HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vinny Prospal Bought Out by Tampa

Old
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Detroit. This is exactly the type of thing Holland was waiting for.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Paul Holmgren once said the reason Prospal wasn't brought back was because "his heart was in another place" (that being Tampa).

Wonder where it's at now?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Detroit. This is exactly the type of thing Holland was waiting for.

He becomes an attractive target amidst a pool of washed-up or mediocre talent...I'd love to see Kenny take a run at home.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
He becomes an attractive target amidst a pool of washed-up or mediocre talent...I'd love to see Kenny take a run at home.
And if Holland was throwing 2.5-3M at Hudler, then he seems to think we can afford that.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Paul Holmgren once said the reason Prospal wasn't brought back was because "his heart was in another place" (that being Tampa).

Thats strange. But seeing how tan Propsal is in his NHL.com photo suggests it might just've been the climate.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Prospal IS washed up and mediocre talent.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
JonJordan: I'm told the money saved in the Prospal buyout will go directly toward signing another player.

http://twitter.com/JonJordan
I don't understand how this works. The owners still owe Prospal the same amount of money, just over a longer term. And Tampa goes from having around $8M in cap space to $10M, so they had plenty of space for another forward or two without buying Prospal out.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Syek

comrie on the way?

Syek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
a guaranteed minimum 40pts/season coming from a mediocre washed up talent ? hey, i would take that !

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
I don't understand how this works. The owners still owe Prospal the same amount of money, just over a longer term. And Tampa goes from having around $8M in cap space to $10M, so they had plenty of space for another forward or two without buying Prospal out.
Firstly they don't owe him all of his contract just spread out. They owed him about 10.5M and will pay him 7M. So 3.5 in cash savings right there.

Secondly that extra 2M in cap space is probably enough to bring in 2 more wingers with better value and/or better fit to the team and still not spend to the cap max. They are probably wanting to be around the 48M-50M mark.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
a guaranteed minimum 40pts/season coming from a mediocre washed up talent ? hey, i would take that !
You will have no hair left after the season from pulling it out after every wide open net he misses or every defensive breakdown he has.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
bassassin

Quote:
He isnt. I still dont think we should have done this. Vinny is well Vinny. He is 50-80 points, with some of the worst skating you have ever seen. But he loves Tampa, and has had his best years here. Of course sucks for him he jumped ship before we won and came back after, but still you win some you lose some.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I would assume a bigger move is coming.
What are they making Cap space for? Maybe Tanguay to Tampa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
St-louis-Vinny-Tangs would be deadly
Very good possibility of it happening, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acehawk74 View Post
I'm hoping 2 things. The Lightning before buying out Prospal needed to sign a top 6 forward. Now we need 2. There's a chance Dana Tyrell could be ready for us, but if not... the hope is this is a precusor for a trade.
Zherdev's hearing is this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
Zherdev to Tampa. I can see it happening.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Sunrise? They seem to be nicer to Czech forwards then Tampa lately.

Quote:
Zherdev and Tanguay may cost, combined, more than 8 million and adding the two gives them two very good top lines in Tanguay, VL, MSL and Malone, Stamkos, Zherdev

Lets make Ranger a Ranger!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
You will have no hair left after the season from pulling it out after every wide open net he misses or every defensive breakdown he has.
Fairly typical for an aging second line winger.

Prospal, outside of one semi-off year on the worst team in the league (can't blame the downfall of the Bolts on him alone) has been consistently good for 55 points per season outside of a couple overachieving season. Buying a guy like him out doesn't make much sense, there had to be someone out there willing to take him on a re-entry claim...which would mean Tampa wouldn't be stuck with a cap hit for 3 extra seasons (just the 3 remaining he is actually under contract for) but the other team would be able to get him for a bargain price for a second liner ($1.75 million hit a year for Prospal? That's a bargain no matter how many defensive gaffes he makes). Normally you'd figure the team would have run through every possible avenue before making a move like this...but with Tampa everything seems to just happen without any real planning, so who the hell knows what happened here. He certainly wasn't playing bad enough to keep on the books for six seasons, like buying him out does to save under $2 million in cap room...when you already had $8 million left...

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:32 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Fairly typical for an aging second line winger.

Prospal, outside of one semi-off year on the worst team in the league (can't blame the downfall of the Bolts on him alone) has been consistently good for 55 points per season outside of a couple overachieving season. Buying a guy like him out doesn't make much sense, there had to be someone out there willing to take him on a re-entry claim...which would mean Tampa wouldn't be stuck with a cap hit for 3 extra seasons (just the 3 remaining he is actually under contract for) but the other team would be able to get him for a bargain price for a second liner ($1.75 million hit a year for Prospal? That's a bargain no matter how many defensive gaffes he makes). Normally you'd figure the team would have run through every possible avenue before making a move like this...but with Tampa everything seems to just happen without any real planning, so who the hell knows what happened here. He certainly wasn't playing bad enough to keep on the books for six seasons, like buying him out does to save under $2 million in cap room...when you already had $8 million left...
He has a NTC, how else do you get rid of him?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Mihairokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Somebody should tell Tanguay he'd still have to play against Artyukhin in practice...
I lol'd a bit.

Mihairokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Snap Wilson

I think it would be a terrific idea for the Ducks to sign Vinny Prospal and Petr Sykora as goal celebration coaches:

Even though he was part of the team for probably the most disappointing season in Ducks history, I still liked Vinny. He was a lot of fun to watch.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Put him on waivers and hope someone claims him? Ask him to waive it? Just leave him in the minors till he balks and accepts a trade. Prospal is serviceable and it doesn't make much sense to me why TB had to resort to a buyout to get rid of him.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
So if Prospal elects to allow the buy-out and becomes a UFA, any team may sign him to any type of contract and the resulting cap hit would only be affected by the new contract, right? So, if the Flyers signed him for three years at $2.5M per, the cap hit would only be $2.5M?

If Prospal elects to be placed on waivers, what would happen then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Since when does he have a say in this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
He has 24 hours to reject being placed on waivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
He doesn't have a say in being bought out. However, he does have a say in going on waivers. The player can elect not to go on waivers, then he will be bought out immediately.
Quote:
" After a player is notified he is to be bought out, he has 24 hours in which to respond that he will or will not accept being placed on waivers. If he does not want to be put on waivers, the buyout immediately takes effect and the player is an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with any team. If he does not indicate a preference, the player goes on waivers and another team can claim him at the full value of his salary. If he is not claimed, the buyout takes place and the player is free to sign with any team."

- http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/
That blog post is incorrect.

It is only players who have an NMC (and as far as I know, Prospal does not have one) who have the option of accepting or rejecting waivers - all other players must clear waivers before the buyout can proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 11.8
11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.

(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under
Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade
or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3
Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause
extends through and does not become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for
Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior
to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring
Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move
clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and
the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

(b) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player,
whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict
the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to
exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC

hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3
hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The
Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or
reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in
accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24)
hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed
rejected.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
HappyHuman

Question for Tampa fans or anyone who watches Tampa often (anyone?)

What line did Prospal spend most of last season on? Was he with Lecavalier or Stamkos more? Just curious to why his production dropped.

HappyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The fact that he usually gets about two seconds worth of short handed time on ice per game over each of his last few NHL seasons and usually has his team's worst +/-(or somewhere near his team's worst) every year, makes me thing that he's dreadfull defensively. Of course, numbers don't always tell the story. So, Tampa fans, is Prospal really a liability defensively, or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The fact that he usually gets about two seconds worth of short handed time on ice per game over each of his last few NHL seasons and usually has his team's worst +/-(or somewhere near his team's worst) every year, makes me thing that he's dreadfull defensively. Of course, numbers don't always tell the story. So, Tampa fans, is Prospal really a liability defensively, or is there more to it than that? Thanks.
He really is that bad. The effort is there, people see his numbers and assume since he's europeon that he doesn't try which is not true, he just doesn't have the wheels or skill to play any type of defense whatsoever.
Posted via Mobile Device

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Skim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Waivers... which is essentially what the entire post you were quoting talked about.

Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
It's not the same amount of money. It's 2/3 of his remaining salary/cap hit stretched out over twice the length of the remaining contract. Tampa saves one third of his remaining salary and cap space on the deal.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
Put him on waivers and hope someone claims him? Ask him to waive it? Just leave him in the minors till he balks and accepts a trade. Prospal is serviceable and it doesn't make much sense to me why TB had to resort to a buyout to get rid of him.
Something is either done in principle or will be done today or tomorrow. Otherwise I 'd agree with you.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote