out big time in trades...value wise as he struggles to get under the cap.

TB improved their weak spot-defence,but only if they had got their sh** together 1 yr earlier.

Mtl and Phi maybe slip NYR here too- will have to see after the dust settles whether either came out ahead

Det lost alot of goals but they have alot of developed young players ready as usual to take over key roles.So only a slight drop for them.Will have a hard time fighting off Chi for the divison.

Clb and Van did well resigning their big guns.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
MisterD

vCash: 50
DL has improved the Kings enough to make the playoffs next year IMO. I really didn't like the signings that Burke made.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Talentless Practise*

Could someone provide a summary of Lawtons moves this offseason? All i can come up with straight off is the Ohlund signing and trading for Fridge and Hale

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
I feel like Anaheim is ahead of the game compared to the rest of the contending teams spending to the cap. Anaheim went through two years of cap hell and Bob Murray has formed a team this season with depth and importantly, with cap space to stay flexible. You look at the other contending teams: Detroit, San Jose, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburg etc...they are doing what Anaheim did two summers ago. They are all spending to the cap paying players for what they did rather than what they will do. They are now going through what Anaheim had to struggle with which is moving salary and losing your depth. Detroit has lost depth. San Jose has lost depth. Boston will lose depth when they can't resign Kessel. Chicago will have to trade players for nothing. Philadelphia will be in cap hell the rest of the season. Pittsburg will retool their vets with cheap youth in order to pay their top players. IMO, Anaheim is in the best position this season to build a lasting team that can compete from preseason to playoffs. Bob Murray has improved his team the most of all the GMs in the league.
This might qualify for the most homerific post of the season.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Darth Sidious*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Homer + Pronger + Emery = Beaten out by the Pens....again.

FTFY

Darth Sidious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Andy

Quote:

Again, your avoiding the issue here that I pointed yet no one seems to want to touch.

1. Higgins was considered overrated by many posters on these forums, habs were bashed each and everytime he was included in a trade proposal. He was said to have no value and that he wasn't even that good. His non-invitation from the US olympic try outs is an indication of his skill level. He is nothing more than a third line winger who will be UFA next year, meaning he might not even sign in New York and I wouldn't even be surprised if he wanted out of Montreal. He wasn't wanted in Montreal near the end and was being passed on the depth chart by other wingers, so in reality he is not a loss.

2. McDonough: Habs fans were excited about him during the WJC and were laughed off the prospects boards. He was heavily critcized for his performance and was also hailed as "overrated" by many posters. Moreover, he has been passed on the depth chart by other d-men such as Subban and Weber. Considering that Montreal already has very few spots in their top-6, McDonough was tradable.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that if I would have made a proposal of Higgins + McDonough for Gomez on the tradeboards I guarentee you I would have been laughed at by not only ranger posters but also posters of other teams.

Habs had a huge hole at the center position, we could have traded for Marleau or Richards, but where would have that led us, Richards is priced even Higher and is UfA after the next season, Marleau is overpaid and is UFA next year leaving Montreal at square one. Gomez filled a need and we traded for him, so how did we get fleeced. We had the cap room to absorb his salary.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Shellz

Gotta be a homer and choose Dean!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
The Management

I like what Philly has done, as well.

Everyone talks about the price tag for Pronger, but I can really see this being the type of move that puts them over the top. Emery is a bit of a roll of the dice, but I think he'll come back to the NHL with a vendetta regarding his many nay-sayers. I can see him potentially solidifying the team in goal.

I think they'll be a fun team to watch next season.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
MitchRobichaud

Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
toronto was 10th overal in goals pe rgame last year.. and 9th in shots per game. Offense is obviously not their weakness.

And the were pretty much the worst team in the league defensively, allowing 3.49 goals per game on 30 shots per game..

Seems that Burke knows what he's doing more than posters in HFBoards.. go figure

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
PatBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaroth View Post
Best:

Sather, for getting rid of that Gomez contract. And getting something back that isn't a bag of square Chinese defect pucks.

Worst:

Burke. No balls or patience to stick to a rebuilding plan that was universally agreed to as where Toronto should be headed. If the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, Burke really ****ed up.
Nonsense. Pure nonsense.

How is he not committed to a rebuild?

Has not relinquished draft picks or youth to gain assets. Only cap space on free agent acquisitions. Including signing collegiate prospects.

Has stated his intention to leave roster spots open up front to give prospects an opportunity.

Your statement regarding the playoffs is absurd. If Burke felt that the playoffs was the only priority. He would have overpayed to bring in aging 'name' free agent forwards.

Last edited by PatBateman: 07-27-2009 at 04:07 PM.
PatBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
So, which GM do you think improved his team the most this summer? (including the draft, trades, UFA signings, etc).

Which GM improved his team the least (or hurt it the most)?
Improved, I'd say Bob Gainey. He took a mismatched team of fading stars and unproven younger talent, got rid of what he didn't need and added stability to the team. Montreal's heart was questioned, so that's what he went out and got.

Hurt? Burke. He gave large contracts to overrated defencemen and now has a single top pairing D and a bunch of #4 guys who won't be good for much but flipping the puck off the glass.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
embracedbias

My vote is for Calgary. Signing Jbo before he got on the market was such a good move. I think that, with Phaneuf and Regehr, Jbo will be in a good situation to succeed... since the pressure will be spread around a bit. He should also get credit for not handing out a 10+ year contract.

Sutter also did a good job getting rid of some salary and adding a good coach (admittedly, hiring his brother didn't exactly take much skill as a GM).

I think Philly should get some recognition too. A big price was paid for Pronger, but that is what a GM has to do to get his team to the next level sometimes. I don't agree with the insane contract, but at least he made his team much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I agree with all of this except for the Hal Gill part. I think you are doing good anytime that you add a defenseman to your bottom pairing that can be on the ice during the final minutes on a Stanley Cup team. He's good at his role... just don't expect him to do anything over and above that.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaroth View Post
Best:

Sather, for getting rid of that Gomez contract. And getting something back that isn't a bag of square Chinese defect pucks.

Worst:

Burke. No balls or patience to stick to a rebuilding plan that was universally agreed to as where Toronto should be headed. If the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, Burke really ****ed up.
Can you name one team that has not or is not doing all within their abilities to improve their teams and make the play-offs?

And where is this universal agreement you talk about ???

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Again, your avoiding the issue here that I pointed yet no one seems to want to touch.

1. Higgins was considered overrated by many posters on these forums, habs were bashed each and everytime he was included in a trade proposal. He was said to have no value and that he wasn't even that good. His non-invitation from the US olympic try outs is an indication of his skill level. He is nothing more than a third line winger who will be UFA next year, meaning he might not even sign in New York and I wouldn't even be surprised if he wanted out of Montreal. He wasn't wanted in Montreal near the end and was being passed on the depth chart by other wingers, so in reality he is not a loss.

2. McDonough: Habs fans were excited about him during the WJC and were laughed off the prospects boards. He was heavily critcized for his performance and was also hailed as "overrated" by many posters. Moreover, he has been passed on the depth chart by other d-men such as Subban and Weber. Considering that Montreal already has very few spots in their top-6, McDonough was tradable.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that if I would have made a proposal of Higgins + McDonough for Gomez on the tradeboards I guarentee you I would have been laughed at by not only ranger posters but also posters of other teams.

Habs had a huge hole at the center position, we could have traded for Marleau or Richards, but where would have that led us, Richards is priced even Higher and is UfA after the next season, Marleau is overpaid and is UFA next year leaving Montreal at square one. Gomez filled a need and we traded for him, so how did we get fleeced. We had the cap room to absorb his salary.
I'm not going to argue with you about whether posters here through guys like Higgins and McDonough were overrated. The point is that trading for a contract as brutal as Gomez's was just plain bad asset management. It has nothing to do with some board-wide bias against the Habs, which is paranoid nonsense to be frank. It was just a flat-out horrible deal.

Basically, I have a lot of contempt for those posters who go screaming "hater" everytime somebody is down on deals made by their team. A lot of us think the Gomez trade was a poor move. I don't have a problem with you disagreeing, but don't go screaming bias when others don't side with your take.

Personally, I'm willing to go down on record as saying the Gomez trade was one of the worst I've seen in years. Now, I welcome you to search every single post I've had in the last year and find so much as a shred of Anti-Habs sentiment in anything I've written. I don't dislike the Habs, even a tiny bit. I just think this was a stupid trade.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote